Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
munce
Oct 23, 2010

Xerophyte posted:

"I'll just make this tiny, tiny change to the environment sampling, what could go wrong?"

Cool matrix shader

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sauer
Sep 13, 2005

Socialize Everything!
If you can get that to render into another texture, add some blur, and render it atop the finished image it would look hipster, cyber distopia as gently caress.

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
I both own and operate a pirate ship.

tehsid
Dec 24, 2007

Nobility is sadly overrated.

I see that breeding a horse with MissingNo worked as intended.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.
That is some Japan World Cup 3 poo poo right there.

Xerophyte
Mar 17, 2008

This space intentionally left blank

Sauer posted:

If you can get that to render into another texture, add some blur, and render it atop the finished image it would look hipster, cyber distopia as gently caress.

It's not really a good cyber dystopia room.

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
I both own and operate a pirate ship.
We updated the horse mesh but the server or CDN or whatever had cached a JS file that wasn't compatible. Web devvin'

LP0 ON FIRE
Jan 25, 2006

beep boop

Looks to be some Katamari Damacy style bullfighting game.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
Yo I think my plasma ball bounce code is kinda busted https://vine.co/v/eHZMrIQwpLi

clockwork automaton
May 2, 2007

You've probably never heard of them.

Fun Shoe
Tried to add a ragdoll and clearly I messed up my skinning somewhere - I call 'em glitch bear (thus the weird texture)

DeathBySpoon
Dec 17, 2007

I got myself a paper clip!

That's... not quite how I intended buildings to come out.

Jewel
May 2, 2009

DeathBySpoon posted:

This is really cute and I love the style and want to play this a ton!!

Cryolite
Oct 2, 2006
sodium aluminum fluoride

clockwork automaton posted:

Tried to add a ragdoll and clearly I messed up my skinning somewhere - I call 'em glitch bear (thus the weird texture)

It's like it's falling through jello.

netcat
Apr 29, 2008

DeathBySpoon posted:

I tried to do something with that tileset myself some time ago and had a bunch of troubles getting the walls to look nice.

Bert of the Forest
Apr 27, 2013

Shucks folks, I'm speechless. Hawf Hawf Hawf!

Looks like I got my butt falling physics working PERFECTLY. No problems here!

xezton
Jan 31, 2005

Bert of the Forest posted:

Even emaN retcarahC seems to be impressed with your handiwork! :D

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

Bert of the Forest posted:

drop it like it's hot

Factor Mystic
Mar 20, 2006

Baby's First Post-Apocalyptic Fiction

Factor Mystic posted:

Color quantizer and color indexing function are out of sync

Here's another one that's too large to embed, not even sure what happened

http://gfycat.com/OffbeatPossibleHeterodontosaurus

Me again, same project, but this time instead of gifs I'm trying to encode webm's

I failed.

(warning, :catdrugs: )

http://gfycat.com/MetallicActiveElver

Serenade
Nov 5, 2011

"I should really learn to fucking read"

Factor Mystic posted:

Color quantizer and color indexing function are out of sync

Here's another one that's too large to embed, not even sure what happened

http://gfycat.com/OffbeatPossibleHeterodontosaurus

Factor Mystic posted:

Me again, same project, but this time instead of gifs I'm trying to encode webm's

I failed.

Diggin this new maximalist operating system.

Music Theory
Aug 7, 2013

Factor Mystic posted:

I failed.

The real glitch is the Zune logo in there.

Factor Mystic
Mar 20, 2006

Baby's First Post-Apocalyptic Fiction

Music Theory posted:

The real glitch is the Zune logo in there.

Using the Zune now playing screen as input frames for encoding is intentional, because the smooth animation & crossfading color washes present challenges for capturing & encoding correctly.

Stinky_Pete
Aug 16, 2015

Stinkier than your average bear
Lipstick Apathy
I'm porting some legacy code that will eventually be in airplane cockpits. It's probably the spaghettiest code I've ever encountered, and in its previous environment it was the only thing running on the processor, so there's a ton of cryptically-named files to remove (and #includes and function calls), including a lot of talking to flash memory and an fpga, and now there are a ton of configuration defaults that would be changed in a menu that I also had to remove, to track down and get airspace maps to appear. But at least I finally got it to display something... it actually looked better than this before I kept fixing it to show the map. I swear I have something that clears the screen buffer every frame.

Storgar
Oct 31, 2011

Stinky_Pete posted:

I'm porting some legacy code that will eventually be in airplane cockpits.

That's something I've always been curious about. What kind of validation standards do people have for airplanes? Do you need to do any rigorous regression or are we all flying around with software written by someone on a 72 hour soda binge?

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Storgar posted:

That's something I've always been curious about. What kind of validation standards do people have for airplanes? Do you need to do any rigorous regression or are we all flying around with software written by someone on a 72 hour soda binge?

it might be one of those things where the binaries were actually tested well, but the source files are full of spaghetti written by some mechanical engineer

Stinky_Pete
Aug 16, 2015

Lipstick Apathy

Storgar posted:

According to my superiors, a lot of our existing products were just badly written by people who are no longer here. I don't know any more than that. To be fair, it was like one of the first of these indicators that even had an LCD screen.

