Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
weed cat
Dec 23, 2010

weed cat is back, and he loves to suck dick

:sueme:

this is so loving god damned cool

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

longview posted:

strictly speaking I'm not allowed to put antennas up at all but nobody's complained about a mobile whip and a discretely installed Royal Discone on a tripod, and I hid a slim jim for the D-Star in a corner

i love stealthing antennas and have had metal in the sky at every place in the past 10 years.

My favorite was when I lived on the ground floor of 3 story apartment building, and right next to my radio room's window were a few vertical PVC pipes running all the way up the building for HVAC drains. I bought a few pieces of the same size and color PVC, built a vertical dipole inside it for 2 meters at the very top, and ran a second coax line up the inside and strung 40 feet of magnet wire onto it. Then under cover of night, I assembled it in the parking lot, threw it up next to the existing pipes and zip tied it to one of them. Then took a chunk of fishing line with a big sinker attached, flung it up in a tree, and pulled the magnet wire up so it was roughly horizontal and about 20 feet off the ground. Stayed up and nobody said a peep for 2 years.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

longview posted:

But we can do better, enter the superheterodyne receiver shamelessly borrowed from wikipedia:

I call this trick "Two boxes, one radio"

So I picked up a couple of these off ebay for about 30 bucks apiece. The Icom PCR-100 wideband computer controlled receiver:

This is *not* an SDR. This is a full wideband AM/FM/FM Wide receiver that covers 500 KHz to well over 1ghz.

One day I was poking around and thought I'd try to use my HF radio as a final stage, and take the 10.7 MHz IF out of the PCR into the Icom.

Found an appropriate point in the 10.7 section to pull a signal off, ran a little bit of coax to that point and connected it via a little bitty cap. Then put an RCA on the end of the coax, plugged it into the HF radio's RX antenna in, and tuned to 10.7 MHz. Then I fired up the PCR100 software and started tuning around. Signals started showing up on the 735! I basically made a tunable wideband receive converter that used the HF radio as a very tuned final stage - consider that I almost had two full radios' worth of filtering on the incoming signal!

Very fun experiment and I did use it to successfully receive SSB from the VO-52 satellite.

longview
Dec 25, 2006

heh.
that's a cool trick, I guess that's why some scanners have IF outputs, would save a little time

my proudest radio hacker moment was sitting in a dark hotel room on a business trip at 11 pm and working out that my Tecsun PL-660 receiver was misaligned by 1 kHz from the factory and using a leatherman charge and SignalScope on my iphone to align the BFO with some shady russian pictures as a reference, then aligning it by tuning +-1 kHz from RWM at 4995 kHz and checking the AF frequency on the audio analyzer app

checked it after, perfectly aligned :c00lbert:

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

longview posted:

that's a cool trick, I guess that's why some scanners have IF outputs, would save a little time

my proudest radio hacker moment was sitting in a dark hotel room on a business trip at 11 pm and working out that my Tecsun PL-660 receiver was misaligned by 1 kHz from the factory and using a leatherman charge and SignalScope on my iphone to align the BFO with some shady russian pictures as a reference, then aligning it by tuning +-1 kHz from RWM at 4995 kHz and checking the AF frequency on the audio analyzer app

checked it after, perfectly aligned :c00lbert:

it's all about having your tonge out at the correct angle when making adjustments

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan

duTrieux. posted:

this thread is really loving cool.

Hell yeah

Fax Sender
Aug 11, 2013

kiss my ass
radio is hella cool for esoteric reasons and will never be obsolete. it may be changing, but it will always be used in some capacity

maniacdevnull
Apr 18, 2007

FOUR CUBIC FRAMES
DISPROVES SOFT G GOD
YOU ARE EDUCATED STUPID

Jonny 290 posted:

i love stealthing antennas and have had metal in the sky at every place in the past 10 years.

