Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
i'm reading the study guides and will probably go for a technician license in may

thanks yospos.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
i passed my technician exam yesterday as well

i had form #219 :tinfoil:

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
I still haven't done anything with my technician license. I mostly wanted to figure out what antenna I could reasonably get (and what I could do with my lovely RTL-SDR from over a year ago), but I've really fallen out of the loop. Apparently the latest RTLSDR doesn't need an upconverter? I live in an apartment, too, so it's not like I have the freedom to hang up anything extravagant.

It was nice listening around the 400mhz areas and hearing the local school bus system, though. :allears: "No matter what I do, it won't go over 25mph!"

Zamujasa fucked around with this message at 02:53 on Aug 30, 2016

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
A little of both; the main reason I got into the radio hobby at all is because of my interest in pirate/spy broadcasts. I know the outlook for those isn't too good, being land-locked in Las Vegas (which is probably an interference hellscape), but I'd still like to be able to putz around and listen to conversations. :shobon:

I have a pretty decent balcony, at least. I've looked over a few lists of frequencies for this town but it seems to be out of date, with a lot of them never becoming active over hours of watching. Some other ones did work, though. I'm not sure if my RTL-SDR is even tuned properly because I think I was picking up the local weather service a few mhz off of where it should've been, but I haven't messed with it in a while.

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

Sniep posted:

it wont be the police

it will be the feds, and they will take all of your radio and computer like things

and you will never get them back

and you will lose every license you hold on a federal level that pertains to radio whatsoever

a lot of pirates still seem to broadcast, though, aren't there a few really well known/infamous ones

or do they only start to really give a poo poo when it's interfering with actual broadcasts instead of some normally silent part of the band

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

multistage depressed collector :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

Jonny 290 posted:

I'll keep this open but i'm going into FCC hiding (thank god i did not update my address when we moved recently), cancelled my weekly net and all the radios are being boxed up for a while. A bunch of white supremacists here in Denver have my callsign and I fear for the future.

No reason to build a station to just hear more of the things that are about to surround us in every day life.

I'm sick.

Especially with the rampant increase in doxxing, swatting etc. I'm always worried that callsigns being easily-lookupable will lead to awful things happening in this day and age.

Stay safe. :smith:

• Locked thread