Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Grammar Aryan
Apr 22, 2008
I think there's going to be a Radiant starter set that's supposed to come out, but that's primarily because the one that came out is a Dire set.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ManiacClown
May 30, 2002

Gone, gone, O honky man,
And rise the M.C. Etrigan!

Looking it over again, you can definitely yank the Cowl of the Belt because it just says "game element." I think it's still up in the air as to if you can assign it to one of your own characters.

Edit: I also looked over the dials and HOLY poo poo that Persuader is every bit as mean for his day as the original was. Why do I have to want so many Super Rares from this set already?

ManiacClown fucked around with this message at 20:23 on Feb 25, 2014

ManiacClown
May 30, 2002

Gone, gone, O honky man,

You know, looking over it all again it's funny. They had to bill the set as Superman and the Legion of Super-Heroes for it to sell, but the only Superman in it is a chase unless the Superboy's Clark instead of Connor. I like how they did some of the Legionnaires even though I don't really know much about practically any of them. I particularly like Colossal Boy and— though she doesn't bring much the table offensively— Shadow Lass. They really seem to have made the Fatal Five truly dangerous in the spirit of their original versions. Until I looked at this I'd forgotten about Emerald Empress and how utterly badass she is.

Eckertmania
May 11, 2007

"'Hey, a computer took your place, daddy.' That's hard times! That's hard times!"

ManiacClown posted:

You know, looking over it all again it's funny. They had to bill the set as Superman and the Legion of Super-Heroes for it to sell, but the only Superman in it is a chase unless the Superboy's Clark instead of Connor. I like how they did some of the Legionnaires even though I don't really know much about practically any of them. I particularly like Colossal Boy and— though she doesn't bring much the table offensively— Shadow Lass. They really seem to have made the Fatal Five truly dangerous in the spirit of their original versions. Until I looked at this I'd forgotten about Emerald Empress and how utterly badass she is.

It's Clark, not Connor as Superboy.

Sanschel
Aug 9, 2002

The full dials for Prof X & White Phoenix Hope have also been spoiled: http://www.hcrealms.com/forum/showthread.php?p=7832289#post7832289

Prof is as appropriately stupid powerful as his card indicated, Hope is fairly disappointing; that Support power is fantastic but why am I spending 175 points for one attack click and then Support?

I also spoke with one of my local shops today and he mentioned the OP kit for SLoSH was $60, $40 more than standard. IIM was also $60 but was justifiable because the Power Plants were huge, there are no such gigantic things in the Legion kit.

Black Witch is a little disappointing as a Prime; getting 20 extra points of relics is amazing and I love it, but 170 points is so drat expensive. Comparing Blackfire & Black Witch to Hobgoblin, Jubilee, & Hyperion it certainly seems like Marvel has the advantage of useful SR Primes.

In other news I never before realized that the figure numbers for prime pieces are actual prime numbers.

Seymour Butts
Jun 26, 2003
I break girls in like baseball gloves
Stupid question time. Is the starter set supposed to come with the poker chips of the characters in the starter set? Just opened the Avengers starter set and 3 of the characters match and 3 are characters that didn't come in the set. Seems weird. I know they aren't officially named poker chips, but that's what they are. Still haven't read the rules, ate some sushi that didn't agree with my tummy yesterday and I felt too nauseous to open it. I'm gonna dig into it later and see what I learn, but I just opened it and I don't know if I should return it or something.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
Everyone gets the same poker chips, it's not an exact character match to who was in the starter.

Seymour Butts
Jun 26, 2003
I break girls in like baseball gloves
Thanks for that! Promise the next question I ask will be gameplay related :D

The Grammar Aryan
Apr 22, 2008
Welp, it looks like the only way to get Teddy Bears is to pull Toyman, since it's packed in with him and classed as an SR. :argh:

On the bright side, I have enough toy cars to start a miniature Nascar.

Morand
Apr 16, 2004

1: Start New Game
2: Start New Game
3: Start New Game

:aaa:

Sanschel posted:

The full dials for Prof X & White Phoenix Hope have also been spoiled: http://www.hcrealms.com/forum/showthread.php?p=7832289#post7832289

Prof is as appropriately stupid powerful as his card indicated

GODDAMN. That is one pissed off professor.

