Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PuTTY riot
Nov 16, 2002

Werthog 95 posted:

probably cuz you can look up someone's real name with it

and address and everything else. its kinda got me a lil sketched out cause my name is unique enough that i bet itll show up when u just goog my name

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PuTTY riot
Nov 16, 2002
http://www.w2sjw.com/sounds/MDC1200.mp3

there's no way to not hear this sound when cops let go of PTT is there?

PuTTY riot
Nov 16, 2002
also what i was saying about not changing my callsign when i get it... if SJW was in there i actually prob would lol

PuTTY riot
Nov 16, 2002
the country rear end SD uses dmtf tones i guess i could prob do those by ear lol

PuTTY riot
Nov 16, 2002

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

do any of you yoshams keep bigass batteries or a generator so you can keep communicating in the event of natural disaster or nuclear war

i am prob gonna buy a deep cycle marine batt like 290. maybe i'm paranoid but thunderstorms seem to get worse every year now

also i've heard county and uni talking about 'can u hear oxford radio'. wonder if they encrypting now or smth

PuTTY riot
Nov 16, 2002
apparently their HTs can't only the cars do digital lmao i thought after 9-11 everyone was supposed to be interop

PuTTY riot
Nov 16, 2002

spankmeister posted:

i ordered a bunch of stuff today, most notably the baofeng UV-5RE+, with a nagoya RH-771, UT-106, USB cable and also a pigtail for my RTLSDR dongle so i can connect SMA antennas to it.

lemme know how you like that antenna. its fukken huge and would prob only be good for fukken around in the yard

PuTTY riot
Nov 16, 2002

Bloody posted:

i dont understand the basic premise of wanting to talk to ham users

same but yospos

PuTTY riot
Nov 16, 2002

Bloody posted:

yeah but fundamentally like who cares

idk my understanding of hammers is limited to the notion that they say hi to each other and then mail each other signal strength reports or w/e but like... so what?

my understanding of drag racers is that they drive 1/4 mile to see who goes faster then they go home.

my understanding of football is they run with a ball and see who runs faster but like...so what

PuTTY riot
Nov 16, 2002
i mean i get what ur saying and the new car smell hasn't worn off for me cause im not even licensed yet, but just like... idk its the equivalent of putting dd-wrt on ur home router and doing a bunch of sperg poo poo just to do it.

PuTTY riot
Nov 16, 2002
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IWE7FrVY9T4

is this u irl bloody?

PuTTY riot
Nov 16, 2002

Jonny 290 posted:

you can talk about whatever you want as long as you're not committing crimes or uttering profanity.

talk about beer, talk about cars, talk about gardening. Make some friends that have shared interests, get some licenses, get on the radio and start runnin your mouth. it's easy

There are contexts in which yes, you're right, the entirety of communications is "Here's my call, I received your call, here's your signal report, next", but contest operators like that are only active now and then and easy to avoid

ya i listed to the local club's net on sunday and dude was like 'yep been layin on the couch all day watching the blow dryer race' (it was raining in daytona sunday)

the tech to me is cooler than the 'talkin to dude across town' stuff

PuTTY riot
Nov 16, 2002

maniacdevnull posted:

idk it would be neat to be licensed to buy cool radio gear and hook it up to cool rc planes and make a drone instead of relying on the government to kill foreigners for me

theyre rly strict about how far u can go w/ rc planes

PuTTY riot
Nov 16, 2002

Werthog 95 posted:

can i listen to local atc on one of the cheapo radios

no, but u should be able to w/ one of those cheapo rtl-sdr dongles

PuTTY riot
Nov 16, 2002

Bloody posted:

can i listen to nasa satellites n poo poo

http://www.belvoireagle.com/news/family_life/article_36718200-9fb5-11e3-95a8-0017a43b2370.html

PuTTY riot
Nov 16, 2002

yes, you can get this from the internet, but isn't pulling it out of the air way cooler?

PuTTY riot
Nov 16, 2002
im a beginner. i got a baofeng uv-5r(a) but any uv-5r is fine. as far as the test goes hamstudy.org is p neat. all of the questions for the test are available so its just finding something that meshes w/ how u study. im taking the test monday :ohdear:

PuTTY riot
Nov 16, 2002
should i get the 8" or 16" nagoya? id imagine 16" is a little big but is it likely to work that much better that it's worth the extra length?

the lil ducky it came w/ can't even pick up broadcast FM inside this metal buidling

PuTTY riot
Nov 16, 2002

maniacdevnull posted:

i know its been said that rc planes and ham isnt a good mix, but is that more a control issue? what if a normal rc radio was used for flying and the ham radio was used for telemetry/video/other comms but no actual stick and rudder controls?

p sure it's all ok as long as ur not violating FAA regs.

