Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Noctis Horrendae
Nov 1, 2013
Is it true that part of Ukraine has declared itself autonomous or is this some sort of bizarre mistranslation?

Also, have you heard anything about the Crimean region looking to secede (as they apparently have a pro-government stance generally).

e: What's the correct transliteration of Kiev? Kyev or Kiev?

Noctis Horrendae fucked around with this message at 05:12 on Feb 23, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Noctis Horrendae
Nov 1, 2013
"'What if they come to us like they did [in other Ukrainian cities] and try to pull down our Lenin?" said Yulia Anisimova, a 30-year-old lawyer who was organizing women at Sunday's meeting into a medical brigade. "We hope that won't happen, but we want to be prepared." Echoing the Kremlin position, she said what happened last week in Kiev was a coup.'"

Clearly the Crimeans have their priorities in place.

http://m.us.wsj.com/articles/SB10001424052702304610404579401591776273578?mobile=y

Noctis Horrendae
Nov 1, 2013

Tankus posted:

To find a politicians with clean hands in Ukraine would be quite the task. Ukrainians tell me: "Ukraine without corruption is like America without McDonalds" (which more or less also shows what they think Americas relationship to McDonalds is) I think that she just seemed more approachable and she was the sweetheart of the west. A pretty girl with a signature hairstyle is a bit more appealing than a fat grifter criminal. I think that mainly due to the fact that she was so obviously arrested and jailed for political reasons without a fair trail people got pissed off and made her a symbol, I think that even with a fair trail they would bring up some nasty dirt on her.

I think its great that she has been freed and is a great victory for the people of Ukraine who support her, but she honestly needs to stay the gently caress out of higher level politics. Ukraine needs an absolute renaissance in its political system and I would even go so far as to say to change the character of Ukrainians themselves.

There really arent ignorant questions, its a very complicated subject on a relatively undiscussed topic, so Im always glad to throw in my two cents.

I've got some pictures of the new government in Kyev. Give me a minute or two, I'll edit this post.

Ukraine is truly in good hands. I am sure that idiots who go around writing obscure white supremacist phrases in a foreign alphabet on ceremonial helmets are qualified to lead Kyev. The same goes for those who hang flags with Celtic sun crosses in town halls (how did the sun cross come to be associated with these dumbasses anyway?)

Noctis Horrendae fucked around with this message at 02:43 on Feb 26, 2014

Noctis Horrendae
Nov 1, 2013

Tankus posted:

The "ceremonial helmet" is probably a motorcycle helmet in the outlying regions of Kiev or Kyiv, and we all know the sound decisions bikers make. And do you really think that guy is going to be the next leader of Ukraine? I dont get the point youre trying to make. There are radicals, bad eggs, and nut jobs in nearly every group but on the whole supporters of Maidan arent radicals, and even fewer (zero) are racially driven.

That post wasn't meant to be taken seriously, but since you're going that route, here we go. :psylon: from what I can see that's an old Allgemeine SS helmet, but regardless, he's clearly racially motivated - "88" is a shortening of "14/88" and "Viking" is a reference to a Waffen SS division. Looks nothing like a motorcycle helmet to me. There were more radicals in the riots than there were regular citizens..go look at the official numbers.

e: Oops, I was horrifically wrong on the numbers:

400,000–800,000 protesters[49]
12,000 "self-defense sotnia"[50][51]

It's still a fair amount of radicals, though.

Noctis Horrendae
Nov 1, 2013

Earwicker posted:

you are right that the dude wrote a bunch of nazi poo poo on his motorcycle helmet, but that's definitely a motorcycle helmet, you can even see the visor tilted up and it looks nothing at all like an SS helmet

still I dont get why you think a bunch of hardline nationalists and fascists showing up to a riot (which radicals are prone to do) means they'll be forming or dominating the new government

I think they'll have a minor part at least. Looking at it again I see the visor, but it definitely looks SS if you don't look closely.

Noctis Horrendae
Nov 1, 2013
So, unmarked APCs, helicopters and infantry have just invaded Ukraine and taken control of a major airport in Crimea. I haven't read the whole article as I'm at work but this is the gist of it (I think; I read this on a forum news board and just glanced at the summary - that might have been in another article) Gee, I wonder who that could be.

http://m.bbc.com/news/world-europe-26379722

E: Yep, this is the correct article. I bet this is either Crimean militia or some obscure Russian special ops thing.

Noctis Horrendae fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Feb 28, 2014

Noctis Horrendae
Nov 1, 2013
http://www.rferl.mobi/a/russia-considers-adding-regions/25280068.html

Oh look, they conveniently announced this the day unmarked mysterious forces invade a neighbouring peninsula. Gee, now I REALLY wonder who those marines are.

Noctis Horrendae
Nov 1, 2013
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/europe/ukraine/10668357/Russia-admits-that-it-has-moved-troops-in-Ukraine.html

Here we go! They went from outright denying it hours ago to admitting it now. Oh, Russia. I can't wait to see the impending diplomatic clusterfuck - any guesses on what the U.S. will say about this?

E: IIRC marching into foreign territory with unmarked troops directly violates the Geneva Convention, can anyone confirm this? I'm way too excited about this - I really want to see Russia get stomped.

Noctis Horrendae fucked around with this message at 02:04 on Mar 1, 2014

Noctis Horrendae
Nov 1, 2013
Honestly I don't think Ukraine is going to survive much longer on its own with this new government. Judging by recent news Russia wants it back anyway, or at least Crimea. It'll be interesting to see what happens.

Noctis Horrendae
Nov 1, 2013

Seatbelts posted:

I wonder why the "Crimea Defense Forces" (Which admittedly could be largely native Crimean) are stonewalling every journalist\news agency from entering the region, including OSCE observers. What are they so afraid of?
If everyone really does want to join Russia; isn't that all they'd discover?

Do these defence forces want Crimea to remain part of the Ukraine or do they want Crimea to be autonomous? I don't know why I'm so confused about this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Noctis Horrendae
Nov 1, 2013
Ukraine apparently expects U.S. support.

http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2014/03/17/ukraine-sanctions-too-little-too-late.html

Shots fired today, Ukrainian soldier killed.

http://m.washingtonpost.com/news/vo...-wound-another/

This is probably going to spiral into a proper war soon, with or without foreign involvement.

• Locked thread