Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Crankit
Feb 7, 2011

HE WATCHES
what percentage of hams are sperglords?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crankit
Feb 7, 2011

HE WATCHES

Shaggar posted:

i think it would just be kind of interesting to play w/ radio gear to send digital signals for funsies. getting licensed sounds like a pain tho.

In the US it's an easy exam and it costs about $15.

Crankit
Feb 7, 2011

HE WATCHES
did jonny mention homebrew radios? that probably would interest some guys.

i think the amateur radio service is the only licence that lets you build your own radio and operate it, that's what interested me, not the thing that old guys tend to mention: you can talk around the world using the same power aas a lightbulb.

Crankit
Feb 7, 2011

HE WATCHES

Jonny 290 posted:

dead bug is still a valid construction method for RF circuits

that's a completely functional 20 meter (14 mhz) CW transciever (transmitter and receiver) that somebody just loving built out of parts and pieces of circuit board.

even the chassis is made of pieces of circuit board

incidentally that's manhattan construction, not dead bug.

Crankit
Feb 7, 2011

HE WATCHES

Zap! posted:

Yeah there's a 6 lead DIP in the upper right corner that is laying the wrong way for a dead bug.

and all the other components too, with dead bug the majority of component legs would be joined up in the air, but that board has little islands of copper plated board which i guess are like manhattan?
here's a vid of a dead bug circuit being made https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cQs8W9FaoTU
and manhattan circuit https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7qXnRevkVw0
skip to 2 minutes in on both

Zap! posted:

Jonny, this thread is awesome.

yes

Crankit
Feb 7, 2011

HE WATCHES

Bloody posted:

whats a qrper

qrp is a morse code abbreviation that means reduce power, qrp guys use low power transmitters. <10W for voice <5W for morse

Crankit
Feb 7, 2011

HE WATCHES
jonny what's the cheapest way to moonbounce?

Crankit
Feb 7, 2011

HE WATCHES

Jonny 290 posted:

the easy answer is 'build a moderate station and set up a schedule with a famous big gun EME operator'. technically? i wouldnt even try without four high-gain yagi antennas (like 20+ foot booms at 2 meters), $3.00 a foot coaxial cable, between 500 and 1000 watts of RF power, low noise preamps and a lot of planning and patience. and even then you're pretty much back to the above, schedule contact attempts with a big dude and see if his superior antennas can make up your shortcomings. figure no less than five grand to get yr feet wet

gently caress

Jonny 290 posted:

on the contrary it's introduced a shitload of people to radio and the factories are openly packaging them as "DTV/SDR stick" devices. nooelec is 100% on board. i think we hit that critical mass point where its sensible for them to scale up the chip fabs, and the manufacturers dont care if we're watchint dtv or sticking them up our butts

the stick at least partially got me into radio.

Crankit
Feb 7, 2011

HE WATCHES
ah'm touchin mah ham right now

Crankit
Feb 7, 2011

HE WATCHES
don't get those, get a kx3 instead

Crankit
Feb 7, 2011

HE WATCHES
so why is it clear, so inmates can't hide things in them, or so they no people aren't using it as a science kit that will help them escape?

Crankit
Feb 7, 2011

HE WATCHES

Jonny 290 posted:

so i just learned that there's a narrow band around 13500 khz that is Part 15 okay. We can have a shortwave station with like 10 mV/m field strength, which is about 2 milliwatts into a full size dipole.

radio free yospos?

help me find a simple AM transmitter circuit and ill build it and put it on the air!

Isn't there an ISM band from something like 6765 to 6795kHz, are you allowed to transmit there too? Not sure if that would be easier to pull a crystal down to?

