Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Valtis
Sep 21, 2009

Eh, close enough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Valtis
Sep 21, 2009

Internet Janitor posted:

I'd like to see a gif of you playing it that way.

I haven't implemented sprite handling or controllers yet so I can't actually play the game. The graphics are pretty broken right now though.

Valtis
Sep 21, 2009
I resurrected my NES emulator project and started implementing the audio unit. The first attempt at playing sound was less than successful

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3q3o_x0ro04

Valtis
Sep 21, 2009

Corla Plankun posted:

Do you know the cause yet? It sounds like the sound is getting reversed in little chunks at a time but maybe that's just my brain trying to make sense of it.

It was a combination of various bugs and issues; incorrect sampling rate, small audio buffer size and some bugs in the pulse channel implementation. The CPU timing code was broken as well, which I hadn't noticed before. The system was running ~5% slower than it was supposed to, which caused further issues with audio timing.

Valtis
Sep 21, 2009

SystemLogoff posted:

I really hope you put up a few other samples of broken songs.

There's something neat about the distortion.

Unfortunately I already fixed the bugs and I tend to ignore all the commit best practices when I work with my personal projects, so the broken version no longer exists.

• Locked thread