Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PuTTY riot
Nov 16, 2002

transfatphobic posted:

if i buy that cheap handset you mentioned in the cj thread what can i do with it?

the one that whoever the gently caress bought

its me, im the whoever the gently caress.

ive listened to cops, firefighters, skywarn, hams on the local repeater, weather radio and also the one FM repeater still in space. im rly excited about my 2 rtlsdr dongles gonna try to listen to local pd who are digital only (if not encrypted ofc).

it doesn't do any hf stuff or like aviation freqs but it should suit my needs quite well as just a fukken around toy/emergency radio.

i saw a state trooper tahoe w/ a bunch of antennas on top and now i wnana find an old suburban interceptor that doesn't have a plastic back seat. prob gonna be hard tho cause everythings tahoes and lol who buys a tahoe instead of a suburban?

e:

hot

PuTTY riot fucked around with this message at 22:10 on Feb 26, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
i should take some pics of the bmw at night now. inside is basically an airplane cockpit now

thinking of desoldering the blue LEDs in my uniden scanner and green ones in my CB and replacing with amber so everything matches (the icom has switchable backlight color so its good)

maniacdevnull
Apr 18, 2007

FOUR CUBIC FRAMES
DISPROVES SOFT G GOD
YOU ARE EDUCATED STUPID

gm, ick

my dad had a chevy citation and it was such a terrible car that not only did he swear off gm forever but 10 year old me swore them off for life also
a product so bad that people avoid your brand years before they could even use your product at all

relative_q
Sep 9, 2008

shame on a kitty who try to run game on a kitty

wu buck wild wit tha trigga

Werthog 95 posted:

already emailed the guy :getin: asked him about probes and he said he'd send some pics on friday since he's in harrisburg right now

i think i'm just gonna buy one of those little digital lcd scopes for now because theyre small and i dont really need anything more complicated than that right now. that tek is awesome though.

i think i might build a foxhole radio this weekend and tune it to the local high-powered classic rock station. i will post pics and videos if this happens.

PuTTY riot
Nov 16, 2002

maniacdevnull posted:

gm, ick

my dad had a chevy citation and it was such a terrible car that not only did he swear off gm forever but 10 year old me swore them off for life also
a product so bad that people avoid your brand years before they could even use your product at all

their trucks have always been pretty good. we had a 99 suburban that was a huge POS but the rest of them (yeah we went thru like 5, lol) were all rly good. my '01 is running just fine w/ 149k on the clock

PuTTY riot
Nov 16, 2002

spankmeister posted:

the google map plugin isn't working but here's a live chart of overhead planes:

i think i'm at the limits of my setup SNR wise because i'm missing data but the standard whip antenna that comes with it has worked so far. it's inside on my desk and i've made no effort on placement or w/e.

are these commercial only or could i get the private jets that fly in here to the uni's airport?

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

pretty sure a transponder is a transponder is a transponder

they use it for ATC and collision avoidance systems so they kinda need to be open to everyone

PuTTY riot
Nov 16, 2002
makes sense. cool. this thread owns, gonna click the 5 button again just because.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

PuTTY riot posted:

their trucks have always been pretty good. we had a 99 suburban that was a huge POS but the rest of them (yeah we went thru like 5, lol) were all rly good. my '01 is running just fine w/ 149k on the clock

my parents had a 96 that went 212k before they sold it. fuel pump had a scheduled failure at like 175k and the interior went to poo poo cause my brother drove it during the end of its life but it was still running fine when they sold it.

PuTTY riot
Nov 16, 2002
ya the 99 was just a lemon or something, rear axle replaced under warranty, maybe the transmission too??? idk, the earlier ones and the newer ones were all better, just that year.

hey question for ppl who buy lots of slowboat poo poo from china: if china post tracking says 'despatch from sorting center SHENZHEN' is it on the boat now? and how long does it usually take to get across the pacific + thru customs?

