Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
It’s a bit out of left field but you might enjoy Saint Young Men. It’s about Jesus and Buddha being unemployed losers in Tokyo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Danknificent
Nov 20, 2015

Jinkies! Looks like we've got a mystery on our hands.

Lucifunk posted:

I'm starting a pull box for the first time in years. I don't really need any Big 2 unless it's just that I want to display the cover. I'm blanking on what to put on it. I have subs to both online services

I really want to support this store. It has a mirror universe Simpson's comic book guy who works there and was one of the nicest comic store workers I've ever met. He heard my wife wasn't big into comics so he found her a stack of 99 cent Star Trek novels, and a working Picard Enterprise toy from the 90s. Also minority owned which I try to support, especially in this space.

Too much of my collection is in storage after a move to dig through. So far I've got Love Everlasting, and the Sisko focused Star Trek series, but most of the books I like these days are short runs. I also haven't been in any comic shops very much at all, and that's just been since January this year. Other recent indies I really liked were Deep Cuts, Do A Powerbomb, and 8 Billion Genies.

Someone mentioned some Cyberpunk series and a Blade Runner book. I like grounded scifi, scifi like The Expanse, The Peripheral, shows like that. More serious than something fun like Guardians of the Galaxy. Love Everlasting is my favorite book currently, so I also like relationships and romance books. They don't have to be straight hetero or anything either, I'm fine with anything good. Even wild rear end romcoms like Sunstone and Mr and Mrs X. I have particular tastes that I'd like, but open to most anything. Not big on t&a stuff, it just always seems corny and desperate.

That said, I keep hearing about Gun Honey and Brubaker endorses it as good pulp noir (another fave style of mine and a fave writer) but it may just be guns and boobs. I also like revenge stories. I love the Parker adaptions and Criminal. Ninjas are always rad, I was an early 80s kid.

Also not a huge manga fan, but not opposed to something that fits the bill. I'm almost 50 and it generally just seems to be aimed at younger readers and I often don't enjoy the art styles. I'm almost 50 and it just doesn't appeal to me around 95% of the time. An example I like in an anime form is Way of the Househusband.

That's a vague idea of what I'd like to jump into, but I will look into any other suggestions outside of my main interests also. I'll try anything once.

I also justify some of my irresponsible purchases by saying that I want to support my local store. It's valid!

The Blade Runner book is in the final (allegedly) arc of its run. The previous runs were 12 issues, so there are 7 left in 2039. I think it's pretty good quality, personally. It kind of finds its feet in 2019, 2029 is solid, and 2039 has been more of the same.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
i love my grizzled, lesbian, replicant loving, fake-blade runner

Lucifunk
Nov 11, 2005

Danknificent posted:

I also justify some of my irresponsible purchases by saying that I want to support my local store. It's valid!

The Blade Runner book is in the final (allegedly) arc of its run. The previous runs were 12 issues, so there are 7 left in 2039. I think it's pretty good quality, personally. It kind of finds its feet in 2019, 2029 is solid, and 2039 has been more of the same.

Thanks for the info, that sounds perfect.

thetoughestbean posted:

It’s a bit out of left field but you might enjoy Saint Young Men. It’s about Jesus and Buddha being unemployed losers in Tokyo

That sounds rad I'll look into it too. Having been one, I also like dirtbag stories.

Scrap Dragon
Oct 6, 2013

SECRET TECHNIQUE:
DARK SHADOW
BLACK FALLEN ANGEL!

What's worth reading if I'm interested in The Runaways? I've read up through to the beginning of the Whedon run but I've heard it sucks.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
I don't think I've read any Runaways that I didn't like? The Whedon stuff isn't bad, just that it took a long time to come out (14 months for 6 issues) and wasn't really worth the wait. It's alright in a single sitting. Sorry, I don't remember details of a lot of the stuff after that, but remember finding it all pretty good. Just, not up to the level of the original BKV run. I'd say it's worth a read if you're doing it on Marvel Unlimited or borrowing the books, might not be worth hunting down old TPBs.

Edit: though, thinking about it some more, the Whedon story is about a traveling into the past and finding a child married to an older guy, so....

