Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Uthor posted:

Yeah, Sandman is a good idea. I gave my old TPBs to his cousin! (when she was a little older)

I don't know Stardust, but I'll look into it.

It's a fairly basic fairy tale (did not mean to make that pun but after I typed it I couldn't delete it).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Uthor posted:

Yeah, Sandman is a good idea. I gave my old TPBs to his cousin! (when she was a little older)

I don't know Stardust, but I'll look into it.

They made it into a movie starring a young, unknown Charlie Cox (long before Daredevil), Claire Danes, and Robert DeNiro.

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

the movie is not so good iir. the book is, the charles vess illustrations are very nice. but unless I'm missing something it's not a book about film making or theater

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

The Voice of Labor posted:

the movie is not so good iir. the book is, the charles vess illustrations are very nice. but unless I'm missing something it's not a book about film making or theater

It's not, it just seems to me like it's a story about stories, which kids into acting and movies would appreciate, and seemed more age appropriate for a pre-teen than Sandman. But age appropriate is also highly subjective and I trust the OP to know the young person they are buying a gift for better than any of us, so wanted two options.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Uthor posted:

Comic for a kid into acting, likes writing/directing plays and movies, etc? Pre-teen (voice is starting to change, where has the time gone?), so not a "kids" book, but not looking for sex or ultraviolence.

Kageki Shoujo!! is a manga about teen girls going to a prestigious school for an all-female theater company in Japan. It’s pretty delightful

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

man, I bet there's some really obvious e.c. horror masterpiece about an actor who researches his role as a murderer by becoming a mmmmurrrderrerrrr

...the facts in the case of mrs. finch. that's the neil gaiman comic about theatre troops, but I can't remember how age appropriate it is

SilentChaz
Oct 5, 2011

Sorry, I'm quite busy at the moment.

Uthor posted:

Comic for a kid into acting, likes writing/directing plays and movies, etc? Pre-teen (voice is starting to change, where has the time gone?), so not a "kids" book, but not looking for sex or ultraviolence.

The Backstagers is about a group of theater kids at a school putting on plays and musicals while exploring the mysterious Backstage.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

SilentChaz posted:

The Backstagers is about a group of theater kids at a school putting on plays and musicals while exploring the mysterious Backstage.

Welp, I canceled Sandman and grabbed this. Much thanks.

Stagger_Lee
Mar 25, 2009
Sandman kicks off with an off-screen rape and has an early issue completely devoted to horrific ultraviolence. It's a great candidate for an early teen to come to on their own, as those don't really characterize the run at all, but worth being aware of.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

I forget about that all the time. I started reading Sandman at 14, but by picking up the first issue of The Wake (NOT a good place to jump into that story!). Those were not violent at all.

Baby Proof
May 16, 2009

Raina Telgemeier's Drama immediately comes to mind. Although there's a good chance he's already read it. (And I don’t actually remember much about it)

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Stagger_Lee posted:

Sandman kicks off with an off-screen rape and has an early issue completely devoted to horrific ultraviolence. It's a great candidate for an early teen to come to on their own, as those don't really characterize the run at all, but worth being aware of.

Yeah, I always forget to put that warning label when recommending it for younger people. It does very much depend on the individual child in question, and I tend to remember stories like The Sound of Her Wings and Hope in Hell more than 24 Hours.

96 spacejam
Dec 4, 2009

I really love The Department of Truth, the first few anyways. Black Monday Murders as well. I'm not so much looking for another graphic novel rec, but a traditional novel rec if that's okay.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

96 spacejam posted:

I really love The Department of Truth, the first few anyways. Black Monday Murders as well. I'm not so much looking for another graphic novel rec, but a traditional novel rec if that's okay.

Richard Stark's Parker novels. There's not a ton of continuity to them so you can just get whichever one seems interesting or available cheaply without worrying about not having read the previous ones.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Did Black Monday Murders even finish? Last I saw they never put out the last issue. Maybe I missed it!

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Not yet. The artist had some health issues that delayed it and Hickman is Hickman, but supposedly they're just about done.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

96 spacejam posted:

If you're interested in weird conspiracy theory stuff, the ur-text is the Illuminatus! trilogy from the 70s (The Eye in the Pyramid, The Golden Apple, Leviathan). It's dated today but still pretty funny.