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

PuTTY riot posted:

ya the 99 was just a lemon or something, rear axle replaced under warranty, maybe the transmission too??? idk, the earlier ones and the newer ones were all better, just that year.

hey question for ppl who buy lots of slowboat poo poo from china: if china post tracking says 'despatch from sorting center SHENZHEN' is it on the boat now? and how long does it usually take to get across the pacific + thru customs?

anywhere between 2 weeks and 2 months really. :shobon:

Zap!
May 15, 2002

Nuts.

PuTTY riot posted:

are these commercial only or could i get the private jets that fly in here to the uni's airport?

Easy answer is yes.

Complex answer is if they are flying IFR and what class airspace they are currently flying in.

Neat to see that the software is able to do Mode S.

LP0 ON FIRE
Jan 25, 2006

beep boop

Jonny 290 posted:

yeah, that doesn't mean they're actually used though. We may have 28 mhz of shortwave bands allocated all told, but there are only like four or five domestic shortwave stations and the only non-religious one, Voice of America, isn't allowed to target US citizens. It's meant for international listeners only. This rule is stupid and backwards.

weird. it's hard to get my head around that one. thanks for the info

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

Jonny 290 posted:

yeah, that doesn't mean they're actually used though. We may have 28 mhz of shortwave bands allocated all told, but there are only like four or five domestic shortwave stations and the only non-religious one, Voice of America, isn't allowed to target US citizens. It's meant for international listeners only. This rule is stupid and backwards.

oh poo poo i think i used to drive past one of the religious ones all the time here in pa. WMLK, always wondered what was up with that

Jimmy Carter
Nov 3, 2005

THIS MOTHERDUCKER
FLIES IN STYLE
My school was near the ARRL HQ and I got to swing by and work W1AW a bunch.

For the uninitiated: it's the HQ of ham radio in the USA and any time a manufacturer comes out with a new lolcrazy high end model they get sent one so you can just pop in show your license card and get to play with $10,000 toys that have every knob ever on the front.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Jimmy Carter posted:

My school was near the ARRL HQ and I got to swing by and work W1AW a bunch.

For the uninitiated: it's the HQ of ham radio in the USA and any time a manufacturer comes out with a new lolcrazy high end model they get sent one so you can just pop in show your license card and get to play with $10,000 toys that have every knob ever on the front.

This year marks 100 years since the ARRL's creation, and to celebrate they worked out a special deal with the FCC - over this year, they are allowing select people all around the country use the W1AW call to make contacts. Last Saturday, I spoke to a fella operating W1AW/8, gave me a good report and now I"m in a log book for all time :) AND if you watched that satellite video, you heard another station operating W1AW trying to make contacts on the satellite. That call is going to be all over the airwaves for 2014, it's really cool.

On the /8 thing, the digit is your 'call district'. These are split up by region pretty much - here is the full chart. I have a "4-land" call, which I got in North Carolina - 4 is issued to most southeast states. Arkansas is a 5-land call, so when I operate on HF, I call "this is XX4XXX slash five" to let people know that I'm not really operating in 4 land. This is important because a lot of people have goals of "Worked All States" awards and such, and it's just polite to let them know up front. Colorado is a 0-land district, so when I move I'll call out "slash zero".

I'll never change my callsign or get another new one voluntarily. It's awful to send in CW, difficult to understand over voice so I always have to use phonetics, but it's mine.

Jonny 290 fucked around with this message at 15:18 on Feb 27, 2014

relative_q
Sep 9, 2008

shame on a kitty who try to run game on a kitty

wu buck wild wit tha trigga

Jonny 290 posted:

apparently as of july of last year, the rule against VOA broadcasting to american listeners was ended. you can pick it up on shortwave and its internet stream.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

teledildonics posted:

apparently as of july of last year, the rule against VOA broadcasting to american listeners was ended. you can pick it up on shortwave and its internet stream.

holy cow that owns!

update: bought an sdr stick for 18 bucks. woop

PuTTY riot
Nov 16, 2002

Jonny 290 posted:

I'll never change my callsign or get another new one voluntarily. It's awful to send in CW, difficult to understand over voice so I always have to use phonetics, but it's mine.

i rly hope i dont get a lovely one cause i kinda feel the same way about it tbh. even if im kz5zzz idgaf

e: creepin on ur ULS jonny, u dont even get anything on there saying u took the test w/ cw? thats lame. also what's the 'group' thing under the operator class?

