Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

Jonny 290 posted:

Anybody wanna give me a read on this?

http://fayar.craigslist.org/ele/4404448950.html

fairly tempted.

e: looks like a Hitachi VC-6155

analog scopes :3:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

Stereotype posted:

Here is a fun list of cooler antennas than dipoles and quarter-wave stuff.

http://www.antenna-theory.com/antennas/main.php

We just started using something like a log-periodic spiral antenna and it looks like it is from the future

this is a useful website ty

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

Jonny 290 posted:

its cause arecibo

iirc you awnt at least a 10 wavelength diameter dish for effective performance. so this means that they have an antenna that can HAARP down to as low as 10 mhz.

but thats the high end of haarp :confused:

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

cool skeueuemorphism

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

i feel like i should have a ham license or w/e

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

what are the resources i should check out and how much does it cost and poo poo

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

yes :911:

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

PuTTY riot posted:

there's 3 exams technician general extra. u can take all 3 in one sitting. extra is rly hard tech is ezpz and general is kinda difficult but not too bad and a good target to shoot for. that's what I've got. it's like :tenbux: or smth like that and hamstudy.org is what I used. the question pool is published by the FCC so that hamstudy site just breaks it down and uses flash cards and keeps track of what u get right and wrong, there's lots of free resources out there that are good, it's just whatever works for u

started ham studying .orging last night got like 35% of the way through the flash cards for technician, was getting ~90% of them on the first try. bits i didnt know the most are the TLAs and poo poo involving callsigns. ee stuff was refreshingly trivial which was nice

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

PuTTY riot posted:

ya see the nice thing is u can go back and just ignore the ee stuff and focus on the rules. theres a bunch of dumb poo poo u just have to rote memorize like 'when is the only time its acceptable to transmit music on ham freqs?' a: when incidental to the authorized re-transmission of the ISS

:wtc:

does this mean i cant sing on ham? f u fcc

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

crs finished all the flashcards for technician, pretty confident i could pass it right now, gonna start on general :toot:

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

are all of the tests multiple choice? are these hamstudy questions the literal test questions?

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

awesome. looking through the extra questions i might just go for all three whenever i get around to doing this

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

what can i do with a fourth floor apartment and no roof access in the middle of a city

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

i have a couple of bicycles

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

i can do that

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

i wonder if theres any turbonerds around here on the higher frequencies

i wanna be one of those turbonerds

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

ya removable screens and everything

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

its probably all brick and metal but im sure i can figure something out

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

Jonny 290 posted:

against my better judgement i looked into "no ground plane" antennas cause fiberglass body RV

welp turns out that they have a SPECIAL COAX CABLE which sounded fishy, turns out the coax radiates, the antenna's a dummy load. so eff that

We're going with the classic 102 inch CB whip, probably mounted on the front bumper with a big rear end ball mount and the big spring. There are some pretty decent steel frame members just a couple of feet away,so I'll copper-braid to that, but I'm also going to do no fewer than three 1/4 wave radials (remember this fucker is 8 feet wide) inside the front end. I think it'll be fine for CB and 10 meters.

Incidentally, I did some mmana-gal math, and if you take the standard 102 inch CB whip and a six inch spring it's almost perfectly resonant on 27.185, BUUUT if you put a 70 pF (give or take) cap across the input, lo and behold it's got a 50 ohm resonance right around 28.5. i think i could put a relay together to switch the cap in and out, boom, combo cb and 10m antenna

speaking of which, do not fear, the hy-gain 18 footer will be going on here, though it of course wont be deployed in transit

i feel like youll get 70 pF of parasitics from various bullshit between that antenna and your radio :ohdear:

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

hamradio.jpg

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

how do i find a place to get tested for ham-aids

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

Crs: there's a radio nerd exam in like a week and a half near work so I'm gonna go and fail my technician and/or wind up with an extra :iiam:

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

ya i hamstudied them all

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

only if its to the ISS for some reason

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

bump

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

spankmeister posted:

how do i do antenna testing?

i have the tiny SRH805S antenna for my baofeng now and i wnat to test the power of it

it receives and transmits to the local 70cm repeater fine, the 2m repeater in the next town over doesn't seem to be working because i can't get a response from it even with my RH771

e: also i finally got a programming cable after the ebay one i ordered months ago never showed up, i just got one from dx

use an antenna range :getin:

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

my test is next wednesday :supaburn:

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

and gnuradio is poopy

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

c studying s: general is full of so much bullshit memorization i was not anticipating this

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

c radio s: skipped the exam tonight on account of i didnt wanna go and its not like i own any radios and its not like im about to buy or build any radios :rip: radios

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

Sniep posted:

the point is just study the question pools on cards

here's a few more questions, and i've removed the answers in the parens until after the post, feel free to test yourself. this is from the tech pool. have a 6 question mini test. most of the questions on the test are easy as hell just saying there are gotcha ones in there or wtf? ones too.

T1B06 (?) [97.301(a)]
Which 23 cm frequency
A. 2315 MHz
B. 1296 MHz
C. 3390 MHz
D. 146.52 MHz
~~

T1C01 (?) [97.3(a)(11)(iii)]
Which type of call sign has a single letter in both its prefix and suffix?
A. Vanity
B. Sequential
C. Special event
D. In-memoriam
~~

T1F12 (?) [97.5(b)(2)]
How many persons are required to be members of a club for a club station license to be issued by the FCC?
A. At least 5
B. At least 4
C. A trustee and 2 officers
D. At least 2
~~

T5C04 (?)
What is the basic unit of inductance?
A. The coulomb
B. The farad
C. The henry
D. The ohm
~~

T6B11 (?)
What at are the three electrodes of a field effect transistor?
A. Emitter, base, and collector
B. Source, gate, and drain
C. Cathode, grid, and plate
D. Cathode, gate, and anode
~~

T6D08 (?)
Which of the following is used together with an inductor to make a tuned circuit?
A. Resistor
B. Zener diode
C. Potentiometer
D. Capacitor
~~

Answers: BCBCBD

I'm sure a lot of you would ace that but just saying, if you don't ace that, go thru the question pools and just read thru them.

extra gently caress you to the "what frequency is <x> meters band" and im like 'oh okay well ill just use maths' and so i choose the maths answer but then its like "lol nope!!!" turns out these fucklords cant even do maths

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

spankmeister posted:

huh? Answer B is a perfectly valid 23cm freq

yeah but in the hf bands things get stupid iirc idk i got mad while studying the general because of how frequently it didnt make sense

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

if i wanted to play around with an sdr would i want/need an LNA between my antenna and my sdr box

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

for listening, that is

would prob want a PA for txing

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

cool, just gotta design/build/acquire some antennas and go hog wild with some gnuradio neckbeardery

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

tot he top

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

Bump.

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

your business is our pleasure! your pleasure is our business!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

always be tuning

• Locked thread