Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
euroboy
Mar 24, 2004

Hello and welcome to the 2014 edition of tippeligaen, the norwegian premier division.

2013 ended with Strømsgodset winning the league,

...and Molde winning the cup.

Since the season ended, Ole Gunnar Solskjær left Molde for Cardiff, Strømsgodset lost some of their best players including talisman Stefan Johansen. Will they be able to follow up the success from last year? We'll see. We'll see.

But enough of them, here's the clubs that will play this season:

Aalesund

Finished fourth last season and had a very good year overall. They extended their contract with manager Jan Jönsson and will probably be up there this year too. Their fortunes will hinge on them managing to hold on to top scorer Hamdallah and keeping Barrantes fit.

Bodø/Glimt

Back in the top division for the first time since going down in 2009. Been on the brink of bankruptcy but turned it around and are now debt free and in good shape. Hoping for a solid mid table finish in their comeback season. Look out central defender Sanè and attacking midfielder Badou, arguably the two best players in adeccoligaen last season. Will take the league by storm this year in my humble opinion.

Brann

Will Brann finally have a drama free year with solid football, good results and positive energy around the club? Of course not. Or maybe I'm wrong? They sacked hopeless manager Rune Skarsfjord and replaced him with swedish league champions Richard Norling who seems very promising. They've made a very solid signing in Vadim Demidov too. They will be one of the teams to watch this season.

Haugesund

Haugesund is a tiny club and should be relegation battlers but finished third last year and seventh in 2012. Can they do it again this season or will they go straight down? I think they will struggle this year, but manager Jørgen Grindheim has a habit of proving the doubters wrong.

Lillestrøm

Theyre a big club but have been fairly mediocre for a long time now. But as we talked about last year they have a lot of promising young players and a few older and more experienced guys and they really should get a strong finish in the top half.

Molde

Molde famously won the league in 2011 and 2012, had a disastrous league campaign last year but sort of made up for it by winning the cup. Since then they've lost Ole Gunnar Solskjær, his excellent backroom staff, and important players in Berget, Dæhli and Vatshaug in addition to the "support" of super agent Jim Solbakken. However, they still have a disgustingly large amount of money, some very good players and an exciting new manager in Tor Ole Skullerud. They are still good enough to compete, and Harmeet Singh is a really good signing.

Odd

Odd must be the definition of mid table mediocrity, but thanks to ancient striker Frode Johnson (who turns 40 next month) they finished in an impressive seventh place after he lumped in sixteen goals to become top scorer. Will he be able to repeat that this season or will his dinosaur body let him down?

Rosenborg BK

The most succesfull club in norwegian football, but they haven't been very succesful the last few years. Lost the cup final to bitter rivals Molde and lost out on the league title on the last day of the season which should spur them on to go all the way this season. While their rivals have lost important parts of the team they have managed to keep hold of theirs and make some quality signings and is officially my favorites to win the league. The real questions is, will Nicki Bille-Nielsen stay out of jail this year?

Sandnes Ulf

I have no idea how they are still in the league. Without a doubt the smallest club in the league, and I think it will be very tough for them. They lost Høiland to Molde last year, but have made a few smart signings (Jaiteh, Langås) from adeccoligaen which could help them stay up.

Sarpsborg 08

Managed by Brian Deane and barely stayed up last year. Will be relegation battlers this year too. Their performances will depend on if all their part time players will have time to play matches or if they have to go their real jobs.

Sogndal

They were a part of the relegation battle last season and will struggle this year too. If veteran striker Azar Karadas can find some old form it help them alot. Their song is annoying catchy. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JyYevYDkZiY

Stabæk

Back in tippeligaen after a year in adeccoligaen. No one really expected them to go up again after selling all their good players, cutting costs and playing kids and cast offs from other clubs. Had a good run at the end of the season and earned promotion on the last day of the year and is now in pretty good shape. Hired Bob Bradley as their manager who seems to have a very sensible vision of how to run the club. They can be a big surprise this year.

Start

Had a rollercoaster year last season and somehow finished 8th after spending much of the first half of the season down in the dumps. Will probably have a similar season this year.

Strømsgodset

Their fairy tale story with manager Ronny Deila seemed the end after last season when he was about to leave the club after taking them from adeccoligaen and turning them into cup and league winning team over a five year period. He changed his mind however and turned down the chance to manage bigger clubs to try his chance with Godset in europe. Probably the most exciting team to watch over the last few years, but things might get tough for them this year. They dont have much money compared to their rivals, and they had to sell players like Stefan Johansen and Ola Kamara which they will have a very hard time replacing. I think they will finish somewhere between third and seventh this year.