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

That Prof. X is just the nastiest drat thing good lord

ManiacClown
May 30, 2002

Gone, gone, O honky man,

The Grammar Aryan posted:

Welp, it looks like the only way to get Teddy Bears is to pull Toyman, since it's packed in with him and classed as an SR. :argh:

On the bright side, I have enough toy cars to start a miniature Nascar.

What's the toy frequency and do they take up a slot? If so, which rarity?

Sanschel
Aug 9, 2002

So hey, how about that Takion, with his HSS/PW. No no, it's cool, you don't need to Prob me this game, I got it, bro.

All the set except for two LEs are spoiled. I fully expect some Science Police to show up at least at Origins if not Gencon if they don't get watch listed before then.

Sanschel fucked around with this message at 04:00 on Feb 26, 2014

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

ManiacClown posted:

they supposedly take up a slot, but there's 2 per brick

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
Triplicate Girl syncs up insanely well with her gravity feed self.

ManiacClown
May 30, 2002

Gone, gone, O honky man,

Now that we've seen the maps and know they're a lot of elevated terrain, it looks like close combat is going to rule the roost with AvX month 3. Here's a team I'm looking at running. Ant-Man and Captain America can fly thanks to Fragments and Spider-Man has IM: Hindering/Elevated/Outdoor Blocking/Characters. Scarlet Witch can phase, though with limited LoF I wonder if maybe I should skip using her altogether. It's a gamble that could pay off as I don't see a lot of TAs I'll need to nuke.

The format is 700 points, Marvel only, any carded set is legal but at least one character must come from your faction's starter. I'm Avengers. The only resources allowed are the Infinity Gauntlet, Power Plant, and Phoenix Force. If you run a themed team of either Avengers or X-Men you get 2 extra points toward your AvX storyline standing. Colossals and team bases are allowed with certain restrictions, but I don't have any I'd bother to use or even can if I want to run theme.

The strategy behind the build is that Ant-Man lends Cap his 20 Defense, with Cap bumping it up situationally by another 2 so that ideally I'm making any attackers try to hit a 22 Defense.
pre:
CW173	Ant-Man			75
	Fragment- Colossus
AVX007	Black Panther		100
AVX006	Scarlet Witch		100
AVX001	Captain America		200
	Fragment- Cyclops
AVX004	Spider-Man		125
AVM208	Hawkeye			65
	The Phoenix Force	12
	3 fragments		9
	2 assigned characters	6
-----------------------------------
			Total:	692
In fact, here's a build without Wanda.
pre:
CW173	Ant-Man			75
	Fragment- Colossus
AVX007	Black Panther		100
AVX001	Captain America		200
	Fragment- Cyclops
AVX004	Spider-Man		125
FI018	Iron Fist		94
CW030	Wasp			77
	The Phoenix Force	12
	3 fragments		9
	2 assigned characters	6
-----------------------------------
			Total:	698

ManiacClown fucked around with this message at 07:11 on Feb 26, 2014

The Grammar Aryan
Apr 22, 2008

ManiacClown posted:

They definitely take up a slot, but they take up a common slot. I got three bricks, and wound up with 5 Race Cars, 4 Airplanes, 4 Cymbal-Banging Monkeys, and 1 Teddy Bear. The pack that I got Toyman in had one of each toy packed separately, a Lex Luthor, and a Teddy Bear packed into the bag Toyman was in.

ManiacClown
May 30, 2002

Gone, gone, O honky man,

According to today's preview of Gaia the Dragon Champion they seem to have pushed the Yu-Gi-Oh release to April. I wonder what happened.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Allow me to christen the new thread with the very first "gently caress you, Yu-Gi-Oh".

Because gently caress you, Yu-Gi-Oh.

ManiacClown
May 30, 2002

Gone, gone, O honky man,

CapnAndy posted:

Allow me to christen the new thread with the very first "gently caress you, Yu-Gi-Oh".

Because gently caress you, Yu-Gi-Oh.