Uthor fucked around with this message at 15:12 on Aug 12, 2023

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

I believe in all the ways that they say you can lose your body
Fallen Rib
If you like books about teens with powers dealing with jerk adults check out Dysart's Harbinger run by Valient Comics. It's pretty much a X-Men ripoff but Dysart manages to make the teens realistic enough (and jerks enough) and has the whole teen found family thing going on. Really worth checking out.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I never read the Whedon stuff but the initial Vaugh run and the recent Rowell run are great

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Madkal posted:

If you like books about teens with powers dealing with jerk adults check out Dysart's Harbinger run by Valient Comics. It's pretty much a X-Men ripoff but Dysart manages to make the teens realistic enough (and jerks enough) and has the whole teen found family thing going on. Really worth checking out.

It eventually leads into The Life and Death of Toyo Harada, where (post-reboot, pre-NFT) Valiant gets a crown for one of the coolest villain stories.

GOD IS BED
Jun 17, 2010

ALL HAIL GOD MAMMON
:minnie:

College Slice

Endless Mike posted:

I never read the Whedon stuff but the initial Vaugh run and the recent Rowell run are great

The Rowell run is excellent.

Duncan Doenitz
Nov 17, 2010

There are four lights.
What are the key X-Men storylines that feature Graydon Creed as the primary villain? I’ve been wanting to read more of the “topical” X books in the vein of God Loves, Man Kills or X-Tinction Agenda.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

I'm not an expert in the character, but was important in Operation: Zero Tolerance and Second Coming.

inferis
Dec 30, 2003

TorpedoFish posted:

I like dogs and want to read dumb superhero comics that have dogs. The more dog centric the better. Cats and other animals are acceptable, but I strongly prefer a canine focus.

Marvel Unleashed #1 is coming out this week and it’s all animals

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

TorpedoFish posted:

I like dogs and want to read dumb superhero comics that have dogs. The more dog centric the better. Cats and other animals are acceptable, but I strongly prefer a canine focus.

We3 comic, it's a short standalone. Highly acclaimed & recommended.

edit:vv Or just someone who didn't read the previous pages very well, it's already been recommended I see.

Serephina fucked around with this message at 10:01 on Aug 23, 2023

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Serephina posted:

We3 comic, it's a short standalone. Highly acclaimed & recommended.

You're an rear end in a top hat.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

I think it’s more that We3 is very much not a happy comic for people who like animals

Lucifunk
Nov 11, 2005

The worst books featuring animals for someone looking for more fun or lighthearted animal books are We3, Beasts of Burden, and Stray Dogs. There may be others, qnd all 3 are excellent books, but tough reads for animal lovers.

If you are subscribed to Marvel Unlimited, there are several good animal based books that are more on the fun side. Gator Loki, It's Jeff, and I know I'm forgetting several others. I saw one involving a cat last week. There are at least 3 or 4 others at least.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
Pride of Baghdad is another really great book about animals that will make you sad if you like animals. Lions escaping the Baghdad zoo during the 2003 invasion of Iraq.

Edit: We3 is an amazing comic, but absolutely the worst recommendation for someone looking for a dumb superhero book featuring a dog. It's like recommending Sophie's Choice or Rosemary's Baby when someone asks for a light hearted comedy about parenthood. That's why I called the op an rear end in a top hat.

Air Skwirl fucked around with this message at 21:06 on Aug 23, 2023

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!
Or like recommending It's Jeff when someone wants something along the lines of Jaws.

It's Jeff is a delight and I recommend it to the OP

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

We3 is great if you're looking for something like Watership Down

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
I hear that Dog Man is very popular

mellonbread
Dec 20, 2017
Finished my reread of From Hell. I read it ten years ago and didn't enjoy it, the supernatural elements felt like an unwelcome distraction from an otherwise solid murder/conspiracy story. I liked it a lot more this time, especially the way Gull tries to fit his experiences into the hermetic/occult theories popular at the time and his own idiosyncratic understanding of the universe. I especially liked the contrast between Gull's mysticism and the rest of the Masons, who view their own occult traditions as flimflam and consider him a dangerous lunatic for actually believing it.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Hello. I have not read many comic books as they're not really much of a thing beyond the collected omnibuses in the back of bookshops where I'm from. Mostly I've bought the collected stories for some interesting stuff on comixology. I've recently read some Batman stories. The Long Halloween, Year One, Dark Knight Returns, and some others. I just read the Court of Owls.

