Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Angryhead posted:

https://gfycat.com/WelltodoFelineBooby

Hey let me add back destructible walls to the game. What do you mean that anything that gets killed spawns a corpse & some loot & blood?

Makes sense, the "corpse" is the debris left behind and the loot is the tasty minerals that were contained the wall dwarf fortress style. The blood you should see your doctor about.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Joda
Apr 24, 2010

When I'm off, I just like to really let go and have fun, y'know?

Fun Shoe

Scaramouche posted:

Makes sense, the "corpse" is the debris left behind and the loot is the tasty minerals that were contained the wall dwarf fortress style. The blood you should see your doctor about.

It's the blood of Gaia you industrialist monsters

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

well that's not right

https://twitter.com/LuigiThirty/status/873990598264541184

(I wish I could capture the video some way other than my phone...)

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Luigi Thirty posted:

well that's not right

You've gotten this far, surely you can figure that part out. :unsmigghh:

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Luigi Thirty posted:

well that's not right

That's pretty cool. I should break out my old Macs and try building something on them.

I think I still have the LaMothe software rendering book somewhere around here, maybe a dithered raytracer instead?

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

I did eventually get it working :toot:

All you need is a copy of CodeWarrior. I'm pretty sure it runs on any PPC Mac.

Jo
Jan 24, 2005

:allears:
Soiled Meat
I like libGDX. I really do, but the fact that the default behavior of their Vector and Matrix library is _IN PLACE MODIFICATION_ drives me loving insane.

bez = foo.scl(0.1) means both bez AND foo are now 0.1*foo. :cripes: :suicide:

LP0 ON FIRE
Jan 25, 2006

beep boop

Jo posted:

I like libGDX. I really do, but the fact that the default behavior of their Vector and Matrix library is _IN PLACE MODIFICATION_ drives me loving insane.

bez = foo.scl(0.1) means both bez AND foo are now 0.1*foo. :cripes: :suicide:

That's the worst when you're working on something for a long time, and you don't know it's affecting something else the entire time just because of your viewing angle when you test it.

Valtis
Sep 21, 2009
I resurrected my NES emulator project and started implementing the audio unit. The first attempt at playing sound was less than successful

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3q3o_x0ro04

ManicJason
Oct 27, 2003

He doesn't really stop the puck, but he scares the hell out of the other team.
I don't know. That sounds like sound to me.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.
That sounds awesome.

Wrong, but awesome.

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

improve the lives of everyone

Valtis posted:

I resurrected my NES emulator project and started implementing the audio unit. The first attempt at playing sound was less than successful

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3q3o_x0ro04

Do you know the cause yet? It sounds like the sound is getting reversed in little chunks at a time but maybe that's just my brain trying to make sense of it.

Valtis
Sep 21, 2009

Corla Plankun posted:

Do you know the cause yet? It sounds like the sound is getting reversed in little chunks at a time but maybe that's just my brain trying to make sense of it.

It was a combination of various bugs and issues; incorrect sampling rate, small audio buffer size and some bugs in the pulse channel implementation. The CPU timing code was broken as well, which I hadn't noticed before. The system was running ~5% slower than it was supposed to, which caused further issues with audio timing.

SystemLogoff
Feb 19, 2011

End Session?

I really hope you put up a few other samples of broken songs.

There's something neat about the distortion.

Valtis
Sep 21, 2009

SystemLogoff posted:

I really hope you put up a few other samples of broken songs.

There's something neat about the distortion.

Unfortunately I already fixed the bugs and I tend to ignore all the commit best practices when I work with my personal projects, so the broken version no longer exists.

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

I think this is more of a GPU featurette

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
Found this right after submitted to MAGFest.

https://twitter.com/GhostCrabGames/status/917470473226682368

Last Visible Dog
Jul 30, 2015

Messing with a timing value for the falling boulder trap..

I'm not touching you!

Tann
Apr 1, 2009

Ahhh is that a tiny bird knight???

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

Wheeee, Philips rang the closing bell today and none of the floor terminals could get the time when their stock opened and ended up showing a blank space on the screen instead. Not terribly exciting but :bang:

Literally the only stock out of 3,000 they could find that was broken was the one ringing the bell :lol:

I literally debug my code using broadcast TV :stare:

MrMoo fucked around with this message at 22:26 on Nov 2, 2017

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Was there something special about philips that caused it?

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

Just finished a round of debugging with support in California (Interactive Data Corp) and they found a handful of East coast servers that are sending the wrong data but they have to escalate up through their development to find more. Hopefully they will tell me what's wrong but usually they are so embarrassed they keep quiet and I have to find out internally via high level NYSE staff.

It's been randomly on and off for the last month so :shrug:

I just love that this is like a 20 year old product and I'm the first person to keep on hitting different issues like this. Also awesome having to write all your own tools because they don't ship any. The support staff were lucky they just wrote some new code this week and needed that today to confirm the issue.

MrMoo fucked around with this message at 23:31 on Nov 2, 2017

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

Apparently when there is data loss inside their data distribution network the resync message only contain a subset of the fields in each record and someone decided that opening timestamp was not important and shouldn't be there :bravo:

Cory Parsnipson
Nov 15, 2015
Wow this is really cool. Your code is literally on national tv.

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

I'm enjoying the challenge, but it is very much :shrek:

10 monitors connected to a single server. Cannot be separate instances or windows because Chrome will reduce the clock priority of itself in the background.