"gently caress you-Gi-Oh," if you will.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

ManiacClown posted:

According to today's preview of Gaia the Dragon Champion they seem to have pushed the Yu-Gi-Oh release to April. I wonder what happened.
God dammit. They finally make some goofy references, and they stick it on a 225-point body that could be going toe-to-toe with Gandalf.

Edit Jesus Christ that speed.

Dre2Dee2
Dec 6, 2006

Just a striding through Kamen Rider...
That dude has a move called Double Dragon Lance

How can you hate something that radtastical :allears:

ManiacClown
May 30, 2002

Gone, gone, O honky man,

Looking at the maps and all their elevated, would it or would it not be a good idea to run AvX Iron Man (with Perplex support for his AV, obviously) and maybe even say "gently caress theme" and run both him and Blastaar?

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

So while I'm waiting for my case from Cool stuff to come in I picked up the Fast forces pack and 3 boosters and I'm very happy with this set (and the fact I pulled Darkseid holy crap) I also got the money and racecar, I hope toyman will be in the case.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
What's the map for the legion of doom fast forces like?

Sanschel
Aug 9, 2002

Had a sealed tonight, I pulled Grundy & Prime Cheetah. Round 1 vs Emerald Empress & Mano; Cheetah missed all her attacks, Grundy KO'd both after resurrecting to his third click. Round 2 vs Emerald Empress & Tellus; Cheetah missed all her attacks, Grundy KO'd both after resurrecting to his second click. Round 3 vs Takion, Sensor Girl, & Monkey; Cheetah took an early blast to the face onto Poison, which she used to KO the Monkey & Sensor Girl but otherwise missed all her attacks :rolleyes:; Takion was running circles around Grundy but crit missed an attack that left him one square too close for a Charge that took him off Faster Than Thought and shortly thereafter a KO. However I was being a whiny bitch the entire night and made the third round particularly miserable for my opponent, so I tossed him the Mon-El I won to make up for being unsportsmanlike; in the future I should eat before going to games so I'm less of an awful human being.

Grundy is a big pile of stupid and I'm really having a hard time seeing how to KO him in 300 sealed short of a flawless Takion game. Speaking of, Takion is also a big pile of stupid, getting to HSS/PW is just dumb powerful. I'm only thankful nobody pulled and ran any Science Police because I really didn't feel like facing any of those little terrors. In other news the shop owner opened his cases for singles during the tournament and I am now the proud owner of four Science Police I look forward to terrorizing people with :D

edit: Also this one some dude's awesome booster.

Take three parts Triplicate Girl, mix well, add a dash of Gates for maximum Legion hilarity.

thebardyspoon posted:

What's the map for the legion of doom fast forces like?

Hall of Doom/Slaughter Swamp, Indoor/Outdoor:

Hall of Doom, Indoor/Outdoor:

Sanschel fucked around with this message at 10:04 on Feb 27, 2014

Volfogg
Dec 19, 2010

Some say she was raised by sentient birds, and that test subjects replicating her equipment were horribly broken.

All we know is she's called
The Hunter

Well, now that the set's completely out, I've looked over the full list, and thankfully, there's really only three or four pieces I'd actually WANT. Grundy (for Grundy's sake), Stargirl (love me some Martial Artists. Still waiting from Street Fighter Set 2) and Lydea Mallor. The fourth would be Bizarro, but I just count him with the resat of the Legion of Doom in that I do want them (except not so much so for Toyman). Even more so now that I'm getting my hands on a Gentleman Ghost! I just love having fun with things. That's pretty much THE reason that I really love the fact that Duhg, as a piece, exists.

All that said, I really want that drat Mother Box. IT SHALL BE MINE.

Sanschel posted:

Also this one some dude's awesome booster.

Take three parts Triplicate Girl, mix well, add a dash of Gates for maximum Legion hilarity.

That is one of the best packs ever, comedy-wise.

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

Sanschel posted:

However I was being a whiny bitch the entire night and made the third round particularly miserable for my opponent, so I tossed him the Mon-El I won to make up for being unsportsmanlike; in the future I should eat before going to games so I'm less of an awful human being.

