Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug

Jonny 290 posted:

"You mentioned CB, how's that doing?"

Weirdly. it's kind of fun to hear truckers and such, but everybody runs illegal power now through dirty transmitters, so the band is full of distorted shouting rednecks hitting sound-effects boxes and trying to make their neighbor's TVs blow up. It's basically the fyad of radio. We'll get more into CB on some later posts.

iirc there was (is?) a trucker in AI who used to blast anime theme songs through his CB at truck stops and told stories of the insane screaming rednecks hurling racial slurs at him to shut it off

almost made me want a CB to drown out political right wingers with the happy days theme song

good thread btw

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug

duTrieux. posted:

this thread is really loving cool.

i don't have much to offer beyond whitenoise posting so yeah gonna quote this and leave it.

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug
this thread has got me ordering an sdr dongle from ebay now so i can learn about radio fuckery like you guys

hey spankmeister is this like the one you got that works in 'yurp?

http://www.ebay.de/itm/DVB-T-USB-2-...=item19c65baba2

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug

PuTTY riot posted:

that looks identical to the one i got i just picked whoever had the most sold, or verkauft

ordered it, now gotta figure out if i want to install windows 7 on the mbp to play with the radio waves or if i should just use the old desktop box

looking forward to scanning the airwaves and not understanding what the gently caress is going on

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug

Luigi Thirty posted:

in before "a computer"

i guess one of those dongles like i just bought, burn custom firmware, install software package, listen to guys piss and moan all day

i'm looking forward to trying to listen in on some irc chat things and airplane transponders, it just sounds cool as gently caress and has always fascinated me

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug

Luigi Thirty posted:

oh yeah i read about the digital TV dongles that could be reprogrammed to receive any part of the spectrum worth listening to. i should get one of those though i figured once tech nerds figured that out they'd get expensive

nah mine was like 13 EUR and in the good ol USA you can probably expect around $10

its cheap chinese poo poo that i fully expect to work for no more than 3 months before burning out but that little money for entertainment is well worth it

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug
so i got the dongle a shitload faster than i ever thought possible and now i'm screwing around before dinner, and i think i may have hosed something sideways with this thing

right now i'm located in south eastern germany and i swear i'm picking up a local station (N1 or N-Eins) which is supposed to be at 92.9 mHz on 26.6 mHz. FWIW i can also grab it on 92.9 completely clear, and on 26.6 it's fuzzy but definitely there. a few cursory google searches don't show anything about low-frequency stations in germany so I have no idea if this is my dongle not working or if this is some weird science poo poo i don't understand.

also in before "lol ur dongle has never worked"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug

PuTTY riot posted:

do u have the correct iq or w/e thing checked? also is there constantly a signal line going down ur waterfall thing? idk thats all i can think of other than the broadcast just overpowering ur dongle

i'm gonna follow longview's suggestions and try again, I'm pretty sure this is just down to dongle fuckery and has nothing to do with actual signals. case in point, i shut the program off and came back after dinner, then found that the mysterious duplicated signal is now down at 26.2 MHz instead of 26.6. tried re-tuning and there's nothing near 26.6 anymore

so i think it's just weird poo poo related to the dongle and i'll ignore it

• Locked thread