Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

fatherboxx posted:

Dark Reign: The List: Wolverine features The World - a facility with confusing mechanics that plays a huge role in the UXF story.

Was that the story where Fantomex and Noh-Varr teamed up to save the day? Because that was a great story. :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

fatherboxx posted:

Dark Reign: The List: Wolverine features The World - a facility with confusing mechanics that plays a huge role in the UXF story.

It first came up in Morrison's New X-Men, so I guess you should go check that out too?

SMP
May 5, 2009

Comixology's sale today is Captain America. I've heard constant recommendations to check out Ed Brubaker's run on it. Is this the run they're recommending? Because I notice he is the writer on both vol 5 and 6.

Brocktoon
Jul 18, 2006

Before we engage we should hang back and study their tactics.

SMP posted:

Comixology's sale today is Captain America. I've heard constant recommendations to check out Ed Brubaker's run on it. Is this the run they're recommending? Because I notice he is the writer on both vol 5 and 6.

Looks like the sale is only v6, which is great, but I would read v5 first. The whole Brubaker run is amazing.

Auralsaurus Flex
Aug 3, 2012

AXE COP posted:

At the end of the last thread I asked about comics depicting superhero police forces. After reading through Top 10 again I realised what I was actually looking for was comics about superhero societies. Big cities crammed with costumed crusaders, governments stuffed with powered people, worlds run by the great and the good, stuff like that. Places where having powers is mundane.

I'm pretty unfamiliar with comics so the only other things I can think of that fit the bill are Top 10, The Authority, or the City of Heroes series that NCSoft commissioned. Can anyone recommend something else like these?

I'd potentially recommend Jupiter's Legacy if you're not averse to Mark Millar and picking up floppies of a limited series that's currently ongoing. Aside from commenting on current political issues in America, it's about the advent of superpowers, their effect on society, and the responsibility that comes with those powers. The best part, though, is that you can check out the first three issues for the same price as a most major comic books.

SMP
May 5, 2009

Brocktoon posted:

Looks like the sale is only v6, which is great, but I would read v5 first. The whole Brubaker run is amazing.

Thanks, I picked up v6 now since it's cheap. Hopefully v5 will go on sale closer to when the movie releases. Is there a good goon-recommended reading order around? I know next to nothing about the dude except what I saw in the movies & cultural osmosis.

Brocktoon
Jul 18, 2006

Before we engage we should hang back and study their tactics.

SMP posted:

Thanks, I picked up v6 now since it's cheap. Hopefully v5 will go on sale closer to when the movie releases. Is there a good goon-recommended reading order around? I know next to nothing about the dude except what I saw in the movies & cultural osmosis.

No prep is really necessary. I've never read any Captain America comics other than Brubaker's.

v5 #1-17
Captain America 65th Anniversary Special
v5 #18-24
Winder Soldier: Winter Kills (One Shot)
v5 #25-50
v5 #600 (they renumbered, of course)
Captain America Reborn #1-6
Captain America: Who Will Wield The Shield? (One Shot)
v5 #602-615.1
Steve Rogers: Super Soldier #1-4
v5 #616-628
v6 #1-19
Winter Soldier #1-14

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

SMP posted:

You could read the older run now on Marvel Unlimited. If you do it within a three month subscription, it'd be way cheaper than buying them all at a dollar in a possible future sale.

EDIT: There's an Animal Man sale on right now. I recommend you get everything from the Grant Morrison and Jeff Lemire pile.
https://www.comixology.com/Animal-Man-Sale/page/1195

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 04:39 on Mar 18, 2014

Man-In-Madden
Jul 22, 2007

And when the music fades away
I know I'll be okay
Contagious rhythms in my brain
Let it play
Are any of the DC Villains one-shots recommended for good self-contained stories? I've only read Count Vertigo since I already read Green Arrow and I'm thinking of picking up the Zod and Lex ones since I'm bout to catch up on the Greg Pak run of Action but I'd be down to pick up some more.

Man-In-Madden fucked around with this message at 15:50 on Mar 18, 2014

sporklift
Aug 3, 2008

Feelin' it so hard.

I just bought Zero to pad an order for free shipping and holy poo poo it is pretty good. I hadn't heard anything about it before. Definitely pick it up if you like super spy stuff. I had just finished up the first three volumes of Queen and Country as well as GI Joe the Last Laugh and this fit in perfectly. Then you get that crazy last page...

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Man-In-Madden posted:

Are any of the DC Villains one-shots recommended for good self-contained stories? I've only read Count Vertigo since I already read Green Arrow and I'm thinking of picking up the Zod and Lex ones since I'm bout to catch up on the Greg Pak run of Action but I'd be down to pick up some more.