PuTTY riot fucked around with this message at 15:55 on Feb 27, 2014

Icept
Jul 11, 2001
jonny your thread owns and i still listen to ozark bass attack from ultrawizardsword dot net on occasion

maniacdevnull
Apr 18, 2007

FOUR CUBIC FRAMES
DISPROVES SOFT G GOD
YOU ARE EDUCATED STUPID

jonny i noticed you haven't posted your callsign in the thread, is that for the normal goons will be goons reasons or is there a ham related reason why giving out ones callsign is frowned upon?

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
cause goons. if we get to the point where some of us might get on the radio and talk, i'll pass it around

no reason to actively invite the death threats and pizza orders right now

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

probably cuz you can look up someone's real name with it

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

woop yeah there ya go

PuTTY riot
Nov 16, 2002

Werthog 95 posted:

probably cuz you can look up someone's real name with it

and address and everything else. its kinda got me a lil sketched out cause my name is unique enough that i bet itll show up when u just goog my name

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast
werthog, not to exacerbate the possiblity for abuse here but it's a a public database

http://wireless2.fcc.gov/UlsApp/UlsSearch/searchLicense.jsp

type in some gibberish (ex: W6OBB) or something and it should pull up a bunch of near matches and you click one and that's the data that's available freely

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Jonny 290 posted:

holy cow that owns!

update: bought an sdr stick for 18 bucks. woop

:hfive:

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

i realized by moving ~2 miles, i changed my region and now have to add /3 to everything. THANKS OBAMA

PuTTY riot
Nov 16, 2002
http://www.w2sjw.com/sounds/MDC1200.mp3

there's no way to not hear this sound when cops let go of PTT is there?

PuTTY riot
Nov 16, 2002
also what i was saying about not changing my callsign when i get it... if SJW was in there i actually prob would lol

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
PICS INC.

Let's design an antenna. Since people are getting started here, we have decided to build a simple 2-meter (144 MHz band) vertical antenna that would be suitable for putting up on a pole, in your attic, whatever.

We'll do a simple focus on trying to optimize the Standing Wave Ratio (SWR) which indicates how tuned the antenna is to the feedline and radio. 50 ohms is a perfect 1:1 match. We'll shoot for 1.5 or lower across the band.

DANGER WILL ROBINSON, HAM RADIO SOFTWARE ON THE HORIZON. PREPARING FOR BAD USER INTERFACE.......

Welcome to MMANA-GAL, written by an insane japanese ham. It's one of my tools for basic design and optimization.

Let's add a wire. We'll start with a 1/4 wavelength wire and feed it at the bottom. The "w1b" signifies the feedpoint at bottom left.

Aww, it's so cute.

Let's click that "Calculate" tab. Only pay attention to the top line for now, I was playing with other antennas - MMANA fills this newest-at-top. Looks like our antenna, when placed on the ground and fed against it, has about 1.4 SWR. Hey, not bad! We wouldn't hear much on a VHF antenna sitting on the ground, though.

After we click "Plots", MMANA will show us the projected radiation patterns. Pretty much by the book so far.

The SWR tab shows that we have decent, but rising SWR, and our antenna is possibly too long (if it's too long it'll be a better match at lower freqs, opposite for too short)

Let's get this thing off the ground! Add 5 meters of height and OH GOD WHAT THE gently caress JUST HAPPEN

We lifted it off the ground, and MMANA keeps track of all the electrical connections. By raising the antenna, we disconnected it from its ground plane. See how important the ground plane is?

Let's add a ground plane. Remember that a decent ground plane can be made by four 1/4 wave wires sticking out horizontally.

