Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
hey jonny. if i use tomato on my routers @ home and want to bridge them and set them 2 a non-us zone that allows like channel 14 on 2.4ghz how much trouble will that get me in and is it far enough away from normal wifi to get away from all the other aps on 2.4ghz?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Jonny 290 posted:

set them to japan, you should get channel 14, nobody cares, go fuckin hog wild
14 is far enough from 11 that it should be pretty rock solid

cool. so do ppl get really mad if you use any of the ham bands for ur own personal wireless links?

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Jonny 290 posted:

You'd take out a literal entire band if you operated on lower freqs. like, the 2 meter band, most popular for local comms, is only 4 MHz wide. wifi signal is like 20, 40 MHz.

the most likely candidate for best band would be on the 13cm band, which is right below the wifi band. You could retune (or hell maybe even reprogram if it's SDR) an AP to this, in 90% of the country nobody would ever notice because hams are not on that band. And it's not used for satellites right now, which means the only dudes on it are going to be microwave sperglords talking to each other from different mountaintops. They'd get _hella_ pissed and would be very able to track you down because their antennas are so directional, but really, its not an issue.

i dont want to come across as seeming that i'm advocating pirate activity, im just laying down the truths. i respect (only the) amateur radio division of the FCC, and appreciate the fact that I have such a nice license to play with my beloved radio toys. That being said, some of the laws are stupid and pointless

i think it would just be kind of interesting to play w/ radio gear to send digital signals for funsies. getting licensed sounds like a pain tho.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
also is the 2.4/5ghz ranges used by wifi a free fire zone or do those devices need to be licensed?

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

PuTTY riot posted:

their trucks have always been pretty good. we had a 99 suburban that was a huge POS but the rest of them (yeah we went thru like 5, lol) were all rly good. my '01 is running just fine w/ 149k on the clock

my parents had a 96 that went 212k before they sold it. fuel pump had a scheduled failure at like 175k and the interior went to poo poo cause my brother drove it during the end of its life but it was still running fine when they sold it.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Jonny 290 posted:

Honestly they're kind of a neat curiosity to me but I don't sperg out on them like the guys that make the recordings and stuff, as it's generally accepted that they're likely using OTP's and it's prob unbreakable

i would think triangulating their location would be the ham equivalent of geocaching.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
but, you know, interesting

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Bloody posted:

hamradio.jpg

• Locked thread