Nonetheless, we do have very rigorous testing that's mandated by the FAA, and we have to trace every test on every unit of code (I think the function level) to a requirement that we've defined and linked to more general FAA guidelines, along with industry standards. So we have dedicated test engineers and a few people whose whole job is to know all about the relevant FAA documents and keep track of how we're fulfilling them. We also flight test in our own airplane as part of the certification process, and every engineer involved has to be on the plane. It turns out that's a pretty good motivator to not cut corners.

We're also not allowed to use, for instance, dynamic memory allocation. Everything has to be completely deterministic.

Anyway, I made a ton of progress yesterday, but lost some time with this little lesson in the order of operations:
code:
lcd_bufbase = (uchar*) &lcd_bufptr[0];

E: I finally fixed it for good. It is a humbling fact that everything wrong with it was just me doing unit conversion wrong (from engineering units to scaled integers, and between struct and byte sizes of buffers), which was hard for me to see because of a maze of #defines

Stinky_Pete fucked around with this message at 22:20 on Aug 28, 2015

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Stinky_Pete posted:

Anyway, I made a ton of progress yesterday, but lost some time with this little lesson in the order of operations:
code:
lcd_bufbase = (uchar*) &lcd_bufptr[0];

For me it's gotten to the point where I have zero trust for my understanding of what the order of operations is in any given language, and so I always enforce it with lots of parentheses. Sure they may be redundant in some cases, but order of operations bugs can be hellish to trace down. If an extra two characters can save me an hour of debugging, man, that's so worth it.

Do you have simulated cockpits to do basic testing on?

Stinky_Pete
Aug 16, 2015

Lipstick Apathy

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Do you have simulated cockpits to do basic testing on?

No shake machines, if that's what you're asking, but we're using Xplane and I believe its SDK to substitute in our own autopilot/flight director (which I finished implementing from a savant-like mech eng's design, we're talking hundred of diagrams, a few months ago) to test it. We also have a portable setup with a throttle stick and all the buttons for pilot controls. The CEO's son has a pilot's license and has been working on that end.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Stinky_Pete posted:

No shake machines, if that's what you're asking, but we're using Xplane and I believe its SDK to substitute in our own autopilot/flight director (which I finished implementing from a savant-like mech eng's design, we're talking hundred of diagrams, a few months ago) to test it. We also have a portable setup with a throttle stick and all the buttons for pilot controls. The CEO's son has a pilot's license and has been working on that end.

I meant some kind of software-only (or minimal-hardware) setup that would give you a simulation of what the plane is doing so you can test your software against realistic inputs and outputs without actually having to go up in the air. And it sounds like you do, so cool!

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Stinky_Pete posted:

Nonetheless, we do have very rigorous testing that's mandated by the FAA, and we have to trace every test on every unit of code (I think the function level) to a requirement that we've defined and linked to more general FAA guidelines, along with industry standards. So we have dedicated test engineers and a few people whose whole job is to know all about the relevant FAA documents and keep track of how we're fulfilling them. We also flight test in our own airplane as part of the certification process, and every engineer involved has to be on the plane.

Good luck! :stare:

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

Stinky_Pete posted:

We also flight test in our own airplane as part of the certification process, and every engineer involved has to be on the plane. It turns out that's a pretty good motivator to not cut corners.

i've heard of pilot programming but this is ridiculous!!

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe

Not exactly what I was after.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I like how it becomes absolutely unrecognizable once you get to the third floor. It also looks like a Banjo-Kazooie level.

wayfinder
Jul 7, 2003
I'm getting shades of the cinema in Duke Nukem 3D's first level, and Super Mario 64's castle

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀
It's the castle in super mario 64 for sure.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Yeah, it's the entire upper section, including the "endless staircase."

seiken
Feb 7, 2005

hah ha ha
help my matrices have gone wrong
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W-O4vkcrCSU

DeathBySpoon
Dec 17, 2007

Well, no screenshot for this one, but I just hunted down one of the weirder bugs I've had in a while. I'm working on a roguelike. Totally randomly, the game would freeze on startup. It would get to drawing the HUD, so it wasn't hanging on map generation. For a while I thought the player wasn't getting added to the active entities for some reason, but the actual solution was way better. All of my game objects are just collections of attributes, like "flying" or "alive". This makes modifying stats really easy; I just add up all of the matching attributes for an object, its equipment, and statuses. A Ring of Strength might have "STR=3", the player has STR set to whatever their base stat is, and the Crippled status has "STR=-2". Well, this backfired on me. I use one of these attributes to determine turn speed. I had some Dash Boots with a negative turn speed. Well, every time they spawned, they would get the first turn and time would never advance because their turn took negative time. The boots were so fast time stood still in comparison. Whoops.

DeathBySpoon
Dec 17, 2007

Roguelike glitches are the best glitches.

SystemLogoff
Feb 19, 2011

End Session?

Wizards!! :argh:

Totally use this as a feature of a chaos magic floor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

My pathfinding could be going a little better.

Still really happy with my progress though! Been coding it in my spare time, and it's already the most ambitious project I've ever gotten this far. :unsmith:

EDIT: Already figured it out: the circle's grid (not world) co-ordinates are never being updated, so each path is being made assuming that it's still where it began.

EDIT EDIT: It looks like that was a problem, but there's still lots wrong with my code. :smith:

EDIT EDIT EDIT: I wasn't flushing the old pathfinding data. It seems to work perfectly now!

DStecks fucked around with this message at 16:04 on Sep 26, 2015

• Locked thread