Tromsø

Trom... oh. Nevermind, I forgot that they went down last season. Just scratch this.

Viking

I've got a bit of a soft spot for Viking, I don't really know why. Maybe its because theyre a really big club that havent been succesful in ages? That could change this year. They've got a strong team despite losing Trond Olsen to Glimt, and Kjell Jonevret is an excellent manager. Finished fifth last year and I think they will improve on that. They've got a host of young and exciting players that could really step up this year and deliver. As long as the club doesn't go broke and has to sell them in the meantime...

Vålerenga

Perennial underachievers, and a team you either love or love to hate. Most likely the team with the largest support in TRP. Known for charasmatic manager Kjetil Rekdal, seemingly never ending financial woes and enthuasiastic supporters. It's impossible to predict how they'll do this year but my guess is that they will finish mid table somewhere. Heltne Nilsen and Stengel are two excellent signings and will be a big part of the club while the period of transition continues.

The glorious thing about this league is how unpredictable everyting is, so you shouldn't care too much about predictions.

It all kicks off on march 28th, and will end on november 9th. The ever so annoying summer break will have a world cup in it so it won't be too bad.

Talking points:
- Strømsgodset lost 15-0 (yes, 15-0) to Lokomotiv Moscow in a friendly today.
- Norway got a qualification group to euro 2016 that will probably end up with us narrowly not qualifing because of a loss to Azerbaidjan at home or something.
- Ibba Laajab works part time at a Shell gas station when he's not banging in goals from Glimt
- Alanzhinho might be on his way to Aalesund

Here's some videos to get you in the mood.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=szoMEimHxwE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ysxnN1WunvU
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q2sstB8rERY
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oOYbIgWl0jQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jdJPHPFlbZQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4vTMXbGLC8c

euroboy fucked around with this message at 15:35 on Feb 24, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
Does 'tippe' mean 'top' in Norwegian, OP?

euroboy
Mar 24, 2004

Its betting related. You "tipp" on a team to win and thats where its from. The 4 pm saturday match on tv is called "tippekamp" - the tippe match. We love to tipp on things.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
Is gambling particularly popular in Norway?

euroboy
Mar 24, 2004

Yeah we really like to tipp on things.

Blue Star Error
Jun 11, 2001

For this recipie you will need:
Football match (Halftime of), Celebrity Owner (Motivational speaking of), Sherry (Bottle of)
I'm a big Lillestrøm plastic I love all teams called The Canaries

euroboy
Mar 24, 2004

Blue Screen Error posted:

I'm a big Lillestrøm plastic I love all teams called The Canaries

Big Alex Tettey would be ashamed of you

Al2001
Apr 7, 2007

You've gone through at the back
Ima be a Brann plastic this year because I enjoy solid bowel movements and envy those who experience them regularly.

Other norge shithouse teams, this is what I think of u:

Puseklepp
Jan 9, 2011

like watching the most beautiful ballerina on the best stage
I love Brann fans. Welcome.

Ewar Woowar
Feb 25, 2007

I used to sleep with a hot Norwegian girl who supported Brann so I'll be supporting them.

What is your local team Euroboy?

Simone Poodoin
Jun 26, 2003

Che storia figata, ragazzo!

I'm a Rosenborg plastic because Gamboa owns.

please don't break him before the world cup tia

Huckert
Aug 1, 2007

For the love of the game
Last season we had a new manager, new players and in general a very yo-yo season. This year there are no excuses.

..well except we'll be without a right-back during the world cup. And Nicki Bille will certainly spend most of the season in jail. And I'll get to other excuses as we find them.

euroboy
Mar 24, 2004

I cant understand why anyone would choose to support Brann, dont you know what youre doing to yourself??

Ewar Woowar posted:

I used to sleep with a hot Norwegian girl who supported Brann so I'll be supporting them.

What is your local team Euroboy?

Bodø/Glimt. Norwich star Big Alex Tettey used to play for us!

azathosk
Aug 20, 2006

Sup guys?

euroboy posted:

I cant understand why anyone would choose to support Brann, dont you know what youre doing to yourself??

Bodø/Glimt. Norwich star Big Alex Tettey used to play for us!

Forgive them, for they don't know what they are doing.