I really liked the Owls story so I googled if it had a sequel or a follow up omnibus. I found it's the start of some new continuity I guess? I thought "oh I might try and just read that new continuity" and googled how to do that. I found lists of all these different issues in different series. Buying individual issues isn't really an option for me, I'm really looking for compendiums or omnibuses. On Amazon I can buy these 14 digital books which say they cover 2011-2016. I was just wondering if people knew what was up with those?

I had bought a Court of Owls omnibus and then picked up what I thought was volume 2. I guess the first book I bought was an Omnibus of the Owls story and these smaller volumes are just the full run from 2011-2016. I saw in the first two smaller volumes that even though they cover the Owls storyline too they seem to have more in them. I spotted a chapter with Mister Freeze while skimming volume 2 and I don't recall that chapter appearing in the omnibus. I've a screenshot of the stuff I'm talking about below for context!

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

https://www.instocktrades.com/products/apr190526/batman-by-snyder-capullo-omnibus-hc-vol-01

https://www.instocktrades.com/products/jul217161/batman-by-scott-snyder-greg-capullo-omnibus-hc-vol-02

https://www.instocktrades.com/products/sep227313/batman-and-robin-by-peter-j-tomasi-and-patrick-gleason-omnibus-hc-(2022-edition)

https://www.instocktrades.com/comingsoon/aug237258/batman-eternal-omnibus-hc-(2023-edition)

You want either those 4 books or the issues listed in them (google around for the contents, Amazon may be clearer and you can go digital or presumably use DC Infinite). There's a vague reading order to them due to plot points, it's been a little while but I think I read the first Snyder omni, then B&R, then Eternal, then the second Snyder omni, but I could be wrong.

I also don't recall how critical Eternal was, and it's the worst of the three runs. Court of Owls is largely the Snyder run. The Tomasi run may not have had that but was very good and contemporary with Snyder.

Also good, but in a different path, are the three Morrison omnis (I'm not a huge fan of his run but it it's good and introduces Damien) and Greyson by Tom King - I think the latter kinda requires reading the former.

edit: if you're good with digital then look into a DC infinite sub, I assume all of these are on that. Reddit should have reading orders of Snyder/Tomasi B&R/Eternal. I specify Tomasi B&R because he more recently had a run on Detective post-King (who follows Snyder).

Zachack fucked around with this message at 04:59 on Sep 7, 2023

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Zachack posted:

https://www.instocktrades.com/products/apr190526/batman-by-snyder-capullo-omnibus-hc-vol-01

https://www.instocktrades.com/products/jul217161/batman-by-scott-snyder-greg-capullo-omnibus-hc-vol-02

https://www.instocktrades.com/products/sep227313/batman-and-robin-by-peter-j-tomasi-and-patrick-gleason-omnibus-hc-(2022-edition)

https://www.instocktrades.com/comingsoon/aug237258/batman-eternal-omnibus-hc-(2023-edition)

You want either those 4 books or the issues listed in them (google around for the contents, Amazon may be clearer and you can go digital or presumably use DC Infinite). There's a vague reading order to them due to plot points, it's been a little while but I think I read the first Snyder omni, then B&R, then Eternal, then the second Snyder omni, but I could be wrong.

I also don't recall how critical Eternal was, and it's the worst of the three runs. Court of Owls is largely the Snyder run. The Tomasi run may not have had that but was very good and contemporary with Snyder.

Also good, but in a different path, are the three Morrison omnis (I'm not a huge fan of his run but it it's good and introduces Damien) and Greyson by Tom King - I think the latter kinda requires reading the former.

edit: if you're good with digital then look into a DC infinite sub, I assume all of these are on that. Reddit should have reading orders of Snyder/Tomasi B&R/Eternal. I specify Tomasi B&R because he more recently had a run on Detective post-King (who follows Snyder).