There's also Thomas Pynchon, particularly V., The Crying of Lot 49, and Gravity's Rainbow.

For more modern stuff, maybe John Dies At the End and its sequels?

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Foucalt’s Pendulum is Dan Brown but way more literate.

Draxion
Jun 9, 2013

96 spacejam posted:

Something like Tim Powers' Declare maybe?

GOD IS BED
Jun 17, 2010

ALL HAIL GOD MAMMON
:minnie:

College Slice

96 spacejam posted:

The Devils Chessboard

96 spacejam
Dec 4, 2009

All top tier suggestions.

I think I want to jump into Agent of Chaos about Thomas Forcade before going into Devils. I know it's going to be a great read (Devil's), it's been sitting on my shelf for ages, but I just hate Dulles so much that I've been putting it off, and I need a break after coming off a podcast binge of TrueAnon's first 50 or so eps deep diving on Epstien.

Illumiatus Trilogy has been collecting dust for over a decade. I remember being in my early 20s and even today it looks like it has a bit of everything I like but in doing some review skimming here I was getting the im14edgy vibe? Is that PHIZ just being PHIZ? I see the slippery slope.

Foucalt’s Pendulum - I read a few excepts this morning and while I've heard of it for years. Is there something else you would compare it to? (I haven't read Gravity's Rainbow)

I hope this doesn't' break the rules of the thread too much. The Department of Truth just kickstarted my love of reading again. While I've been using BSS to get myself up on TBMM, Invisibles, etc I'm realizing I've been a accidental non-fiction reader for over 20 years but those 3 series shook something loose and I'm pretty sure you all are the best to help

Good-Natured Filth
Jun 8, 2008

Do you think I've got the goods Bubblegum? Cuz I am INTO this stuff!

This is less of a specific book recommendation and more of a "where to get my books" question. My local store of 12 years is shutting its doors at the end of February. End of an era and very sad. The other two reasonably close stores are run by an rear end in a top hat and a racist respectively, so I'd rather not give them my business.

That being said, my monthly pull list is usually filled with Image or other "smaller" publishers' books (i.e. not Marvel or DC). I'm not aware of an online subscription that could get me those digitally (akin to Marvel Unlimited or DC Universe). Are there any good national stores that ship pull lists at a reasonable price?

Edit: to be specific, my current monthly list consists of Monstress, Something Epic, Sacrificers, Holy Roller, Cull, Undiscovered Country, Dark Ride, and a couple Star Wars books.

Good-Natured Filth fucked around with this message at 03:07 on Dec 15, 2023

GOD IS BED
Jun 17, 2010

ALL HAIL GOD MAMMON
:minnie:

College Slice

Good-Natured Filth posted:

This is less of a specific book recommendation and more of a "where to get my books" question. My local store of 12 years is shutting its doors at the end of February. End of an era and very sad. The other two reasonably close stores are run by an rear end in a top hat and a racist respectively, so I'd rather not give them my business.

That being said, my monthly pull list is usually filled with Image or other "smaller" publishers' books (i.e. not Marvel or DC). I'm not aware of an online subscription that could get me those digitally (akin to Marvel Unlimited or DC Universe). Are there any good national stores that ship pull lists at a reasonable price?

Edit: to be specific, my current monthly list consists of Monstress, Something Epic, Sacrificers, Holy Roller, Cull, Undiscovered Country, Dark Ride, and a couple Star Wars books.

I used Midtown Comics a few years ago, they were pretty decent but had a 10 book minimum. Dunno anything about their services now, stopped collecting floppies a while back.

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

96 spacejam posted:

Illumiatus Trilogy has been collecting dust for over a decade. I remember being in my early 20s and even today it looks like it has a bit of everything I like but in doing some review skimming here I was getting the im14edgy vibe? Is that PHIZ just being PHIZ? I see the slippery slope.

kinda, the second character introduced is a serial rapist and the second or third thing that happens in the book is jail rape. but there are dolphins. like, the end is that big battle at the end of the hobbit except instead of hobbits and eagles it's hippies and dolphins.

terry southern wrote a bunch of silly hippy conspiracy novels, at least two got made into movies.

with pynchon bleeding edge (9/11 conspiracy) and vineland (60s cointelpro -> 80s fascism conspiracy) would be my recommendations. inherent vice left me kinda flat, but it is a straight up detective novel....