And if you go by teams Big Alex Tettey used to play for you should support Skeid in the Oddsenliga.

Puseklepp
Jan 9, 2011

euroboy posted:

It's a good time to become a plastic imo. We're gonna have a few good years under Norling, where they can warm to the team before the downturn comes back and we get bankrupt/relegated.

Hip Flask
Dec 14, 2010

Zip Mask

euroboy posted:

thanks to ancient striker Frode Olsen (who turns 40 next month) they finished in an impressive seventh place after he lumped in sixteen goals to become top scorer. Will he be able to repeat that this season or will his dinosaur body let him down?

Frode Olsen saves, but Frode Johnsen scores.

euroboy
Mar 24, 2004

Hip Flask posted:

Frode Olsen saves, but Frode Johnsen scores.

Ugh, that's a big fail by me.

Baggins
Feb 21, 2007

Like a Great Wind!

azathosk posted:

Forgive them, for they don't know what they are doing.

They have chosen their path, leave them be in their agony and despair.

Can't say I'm feeling particularly optimistic about this season though. It has all the hallmarks of a finish somewhere around 7th and a third or fourth round exit in the cup.

I'd love to be proven wrong though.

Puseklepp
Jan 9, 2011

Baggins posted:

They have chosen their path, leave them be in their agony and despair.

Can't say I'm feeling particularly optimistic about this season though. It has all the hallmarks of a finish somewhere around 7th and a third or fourth round exit in the cup.

I'd love to be proven wrong though.

7th for VIF sounds a bit optimistic tbh. RBK, Godset, Molde, Brann, Viking and Aalesunds should all comfortably end above VIF. And I'm not all that confident VIF are gonna end up top of the Lillestrøm/Haugesund/Odd/Start bunch either. 7th would be a decent season for VIF.

Charlotte Hornets
Dec 30, 2011

by Fritz the Horse
is Eirik Bakke still an alcoholic?

euroboy
Mar 24, 2004

You never stop being an alcoholic iirc. He's a coach now or something.

azathosk
Aug 20, 2006

Sup guys?

Puseklepp posted:

7th for VIF sounds a bit optimistic tbh. RBK, Godset, Molde, Brann, Viking and Aalesunds should all comfortably end above VIF. And I'm not all that confident VIF are gonna end up top of the Lillestrøm/Haugesund/Odd/Start bunch either. 7th would be a decent season for VIF.

I think we're on par with Haugesund/Odd/Start. We need another striker, a good defender and some luck with the new transfers. Sivert Heltne Nilsen will be the player of the year at Vålerenga, and we will most definately end above LSK no matter what. There. I said it.

Max Manus
Oct 25, 2004

Saboteur par excellence.
Nap Ghost
The big things LSK's seasons hinge on is getting a proper striker and avoiding injuries. The club desperatly needs a dude up front that can guarantee 10+ goals.

Alas there is no money...

Blue Star Error
Jun 11, 2001

For this recipie you will need:
Football match (Halftime of), Celebrity Owner (Motivational speaking of), Sherry (Bottle of)

Max Manus posted:

The big things LSK's seasons hinge on is getting a proper striker and avoiding injuries. The club desperatly needs a dude up front that can guarantee 10+ goals.

I have faith in Johan Andersson and Moryké Fofana

euroboy
Mar 24, 2004

Max Manus posted:

Surely its time to bring back Thorstein Helstad. Norway, the land of the dinosaur strikers.

Huckert
Aug 1, 2007

For the love of the game
Give Steffen Iversen a hamburger and leave him in the oppositions box, I'm sure he'll still nod in double digits in a season.

azathosk
Aug 20, 2006

Sup guys?
According to every football club you need about 10 mill NOK to get yourself "a proper striker who can bag 15+ goals".

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007
Aalesund will win the league. Or more likely, look unbeatable half the season and stumble from draw to loss the other, as we seem wont to do the past few years. Admittedly Jönsson has to take a lot of the blame for our partial collapse in the second half of last season by continuously not deciding on whether to sign a new contract or not, so we might be luckier this year. Our team hasn't really been weakened so far, though we'll be very lucky to keep both (or either) of Hamdallah and Barrantes over the summer. And even if we do keep one or both, they might get sulky over not getting to move to a better league as well. Could use some reinforcements though, especially in defense.

Puseklepp
Jan 9, 2011

azathosk posted:

According to every football club you need about 10 mill NOK to get yourself "a proper striker who can bag 15+ goals".