Crankit
Feb 7, 2011

HE WATCHES

A Yolo Wizard posted:

Really because I asked you three times in irc last week and pasted it in and you never responded

A WIP I STILL NEED TO VELCRO A 2200mah LIPO TO THE OTHER SIDE OF MY HEAD

hello is this like a fpv thing, what do you use it with, tell me about it

Crankit
Feb 7, 2011

HE WATCHES
i think it's a cloverleaf antenna that produces circularly polarised radiowaves

Crankit
Feb 7, 2011

HE WATCHES
for crystal radios i think you can often hook a dds up to the crystal socket which then makes the rig frequency agile.

Crankit
Feb 7, 2011

HE WATCHES

Jonny 290 posted:

Adding to wishlist:

http://www.tnc-x.com/TNCPi.htm

kit price is unbeatable and that's like a leisurely 42 minute solder session

the kit price doesn't seem too bad but what does it do, is it an fsk tnc for tx and rx

Crankit
Feb 7, 2011

HE WATCHES
can it do psk or qam, i'd be very interested if it did them

Crankit
Feb 7, 2011

HE WATCHES
what's the diff between a tcxo and an ocxo

Crankit
Feb 7, 2011

HE WATCHES

Cocoa Crispies posted:

is this a police/emergency radio or something that transmits on multiple frequencies?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DM_DUZX29JI

I think you're slope detecting an FM signal there, does your SDR software have an NFM or NBFM option?
Can you try that and also record it see if it's any different.

Crankit
Feb 7, 2011

HE WATCHES
Doesn't the AFEDRI sdr do a very similar thing to the utwente sdr

Crankit
Feb 7, 2011

HE WATCHES

PuTTY riot posted:

idgi but cutting the fan out to wire them in series was a bad idea. its so loud tho. good thing ive got 3 of these fuckers.

'hey, rear end in a top hat, the fan isn't working, i'm turning off now'

can you really wire them in series? i'd a thought the negative would be connected back to ground.

Crankit
Feb 7, 2011

HE WATCHES
oh the fan! for some reason i was thinking wiring server PSUs in series

Crankit
Feb 7, 2011

HE WATCHES

PuTTY riot posted:

yeah it def seems shady sorry if it sounded like i was suggesting doing it. idk what use radio folk would have for 24v unless they're using weird military radios or chargin bat-trees

well, there's military, but also some transistors like IRF510s work better at 28V like in the WA2EBY amplifier. also some telecom amps work off of 28V like the ones they use in cell towers based off the MRF21090(I think) etc transistors. MRF21xxx transistors on ebay are probably the cheapest wat to get 30/90/110W at 2.3GHz

Crankit
Feb 7, 2011

HE WATCHES
oh poo poo in 2 years we might have two geostationary birds?

Crankit
Feb 7, 2011

HE WATCHES

BANME.sh posted:

i was driving the other day and i realized how weird it is that vehicles still come with a giant antenna on them for FM radio, but you can get little bitty electronics with FM capabilities that work fine. for example my old zune had FM and no big honking antenna on it. why are the big ones still needed. range i guess?

normally when phones or mp3 players can tune an fm radio they use the headphone cable as an antenna

Crankit
Feb 7, 2011

HE WATCHES

Jonny 290 posted:

though two radios is strongly suggested for satellite work

i was thinking about this the other day, you only need 1 for transmit right, the other is rx only? so would a 857 and an rtl-sdr be a good combo?

assuming you're in a situation where you can use rtlsdr and a computer

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crankit
Feb 7, 2011

HE WATCHES

Jonny 290 posted:

and THEN there's the elecraft koolaid drinkers

i'm ambivalent-to-disliking on these, mainly because it's a very a la carte type ecosystem and by the time you have something that compares to a $1500 big3 radio they've bled $2800 out of you, $299 at a time.

i think elecraft radios are pretty neat personally, if you don't want a panadapter, don't buy one, if you don't want neato crystal filters, don't buy em v0v

what you're paying for is cw performance, the filters are p good, the phase noise is good, the key clicks are good
afaik the big3 don't really compare for cw performance

what i wouldn't do is buy their amps

quote:

also how do you know if somebody's an elecraft owner? LOL JUST WAIT

lol 110% true

• Locked thread