LP0 ON FIRE
Jan 25, 2006

beep boop
So it’s running 10 screens in a single Chrome instance on one window? If it’s not too complicated to explain, how does it split off 10 of those from one window to different monitors? I’m guessing it’s a program to specify each bounds of a screen on the window.

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

In Linux it's just basic XRandR configuration, in Windows you would just setup the 10 monitors arrange in the 2×5 configuration like the screenshot above.

The webpage is just designed to split things up to match the monitor boundaries. Bezel correction is all done in the video hardware.
HTML code:
<style>
	body {
		padding: 0; margin: 0;
	}
	fid-display {
		background-color: #565666;
		width: 1366px;
		height: 768px;
		border: none;
		float: left;
	}
</style>
<body>
	<fid-display id="5L"></fid-display><fid-display id="5M"></fid-display>
	<fid-display id="5N"></fid-display><fid-display id="5O"></fid-display>
	<fid-display id="5P"></fid-display><fid-display id="5Q"></fid-display>
	<fid-display id="5R"></fid-display><fid-display id="5S"></fid-display>
	<fid-display id="5T"></fid-display><fid-display id="5U"></fid-display>
</body>

Bruegels Fuckbooks
Sep 14, 2004

Now, listen - I know the two of you are very different from each other in a lot of ways, but you have to understand that as far as Grandpa's concerned, you're both pieces of shit! Yeah. I can prove it mathematically.

MrMoo posted:

In Linux it's just basic XRandR configuration, in Windows you would just setup the 10 monitors arrange in the 2×5 configuration like the screenshot above.

The webpage is just designed to split things up to match the monitor boundaries. Bezel correction is all done in the video hardware.
HTML code:
<style>
	body {
	}
	fid-display {
		background-color: #565666;
		width: 1366px;
		height: 768px;
		border: none;
		float: left;
	}
</style>
<body>
	<fid-display id="5L"></fid-display><fid-display id="5M"></fid-display>
	<fid-display id="5N"></fid-display><fid-display id="5O"></fid-display>
	<fid-display id="5P"></fid-display><fid-display id="5Q"></fid-display>
	<fid-display id="5R"></fid-display><fid-display id="5S"></fid-display>
	<fid-display id="5T"></fid-display><fid-display id="5U"></fid-display>
</body>

So what's the benefit of using HTML/JS to do this? Once you get into stuff like dealing with multiple monitors, I would think it would be easier to just write a native app...

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
they bought that 64GB RAM box, gotta prove they paid good money for it!

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

I think they're only 8GB boxes, I have the usage under 200MB now though. There are two per post, originally one per display. There is not a lot of room for so much hardware on the floor, they're packed full of all the traders gear. Behind each monitor is a half-rack of servers. Every monitor is also connected to two different systems so that they can switch over at any time and play video and whatever else, typically for events after hours.

An old pic but you can see some junk behind.

It's more about avoiding vendor lock-in. The Reuters implementation was originally scoped to support MSIE 6, Firefox, and Chrome. The news tickers went Chrome only and was close to being a native app although the timeline would be horrendous. To note I replaced the entire Reuters system of however many servers (originally 200+), managed by a team, from scratch with no requirements or specifications in 3 months, using only 2 servers. ICE is a huge company, 3 months is their typical time for IT just to roll out a piece of software, add on additional time for hardware and networking.

It's a smart business choice, if a little over progressive. The previous version is 6 years old already. The Thomson Reuters desktop app today is literally a Chrome Embedded Framework×Trident container with support for Java & .net. Bloomberg is a lot behind in comparison.

The plan however is to integrate all this stuff into their corporate network and graphics department so they can start showing it all over the company. They have far too much screen scraping and rebroadcasting today.

MrMoo fucked around with this message at 04:50 on Nov 5, 2017

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
That's actually pretty neat. Is there a thread on here for cool project stories?

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

MrMoo posted:

Reuters system of however many servers (originally 200+)
Holy poo poo lol

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

flatluigi posted:

That's actually pretty neat. Is there a thread on here for cool project stories?

There's the project.log sub-forum, I think there was a thread but most people keep quiet because of their NDAs.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Woo! I got perspective projection working! Time to celebrate by rotating my model around the Y axis.

oh dear

Grace Baiting
Jul 20, 2012

Audi famam illius;
Cucurrit quaeque
Tetigit destruens.

Luigi Thirty posted:

Woo! I got perspective projection working! Time to celebrate by rotating my model around the Y axis.

oh dear

Looks like you accidentally created a spin-1/2 cube.

That's fine though, fermions happen all the time, and to everyone!

Veni Vidi Ameche!
Nov 2, 2017

by Fluffdaddy

Luigi Thirty posted:

oh dear

Until it glitches at the end, it's pretty much what I always imagined Anne saw when Valentine Michael Smith disappeared stuff.

netcat
Apr 29, 2008
I'm making an "emulator" for a made up retro computer and I'm trying to get tinybasic working with varied results

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

If the cube slides off the right side of the screen, the polygons are clipped properly. If it slides off the left side, well...

https://twitter.com/LuigiThirty/status/938266196151062528

KRILLIN IN THE NAME
Mar 25, 2006

:ssj:goku i won't do what u tell me:ssj:

netcat posted:

I'm making an "emulator" for a made up retro computer and I'm trying to get tinybasic working with varied results

Is this clickteam fusion 2.5? I love that shader

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

netcat
Apr 29, 2008

KRILLIN IN THE NAME posted:

Is this clickteam fusion 2.5? I love that shader

Nah I'm making this in C++. I found the shader here, I think it's the "CRT-Lottes" one

• Locked thread