Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
drukqs
Oct 15, 2010

wank wank you're a pro vaper I'm not wooptiedoo...
I wanted to see video of a tuned Cappuccino and...

While this wasn't exactly what I was looking for I am not disappointed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GEF329uKP8Q

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!
How do you mate the hayabusa engine to the transmission? Do people make custom bell housing adapters?

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

MetaJew posted:

How do you mate the hayabusa engine to the transmission? Do people make custom bell housing adapters?

Das boosa engine and transmission are all one unit. So you put a transmission on a transmission.

drukqs
Oct 15, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=al0nNJxFdMs

hard to find quality videos... there's one of a cappuccino with a rotary in it but its just sitting still.

cursedshitbox posted:

Das boosa engine and transmission are all one unit. So you put a transmission on a transmission.

Yo dawg I herd u like...

... Wait I think I'll get banned if I complete that thought... Damnit.

drukqs fucked around with this message at 09:16 on Feb 25, 2014

Knobjockey
Jul 21, 2003

Crush your enemies.
Bang! and the alien is gone.
Hear the lamentation of Dr. Vahlen.
Very jealous! I love how they seem to have looked at the kei laws and packed as much fun as possible into the space available.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

8ender posted:

Please post a clip of this cars horn. I'm imagining that it is an adorable meep meep sound.

It probably just squeaks :3:

DrPain
Apr 29, 2004

Purrfectly priceless
items here.

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

It probably just squeaks :3:

I bet it sounds like a very polite fart. :3:

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tall dudes in tiny cars club best club. I think that thing's smaller than my Civic judging from the Mata pic.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

13 INCH DICK posted:

Tall dudes in tiny cars club best club. I think that thing's smaller than my Civic judging from the Mata pic.

Only one way to find out. One of you guys has to carry their car on as luggage on a flight to the others' country.

I wanna see it with an OG Mini.

Also, when it rusts you can do this:

Pew! Pew! :3:

jammyozzy
Dec 7, 2006

Is that a challenge?

cursedshitbox posted:

Now I'm imagining some sort of 6 x 5 speed twin stick abomination like a the world's titchiest lorry. :3:

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

kastein posted:

:neckbeard: it's like a power wheels for adults.

I kinda want to see if I fit in one now, at 6'5". There are none on craigslist in the US, however, probably as they won't be importable until 2016.
Is your height in your legs or your torso? Because I find it has plenty of headroom, but my knees touch the dash.

8ender posted:

Please post a clip of this cars horn. I'm imagining that it is an adorable meep meep sound.
Yeah, I'll get a clip of it next time I go out.

MetaJew posted:

I think most people run a propshaft flange off the bike's output shaft, and run that straight to the rear end - for non-race stuff, you can out a reverser box in line with it to give you reverse gear(s). Actually a requirement if you're building something that will need an approval inspection in the UK, as you have to have reverse.

13 INCH DICK posted:

It's about a foot shorter than a Mk1 Civic (130"), about four inches narrower (55") and six inches lower (47"). Weighs maybe 50lbs more.

Seat Safety Switch posted:

I wanna see it with an OG Mini.
Will get a picture with one!

Also, when it rusts you can do this:

Did you see Top Gear this week? The engine in the Caterham 160 they had is the one from late-model Cappuccinos.

12345random
Mar 24, 2013
I love everything about this. Great purchase!

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
I'm not entirely convinced by still having a 14" wheel in the car - in addition to working out a modification of the hub, I've ordered a cheapo 12" one from Ebay to see how that feels, and if it's better, I'll see about getting a decent one.

The car had a slight leak on the driver's side when driving in the wet this evening - just enough for a slightly damp carpet (which dried out while it was parked in the multi-storey for a few hours) and a couple of drips on my arm/leg. Looking at the driver's side window, I don't think it quite sits as high as the passenger one, so may not seal perfectly, and that's also the side where the window motor seems to slip quite a lot. I think if I get a chance at the weekend, I'll pull the door apart and take a gander.

Here's what the horn sounds like, seeing as that appears to be the question of the moment:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aHPSoAiWKms

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you
These things are seriously awesome, nice purchase!

JwintooX
Jul 6, 2013
Man that thing is tiny, I would never get my fat arse in that haha

drukqs
Oct 15, 2010

InitialDave posted:

Did you see Top Gear this week? The engine in the Caterham 160 they had is the one from late-model Cappuccinos.

drat I can't believe I didn't make that connection..

Fits right up with your statement about opening the exhaust and intake netting you about 80hp

Vindolanda
Feb 13, 2012

It's just like him too, y'know?
Needs a Jag straight-six. Maybe...hanging out of the front? On the passenger seat? Any car in Britain must have a Jag six put in it.

Nait Sirhc
Sep 11, 2001
Oh my god that car is amazing.

build the motor and slap a billet TD05 16G on it pls

Setanta
Feb 6, 2010
I love these and the Honda Beat. The Cap edges out the Beat though.

Nice buy, I hope you have lots of fun with it.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
That car (and the Autozam) is pretty much the only thing I'd consider swapping my MX-5 for. How's it for DD purposes? It feels like if I did get one of those, I'd also have to buy a real car as well, because the Miata is already on the edge of having enough usable space and being tolerable on longer highway trips.

