Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

DeathBySpoon posted:

I am bad at 3D.

I want to play an RPG that's like this everywhere.

Hey there bad at 3D buddy. :buddy:

I was generating geometry for a generated dungeon. The rooms worked fine but the corridors had no walls. I thought maybe they were appearing correctly but like way off to the side or something, so I made the corridors have really, really tall walls. I flew out of the level and saw a gigantic fuckoff column extending out of one of the rooms.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

I randomly got the urge to write a raycaster.

I was going to post this in the "screenshots of what you're working on thread," or maybe the game dev thread, but then I turned eastward.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Cumslut1895 posted:

That's XNA, right?

Correct. I have trouble letting go. :saddowns:

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

xzzy posted:

It wouldn't be a microsoft product if they didn't give up on it completely just when people started to like it.

The really Microsoft part is how it got knocked around by other projects. To start with, it was a multi-platform framework supporting PC, xbox 360, and Zune (lol). When Windows Phone 7 came out it basically got hijacked as a tool for growing that ecosystem, with all the tutorials and web pages being updated to the point where I wouldn't fault a newcomer for not realizing it wasn't JUST a WinPhone 7 thing. The second Metro was announced I knew XNA was doomed.

Remember that XKCD with the joke MS org chart, where the nodes of the graph are all pointing tiny pistols at eachother?

Cumslut1895 posted:

it seems so dumb to me that they put all the work in to develop it, but never bothered to upgrade it for DX 10+

There is, however, an update that lets it work with Visual Studio 2013. Just FYI.

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

Where did you get started to learn about raycasters? I had found a tutorial at one point to make a really simple one, but it was written in some really bad engrish and I had trouble following the math as a result.

I started with Permadi's tutorial. It kinda feels like everyone else did too, because most tutorials, examples, etc share a lot of its design decisions and code structure.

There are various less 90s examples lying around the internet, with varying levels of cryptic/terrible code. I found this HTML5/javascript example pretty helpful.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

That was absolutely hysterical. It's like a Naked Gun movie set in the Mega Man X universe.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Spent a goodly chunk of my weeklong staycation working on that dumb raycaster.

Some things work.

Some things dont.

That gray monolith extending infinitely into a pocket dimension is supposed to be a door. The logic for colliding with, opening, and closing doors all works. Just not the rendering. :saddowns:

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

netcat posted:

Trying to add doors to my old 3d dungeon crawler raycaster thing, it looks like I've opened a portal to another dimension instead

Somewhere in this thread are screenshots of MY lovely raycaster's door bugs. gently caress doors.

Edit: page 6. Seriously, gently caress doors. I don't know why they're so much harder for me than the other parts.

Blue Footed Booby fucked around with this message at 16:44 on Nov 10, 2015

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Internet Janitor posted:

You should keep those as a poisoned/confused/blinded status effect.

Or the background when a menu is up. Or "U R DED" vision. Or the background on the main menu. The effect is too cool to not preserve.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Some walls are invisible when viewed through windows.

:shrug:

Edit: man, it's clearly time to just stop and go to bed. It took me a half hour to realize I'd broken my depth sorting code.

Blue Footed Booby fucked around with this message at 04:54 on Oct 30, 2016

• Locked thread