Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
betalarmannen
Jan 13, 2007

Pillbug
First one looks correct - I guess the problem lies in saving the blocks as polygons and then transforming those polygons. Any system is going to warp them, and it will look wrong. I'd save the blocks as just two endpoints through all the transformations, and add thickness later.

Edit for new page, I'm talking about this:

betalarmannen fucked around with this message at 10:02 on Dec 24, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jewel
May 2, 2009

betalarmannen posted:

First one looks correct - I guess the problem lies in saving the blocks as polygons and then transforming those polygons. Any system is going to warp them, and it will look wrong. I'd save the blocks as just two endpoints through all the transformations, and add thickness later.

It's not the sleepers that's the deformation, I know they'll always deform and it's not realistic, I'm talking about at the 45 degree angle the exposed end of the track is all squashed and short. Though that endpoint tracking + thickness idea is neat.

The Laplace Demon
Jul 23, 2009

"Oh dear! Oh dear! Heisenberg is a douche!"

Jewel posted:

It's not the sleepers that's the deformation, I know they'll always deform and it's not realistic, I'm talking about at the 45 degree angle the exposed end of the track is all squashed and short. Though that endpoint tracking + thickness idea is neat.

Translate the midpoint of the exposed end instead, and calculate the track positions off of that? Same basic idea as beta's recommendation for the sleepers.

You only have two points that are free: the centers of the tracks at either end. Everything else should be calculated from those. What are you generating those curves from?

EDIT: The variables I'd use are the center points of the track at either end and two vectors specifying incoming and outgoing directions, and then constrain the tracks to follow a circular arc.:

1. Calculate the radius and center of the circle from the two points and directions.
2. Add or subtract the separation of each line from the center arc.
3. Draw circle arcs of those radii with the same center and subtended angle as the center's arc.

A straight track segment has an infinite radius, so you'll need to special case it.

EDIT2: Like this.

The Laplace Demon fucked around with this message at 07:29 on Dec 27, 2014

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

betalarmannen posted:

Yeah this was what I was getting at - treat the midline for each sleeper as between two points, one on each track line, and let the function move the points. You end up with a rotated line and you just need to align the sleeper with that. I guess the slight complication is that tight turns with short spacing will end up trying to cram several sleepers into the inside turn, and you might get overlaps.

But yeah I wasn't sure if the whole thing was the output of a function, like... I guess I'm not very good at explaining this, but like the kind of things you can do with a graphic calculator. Drop in some equation and it traces out the shapes, y'know? If it's a more complex program where you can draw the sleepers separately then it could work out

^^^ That up there looks awesome though, and I love how the internet lets people do things like that to give examples. Hey here's some live animated code!

The Laplace Demon
Jul 23, 2009

"Oh dear! Oh dear! Heisenberg is a douche!"

baka kaba posted:

Yeah this was what I was getting at - treat the midline for each sleeper as between two points, one on each track line, and let the function move the points. You end up with a rotated line and you just need to align the sleeper with that. I guess the slight complication is that tight turns with short spacing will end up trying to cram several sleepers into the inside turn, and you might get overlaps.

But yeah I wasn't sure if the whole thing was the output of a function, like... I guess I'm not very good at explaining this, but like the kind of things you can do with a graphic calculator. Drop in some equation and it traces out the shapes, y'know? If it's a more complex program where you can draw the sleepers separately then it could work out

^^^ That up there looks awesome though, and I love how the internet lets people do things like that to give examples. Hey here's some live animated code!

Thanks! Here it is with sleepers added the way you were describing.

The Laplace Demon fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Dec 27, 2014

LP0 ON FIRE
Jan 25, 2006

beep boop

The Laplace Demon posted:

Exactly! The boards on the track don't need to be skewed or scaled in any way, just translate their position.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

The Laplace Demon posted:

:monocle:

This makes me want to learn javascript. You monster!

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

I broke spawning. (Yes that number in the corner is the number of mobs)

aunt jenkins
Jan 12, 2001

It's... it's beautiful :allears:

LP0 ON FIRE
Jan 25, 2006

beep boop

Shoehead posted:

This game is finished.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Shoehead posted:

Make heads dying also kill other heads in contact/near them.

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

I've waited 20 years for a Samurai Zombie Nation sequel

LP0 ON FIRE
Jan 25, 2006

beep boop
My 2D vector water test gone horribly wrong:

A point is chosen as if something struck the water at a certain speed. The waves propagate, but feedback on themselves at greater and greater magnitudes.

wayfinder
Jul 7, 2003
I should clear my screenspace emissive map better :3

It's like the ghosts are giving me the finger!

LP0 ON FIRE
Jan 25, 2006

beep boop

wayfinder posted:

I should clear my screenspace emissive map better :3

It's like the ghosts are giving me the finger!

It's weird. It's like a rectangular area clears out what's drawn earlier, but on the way down it keeps what was there the frame previously. What is actually going on?

Jewel
May 2, 2009

LP0 ON FIRE posted:

It's weird. It's like a rectangular area clears out what's drawn earlier, but on the way down it keeps what was there the frame previously. What is actually going on?

I'm guessing it clears where you currently are not where you last were which means on the way down it leaves a trail.

LP0 ON FIRE
Jan 25, 2006

beep boop

Jewel posted:

I'm guessing it clears where you currently are not where you last were which means on the way down it leaves a trail.

Oh, duh. It was making me think it was tied to jumping or not.

wayfinder
Jul 7, 2003
I transformed the canvas I was drawing on to accommodate the scale/skew of the object I was drawing, and didn't reset that transform before clearing it for the next frame.