This helps a lot! I checked but DC Infinite isn't available in my region. I I'm not sure if the smaller volumes that are on amazon cover the same issues as that big omnibus you linked. Annoyingly the smaller volumes don't list what issues they gather in the item description or in their own table of contents. However that website you linked lists the chapters in them. I think I'll try and grab that first omnibus on digital if possible. So I guess my core question is if I am just kind of interested in Batman can I read those omnibuses and not worry too much about all the side stuff I might miss? I really appreciate your time!

e: using what you sent me I found another site that lists New 52 reading order specifically in terms of trade paperbacks and omnibus stuff. So that's me set. Thanks!

EmmyOk fucked around with this message at 10:23 on Sep 7, 2023

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Omnibus tend to collect everything related to a specific story. Obviously, it won't collect everything that may come up related to a character that's been around for like a century.

General advice: read what you find interesting, pick up the stories that explain the confusing parts if that interests you. Read a wiki if it's confusing, but not interesting.

Lucifunk
Nov 11, 2005

DCU has started putting collected volumes together in some of their books. I know I've seen them in Batman and Nightwing. Trouble is, sometimes the Read Next veers off track when one appears in the reading list. DCU is a pretty good deal if you want to read a lot of stuff. The highest tier is only a month behind and a lot of Wildstorm stuff is appearing along with Vertigo being added more quickly than before. Hell I got a physical special edition of the Death of Superman trade for subscribers only for free for being a subscriber. They gave out game codes for Fortnite and Gotham Knights too. Imo it's worth it if you don't mind not owning the physical books if you're looking at doing a lot of reading.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
This might be a weird request but I’m putting together an endcap at work for cozy comics. I can think of a lot of manga that are cozy in theme, like Laid Back Camp, but are there any Western comics that are particularly cozy?

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

thetoughestbean posted:

This might be a weird request but I’m putting together an endcap at work for cozy comics. I can think of a lot of manga that are cozy in theme, like Laid Back Camp, but are there any Western comics that are particularly cozy?

The Walt And Skeezix comic strip collections (especially the Sunday comics)

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

What are the current Marvel/DC runs worth checking out? Looking to get back in.

Disclaimer: I am going to end up reading Teen Titans no matter what because I have no self respect.

Edit - Any cool new indie books that have started up since 2021 would be appreciated too.

Roth fucked around with this message at 20:49 on Nov 8, 2023

mutantIke
Oct 24, 2022

Born in '04
Certified Zoomer
Check out Ultimate Universe #1, that's the current Marvel Hype thing and for once it actually seems to be worth getting invested in

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

I'm into the current Doctor Strange comic. Issue #9 just came out, but you kind of need to start with #1 from March.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Roth posted:

Disclaimer: I am going to end up reading Teen Titans no matter what because I have no self respect.

Edit - Any cool new indie books that have started up since 2021 would be appreciated too.

Tom Taylor is writing Titans now and it's good! Not as good as his Nightwing but good!

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

X-O posted:

Tom Taylor is writing Titans now and it's good! Not as good as his Nightwing but good!

My long national nightmare is over

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Roth posted:

I actually think Fall of X is a decent hoping on point for X-Men because it's just blowing up the Krakoan stuff. So there's gonna be references to stuff you haven't read, but they are a quick google or asking in the X-Men thread about them.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Comic for a kid into acting, likes writing/directing plays and movies, etc? Pre-teen (voice is starting to change, where has the time gone?), so not a "kids" book, but not looking for sex or ultraviolence.

Chinook
Apr 11, 2006

SHODAI

Uthor posted:

Comic for a kid into acting, likes writing/directing plays and movies, etc? Pre-teen (voice is starting to change, where has the time gone?), so not a "kids" book, but not looking for sex or ultraviolence.

Stuff I read at that age and found valuable- but might be too violent in some cases-
Bone
Spawn
Maus
The Maxx

It should now be easy to guess my exact age haha

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Sandman has a lot of stories about stories, which I figure kids into acting might be all about, but might be a little mature for them. Really just Neil Gaiman in general, they made a comic based on his Stardust novel and that should definitely be more age appropriate and should just be one or two graphic novels instead of 10 if you want to give them a complete set.

Chinook
Apr 11, 2006

SHODAI

Sandman is good, yeah. I think The Watchmen might be good too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Yeah, Sandman is a good idea. I gave my old TPBs to his cousin! (when she was a little older)

I don't know Stardust, but I'll look into it.