Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Klades
Sep 8, 2011

Wheany posted:

So has anyone ever made up a games console, then made an emulator for it and made games based on the hardware limitations of the made up console?

Like the imaginary console would have some set specs that you cannot go over (like having 4 kB of RAM, or being able to only display 8 sprites)

Because I was just thinking how restrictions like those are partially the reason why programmers had to do tricks that then later turned into glitches that for example enable sequence breaking.

I feel like you're overestimating how many glitches result from intentional programmer shortcuts as opposed to unintentional programmer mistakes and unintended consequences of intentional design decisions.
There's probably a lot less "let's stick this guy on this roof, nobody will find him there" and a lot more "oops, I forgot to re-enable the player hitbox if it's disabled while they open a key item chest" and "we designed it so the player is knocked away if they take damage. It never came up in testing, but it turns out they can skip this entire level by getting hit while jumping right here".
I mean, it's not like glitches are exclusive, or even more common, in more resource-limited games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Klades
Sep 8, 2011

Ultimate result (making a short animation as proof that I can use blender tools for a class): https://puu.sh/vCNvc/9a5f393c69.webm
Intermediate result: https://puu.sh/vCLWL/19e0fed2ac.webm

• Locked thread