PuTTY riot
Nov 16, 2002
so this is only tangentally related but how hard is it to wire up a second batt (marine deep cycle) so that i can run a radio or other accessories (either separately from vehicle electronics like cd player or w/ them?) im assuming u can't/shouldn't crank off of a deep cycle batt but i want the alternator to charge it at least obvs. on the suburban apparently batt install itself is super ez cause theres a factory location for second batt so im not worried about that aspect. would i be better off letting my shadetree mechanic guy do this when he fixes my AC compressor?

PuTTY riot
Nov 16, 2002
test day is today. i woke up w/ stomach pain, took a dump and then threw up. took a promethazine and passed out for like 6 hours. test is in like 3 hours and i'm def not rdy for general exam ugh. and wife is mad cause daycare is closed (loving the south + snow) so she's wfh and watching babby while i slept all day cause promethazine. ugh. gently caress me. at least babby is still napping

PuTTY riot
Nov 16, 2002
passed tech and general :woop: :toot:

PuTTY riot
Nov 16, 2002

Sniep posted:

grats

that was my day 1, too. the general is just like tech::extended anyway imho, if you can learn/cram tech you can put in another 10% of the effort including the general question set.

this is true

why did this thread get voted down from 5?

PuTTY riot
Nov 16, 2002
also my china boat SDR dongles get here today.

PuTTY riot
Nov 16, 2002
thanks jony ur the only reason i even considered taking more than one test. and ya def want to get some hf action going but i want to understand antennas way better first. sounds like the club i tested at has a decent budget and nobody said anything about obama sounds like they just have trouble getting all the members to come. i think thye have a field day or something in a few weeks and will have some radios set up so i guess i will join they club and play w/ they radios hopefulyl they have some cool hf poo poo set up.

v eclectic bunch. silver haired chem prof, volunteer (?) firefighter guy, gen x arduino prof of unknown subject, afrotc guy etc etc. my wife laughed at me when i told her there were no women there.

PuTTY riot
Nov 16, 2002
im not having the best of luck w/ sdr# but im thinking its prob this poo poo antenna

PuTTY riot
Nov 16, 2002
installing cygwin. what have i done

PuTTY riot
Nov 16, 2002
code:
Sync:-DMR
-DMR           slot1         BS DATA  ERR2 CC=7  Idle
-DMR                slot2    BS DATA  ERR3 CC=7  Idle
-DMR           slot1         BS DATA  ERR3 CC=6  PI Header
-DMR           slot1         BS DATA  ERR1 CC=7  Idle
-DMR                slot2    BS DATA  ERR3 CC=2  VOICE Header
-DMR                slot2    BS DATA  ERR1 CC=7  Idle
-DMR                slot2    BS DATA       CC=7  Idle
-DMR  CACH ERR slot1         BS DATA  ERR1 CC=7  Idle
-DMR           slot1         BS DATA  ERR3 CC=2  VOICE Header
-DMR                slot2    BS DATA  ERR3 CC=1  Idle
-DMR  CACH ERR slot1         BS DATA  ERR2 CC=7  Idle
Sync: no sync
im doing something wrong but i heard like just a split second of someone talking so its not *that* wrong

PuTTY riot
Nov 16, 2002

Jonny 290 posted:

ok yeah i cranked the gain and that is a little better. these antennas are terrible lol

tune in a powerhouse FM - it's cool, sdrsharp can decode the RDS

jello are you trying to gently caress around with TRBO over there or something

ya im fuckin w/ TRBO

PuTTY riot
Nov 16, 2002
meet him @ walmart parking lot find a plug on a light pole or smth

PuTTY riot
Nov 16, 2002
or don't cause gently caress ppl who flake out on CL

PuTTY riot
Nov 16, 2002

so this is like 3 hours away, idk if i wanna spend anything yet tho, im not sure what i want to do yet

PuTTY riot
Nov 16, 2002
jonny 290 is like human radio wikipedia

PuTTY riot
Nov 16, 2002

Jonny 290 posted:

haha i was jumping up and down 1mhz at a time just keeping an eye out for any obvious FM signals and i found something

its a wideband fm transmission of ESPN's audio. i think i just picked up my neighbor's wireless speakers

yeah u prob did, im picking up the babby monitor

PuTTY riot
Nov 16, 2002
i just heard the dog bark thru my computer lol

PuTTY riot
Nov 16, 2002
are u just manually scanning up and down or have u played w/ any of the scanner plugins yet?

PuTTY riot
Nov 16, 2002
ok yeah duh filter audio was checked. that should do it. now if only a cop would say smth so i could see

PuTTY riot
Nov 16, 2002
idk some fart sounds and SYNC:-DMR BS DATA flying across cmd window. based on their freqs on radio ref i dont think theyre trunking maybe theyre actually just sending data back n forth and not saying anything ugh the suspense is killing me.

i dont think its encrypted-- how would i tell tho?

PuTTY riot
Nov 16, 2002
im uploading a vid right now but if thats the case they may be encrypted...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PuTTY riot
Nov 16, 2002
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m6JX8wIU79Q

• Locked thread