Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tangra
May 1, 2008

Rrrreligion?

It's the catnip of the purrrrrrrrletariat

Mad about your :10bux: ?

:haw:

PuTTY riot posted:

ya i started lookin on CL and theres a couple

http://jonesboro.craigslist.org/ele/4328244532.html

122 buck on Ebay

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_kw=Tektronix+2247A+Oscilloscope

goddam CL rapists

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PuTTY riot
Nov 16, 2002

ya but theres another day left in that auction

PuTTY riot
Nov 16, 2002
I have this baseball card that's worth $10,000 cause someone on ebay has one for sale for that much

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

maniacdevnull posted:

i need to go dumpster diving where you live

i want a sillyscope so bad, where can i get a good n cheap one that can let me spy on, lets say, 57600baud serial traffic?

57.6kbaud traffic you could spy on with a good sound card

Fax Sender
Aug 11, 2013

kiss my ass
bloody you are an ee right?

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

technically yes

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

ive only once debugged a serial port with a sound card it was a funny and awful experience and i dont really recommend it

Crankit
Feb 7, 2011

HE WATCHES

Jonny 290 posted:

dead bug is still a valid construction method for RF circuits

that's a completely functional 20 meter (14 mhz) CW transciever (transmitter and receiver) that somebody just loving built out of parts and pieces of circuit board.

even the chassis is made of pieces of circuit board

incidentally that's manhattan construction, not dead bug.

Zap!
May 15, 2002

Nuts.

Crankit posted:

Yeah there's a 6 lead DIP in the upper right corner that is laying the wrong way for a dead bug.

Jonny, this thread is awesome.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Crankit posted:

<--shame

you're correct though :) i love the angry greybeard thread

LP0 ON FIRE
Jan 25, 2006

beep boop
so the US really has everything allocated in terms of radio waves except for the lower 3 kHz range?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

what is a good, relatively cheap (let's say up to $200 used) 2m/70cm radio for a beginner? i got my license almost a year ago and haven't used it at all. i live in dc, so i imagine the longer waves are prob not best for me

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
yeah, that doesn't mean they're actually used though. We may have 28 mhz of shortwave bands allocated all told, but there are only like four or five domestic shortwave stations and the only non-religious one, Voice of America, isn't allowed to target US citizens. It's meant for international listeners only. This rule is stupid and backwards.

Crankit
Feb 7, 2011

HE WATCHES

Zap! posted:

Yeah there's a 6 lead DIP in the upper right corner that is laying the wrong way for a dead bug.

and all the other components too, with dead bug the majority of component legs would be joined up in the air, but that board has little islands of copper plated board which i guess are like manhattan?
here's a vid of a dead bug circuit being made https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cQs8W9FaoTU
and manhattan circuit https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7qXnRevkVw0
skip to 2 minutes in on both

Zap! posted:

Jonny, this thread is awesome.

yes

longview
Dec 25, 2006

heh.

Jonny 290 posted:

poo poo i wish

that's actually really clean

it's clean but you can tell it's basically a DC circuit by all the right angle bends all over the place

air-wired over a copper ground plane except for one part I saw in the power supply, don't know what you'd call that

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

http://pittsburgh.craigslist.org/ele/4318150290.html

i'm guessing by the look of the thing that this would be more of a novelty than a useful tool, what do you guys think

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

also this http://youngstown.craigslist.org/ele/4284528224.html

Zap!
May 15, 2002

Nuts.

Endless Mike posted:

what is a good, relatively cheap (let's say up to $200 used) 2m/70cm radio for a beginner? i got my license almost a year ago and haven't used it at all. i live in dc, so i imagine the longer waves are prob not best for me

Seems like some people like these BaoFeng cheap HTs as beginner radios/throwaways. For $40, seems like a real cheap way to get hooked until you get a better rig.

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

wow nice fuckin WAP site from 2002

longview
Dec 25, 2006

heh.
http://hamgear.wordpress.com/2014/01/04/chinas-best-and-worst-of-2013/

maniacdevnull
Apr 18, 2007

FOUR CUBIC FRAMES
DISPROVES SOFT G GOD
YOU ARE EDUCATED STUPID

can you get a vanity callsign? do hams east of the Mississippi get W callsigns like radio/tv stations? if possible id really like to have one that starts with whiskey mike

even better get whiskey romeo and connect it to an arduino that just blasts out random posts from the reddit pua board on cw

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

that's the yosposest thing i've seen in a while

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Zap! posted:

Seems like some people like these BaoFeng cheap HTs as beginner radios/throwaways. For $40, seems like a real cheap way to get hooked until you get a better rig.
thanks. i ordered a uv-82, since that link seems to like it a hair more than the 5r and it wasn't much more expensive. i'd get a b5 since those seems cheaper, but none of the sellers seem particularly trustworthy

Fax Sender
Aug 11, 2013

kiss my ass
any good resources for studying for license?