There are a couple up for sale in Germany but they're all RHD. This wouldn't be illegal here as far as I can tell, but still a bit of a pain in the rear end. Were there any LHD versions made?

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
I have it as a second car/toy, but there would be nothing stopping you using it as a DD, provided the lack of boot space wasn't a problem. I did my weekly shop in it, and just put everything in the passenger footwell.

I drove it 200 miles home when I bought it, and it was fine.

I'm afraid that they were all RHD only, unless anyone knows better.

InitialDave fucked around with this message at 16:43 on Feb 26, 2014

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

I love these cars, there used to be one around the corner from my parent's house and I always considered going up and asking about it primarily so I could do something stupid like this:

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

InitialDave posted:

I have it as a second car/toy, but there would be nothing stopping you using it as a DD, provided the lack of boot space wasn't a problem. I did my weekly shop in it, and just put everything in the passenger footwell.

Is it not a third or fourth car or have you given up on the landy?

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Tomarse posted:

Is it not a third or fourth car or have you given up on the landy?
I have a degree in man maths. It's technically an eighth car.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep

InitialDave posted:

Here's what the horn sounds like, seeing as that appears to be the question of the moment:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aHPSoAiWKms

:allears: Its exactly the meep i was hoping for

Anarchist Mae
Nov 5, 2009

by Reene
Lipstick Apathy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MPabW9JVxgU
Claimed 330bhp/270nm... weee!

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Goddamn that's gotta be a ton of fun to drive.

But just the thought of driving that anywhere on public roads (especially in TX, where you see more land barges and trucks than small cars) makes my rear end pucker. I don't want to be part of the crumple zone :stonk:

12345random
Mar 24, 2013

drat, that's amazing.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

some texas redneck posted:

Goddamn that's gotta be a ton of fun to drive.

But just the thought of driving that anywhere on public roads (especially in TX, where you see more land barges and trucks than small cars) makes my rear end pucker. I don't want to be part of the crumple zone :stonk:

I'm pretty sure if you are in an accident in a Cappuccino they just dig a slightly larger hole at the cemetary and bury you in it.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
Nope, accident in that car and you're going in the smelter with it.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Yeah, I think it's more of a "squish zone" than a crumple zone.

My 12" steering wheel arrived. Ebay Chinese car modification box art. :allears:

InitialDave fucked around with this message at 00:44 on Feb 28, 2014

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde
TYPE R TYPE R FURIOUS! TYPE R

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
Is the Chinese steering wheel bendable by hand like in that video?

meltie
Nov 9, 2003

Not a sodding fridge.

This one?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SMxB4RpCDzA

Make sure you test it, Dave :eek:

AMISH FRIED PIES
Mar 6, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
This car is like owning a little Corgi, in that it's so cute you should dress it up. Is there a mini-Dodge-Viper body kit or something? This has the proportions to make it look hilarious.

Saga
Aug 17, 2009

InitialDave posted:

I've got a to-do list for the car, which I will try and give updates on as I progress, but let me know if you want to know anything specific about the wee beastie.

So how easy is the GSX-R thou swap and when are you starting?

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Heh, it's certainly not overly stiff, but truth be told I can't complain for £30.

The Orange Mage posted:

This car is like owning a little Corgi, in that it's so cute you should dress it up. Is there a mini-Dodge-Viper body kit or something? This has the proportions to make it look hilarious.
Well, there's the Cobra kit posted above. Or how about an Autozam F40?

Saga posted:

So how easy is the GSX-R thou swap and when are you starting?
A mere thou? 'Busa engines are where it's at, son. Bike engines are doable, and have been done, so it can't be anything insurmountable to fitting one, but I do see some problems, such as the gearing ending up overly low due to the standard diff ratio being compounded by the bike's primary gearing, the bike gearbox not being as happy with the heavier loads on it, things like that.

It's a 50/50 thing. I think if you're going to take the plunge and commit to making one of these things fast, the swap is the way to go, but mild breathing-over of the stock power unit may be enough to keep me entertained for a while. I'd probably prioritise renewing the suspension before I did any engine work, anyhow.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Minor job today, I pulled the doorcard off to have a look at the driver's side electric window - it struggles a little, and you can here something slipping for a brief second before it continues moving.

The drive mechanism all seems fine, no wear or damaged teeth:

I think that it may be an issue internal to the motor unit itself, so I'm going to try and nab a compatible motor from something else (I believe the Ignis regulator assembly is identical, so I may be able to just do a straight swap with one of those rather than swapping motors).

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

InitialDave posted:

Minor job today, I pulled the doorcard off to have a look at the driver's side electric window - it struggles a little, and you can here something slipping for a brief second before it continues moving.

I'd love to find whoever developed (or decided to use) the sticky tar poo poo they use to adhere vapor barriers and make them eat it. God I hate dealing with that poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
I think it's just regular old butyl, not sure though.

Doesn't really bother me much, iirc gasoline or acetone dissolves it quite handily.

• Locked thread