Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AlphaNiner
Aug 10, 2013

I have reached enlightenment, thank you bacon!

Tankus posted:

The fact that the Ukrainian economy is against the ropes and is in dire need of assistance. Banks are defaulting and foreign currency, namely dollars and euros, are sky rocking in price while the grivna plummets. Some banks are only allowing withdrawals of 100 grn per day. Economics has never been a super strong point for me, but with Russia freezing bailouts to Ukraine Im curious as to if the Eu will help out, possibly once the region is a bit more stabilized. If any of you guys have any insight I would love to hear it.

I think the EU may help out, but not quite yet until things calm down and there's a more sure sign of what the outcome may be. If what I read is true (about airports being seized) then I'd think it's a bit too hot at the moment and they wouldn't want to throw good money after bad. It's not like the EU is in great shape either.

The real shame is the people facing the brunt of it all, as always - very disheartening.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AlphaNiner
Aug 10, 2013

mobby_6kl posted:

Yep, looks like Russia "securing" the area but really trying to provoke a military response so they can annex the peninsula. Tankus, what's the people's reaction to this? Surely even the Russian-speaking ones (like myself...) wouldn't want parts of the country stolen?

From a news report, it seemed like a lot of people actually supported it due to being "historically" Russian. It was a news report though and is likely to be selective in it's presentation

AlphaNiner
Aug 10, 2013

Smerdyakov posted:

A huge number of people in Crimea supports this, and obviously anyone who feels otherwise is keeping quiet right about now. Also, there's no reason to put "historically" in quotations--it was officially part of the Russian SSR until 1954, and the population there is 80% ethnic Russian. You can't see much of them in the western press, but there have been huge rallies in favor of Putin, defections in the Ukrainian army and navy, etc.

The question is if Crimea has a right to break away just because they want to--and is it even possible for Crimea to agree to rejoining Ukraine in any form now that the genie is out of bottle and the Russian Federation is there in force?

Anyone with any sense knows that the new government in Kiev made a huge mistake by immediately repealing the minority languages law and giving Svoboda cabinet posts, but they're gambling that the western press won't understand what either of those things mean in the domestic political arena. Basically, both sides have a vested interest in hardening their rhetoric rather than trying to find an acceptable middle ground, which is why there's now a very real possibility of something as insanely stupid as war happening.

Agreed, that was a total misuse of quotations on my part and I was trying to make the point which you made - and failed miserably.

Snowdens Secret posted:

No news source is 100% objective, but as long as you recognize the biases and try to balance your sources, the harm is minimized.

Well said, I was/am trying to keep an open and unbiased view on the basis each of the sources may well indeed have their own.

• Locked thread