More interesting looking now.

You might have seen that "Optimize" button. This is where the magic happens. Here you can enter parameters to wiggle, criteria to wiggle them by, and metrics to judge the performance of the antenna, which you can individually weight.

What i'm doing here is wiggling the length of the vertical element (wire 1). Then, because the radials should match the element at this point, we 'bind' the radial lengths to the element length (the 'Associated' column). Now the program will wiggle all five elements' lengths in 5mm increments, measuring the SWR at each iteration. If it lengthens and the SWR goes up, it goes back and shortens.

Hey, better match now! You see the bottom line (right after we added the wires) and the top line (after we optimized). That SWR is still a little high, though. What else can we do to tune this?

Bend those radials! As your ground radials get bent down, your impedance rises - and that's just what we need here.

Let's go back and work that Optimize tab some. We'll set it up to wiggle the vertical element length, as before, but this time we're going to change the zenith angle (vertical tilt) of the radials, pivoting them around their start point (the feedpoint) between 90 degrees and 180 - straight out to straight down. START!

Holy crap, that worked perfectly! Look at the SWR below. Almost a perfect 1:1 match.

What's it look like now?

Looks like MMANA bent them down right around 35 degrees to get that match. Easy to reproduce on the real antenna.

And here's the SWR curve if we go back to Plots, a very well-tuned antenna that will give us less than 1.5:1 SWR (this is our general benchmark for usability) across the entirety of the 2 meter band.

Jonny 290 fucked around with this message at 17:06 on Feb 27, 2014

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast

PuTTY riot posted:

http://www.w2sjw.com/sounds/MDC1200.mp3

there's no way to not hear this sound when cops let go of PTT is there?

what? you can't decypher it by ear? newb.

PuTTY riot
Nov 16, 2002
the country rear end SD uses dmtf tones i guess i could prob do those by ear lol

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
Oh and the antenna I was playing with before I did that post was a parasitic Lindenblad antenna that I'm thinking of building up this weekend, so I have a fresh 70cm satellite antenna - my Yagi got hosed by an ice storm

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
do any of you yoshams keep bigass batteries or a generator so you can keep communicating in the event of natural disaster or nuclear war

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

do any of you yoshams keep bigass batteries or a generator so you can keep communicating in the event of natural disaster or nuclear war

I have a couple of 7amp-hour gel cell UPS batteries that I can run my rigs off of for an hour or three, but no serious lead-acid action. If I wasn't moving soon I'd grab a couple of deep cycle batteries from the local shop, which have about 110 amp-hours or so. They're like 70 lbs each though so I'm holding off.

Plus, most of my radios at this point either are already in, or can be hooked up to, one of my cars, so I sort of have two v8 and a straight 6 generator at my disposal at all times. Not really efficient, but would keep me on the air.

PuTTY riot
Nov 16, 2002

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

i am prob gonna buy a deep cycle marine batt like 290. maybe i'm paranoid but thunderstorms seem to get worse every year now

also i've heard county and uni talking about 'can u hear oxford radio'. wonder if they encrypting now or smth

PuTTY riot
Nov 16, 2002
apparently their HTs can't only the cars do digital lmao i thought after 9-11 everyone was supposed to be interop

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

PuTTY riot posted:

after 9-11 everyone was supposed to be interop

and this is why the DHS kind of loving hates podunk racist localtowns saying HEY WE CAN CONSPIRE TO PULL OVER MEXICANS WITH IMPUNITY NOW CAUSE ENCRYPTION. terrar money paid for those fancy rear end new digital radios and interoperability was the condition.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

maniacdevnull
Apr 18, 2007

FOUR CUBIC FRAMES
DISPROVES SOFT G GOD
YOU ARE EDUCATED STUPID

PuTTY riot posted:

apparently their HTs can't only the cars do digital lmao i thought after 9-11 everyone was supposed to be interop

they had to get money, they didn't have to actually change anything
your government inaction

• Locked thread