Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Jonny 290 posted:

set them to japan, you should get channel 14, nobody cares, go fuckin hog wild
14 is far enough from 11 that it should be pretty rock solid

cool. so do ppl get really mad if you use any of the ham bands for ur own personal wireless links?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
You'd take out a literal entire band if you operated on lower freqs. like, the 2 meter band, most popular for local comms, is only 4 MHz wide. wifi signal is like 20, 40 MHz.

the most likely candidate for best band would be on the 13cm band, which is right below the wifi band. You could retune (or hell maybe even reprogram if it's SDR) an AP to this, in 90% of the country nobody would ever notice because hams are not on that band. And it's not used for satellites right now, which means the only dudes on it are going to be microwave sperglords talking to each other from different mountaintops. They'd get _hella_ pissed and would be very able to track you down because their antennas are so directional, but really, its not an issue.

i dont want to come across as seeming that i'm advocating pirate activity, im just laying down the truths. i respect (only the) amateur radio division of the FCC, and appreciate the fact that I have such a nice license to play with my beloved radio toys. That being said, some of the laws are stupid and pointless

PuTTY riot
Nov 16, 2002

Jonny 290 posted:

i dont want to come across as seeming that i'm advocating pirate activity, im just laying down the truths. i respect (only the) amateur radio division of the FCC, and appreciate the fact that I have such a nice license to play with my beloved radio toys. That being said, some of the laws are stupid and pointless

i don't wanna make this thread LFy at all but there's this thing the FCC is doing w/ news organizations thats in the news and its just like :psyduck: :wtf: go do ur job and manage spectrum and fining NBC or whoever for nip slips what the gently caress are you even doing?

Crankit
Feb 7, 2011

HE WATCHES
what percentage of hams are sperglords?

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
Way fewer than you think. The whole point of ham radio is to talk to other people.

now if you ask 'engineers', i have some different and far more depressing data for you

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Jonny 290 posted:

You'd take out a literal entire band if you operated on lower freqs. like, the 2 meter band, most popular for local comms, is only 4 MHz wide. wifi signal is like 20, 40 MHz.

the most likely candidate for best band would be on the 13cm band, which is right below the wifi band. You could retune (or hell maybe even reprogram if it's SDR) an AP to this, in 90% of the country nobody would ever notice because hams are not on that band. And it's not used for satellites right now, which means the only dudes on it are going to be microwave sperglords talking to each other from different mountaintops. They'd get _hella_ pissed and would be very able to track you down because their antennas are so directional, but really, its not an issue.

i think it would just be kind of interesting to play w/ radio gear to send digital signals for funsies. getting licensed sounds like a pain tho.

Crankit
Feb 7, 2011

HE WATCHES

Shaggar posted:

i think it would just be kind of interesting to play w/ radio gear to send digital signals for funsies. getting licensed sounds like a pain tho.

In the US it's an easy exam and it costs about $15.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
The only easier federal exam i have ever seen is the certification to handle R12 refrigerant and it's an online test and you pay $20 once and can retake for free and they give you the answer key

PuTTY riot
Nov 16, 2002

Shaggar posted:

technician is pretty EZPZ if u like went to college or w/e and had to learn how to study. it's mostly 'u can't transmit music unless it's incidental to authorized retransmission from ISS' and poo poo like that.

PuTTY riot
Nov 16, 2002

Jonny 290 posted:

The only easier federal exam i have ever seen is the certification to handle R12 refrigerant and it's an online test and you pay $20 once and can retake for free and they give you the answer key

*vents a bunch of refrigerant into environment*

oh sorry it was leaking!!!

longview
Dec 25, 2006

heh.
It's $330 for a norwegian license, there's no tiers though so everyone can do all bands and the same power limits

PuTTY riot
Nov 16, 2002
speaking of exams i'm moving my focus now to the general exam. extra gonna have to wait

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat
my father is really into radios in general and has a lot of ham poo poo (he runs a SteppIR in the backyard). i dont have any pics of his rig but he's also into really old poo poo:

this is a 1947 Scott "Metropolitan" Model 16A:

this a 1948 HH Scott 910-CB Dynamic Noise Suppressor:

a Crosley 1199 / 1126:

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
also is the 2.4/5ghz ranges used by wifi a free fire zone or do those devices need to be licensed?

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
Unlicensed up to certain power levels. From what I understand, with a few exceptions the rule is 30 dBm (decibels relative to one milliwatt) effective radiated power, with a 3:1 antenna to radio gain waiver. This is comparable to a perfect (theoretical) antenna transmitting one watt.

