Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Crusader
Apr 11, 2002

reiterating for the nth time that this is a super rad thread - i've had a baofeng uv5r for a while now that i hadn't done anything with, but this week i finally got off my rear end and took the technician class exam; just waiting on my callsign from the fcc now, woo.

in the meantime i've been mucking about with a rtl-sdr dongle for vhf/uhf and websdr for hf - not sure if i should just get a "ham it up" upconverter for the sdr dongle or look at a full-on hf rig yet, especially since it'll be another month before i attempt to take the general exam.

listening to air force calls on websdr has been fun though; i'm somewhat amused that the end of the world could come with callsigns like WILEYFOX:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bt6eEhKwDUA

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crusader
Apr 11, 2002

got my callsign, woo

no successful CQ yet; I think I goofed some baofeng menu setting beyond CTCSS tone freq because I wasn't even getting automatic repeater calls when I could previously :\

Crusader
Apr 11, 2002

US east coasters, the russian segment of ISS has been broadcasting SSTV today for another MAI-75 event; only pass that they should still be radiating on is @ 12:30ish eastern time:

http://www.amsat.org/pipermail/amsat-bb/2016-August/059887.html

Crusader
Apr 11, 2002

http://earlyradiohistory.us/1924your.htm

quote:

How many well-meaning, fond American parents develop the home idea in the young boy? Are you not a bit to blame if your boy, when still in his 'teens, is seen too much in questionable company and in questionable resorts? Your boy is not naturally inclined to stay away from his home and his family. He is usually forced out, for want of something to keep his growing, inquisitive mind occupied; it's the something that he can't find at his home that forces him out. So out he goes. He drifts on, away from you,--the heartstrings loosen more and more, you--his parents--wonder and wonder and the boy becomes a stranger before you realize it.

This is--alas--only too true a picture of the average American youth. And it is so easy to keep your boy at home. He doesn't want much, just something to dabble, to tinker, to experiment with and to keep his inborn insatiable curiosity satisfied.

You know your boy likes nothing better than this, he was born for it; are you going to club it out of him?

He has the right idea--the home idea; somewhere in him is a spark alive that needs but proper fanning to create a future Edison, a coming Marconi.

Electricity, especially Wireless, are positively the strongest home-magnets today. His workshop, his small electric laboratory of his Wireless Den are the most powerful home attractions for the 20th Century Boy.

Electricity and Wireless are the coming, undreamed of, world-moving forces. Don't kill the electric spark in your boy. It costs little to keep it going, and some fine day it will pay you and your boy handsome dividends.

make your kid a basement dweller - a howto guide for parents

• Locked thread