Clix does this to me too, occasionally. Missing a < 5 roll even with a couple re-rolls, or an opponent hitting a ludicrous number a couple times tips me into unpleasantness. Really nothing else in my life gets my hackles like being dice hosed by Clix hah

The Grammar Aryan
Apr 22, 2008
Played in a 400 Sealed last night, and managed to hack together an interesting team- Wildfire, Polar Boy, Universo, a Science Police Officer, and a Race Car.

1st match against Lightray, a Daxamite, Black Manta, and non-Prime Cheetah. It was a rough fight, mostly because of Lightray's Hypersonic letting him steadily tag my guys down, but Wildfire's stop clicks kept him in the game long enough for time to be called, and I won on points. My opponent tried to argue that I lost, but was overruled.

2nd match against Validus, Cheetah, Lightray, and a Science Cop. I was terrified of Validus, but a couple of Mind Controls from Universo putting him on Outwit and crippling my opponent's team meant it wasn't too bad. Everybody copying the PD TA also helped.

3rd match against Mon-El, Solomon Grundy, and a 25-point Bizarro. This one was really touch and go. I managed to steadily tag down my opponents, and the Science Cop meant that my opponent was overcautious about running in. Bizarro went down to the Cop's Damage special after a Hypersonic, Grundy wound up crit missing to death, then time was called...and we both scored 225 points. It went to a roll-off, and I wound up with 2nd place and a Mordru. A great match all around.

Morand
Apr 16, 2004

1: Start New Game
2: Start New Game
3: Start New Game

:aaa:

Waffles Inc. posted:

Clix does this to me too, occasionally. Missing a < 5 roll even with a couple re-rolls, or an opponent hitting a ludicrous number a couple times tips me into unpleasantness.

Oh god this. There is a guy at my one venue who is so bad, but my last 2 games against him have been so incredibly close because my dice have decided that they WILL NOT ROLL WELL against him. Doing nothing wrong and losing drives me up a goddamn wall.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
My bad habit is playing a figure I've wanted since they got previewed or just wanted for ages and never got round to buying and then being over confident or playing them badly, getting them sent to the knackers yard super quick and then sulking.

Torrent
Apr 18, 2003
" . . . "

thebardyspoon posted:

My bad habit is playing a figure I've wanted since they got previewed or just wanted for ages and never got round to buying and then being over confident or playing them badly, getting them sent to the knackers yard super quick and then sulking.

Around here, we call that 'the debut jinx.' The first time you play something you really want to play, they'll do poorly. It's just how the game works.

For me, other than not being able to ever hit if I need a 6 (seriously, a 7 or 8 is fine, but face me with a 6, and I'll whiff all the time), my annoying habit is to start quoting probability, once things go poorly for a bit. One notable tournament, I was up to "one out of three is zero out of forty-two" on Leadership rolls.

Got our Legion sealed tournament tonight. I'm judging, so I'll only buy in and play if we have an odd number, but I'm looking forward to watching. This set is so cool!

The Grammar Aryan
Apr 22, 2008

Morand posted:

Oh god this. There is a guy at my one venue who is so bad, but my last 2 games against him have been so incredibly close because my dice have decided that they WILL NOT ROLL WELL against him. Doing nothing wrong and losing drives me up a goddamn wall.

Seriously. I'm not superstitious, and I've had to field a ton of RNG complaints in general, so I know there's no such thing as mojo. Still, I've got a ziploc of spare dice in my toolkit because sometimes it just makes you feel better, you know?

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Call no man a true HeroClix player until he brings at least three sets of dice with him to tournaments, and sometimes brings out an extra set just to show to the regular ones, to put the fear of God into them that they'll be replaced if they keep this bullshit up.

VELOUR SPACESUIT
Feb 4, 2008

Well well well, this looks to be one disturbingly erotic post

The Grammar Aryan posted:

Seriously. I'm not superstitious, and I've had to field a ton of RNG complaints in general, so I know there's no such thing as mojo. Still, I've got a ziploc of spare dice in my toolkit because sometimes it just makes you feel better, you know?

