Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

Ugh, JavaScript, MIN_VALUE has different meaning to C land's INT_MIN

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

I think this is more of a GPU featurette

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

Wheeee, Philips rang the closing bell today and none of the floor terminals could get the time when their stock opened and ended up showing a blank space on the screen instead. Not terribly exciting but :bang:

Literally the only stock out of 3,000 they could find that was broken was the one ringing the bell :lol:

I literally debug my code using broadcast TV :stare:

MrMoo fucked around with this message at 22:26 on Nov 2, 2017

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

Just finished a round of debugging with support in California (Interactive Data Corp) and they found a handful of East coast servers that are sending the wrong data but they have to escalate up through their development to find more. Hopefully they will tell me what's wrong but usually they are so embarrassed they keep quiet and I have to find out internally via high level NYSE staff.

It's been randomly on and off for the last month so :shrug:

I just love that this is like a 20 year old product and I'm the first person to keep on hitting different issues like this. Also awesome having to write all your own tools because they don't ship any. The support staff were lucky they just wrote some new code this week and needed that today to confirm the issue.

MrMoo fucked around with this message at 23:31 on Nov 2, 2017

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

Apparently when there is data loss inside their data distribution network the resync message only contain a subset of the fields in each record and someone decided that opening timestamp was not important and shouldn't be there :bravo:

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

I'm enjoying the challenge, but it is very much :shrek:

10 monitors connected to a single server. Cannot be separate instances or windows because Chrome will reduce the clock priority of itself in the background.

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

In Linux it's just basic XRandR configuration, in Windows you would just setup the 10 monitors arrange in the 2×5 configuration like the screenshot above.

The webpage is just designed to split things up to match the monitor boundaries. Bezel correction is all done in the video hardware.
HTML code:
<style>
	body {
		padding: 0; margin: 0;
	}
	fid-display {
		background-color: #565666;
		width: 1366px;
		height: 768px;
		padding: 0; margin: 0;
		border: none;
		float: left;
	}
</style>
<body>
	<fid-display id="5L"></fid-display><fid-display id="5M"></fid-display>
	<fid-display id="5N"></fid-display><fid-display id="5O"></fid-display>
	<fid-display id="5P"></fid-display><fid-display id="5Q"></fid-display>
	<fid-display id="5R"></fid-display><fid-display id="5S"></fid-display>
	<fid-display id="5T"></fid-display><fid-display id="5U"></fid-display>
</body>

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

I think they're only 8GB boxes, I have the usage under 200MB now though. There are two per post, originally one per display. There is not a lot of room for so much hardware on the floor, they're packed full of all the traders gear. Behind each monitor is a half-rack of servers. Every monitor is also connected to two different systems so that they can switch over at any time and play video and whatever else, typically for events after hours.

An old pic but you can see some junk behind.

It's more about avoiding vendor lock-in. The Reuters implementation was originally scoped to support MSIE 6, Firefox, and Chrome. The news tickers went Chrome only and was close to being a native app although the timeline would be horrendous. To note I replaced the entire Reuters system of however many servers (originally 200+), managed by a team, from scratch with no requirements or specifications in 3 months, using only 2 servers. ICE is a huge company, 3 months is their typical time for IT just to roll out a piece of software, add on additional time for hardware and networking.

It's a smart business choice, if a little over progressive. The previous version is 6 years old already. The Thomson Reuters desktop app today is literally a Chrome Embedded Framework×Trident container with support for Java & .net. Bloomberg is a lot behind in comparison.

The plan however is to integrate all this stuff into their corporate network and graphics department so they can start showing it all over the company. They have far too much screen scraping and rebroadcasting today.

MrMoo fucked around with this message at 04:50 on Nov 5, 2017

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

flatluigi posted:

That's actually pretty neat. Is there a thread on here for cool project stories?

There's the project.log sub-forum, I think there was a thread but most people keep quiet because of their NDAs.

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

Ugh, taunting me, currently suffering from really annoying data features:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

They moved my dev and the NYSE qa account to some dedicated servers because they kept on breaking poo poo in normal production, however yesterday they lost real time data but kept everything else in the feed on these servers. They're still working out what went wrong and in the meantime I have nothing. It's hard to believe that this data company, IDC, earns many times more than NYSE the exchange in profits: both owned by ICE.

• Locked thread