....there is dirk gentlys holistic detective agency.

stanislaw lem's peace on earth might hit the spot, it's a mystery with intrigues playing out in a scifi future paranoia

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

I believe in all the ways that they say you can lose your body
Fallen Rib

Good-Natured Filth posted:

Tangently kind of related to this my store is also closing down at the end of this month and doing a big sale on mostly floppies as everything else has been sold. Are there any runs from the past 4 or so years I should look into? I read mostly DC stuff and have limited space so I am looking for more small runs of titles as opposed to picking up a hundred odd issues of something. If there were any good mini series from a few years back worth checking out that would be appreciated

screenwritersblues
Sep 13, 2010
I’ve been getting into graphic novels recently and have amassed a decent collection that I’m slowly working my way though. I’m not into super heroes really, but love horror (not super gory), music related and stuff like strangers in paradise. Where should I go from there? I also found some hardy boys and Nancy drew adapted comics, is there anything is there anything similar to that?

Vulpes Vulpes
Apr 28, 2013

"...for you, it is all over...!"
If you like Hardy Boys/Nancy Drew and horror, you should check out the Hobtown Mystery Stories series by Kris Bertin and Alexander Forbes, they're fantastic.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

If you're okay with reading digitally, Friday is a horror comic I'm enjoying the heck out of. One issue left to come out, but at their pace, it'll probably be a few months.

Pay what you wish.

http://panelsyndicate.com/comics/friday

Music, especially 80's punk related, Jamie Hernandez' Love and Rockets storyline. Start at the beginning. There's only about 40 years of comics to catch up on...

https://www.fantagraphics.com/collections/love-and-rockets

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

If you like horror and Strangers in Paradise, you should probably check out Terry Moore's Rachel Rising.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Black's Myth is really good, about a werewolf private investigator and her djinn partner. And it goes the weird werewolf myth route, where she has to fight Satan every year to make sure the harvest comes in.

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!
Got a question from a friend: Is anyone familiar with the Korean comics scene? My friend is curious about it but not sure where to start.
They can read Korean, but I think they'd prefer English.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
What's the best Alien Dark Horse collected edition?

hadji murad
Apr 18, 2006
I’m trying to buy a specific recent DC trade paperback and I’ve had no luck with Amazon or Instocktrades.

Where else could you recommend? I’m overseas so they need to ship internationally.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Alibris ships internationally, maybe try them?

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

hadji murad posted:

I’m trying to buy a specific recent DC trade paperback and I’ve had no luck with Amazon or Instocktrades.

Where else could you recommend? I’m overseas so they need to ship internationally.

What is it? I'm surrounded by good comic shops and would be happy to look, as long as you can cover the cost plus shipping.

Action Jacktion
Jun 3, 2003
Organic Priced Books, Midtown Comics, MyComicShop, Things from Another World, and Dreamland Comics ship internationally.

Action Jacktion fucked around with this message at 15:32 on Jan 13, 2024

hadji murad
Apr 18, 2006
I’m looking for The Flash vol 16 by Jeremy Adams. It seems really hard to find and it got cancelled from my Instock Trades order. I don’t want to go down the Amazon alternate sellers route. I’ll check the sites suggested. Thanks a lot!

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Is Grendel any good? It's been around forever, but that isn't always an indicator of quality...

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

I found a year or two of an early run at a thrift sale and enjoyed it. a lot of that enjoyment was "lol 80s" nostalagia looking at the angular shoulderpadded women's fashions and everyone smoking. wagner's a pretty good writer through, sandman mystery theater held up, if you want detectivey stuff grendel probably won't disappoint

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

The first volume is a classic, but didn't do "it" for me. From what I remember, it was more like an illustrated story than a comic? I guess I own a Batman Grendel series, but don't remember it at all. But, I also have Grendel War Child and I like that, possibly because I was like 12 when I first read a couple of issues. It's weird, has Grendel, but in a post apocalypse. A Mad Max feel. Funny, I put it in my reading queue a couple of days ago.