How many bad rolls before you bust out the B team of dice? I see people do this all the time (I have done it once or twice) and it usually happens between games or after the Hail Mary misses, but there is one guy at my FLGS who changes dice EVERY TIME HE MISSES. He isn't casual about it either, he quietly yet angerily talks down to his dice like they are his children embarrassing him in the middle of the mall and lightly slams them into his tray and continues like nothing happened. It is actually kind of entertaining/sad when he misses a bunch of times in a row.

I will never get mad at someone beating me if they out-play me or even if my dice betray me, but if I realize that I messed something up/forgot something and it leads to my loss, nothing can console me. Nothing is worse than looking like an idiot.

I have never walked out of a tournament or anything, but there have been days I wanted to.

VELOUR SPACESUIT fucked around with this message at 23:06 on Feb 27, 2014

Kadath
Aug 17, 2004

Put Your 'Lectric Eye On Me, Babe
Grimey Drawer
I've lost games because I couldn't roll to hit a 5+ through three rolls, but I won a game the other night because my opponent got a crit failure that put his figure onto its stop click and I finished it off in a single hit on my next turn. So uh dice man, dice.

Slaapaav
Mar 3, 2006

by Azathoth
I have used the same pair of dice for like 5 years, but I still bring a few extra in case others need to borrow.

The Grammar Aryan
Apr 22, 2008

VELOUR SPACESUIT posted:

How many bad rolls before you bust out the B team of dice? I see people do this all the time (I have done it once or twice) and it usually happens between games or after the Hail Mary misses, but there is one guy at my LFGS who changes dice EVERY TIME HE MISSES. He isn't casual about it either, he quietly yet angerily talks down to his dice like they are his children embarrassing him in the middle of the mall and lightly slams them into his tray and continues like nothing happened. It is actually kind of entertaining/sad when he misses a bunch of times in a row.

I will never get mad at someone beating me if they out-play me or even if my dice betray me, but if I realize that I messed something up/forgot something and it leads to my loss, nothing can console me. Nothing is worse than looking like an idiot.

I have never walked out of a tournament or anything, but there have been days I wanted to.

I really only do it if I get a chain of low rolls that means I missed all my setup attacks, and even then as more of a joke, because then at least I'm doing something. On more than one occasion I've done a lot of careful setup, said "now I just need to not crit miss," and then promptly crit missed. It's happened more often than I like, but that's probably just confirmation bias. Dice! :argh:

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

VELOUR SPACESUIT posted:

How many bad rolls before you bust out the B team of dice? I see people do this all the time (I have done it once or twice) and it usually happens between games or after the Hail Mary misses, but there is one guy at my FLGS who changes dice EVERY TIME HE MISSES. He isn't casual about it either, he quietly yet angerily talks down to his dice like they are his children embarrassing him in the middle of the mall and lightly slams them into his tray and continues like nothing happened. It is actually kind of entertaining/sad when he misses a bunch of times in a row.

I switch to my alternate dice when nothing is going my way, as a sort of mental palate cleanser. It's like in every match there's sometimes those shots you take that you're completely confident of ("I only need a 5 and I have a re-roll and it'll setup another play"), and I get so frustrated when those whiff.

Those moments where you crit miss your master plan attack and then the opponent crit hits and Forrest Gump's their way into a crazy setup. That's when the new dice come out hah.

I've never walked out either, and my demeanor usually has me ending up apologizing for acting like a little baby like 10 minutes afterwards

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Steve Vader
Apr 29, 2005

Everyone's Playing!

I get worked up during the game (enough so that I'll sometimes stand up to roll and then do a little anger-waddle of bottled frustration if I miss a crucial roll, but I try to make my rage humorous for others, at least), but give me five minutes after, and I generally stop caring and unclench.

My dice are generally bad enough that I have a reputation for rolling badly. That said, I tend to rely on the old Fantastic Four starter dice, as they treated me fairly well, and the dice that came with the Thor starter years ago were somewhat nice to me, too. I have shitloads of dice, and the AvX ones I'm using for those tourneys and they're doing okay, but I usually leave a lot of them alone. I could probably clean some of them out of my tacklebox to make more room for objects.

Oh, and I use tackleboxes for storage, with separation dividers when possible to categorize teams. I store by general theme and not set, because I'm a themehead.

• Locked thread