Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Aces High posted:

I think I will see this in the cheap theatres or with a free ticket that I sometimes get because while it will be interesting for seeing how over-the-top Eva Green will be it won't be the same without David Wenham narrating :(

Unless I completely missed something and his character is still present, because I could listen to that man read the phone book :allears:

Having just got back from seeing this I've got bad news, the extent of his lines is pretty much just "Oh hey, Themistocles." The only reason to see this is Eva Green, who is awesome, but don't waste your money on seeing it in the theater. Themistocles is ok, but he's standing deep in the shade of Butler's Leonidas. Also Sparta sure doesn't act like Sparta for 99.9% of their contractually obligated appearance. Man, sure is a good thing ol' Themistocles paid a visit and reminded them that man it feels good to vengeance kill some Persians. Otherwise they'd have sat out the war listening to Nu-Metal.

It's 300 brought to you by some guy who is totally convinced that he for sure gets how to do that slow mo thingy that Snyder does. Unfortunately he doesn't, unless Snyder actually does completely random slo mo and I'm only remembering it having a stylistic point. Nor does he know how to either build up or end a scene. And the end is just dumb, though honestly I can't tell how much of the blame lies at his inept feet and how much goes to that ridiculous writing. Pro tip: A vast fleet of reinforcements come to save the 5 remaining Athenian ships in their hopeless fight against the Persian Armada only works when they actually save the day when all hope seems lost. After Themistocles rides his horse around the Persian ships and has beaten the final boss is not only anticlimactic but stupid. Guess you gotta cram them Spartans in there for at least 30 seconds. Also some other Greek City State with white sails, Whothefuckcaresinthia.

Also thank god for that Xerxes back story that is pretty drat pointless. Sure was curious how he became a god king of EVIL!!! Spoiler: It was evil magics.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Piedmon Sama posted:

I'm sure the actual Athenian politician Themistocles would be so honored to know we remember him as a naked barbarian who does Eva Green doggy style :cripes:

To be fair, we remember the several positions of his gently caress fight(aggressive negotiation?) with the Persian Admiral, Eva Green. Also his hilarious following scene where he tries to tell his boys, without directly saying so.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Tumble posted:

Horses can swim(?).

Virtually all mammals can swim. Plus that was a free horse of Athens, and he'd be damned if he failed to keep his horse brothers free from the tyranny of Persian saddles.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Xenomrph posted:

I've got a free ticket to this since I got the bluray of the first movie, is it worth seeing in the theatre for free?

Absolutely.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

thehacker0 posted:

Is this movie worth the time and potential to ruin my love of the first movie? I wont have to pay for it, so the only investments are time and emotional connection to 300

How could this movie possibly ruin a different movie for you? It's a couple hours of below average 300 style action with a side of Eva Green being pretty great. It shits on the Spartans and gives a pointless back story to Xerxes while shirtless men fight in cloaks and leather briefs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

CopywrightMMXI posted:

Yeah, in retrospect the Arab guys with the exploding backpacks who boarded the Athenian ships with the intent to sink it were not supposed to be suicide bombers at all.

If you're going to do dumb political allegory via asspulling, this is quite clearly about the Oil Crisis of the 70s. The West uses it's economic and naval power to support regional enemies of Mesopotamian powers, Ionia standing in for Israel. In response an organized conglomeration of nations, the Achaemenid Empire standing in for OPEC, uses their oil as a weapon against the west. The guys with the backpacks represent the growing consumption of oil by the western nations while Themistocles identification of them and order to redirect attacks at them is representative of policies and practices implemented to reduce dependency on foreign oil.

• Locked thread