Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?
There is no emulator for PS2/Gamecube or Wii aside from PCSX2 and Dolphin. You will probably never see anything else for either.

The original Xbox had a bunch of quirks and the video chipset used is extremely poorly documented. Someone had Bochs running the bios, but I don't think it went anywhere.

If you're having trouble with ISOs on Dolphin, you're loving up. I'm not sure how, but you've done something wrong. I don't know what known issues you're talking about.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?
Hardlocking should not be happening in any situation. Go stress test your GPU. Don't use DX9, don't use OpenGL. If the wiki doesn't specifically mention DX11 not working, you should be using DX11.

If you're ripping to Bin/Cue, you're doing it wrong. Gamecube games should always be GCM or ISO, PS2 games should always just be ISO.

Saturn and Dreamcast are confusing clusterfucks.

Could you link to an actual case of ISOs having issues that's actually from a legit copy on one of the wikis?

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?

Hz so good posted:

PCSX2 Wiki:

Dolphin GC Wiki:

These are the ones off the top of my head.

None of these are ISO issues. :psyduck:

Espgaluda hasn't been tested since a damned ancient version. ZeroGS KOSMOS is antiquated.
Fatal Frame 2 works completely fine. I've gone through most of the game with stock settings and 2x textures.
Digital Devil Saga's biggest trouble is that the shadows are on crack and make no sense. Otherwise, it runs completely fine on my 14" laptop.
There isn't even an issue with the Simpsons Hit and Run link. The wiki is literally saying that it runs fine. 30/60 = 30fps internal, 60fps rendered, which is fairly normal.

The Baten Kaitos glitch is probably fixed. It's been quite a while since 3.5, too.
The Luigi's Mansion glitch is legit and is still present in 4.0. Try the SVNs?
Rogue Leader 1/2 is dead as hell and is on the list of games that just don't work. Most of the licensed Star War games are batshit insane and have issues. See also: The n64 games.
Tales of Symphonia just requires OpenGL and the projection hack, which is automatically enabled.
Killer7 is playable on PCSX2 and should be played there.

Are you obtaining lovely ISOs or using emucr builds of things?

Also: Yeah, DX9 is removed from Dolphin 4.0. Most of the things fixed by DX9 are fine in DX11 or OpenGL now.

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?

Hz so good posted:

Duly noted.

K, then can anybody point me towards english language guides to getting NullDC, demul, or SSF running reliably? Seems like everytime it's one step forward, too steps back.

And has anybody every gotten Daphne to work? It would be nice to see things like Dragons Lair/Space Ace in their original format.

And I really *really* wish some movement would be made on emulating the original Xbox. All of mine died, due to faulty disc drives. Very frustrating. I had more trouble with it, than my launch X360.

Nobody is going to make progress on the Xbox. You can not expect anyone to make progress on the Xbox. You can spend $30 and get a used one. The only conceivable way anyone is going to make Xbox progress is if like, the Dolphin team skitter off and do another miracle like PPSSPP. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ExesNliatcc This is the newest progress anyone's made since like, 2010. If you know what DLL Hell is on older versions of Windows, imagine that, except it's usually a different set of XDK files for each game.

NullDC is fairly straightforward unless you're using more lovely ISOs. demul doesn't make much sense and I've never bothered with it. Focus on just running the game normally instead of trying to get it running at a high definition or anything.

There are english guides to running SSF if you google "SSF emulator." :psyduck: You can also use Bizhawk which uses the Yabause engine.

Daphne has a working guide on their website.

MAME has a different romset than Kawaks and NeoRageX. MAME also has different romsets depending on its version. MAME is kind of insane.

Some actual good information:

The TAS versions of emulators are usually good choices. Bizhawk works on a fuckton of systems and uses the most accurate cores possible. If you have a computer with a working processor
PCSX2 has a thread here: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3255267&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=1
The Dolphin thread is gone, but if you have archives, they're helpful. Maybe it's time for a new one? Dolphin has been getting easier and easier to deal with since the old glory days when people were buying newfangled dualcores to run Smash Bros at 15fps.

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?
If you get a memory card with a cable, modding the Xbox takes about three minutes. You just need one of like four games that the Xbox flips out on.

It then becomes the second best SNES/GBA/PSX ever, with the PSP being the best. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?

Minty Swagger posted:

Has there been progress on emulators for PSP in the last 2-4 years? Mine has been collecting dust and I'd love to break it out and get it all updated and cleaned up, but I'm curious if there's been progress on any of the emulators, they all sort of felt thrown together, or poorly tranlated from Japanese etc, just working "well enough" with a weird janky menus. Did someone come in and drop a retroarch type program that just controls everything now?

GPSP is pretty much perfect for GBA. uosnes9x is good enough if you're not on a PSP 1000. RIN is extremely good for GB/GBC games except sometimes it locks when you change GBC games around.

It's still a little janky, but it works fine.

Hz so good posted:

Which four games does it flip out on?

It's three, I was remembering one wrong.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Softmod

You could also google a bunch of other stuff.

also: bighand crew, the xbox controller d still owns. I had mine laying on my desk for use as a tiny fightstick for a while. :v:

• Locked thread