Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
johnnyonetime
Apr 2, 2010
with any luck I'll have a pristine Icom IC-746 in my hands tomorrow morning. It was an estate sale lot that came with the radio, astron ss-30m power supply and a Icom sm-8 desk mike for $750. :dance:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

johnnyonetime
Apr 2, 2010
well it took awhile to toss a line up in a tree and get the wire antenna off the ground but I'm operational for now!

probably order a CAT cable next and work on a more permanent antenna solution

johnnyonetime
Apr 2, 2010

Jonny 290 posted:

johnnyonetime i will implore you to run the backlight brightness at full power. theres a transistor in there that sinks whatever power _isn't_ going to the display, and if you dim it, that transistor desolders itself and your backlight shits

UGH dude better ship mine tomorrow or else.

oh by the way, if you want a cheap Icom cat cable, get an FTDI TTL (5v) USB adapter off ebay or amazon and a 1/8" mono cable. connect the ground to GND, tie the RX and TX lines together at the USB adapter and connect the center pin of the 1/8" to them. boomdone

thanks for the reminder! I read about that a week or so ago when I was researching this purchase but forgot to adjust that. The backlight is rocking at 100% brightness now.

I'm thinking about ordering this cable for CAT control and to do digital modes as well:

http://www.xggcomms.com/userimages/procart2.htm

I'm going to build a cable per Jonny 290's suggestion and ordered this sound card interface

http://www.unifiedmicro.com/sci6.htm

johnnyonetime fucked around with this message at 05:11 on Jun 1, 2015

johnnyonetime
Apr 2, 2010
i made a thing. never soldered before but i think it came out real nice

now i need to see if any places in town carry 8 pin DIN connectors or if i have to wait for the mailman again

johnnyonetime
Apr 2, 2010

Jonny 290 posted:

if its for an icom, a 5 pin din will mate and hit the pins you need iirc
compare the pinouts and see

but if so you can maybe find a midi cable somewhere or an old AT keyboard for a buck

i bought a 5 pin midi cable at radioshack for 4 bux but i'm having trouble getting the computer to talk to the radio. i'm going to check my pins and try again. multimeter says they are right, who knows

johnnyonetime
Apr 2, 2010
hey guys, i have googled this pretty hard and can't seem to figure out how to do PTT via my sound card interface on my Icom 746 (non pro)

I built that SCI-6 interface that i posted earlier and the send and receive lines work fine but i can't get the PTT going. it uses 3.5mm jacks for sound and a separate com port on the computer for PTT. I followed the FAQ on http://www.unifiedmicro.com/SCI-6-FAQ.pdf and shorted the pins with a 9v battery and the radio transmits when manually shorted through the sound card interface.

it's just a phono on one end going to an RS-232 that's soldered on pins 5 and 7 of the RS-232. I plug it in and either it doesn't work at all, then I swap the wires and it just constantly transmits.

as far as i have read, the non-pro 746 doesn't do PTT via the CAT interface... i am so close but losing hope... :negative:

johnnyonetime
Apr 2, 2010

Jonny 290 posted:

what software are you using? some expect to toggle DTR and some RTS. you're using RTS which is fiiiine but it has to be set right

e: does VOX trigger on that radio when you inject audio via the rear? Ghetto solution: turn on vox unplug mic

i'm using the free version of ham radio deluxe (5.2) and with a bit more fiddling i've got ptt working now! however when it keys i am not seeing transmit activity on my radio. probably need to check my transmit pin on the midi connector and see if that's the culprit.

i tried the vox and didn't have any luck, i think i've traced out all my probs so maybe the xmit pin is the last one! if that doesn't work then i'm throwing in the towel and buying a signalink...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

johnnyonetime
Apr 2, 2010

Olivil posted:

not ham related but what's a good pocket sized AA powered fm radio these days?

internal speaker a nice bonus

Get the Sony SRF-39FP, dubbed "The iPod of Prison". Bonus points if it has the clear housing

http://www.newyorker.com/tech/elements/the-ipod-of-prison

• Locked thread