The 3:1 rule means: If you reduce your output power by 1 dB you can increase your antenna gain by 3 dB. This means that if you backed your power down to 20 dBm (100 mW output), you could put a 30 dB gain antenna on it (this would be either a long yagi or a medium sized dish), and have effective 50 dBm power (equivalent to 100 watts through that same imaginary perfect antenna) - albeit in a very concentrated, focused beam just a couple of degrees wide. think fixed point to point

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat
this thing is a combination projection tv, turntable, and radio all in one. it's the 1947 RCA 648PV Rear-Projection Television Console. adjusted for inflation, it cost like $30,000

PuTTY riot
Nov 16, 2002

Jonny 290 posted:

think fixed point to point

is this why my radio thinks someone's transmitting on the FD freq when i drive over an overpass that's line of sight to a water tower w/ antennas on it? it's the same spot

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
that's just pure intermodulation/overload. The downside of the whizbang $50 chinese radios is that they have no filtering on the front end. it's just a fact of life at that cost point. This is a big reason why people like me troll ebay for 30 year old icom radios and poo poo - back in the day, these things were built like brick shithouses because the cops, the FD, EVERYBODY was on the 150-174 MHz band in the 70s and 80s, and you quite simply had to filter the gently caress out of the signals otherwise the cop repeater would overload your ham rig 24/7, even though you weren't tuned to it. Now, the VHF bands are quieter so you can get away with less front end filtering, which lets you sell a dual band radio for 50 bucks

PuTTY riot
Nov 16, 2002
makes sense. wife said that the county EMA guy at safety training was asking if there were any hams and she said nobody raised their hand lol. i know there's at least one guy we work w/ who does so maybe he'll be in my session this afternoon

PuTTY riot
Nov 16, 2002
local WX radio station is down. wonder if its maintenance or if its jsut broken

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

:stonk:

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Soiled Meat

they knew how to wire poo poo back then

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

honestly this poo poo is WAY easier to troubleshoot and debug than printed circuit boards

i love point to point stuff

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Soiled Meat

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
dead bug is still a valid construction method for RF circuits

that's a completely functional 20 meter (14 mhz) CW transciever (transmitter and receiver) that somebody just loving built out of parts and pieces of circuit board.

even the chassis is made of pieces of circuit board

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Soiled Meat
oh hey i found my fathers rig in my email:

also a signal counter he found in the trash somewhere he used to sperg out on his radios:

"Channel 23 should be 27,255,000.0 Hz, not 27,255,254.9 Hz!"

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
oh my god

that kenwood setup

oh my godddddddddddddddddddddddd

pops has excellent taste across the board. wow wow wow

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Soiled Meat
i wish i had the picture of the ungodly linear amplifier he got his hands on, i'll see if i can dig it up.

he also rescued this from the trash which is p. cool (analog help menu):

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

i'm not a radio nerd but i've got a bit of a chub goin on right now

(not to disparage radio nerds, radio is awesome)

Crankit
Feb 7, 2011

HE WATCHES
did jonny mention homebrew radios? that probably would interest some guys.

i think the amateur radio service is the only licence that lets you build your own radio and operate it, that's what interested me, not the thing that old guys tend to mention: you can talk around the world using the same power aas a lightbulb.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
homebrew is awesome and if I can finish unwinding this spare power transformer I found, we're going to build a crystal radio in this thread over the next week or so as I have time

I have personally only homebrewed simple stuff like audio interfaces and preamps, but given some parts/test equipment and the ability to design and build myself, i could deffo crank something nice out. its just a matter of subdividing your tasks and building things up as subassemblies/modules

the test equipment is far more important than the parts. you can't desolder oscilloscopes from dead transistor radios and old power supplies

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

my_posting_rig.jpg

drat you pops has a lot of cool stuff man, great condition too by the looks of it.

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Soiled Meat

spankmeister posted:

my_posting_rig.jpg

drat you pops has a lot of cool stuff man, great condition too by the looks of it.

yeah, that TV/turntable/radio combo is like the only working one in the world or some poo poo.

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

Jonny 290 posted:

-On a camping trip, hooked a laptop to a battery powered HF radio, threw a wire in a tree and basically IRC'ed with South Africans and Europeans

lmao

maniacdevnull
Apr 18, 2007

FOUR CUBIC FRAMES
DISPROVES SOFT G GOD
YOU ARE EDUCATED STUPID

Jonny 290 posted:

dead bug is still a valid construction method for RF circuits

that's a completely functional 20 meter (14 mhz) CW transciever (transmitter and receiver) that somebody just loving built out of parts and pieces of circuit board.

even the chassis is made of pieces of circuit board

40% solder by volume. cmon son.
(that's not your work, right?)

maniacdevnull
Apr 18, 2007

FOUR CUBIC FRAMES
DISPROVES SOFT G GOD
YOU ARE EDUCATED STUPID

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

i wish i had the picture of the ungodly linear amplifier he got his hands on, i'll see if i can dig it up.

i need to go dumpster diving where you live

i want a sillyscope so bad, where can i get a good n cheap one that can let me spy on, lets say, 57600baud serial traffic?

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

maniacdevnull posted:

40% solder by volume. cmon son.
(that's not your work, right?)

poo poo i wish

that's actually really clean

Tangra
May 1, 2008

Rrrreligion?

It's the catnip of the purrrrrrrrletariat

Mad about your :10bux: ?

:haw:

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

Old Tektronix are the poo poo

you can still find decent ones at the electronics swapmeet in the DeAnza college parking lot in the Bay here

My brother recently scored one

PuTTY riot
Nov 16, 2002
ya i started lookin on CL and theres a couple

http://jonesboro.craigslist.org/ele/4328244532.html

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tangra
May 1, 2008

Rrrreligion?

It's the catnip of the purrrrrrrrletariat

Mad about your :10bux: ?

:haw:

maniacdevnull posted:

i need to go dumpster diving where you live

i want a sillyscope so bad, where can i get a good n cheap one that can let me spy on, lets say, 57600baud serial traffic?

http://www.ebay.com/bhp/tektronix-2467b

• Locked thread