Actually Brann got Huseklepp for free.

(Please return to that level, Erik.)

ephex
Nov 4, 2007

PHWOAR CRIMINAL
Please post some Norwegian chants for your teams (including translations pls) I'm genuinely interested what you guys are singing in the stadium.

Huckert
Aug 1, 2007

For the love of the game
Our fans are sadly not very creative, and it's mostly the same old Rosenborg songs with a few referee chants when those apply(Either 'loving rear end in a top hat' or 'the referee is from Molde). My personal favorite is probably one that just alternates between R-B-K and Ro-Sen-Borg but moves across the stadium for each syllable. Gets the crowd participating, and not just the fan section.

Puseklepp and Azathosk can probably provide better chants, they're affiliated with the most fanatical crowds.

Puseklepp
Jan 9, 2011

My favourites (and most common ones I guess) are:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hyye_tp6lww

Å, Bergen by, er nydelig
Å, Bergen by er nydelig
Vi har Hansaøl og daier
Ja, Bergen by er nydelig

Translated:

Oh, Bergen city is wonderful
Oh, Bergen city is wonderful
We got Hansa beer and boobs
Yes, Bergen city is wonderful

----------------------------------------------------

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KzBqa6sqmoE

Lalala la la lalala la la la
Byen e Bergen og laget e Brann
Stedet e Stadion og syng all mann
Heia Brann, Brann, Braaaaann
Heia Brann

Translated:

The city is Bergen and the team is Brann
The place is the stadium and sing everybody
Go Brann, Brann, Braaaann
Go Brann

-----------------------------------------------------

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q15-iD8WAjM

Vi e Brann, Bergens stolthet
SK Brann, Bergens stolthet
[repeat]

Translated:

We are Brann, the pride of Bergen
SK Brann, the pride of Bergen
[repeat]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OlZQLENaQAc

Vi e berømte Brann fra Bergen
Vi skal vinne serien i år
Ja visst faen skal vi det
Som i 1963
Mens vi ler av alle bønder i vårt land

Translated:

We are the famous Brann from Bergen
We're gonna win the league this year
Yes, loving right we will
Like in 1963
While we laugh at all the farmers in our country

And this one from when we won the league in 2007:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X0DGpjUficE

Tjukk og feit og full og seriegull
Tjukk og feit og full
Tjukk og feit og full

Translated:

Chubby and fat and drunk and league winner's gold
Chubby and fat and drunk
Chubby and fat and drunk

Puseklepp
Jan 9, 2011

Lurgy posted:

Our fans are sadly not very creative, and it's mostly the same old Rosenborg songs with a few referee chants when those apply(Either 'loving rear end in a top hat' or 'the referee is from Molde). My personal favorite is probably one that just alternates between R-B-K and Ro-Sen-Borg but moves across the stadium for each syllable. Gets the crowd participating, and not just the fan section.

Puseklepp and Azathosk can probably provide better chants, they're affiliated with the most fanatical crowds.

I hate the Ro-Sen-Borg chant. Especially when we're losing and all I hear is that loving chant over and over.

Huckert
Aug 1, 2007

For the love of the game
Which, to be honest, is probably the best thing about it.

Hip Flask
Dec 14, 2010

Zip Mask
The chorus of this song would be an excellent Puseklepp chant

http://halvdansivertsen.no/index_vis.php?id_hov=7&id_port=8&id_lyr=83

Puseklepp
Jan 9, 2011

I like the song he got already:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-g9FplbGz98

euroboy
Mar 24, 2004

euroboy posted:

Their fortunes will hinge on them managing to hold on to top scorer Hamdallah and keeping Barrantes fit.

...aaaand Hamdallah is off to China after Guangzhou and Sven-Gøren Eriksson outbid FC København.

http://www.tv2.no/2014/02/28/sport/tippeligaen/fotball/aalesund/5366886#.UxBWE-N5POG

Puseklepp
Jan 9, 2011

That's an insane sum.

Max Manus
Oct 25, 2004

Saboteur par excellence.
Nap Ghost

euroboy posted:

Surely its time to bring back Thorstein Helstad. Norway, the land of the dinosaur strikers.

Already tried that, did not work out. Too injury prone, and I believe he might even have retired after the contract with him ran out after last season.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Puseklepp
Jan 9, 2011

Helstad is only a good striker when wearing a Brann shirt.

• Locked thread