Zod and Doomsday for Pak, Parasite for Aaron Kruder (who does the great art for Pak's Action) and Dial E is the actual last issue of Dial H but can be stand-alone and has an awesome new artist for every page (read Dial H though!)

Arcane, Riddler and Secret Society were also good, but they really tie-in to their larger things, Swamp Thing, Zero Year and Forever Evil.

Even though I've got a boner for Soule comics, I didn't think Lex was any good.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 21:21 on Mar 18, 2014

Mahasamatman
Nov 8, 2006

Flame on the trail headed for the powder keg
I want to read some Black Panther comics. Where should I start? My local library has a couple of the Marvel Essential volumes should I just start there (the beginning I assume?)

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

Someone may correct me as I haven't read either, but I think the Kirby series from the late 70s and the Christopher Priest run from the late 90s/early 2000s are supposed to be good. I'm not sure about the later Reginald Hudlin stuff, I think general opinion on it was that it was ok but not great.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

irlZaphod posted:

Someone may correct me as I haven't read either, but I think the Kirby series from the late 70s and the Christopher Priest run from the late 90s/early 2000s are supposed to be good. I'm not sure about the later Reginald Hudlin stuff, I think general opinion on it was that it was ok but not great.

The Kirby stuff is Kirby, so you know it's going to be great to look at. The Priest stuff is 100% awesome, and I give it my highest recommendation. I think Hudlin was the guy who had Panther put the Silver Surfer in a chicken-wing, which was irredeemably stupid. :colbert:

Man-In-Madden
Jul 22, 2007

I know I'll be okay
Let it play

Teenage Fansub posted:

Zod and Doomsday for Pak, Parasite for Aaron Kruder (who does the great art for Pak's Action) and Dial E is the actual last issue of Dial H but can be stand-alone and has an awesome new artist for every page (read Dial H though!)

Arcane, Riddler and Secret Society were also good, but they really tie-in to their larger things, Swamp Thing, Zero Year and Forever Evil.

Even though I've got a boner for Soule comics, I didn't think Lex was any good.

Looks like I'll be picking up those first four then, thanks!

e: I noticed Pak also wrote the Darkseid issue but you're not recommending it. Is it because its bad or does it tie in too much to other stuff too?

Man-In-Madden fucked around with this message at 13:03 on Mar 19, 2014

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

prefect posted:

The Kirby stuff is Kirby, so you know it's going to be great to look at. The Priest stuff is 100% awesome, and I give it my highest recommendation. I think Hudlin was the guy who had Panther put the Silver Surfer in a chicken-wing, which was irredeemably stupid. :colbert:
No, that was McDuffie during his F4 run, I'm pretty sure.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Endless Mike posted:

No, that was McDuffie during his F4 run, I'm pretty sure.

Whoops. :blush: I apologize to Reginald Hudlin, then.

His Black Panther run wasn't bad, but it wasn't particularly good, either. :shrug: (To be fair, there are not a lot of people who would have been able to follow Priest. :swoon:)

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Man-In-Madden posted:

Looks like I'll be picking up those first four then, thanks!

e: I noticed Pak also wrote the Darkseid issue but you're not recommending it. Is it because its bad or does it tie in too much to other stuff too?

I'd give it a go. It was a very different origin take that pissed people off, but I can't recall the quality of the story.
I think it referred to the first arc of Justice League a little.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 20:49 on Mar 19, 2014

Man-In-Madden
Jul 22, 2007

I know I'll be okay
Let it play

Teenage Fansub posted:

I'd give it a go. It was a very different origin take that pissed people off, but I can't recall the quality of the story.
I think it referred to the first arc of Justice League a little.

Cool, I picked it up so we'll see. I picked up the Charles Soule run on Swamp Thing (including Arcane) thanks in part to your recommendation so thanks a lot!

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

prefect posted:

Whoops. :blush: I apologize to Reginald Hudlin, then.

His Black Panther run wasn't bad, but it wasn't particularly good, either. :shrug:

I thought Hudlin's run was plenty bad, especially since the only way he knew to make Panther and Wakanda look good was making everyone else look like petty children. Anyone remember "blacks are naturally athletic but not as smart as whites" Dr. Doom? Or how about some loving Wakandan scientist being all "We shouldn't share the cure for cancer with the outside world, they're simply not ready."

God, what a clusterfuck.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Man-In-Madden posted:

Cool, I picked it up so we'll see. I picked up the Charles Soule run on Swamp Thing (including Arcane) thanks in part to your recommendation so thanks a lot!

