Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

LP0 ON FIRE posted:

This happened in a game I've been developing, and the seaweed starting behaving like an enemy. It was freaky.

I wish I had thought to record video of it at the time, but years ago I had a bit of code that loaded the editor logic inside the regular game (due to not cleaning up the regular game properly when switching to the editor), so you were able to control the edit cursor even though the game was running at the time. IIRC there was also a wild pointer or two that made it possible.

I remember being totally impressed that it managed to line the heap up just right that it worked, because there were a lot of differences in the 'state' region of memory between the two modes. It wasn't quite perfect since it would aggressively crash when enemies noticed and tried to attack the edit cursor.

Seat Safety Switch fucked around with this message at 05:14 on Dec 4, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Luigi Thirty posted:

well that's not right

https://twitter.com/LuigiThirty/status/873990598264541184

(I wish I could capture the video some way other than my phone...)

That's pretty cool. I should break out my old Macs and try building something on them.

I think I still have the LaMothe software rendering book somewhere around here, maybe a dithered raytracer instead?

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
I'm working on a thing to pull BMAPs out of HyperCard stacks. Obviously, my technique could use some work.

Here's a GIF of all the BMAPs from Inigo Gets Out:

• Locked thread