(In addition, I failed to allow for my sprite's pivot point so it was drawn half a body height too far up)

retro sexual
Mar 14, 2005

First time running the game with all the art setup for 1920x1080. It 'works' at least. But I still need to apply the scaling to all positional and more importantly sprite sizing code :P

Tavistock
Oct 30, 2010

This was so much generated text that my computer started to shutter, which is incredible in the tyol 2015

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Looks like my attempts at creating art with a typewriter in elementary school.

LP0 ON FIRE
Jan 25, 2006

beep boop
I know it's probably shameful to post gifs that were taken from videos of my screen, but I'm lazy I guess and it's running on an iPad:

I got the waves and propagation right, but when attempting to fill it instead of using lines, it looked really glitchy and found that I couldn't create concave fills, so I had to break it down into smaller convex polygons. Before using fills, it was best to see what it was doing using lines. As you can see, something was screwy.

I've since fixed it for the most part. :)

NorthByNorthwest
Oct 9, 2012
Vertex Skinning is easy you guys, you just --

Pi Mu Rho
Apr 25, 2007

College Slice
Homing missiles don't work that way.

http://i.imgur.com/6EcEqcA.gifv

LP0 ON FIRE
Jan 25, 2006

beep boop

Pi Mu Rho posted:

Homing missiles don't work that way.

http://i.imgur.com/6EcEqcA.gifv

I really like those bright wall graphics in the beginning. I have no idea what the gameplay is like in this, but looks cool. :)

Do you have timers on those missiles so they can finally blow themselves up if they don't hit anything? Because you probably should.

Oww My Eye
Jun 22, 2006
Got me a movie

NorthByNorthwest posted:

Vertex Skinning is easy you guys, you just --

This is the most beautiful thing I have ever laid eyes on.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.
Point the gun at the mouse!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DnKlSABJmDk

LP0 ON FIRE
Jan 25, 2006

beep boop

I was going to guess you're passing the relative angle in degrees, when it should be radians, but it keeps on spinning when your mouse is still!

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.
I had also never heard of atan2 before. Definitely a compound fuckup in that video.

Pi Mu Rho
Apr 25, 2007

College Slice

LP0 ON FIRE posted:

I really like those bright wall graphics in the beginning. I have no idea what the gameplay is like in this, but looks cool. :)

Do you have timers on those missiles so they can finally blow themselves up if they don't hit anything? Because you probably should.

Thanks!
The 'wall' is a small representative section of a very big spaceship, made up of individual components with behaviours that affect the components around them.

And yes, I added timers (and proximity detonation) and the missiles now work gloriously.

a slime
Apr 11, 2005

LP0 ON FIRE posted:

My 2D vector water test gone horribly wrong:

A point is chosen as if something struck the water at a certain speed. The waves propagate, but feedback on themselves at greater and greater magnitudes.

This is awesome.

LP0 ON FIRE
Jan 25, 2006

beep boop
Man, that water thing has come a long way. I finally nailed it down and looks pretty good, and there's a ton of options you can play around with. However, I don't have a lightning bolt connector on my iPad 2, so I'll have to capture it with an HDMI connector or something. I'm in a video suite, so they'll figure it out. :)

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!
Nap Ghost
One of the new features coming soon to VLC for WinRT is a new music player view. It looks pretty nice so far:

The background is replaced with the artist image, and it stays there throughout the UI. Only it does not go away if you switch to a video...

I love the idea of Frank Black just staring at me when watching old Lowtax videos. :v:.

Moon Wizard
Dec 29, 2011

I wrote a simple .obj loader and I mixed up the normals and the texture coordinates (it's supposed to be a cube)

TZer0
Jun 22, 2013

DaVideo posted:

I wrote a simple .obj loader and I mixed up the normals and the texture coordinates (it's supposed to be a cube)

Are you rendering it with correct culling and indice order? Remember that if you render it with back culling on and indices in clockwise order then it will go bad.

Also, am I seeing Z-buffer issues?

Edit:
This is OpenGL, right?

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Birds do not want you to know any more than you already do.

DaVideo posted:

A Cubist cube! Brilliant.

Moon Wizard
Dec 29, 2011

TZer0 posted:

Are you rendering it with correct culling and indice order? Remember that if you render it with back culling on and indices in clockwise order then it will go bad.

Also, am I seeing Z-buffer issues?

Edit:
This is OpenGL, right?

It is OpenGL, though I should've explained that I got it fixed. It was actually a two part problem, the first being that I mixed up the normal and texture coordinate indices, and the second was that I was loading the texture upside down, so the texture coordinates were sampling from an alpha section. I was just outputting the texture RGBA directly, so that's why it has all those weird gaps.

It's a little hard to make sense of it as an image so I made a gif of it:

It looks like this with lighting now:

Moon Wizard fucked around with this message at 12:45 on Mar 11, 2015

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice

DaVideo posted:

Congrats on your glitchy indie game breakout hit! Seriously, you should keep that loader on the side for something interesting one day.

blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

Alright, got Blender export working, model conversion and import works as intended, asset pipeline works, let's throw this bad boy in:

Today is going to be a long day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

blastron posted:

Alright, got Blender export working, model conversion and import works as intended, asset pipeline works, let's throw this bad boy in:

Today is going to be a long day.

At a guess, the normals on all of your faces are backwards, so you're actually seeing through the model to the opposite face.

• Locked thread