Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer
im gonna take technician friday night but really only so I can use stuff my 600mw video transmitter and some stuff that works on ham bands

also a girl overheard me at the bar last week and asked me what my ham call sign was.

moron izzard fucked around with this message at 04:04 on Jul 24, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer
is there really 425 unique questions in the ham technician exam or is there like a quarter of that with repeats.

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer
i wonder if I can just tape my callsign to my vtx instead of somehow inserting it into the video transmission

edit: noone is ever going to care or find out but gently caress buying a different osd

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Jonny 290 posted:

just for the 10 minute IDs? you don't have to ID in the mode you are transmitting in; hook an attiny to your transmitter's enable line and program it to send your callsign in CW. boom, compliant

I have an audio line I don't use (who wants audio from the underside of a multirotor lol) would that be easier (id rather just make a new plug than dig into this transmitter)

moron izzard fucked around with this message at 18:09 on Jul 24, 2014

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer
got me tech license. Maybe should have studied for / done the general too.

The testing area had both a Krystal and a White castle less than a mile away from it it was amazing

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Sniep posted:

i have only seem tests administered in churches, fire departments and schools

it was at a community college in somerset.

I really only got this for legal reasons w/r/t rc / fpv stuff but I guess I should look into talking to other people.

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FmUD9Vmjj4E

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer
something to strip the wire and a cheap soldering iron and ur good

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer

maniacdevnull posted:

nooooooo you will regret this

not really. I got and like this though http://www.amazon.com/Aoyue-937-Dig...ldering+station

and will probably upgrade to http://www.amazon.com/Aoyue-Functio...yue+desoldering soon

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I put a 1.3ghz video receiver on a helmet do you wanna see

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Jonny 290 posted:

yes! holy crap

Really because I asked you three times in irc last week and pasted it in and you never responded

A WIP I STILL NEED TO VELCRO A 2200mah LIPO TO THE OTHER SIDE OF MY HEAD

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer

longview posted:

did an experiment with a 1:9 long wire balun and a 1 meter steel whip yesterday, it tuned up on all bands except 24 MHz+ where the power supply shut down due to RFI once the SWR started to come down and the radiation increased, considering there's no shielding at all in the supply that's not surprising

sensitivity wasn't very good though, but considering it was inside that's not very surprising

plan for apartment antenna is to try the largest whip i can get away with and using the railing on the balcony as a ground plane, it's all metal and mounted in concrete so that should work fairly well, i'll need a set of coils to ease matching of the whip at lower frequencies (will be a pretty crazy voltage at the antenna though)

little tarhell II looks tempting with the remote controlled coil + length selection, but that costs almost as much as my radio did so it'll have to wait

alternate plan it to just string up as much wire as i can and use the 1:9 balun

my VHF/UHF antennas also use the railing as a ground plane, so i'll probably need current baluns for all the other gear mounted there to avoid crazy feedline radiation coming back in

what receiver hardware are you using? i know some emcom hams who might be interested in building/buying something like that

http://www.readymaderc.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=11_34_44&products_id=1015

There are lots of these on ebay as well I think (as well as ones that do .9-1.3ghz, 2.4, 5.8). I have the 800mw transmitter (which according to some other guy spits out closer to 1-1.75 watts depending on the channel)

I thought about gettin a bigger more directional antenna like this or LIKE THIS but that isn't really necessary for mini quad fpv.

Crankit posted:

hello is this like a fpv thing, what do you use it with, tell me about it

yes I'll show you later

moron izzard fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Dec 23, 2014

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer

A Yolo Wizard posted:

yes I'll show you later

shoulda got a frame with a longer top

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer

SO DEMANDING posted:

ok this still doesnt actually tell us what in the gently caress you've built

just tell us the goddamn details don't be weird and evasive as if yospos might disapprove who gives a poo poo we're all nerds so show us the cool nerd stuff :)

its a mini quad running a 1.3ghz vtx and a 433mhz uhf rx. I just finished assembling it and have to set up all the controls and then tune it and poo poo.

i got my longer cord this week so I'll hopefully have this poo poo done next week. I have to install a groundstation communication module thing on my phantom this weekend and get my photogrammetry thing setup.

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer

quote:

my call sign at aol.com if you want to talk or do something

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer
i heard of this place on npr but i guess its only gotten better since then http://www.theguardian.com/technology/2015/jun/21/the-town-that-banned-wi-fi

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer

PuTTY riot posted:

i just need to figure out how to make these things quiet. i wonder if i coudl replace the fan w/ just a regular quiet pc case fan or if it would know.

these are the ones there's a detailed write up for a 12-14.2(ish) voltage adjustment pot. this is what im using w/ my 735 currently

I need a pair of those hp ones for a charge station

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer
sorta related, but the world record for number of RC airplanes in the air at once was beaten last weekend. 300 in attendance, beat the last record 179 to 99.

Thank god for popular cheap, transmitters that don't use DSM2/X anymore. China has spektrum and other greybeard radio brands beat in the features and protocol department (and price holy poo poo, $200 transmitters and $20-40 receivers with full telemetry and digital output) department now; good gimbals and switches will get here eventually.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i1d2ATd_hxk

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I need a cheap handheld scanner for airband. is this garbage? https://www.amazon.com/Uniden-BC75X...s=airband+radio

• Locked thread