My favorite was when I lived on the ground floor of 3 story apartment building, and right next to my radio room's window were a few vertical PVC pipes running all the way up the building for HVAC drains. I bought a few pieces of the same size and color PVC, built a vertical dipole inside it for 2 meters at the very top, and ran a second coax line up the inside and strung 40 feet of magnet wire onto it. Then under cover of night, I assembled it in the parking lot, threw it up next to the existing pipes and zip tied it to one of them. Then took a chunk of fishing line with a big sinker attached, flung it up in a tree, and pulled the magnet wire up so it was roughly horizontal and about 20 feet off the ground. Stayed up and nobody said a peep for 2 years.

poo poo like this rules

i have an old tv antenna on the side of my house and it looks like i will be mr big spender and actually pay for television service and my new place, is there any cool radio nerd things i can do with it? tv is uhf/vhf right?

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

longview posted:

I suppose there might be cordless phones around that use 2.4, over here all that stuff is at 800 MHz and will soon have to fight with 4G LTE transmitters.

SDR# is supposed to be fairly easy to write plugins for, if you want to receive multiple frequencies you might want to set it up as a scanner or just get some more dongles for $10 a piece and a T piece to connect the same antenna like I did (it's not perfect but it works just fine)

the connector on those TV dongles is usually a MCX connector, an adapter to SMA would let you connect a more standard antenna

you probably also want to adjust the gain in the settings to the point where the noise floor starts rising, as well as making sure the ppm adjustment (frequency correction) is somewhat reasonable, in the picture I posted of the UHF transmission it was pretty far off center

one of the dongles I have can actually be so far off it can't receive a narrow signal without adjustment

sdr# you mean i didnt have to do that work thing in loving gnuradio i could have used something civilized

Tangra
May 1, 2008

Rrrreligion?

It's the catnip of the purrrrrrrrletariat

Mad about your :10bux: ?

:haw:

gracias padre

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.
i need to hurry the gently caress up and get my general so i can hike up into the hills and psk-31

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

the good folks at the Maritime Historical Radio Society are keeping the coast radio station KPH running. it's got a transmit site in Bolinas, CA with a receive site further north on Point Reyes, connected via telephone (leased line? idk). They use the original transmitters, receivers, and antennas, and keep it running.

here's some ~art photos~ I took in the receive site building, which is open on saturdays (I think) and maybe other days too

KPH 1 by atomicthumbs, on Flickr

this picture has the phone numbers on that piece of paper on the left censored so you fuckers can't call up and turn their transmitter on and off remotely. here's the full size so you can read the other parts if you're interested

KPH 2 by atomicthumbs, on Flickr

this room is full of digital teletypes and old computers. the thing in the rack on the upper left is a "RAINFALL ACCUMULATOR". one of the teleprinters has the station's final commercial message (in its original incarnation) from 1997 as the last thing on the paper output roll which is just cool as gently caress

KPH 3 by atomicthumbs, on Flickr

AMTOR teletypes

KPH 4 by atomicthumbs, on Flickr

I have no idea what the gently caress these are (other than "RCA model 901") but one of them is labeled "INTRUDER ALARM"

KPH 5 by atomicthumbs, on Flickr

my_posting_station.jpg

KPH 6 by atomicthumbs, on Flickr

the main operating station, with a very noisy teletype actively printing out messages from folks

KPH 7 by atomicthumbs, on Flickr

Richard Dillman co-founded the Maritime Historical Radio Society and is a volunteer operator for KPH. Here he's talking with some "characters" (his word, not mine) on the teletype

KPH 8 by atomicthumbs, on Flickr

and sending the daily sign-off message with his Vibroplex

KPH 9 by atomicthumbs, on Flickr

receive antennas; there's a very complicated counterweight system attached to the building side of these

KPH 10 by atomicthumbs, on Flickr

more receive antennas

Delicate Traceries of Shortwave Antennas Hang Between Steel Poles by atomicthumbs, on Flickr