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

from one traffic cone to another, i bring you this quote

PuTTY riot posted:

heres what seems to be a pretty good study website, i like that it tracks progress on each subelement so u know what to work on:

https://hamstudy.org

gonna finish up technician tmw and then rest of the week is gonna be general. i think extra is way too lofty @ this point maybe ill get it later.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

this is probably a better bet. If you want to test to make sure it can at least display a trace, make a little 1/8" plug cable with just stripped wire ends and bring it when you go look, then play some music through your phone through the cable and hit the bare wire with a probe (dont forget to hook up ground too), you should see the music bumpin' on the scope

if they don't have a probe and claim it works, tell em to kick rocks

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

thanks jonny ur the best <3

e:

Jonny 290 posted:

if they don't have a probe and claim it works, tell em to kick rocks

BK PRECISION 1472C 15 MHz, TRIGGERED SWEEP, Sorry no PROBES
Good for Ham Shack.

welp

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

today i decoded some p2000 emergency services pager signals using my RTLSDR dongle and some software:

p. neat

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

spankmeister posted:

today i decoded some p2000 emergency services pager signals using my RTLSDR dongle and some software:

p. neat

super hot, nice. feel free to kick deetz on the software down, I don't know poo poo about the rtlsdr stuff yet and am ordering a dongle tomorrow

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

u deserve diploma for sublime comedy expertise
if i buy that cheap handset you mentioned in the cj thread what can i do with it?

the one that whoever the gently caress bought

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Jonny 290 posted:

super hot, nice. feel free to kick deetz on the software down, I don't know poo poo about the rtlsdr stuff yet and am ordering a dongle tomorrow

ok so i got a DVB-T dongle with the RTL2832U and a RT820 tuner chip. the 820 has a bit less range on the high end than the E4000 (1800 ish vs 2200 is) but the E4000 has a gap around 1.2Ghz or so? I'm not 100% on these numbers but ballpark.

then i used SDR# (google for sdrsharp) which is a good program for working with these things.
Looks like this:

(not my pic)

e: the usb driver is finicky for this setup, the sdr-install on http://rtlsdr.org/softwarewindows takes care of that

then you have to have a monitor mode thingy on your soundcard, on some cards it's called "stereo mix", or "what u hear" or something. this is so you get the audio output from SDR# into the decoder software

the software to decode pager stuff is called PDW, it does all kinds of pager protocols. the screenshot i posted in my previous post is PDW.

it's real finicky to set up right because you have to get the levels properly set up and there's like 5 different places you can set volume.
i couldn't get anything to work right until i found this guide:

http://www.rtl-sdr.com/rtl-sdr-tutorial-pocsag-pager-decoding/

the thing i was having trouble with was fixed with these settings:

Tune to a pager POCSAG/Flex signal. Set the receive mode to NFM, filter bandwidth to 12500 Hz, filter order to 10, and turn squelch OFF, and filter audio OFF. Adjust the RF gain settings under the Configure menu until good reception is achieved.

PDW does a whole bunch of protocols. the only thing to remember is that you can only do 2FSK this way, if you want 4FSK you need a "discriminator" or whatever.

spankmeister fucked around with this message at 20:09 on Feb 26, 2014

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

transfatphobic posted:

if i buy that cheap handset you mentioned in the cj thread what can i do with it?

the one that whoever the gently caress bought

yeah i reckon you can if the pager freqs in the us are in the range of what the baofeng can receive. all you need then is a sound card and a whole lotta time to mess with a 100 gain sliders

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

spankmeister posted:

ok so i got a DVB-T dongle with the RTL2832U and a RT820 tuner chip. the 820 has a bit less range on the high end than the E4000 (1800 ish vs 2200 is) but the E4000 has a gap around 1.2Ghz or so? I'm not 100% on these numbers but ballpark.
PDW does a whole bunch of protocols. the only thing to remember is that you can only do 2FSK this way, if you want 4FSK you need a "discriminator" or whatever.

Very informative! We should experiment with the other modulations because a discriminator tap is just a wider signal without any lowpass filtering, i'd imagine we can figure it out.

super excited to get that thing now

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Jonny 290 posted:

Very informative! We should experiment with the other modulations because a discriminator tap is just a wider signal without any lowpass filtering, i'd imagine we can figure it out.

super excited to get that thing now
right, that makes sense. the SDR can do whatever so the only limit is the sound card. maybe if you just use 192Khz it'll be wide enough. i don't know if PDW can handle that.

the creator did opensource it a while ago so there are certainly possibilities.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

there's some ERMES signals flying around here which is 4FSK so i can do some testing.

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

fuckit i'm emailing about the old tektronix. i don't care if it's less "useful," it is dope

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

what else can you do with an rtlsdr?

yeah, that's right. motherfucking airplane transponders bitch!

next up is plotting them on a map but planeplotter is being annoying

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

the google map plugin isn't working but here's a live chart of overhead planes:

i think i'm at the limits of my setup SNR wise because i'm missing data but the standard whip antenna that comes with it has worked so far. it's inside on my desk and i've made no effort on placement or w/e.

relative_q
Sep 9, 2008

shame on a kitty who try to run game on a kitty

wu buck wild wit tha trigga

Werthog 95 posted:

fuckit i'm emailing about the old tektronix. i don't care if it's less "useful," it is dope

dammit ive been eyeballing that thing for like two weeks hemming and hawing over whether i'd buy it

although i guess if you buy it that makes the decision for me and its not like i have anywhere to put it right now anyway

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

already emailed the guy :getin: asked him about probes and he said he'd send some pics on friday since he's in harrisburg right now

• Locked thread