Transmission antennas at Bolinas

The transmission site of the former coast radio station KPH. by atomicthumbs, on Flickr

more transmission antennas

atomicthumbs fucked around with this message at 11:52 on Feb 23, 2014

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

EMERGENCY SHUT DOWN

IF RS [receive site] LOSES POWER THE TONES AND TELL LINE DROP AND THE BL [Bolinas] TX3 ALL DROP H7 [?] AND SO THEY ARE OFF THE AIR -- BUT THE FILAMENTS ARE STILL ON. IF POWER IS NOT RESTORED TO RS SOON, CALL INTO BL FROM A WORKING PHONE AND TURN OFF THE FILAMENTS AS PER THE USUAL SHUTDOWN.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

this overly enthusiastic australian dude visited an analog TV transmitter station recently, p interesting stuff:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mR_wJkxKSXU

spankmeister fucked around with this message at 14:03 on Feb 23, 2014

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
yesterday i put a big rear end antenna on the truck. phear my movie maker skills

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-y3zcBO279k

more clips encoding

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

aaaag all those different baofeng UV-5x versions are making me crazy i don't know which to get

i'm just gonna get a random one i guess

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
just get the UV5RA if you are wanting to keep it cheaper, or get the GT3 if you want a better display and can spend a few more bucks

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Jonny 290 posted:

just get the UV5RA if you are wanting to keep it cheaper, or get the GT3 if you want a better display and can spend a few more bucks

i'm seeing these plus versions, they appear to have a bit more freq range:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Latest-Vers...=item43c14abb79

goes up to 520MHz i.s.o. 480MHz

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
Ah, go for one of those then (though that is a plus just b/c its an indication of a later firmware, not b/c there's anything between 480 and 520 at least in the US)
encoding another video, CB this time - stand by

Jonny 290 fucked around with this message at 16:48 on Feb 23, 2014

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Jonny 290 posted:

Ah, go for one of those then (though that is a plus just b/c its an indication of a later firmware, not b/c there's anything between 480 and 520 at least in the US)
encoding another video, CB this time - stand by

after listening to that i'm reconsidering this purchase, however.

e: caught your vid before you ninja edited

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice
can i ask dumb newbie questions about OTA tv antennas and reception itt?

i'm thinking about putting an antenna in my attic, but the thing is, i have a metal (tin i think) ceiling in the room below the area where the antenna would go*. will this interfere with the antenna and thus make this effort moot? i don't want to go to the trouble of running a cable, buying and mounting the antenna, etc if it's not going to work

crazy follow up question - could i use the ceiling as an antenna? :science:

* to simplify a bit, pretend the transmitter i'm mostly going for is north, the antenna in the attic would be facing that and the tin ceiling would be south of that

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
yes, OTA is fine. I was listening to FM broadcast via a remote receiver in Eugene last night

CB PARTY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rBZINt_c4v4

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice
to clarify, this is a metal ceiling, not a metal roof. it's for ~*~*aesthetics*~*~

Phobeste
Apr 9, 2006

never, like, count out Touchdown Tom, man
the ceo where i work just told all of us that if we get a ham license he'll buy our first radios (presumably handy talkies), should i go for it?

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Cold on a Cob posted:

to clarify, this is a metal ceiling, not a metal roof. it's for ~*~*aesthetics*~*~

it will act as a sort of ground plane. as long as your OTA antenna is a few feet above it, you'll be fine. Just dont set it six inches off the thing and expect great operation

PuTTY riot
Nov 16, 2002

Jonny 290 posted:

if you buy the uv-5ra ull likely get the uv-5rax+ which is fine it's the same radio w/ newest firmware

def get the USB cable also

PuTTY riot
Nov 16, 2002

Phobeste posted:

the ceo where i work just told all of us that if we get a ham license he'll buy our first radios (presumably handy talkies), should i go for it?

depends on how nice of a HT i'd imagine

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice

Jonny 290 posted:

it will act as a sort of ground plane. as long as your OTA antenna is a few feet above it, you'll be fine. Just dont set it six inches off the thing and expect great operation

ok cool thanks

fwiw i'm reading up on using a metal roof as an antenna because lol if it could be done that easily, apparently it can work for am radio but obviously not the best idea b/c of lightning.

anyhow thinking about it more, tv antennas are directional so no surprise a big flat piece of metal won't work :downs:

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
an example of the equivalent of AOL scrollers on 20 meters, and then some actual ham activity on 40 meters:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FQiut9ddSFQ

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
!!!! freeband CB pirates !!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_6d3tylJQHU

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
in about two hours we're going to go out and see if we can pick up Saudisat SO-50

motedek
Oct 9, 2012

PuTTY riot
Nov 16, 2002

Jonny 290 posted:

in about two hours we're going to go out and see if we can pick up Saudisat SO-50

im sure this isn't gonna work but im gonna tune in to this freq on this ht and try to hear u jonny

PuTTY riot
Nov 16, 2002
holy poo poo i think it worked. turned sql down to 0 and walked around the yard like an idiot

PuTTY riot
Nov 16, 2002
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M-2cA9E2yjk

PuTTY riot
Nov 16, 2002
that image stabilization or whatever that is is gonna make me sick lol sry ab that

maniacdevnull
Apr 18, 2007

FOUR CUBIC FRAMES
DISPROVES SOFT G GOD
YOU ARE EDUCATED STUPID

PuTTY riot posted:

that image stabilization or whatever that is is gonna make me sick lol sry ab that

lol it looks like the intro to archer

longview
Dec 25, 2006

heh.

atomicthumbs posted:

here's some ~art photos~ I took in the receive site building, which is open on saturdays (I think) and maybe other days too

loving it, when i'm old I'm gonna move to the country and just be a cranky old hermit with tons of antennas and stuff, surrounded by teletypes

spankmeister posted:

this overly enthusiastic australian dude visited an analog TV transmitter station recently, p interesting stuff:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mR_wJkxKSXU

EEVBlog is awesome, I prefer Mike's Electric Stuff videos when he posts them because they're always straight to the point, like today he posted a video about filling a tub with water and enameled wire to make a 800W dummy load
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WECW88rJYrE

anyway today I cursed a lot when I did some work on my D-Star hotspot setup, replacing the wire-in-plug cable between the controller and the radio with an actual cable
it was awful because the DV-RPTR guys hosed up the pinout on the PS/2 style connector (my least favourite connector) so I just had to try, measure, try again etc for about 30 minutes and the only solder I had around was the devils own lead free non eutectic so all the connections look like poo poo
this is the second time I have had to deal with this exact same problem, the first time it took us about 2 hours to work out that the pinout was useless, then another hour to get it to work

also improved the range by about 2x by installing a 455 kHz notch filter on the IF output tap I use to get the straight FM discriminator output from this old rear end radio

over all the DV-RPTR is a pretty neat bit of kit, it's basically just a GMSK packet radio modem, so it doesn't need to decode the actual DV voice signal, instead it just looks at the stream-headers to read out commands and to/from fields, and sends the AMBE signal over the internet (ethernet port, uses pro as gently caress telnet to connect to the gateway controller) to other repeaters
the expensive version includes the AMBE codec chip and a user interface so it can be used with a 9600 compatible radio to make a D-Star radio instead of just acting as a repeater controller and node adapter

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

longview posted:

EEVBlog is awesome, I prefer Mike's Electric Stuff videos when he posts them because they're always straight to the point, like today he posted a video about filling a tub with water and enameled wire to make a 800W dummy load
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WECW88rJYrE

yeah eevblog owns my only problem is that the guy Dave likes to ramble a bit, stretching a 10 minute video into 40 minutes.

mikeselectricstuff owns too my only gripe with that one is that he needs to post more

:justpost:

i saw his vid on the dummy load earlier, the idea is brilliant

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

congratulations you just received radio signals from a satellite in mothafuckin' SPACE

I didn't hear poo poo on that pass because i plugged in the wrong antenna, lol

trying again in about 5min

(oh and im not transmitting i dont have the other radio set up)

• Locked thread