Cool. It's excellent, but if you've not followed Snyder's run you might be lost on the Arcane issue. It's a capper to what happened there instead of tying into the current run. Soule's Swamp Thing actually picks up pretty fresh and doesn't require back-reading.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 22:00 on Mar 19, 2014

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Lurdiak posted:

I thought Hudlin's run was plenty bad, especially since the only way he knew to make Panther and Wakanda look good was making everyone else look like petty children. Anyone remember "blacks are naturally athletic but not as smart as whites" Dr. Doom? Or how about some loving Wakandan scientist being all "We shouldn't share the cure for cancer with the outside world, they're simply not ready."

God, what a clusterfuck.

It makes Black Panther look even worse, as he was there when Captain Marvel died.

Man-In-Madden
Jul 22, 2007

I know I'll be okay
Let it play

Teenage Fansub posted:

Cool. It's excellent, but if you've not followed Snyder's run you might be lost on the Arcane issue. It's a capper to what happened there instead of tying into the current run. Soule's Swamp Thing actually picks up pretty fresh and doesn't require back-reading.

Oh well, it was only 2 bucks so its ok. I've been trying to get back onto DC stuff since I stopped when G-Mo left Action Comics so series like Green Arrow and Swamp Thing having jump-in points with writers I'm familiar with seems to be the perfect excuse to do it.

Zombie Tsunami
Jun 22, 2006

Been thinking about buying Green Lantern / Green Arrow for a few weeks now. Is it quality? I know it's from the '70s, so it could very much be outdated. Or amazing.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Zombie Tsunami posted:

Been thinking about buying Green Lantern / Green Arrow for a few weeks now. Is it quality? I know it's from the '70s, so it could very much be outdated. Or amazing.

It is good, but dated. The stories are still enjoyable, but they are still written in the 70s. It is important to read them with that knowledge. It is also one of the few times Hal Jordan is interesting.

foutre
Sep 4, 2011

:toot: RIP ZEEZ :toot:
I have two separate requests.

First, I love Lazarus. I like the power plays between large organizations, the sympathetic main character who still has some confused identity poo poo going on, the cyberpunky setting, and all that. Is there anything in a similar vein that has more of a backlog I can read?

Second, I really like Saga and Brian K Vaughn's work in general. Thing is, I've already read all his stuff and all of Saga. I like the relatively mature characterization (ok, kind of), the unusual setting, and the writing in general. I tried Prophet because for some reason I thought it would be similar, but the characters didn't draw me in. I think I need compelling/likable characters to really enjoy it.

Thanks in advance for the recs, apologies if I missed one of these earlier.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
Holy crap, I just finished Superior Foes of Spider-Man Volume 1, and loved EVERY PANEL of it. I was skeptical, because I heard good things, but I've also heard bad things in general about Nick Spencer's writing.

This book is for anyone who loves Hawkeye, JLI, Ostrander's Suicide Squad, Tarantino, Elmore Leonard, Carl Hiaasen, and any stories about bad guys who aren't as bad as certain other bad guys.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou fucked around with this message at 04:43 on Mar 24, 2014

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.
I really enjoyed the latest Moon Knight issue. I know that there was an attempt to revamp the character a few years ago. Is it worth reading or should I stick to the older volumes?

Also is there a specific event tied to Carol Danvers becomming Captain Marvel? And are there any good runs with her as Ms. Marvel? The character looks cool and I wanna read about the transition.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

Action Tortoise posted:

I really enjoyed the latest Moon Knight issue. I know that there was an attempt to revamp the character a few years ago. Is it worth reading or should I stick to the older volumes?

Also is there a specific event tied to Carol Danvers becomming Captain Marvel? And are there any good runs with her as Ms. Marvel? The character looks cool and I wanna read about the transition.

The last Moon Knight series was the Bendis-written one, which had some interesting idea but was, in the end, a Very Bendis Book; if you enjoy his work, great, try it out. Otherwise, it's missable. The 2006 relaunch by Charlie Huston got very good reviews and was definitely an exploration of "hey look this guy might be a superhero and all but he's also fuckin' nuts" that I think was far superior.

As for Carol, her adoption of the Captain Marvel name came pretty much out of the blue; there was an issue of... I want to say Avengers Assemble... that featured her and Captain America and Cap basically told her "hey it's time to get out of the first Captain Marvel's shadow" that came not long after AvX but it wasn't an event-driven shift; it was one of those decisions that was almost certainly editorially pushed, or at least pushed by the writer (Kelly Sue DeConnick), but it felt - at least to me - like one of those decisions that had been a long time coming anyway, so there was no burning need to get all nerdrage-y about it.

I haven't read any of the early, early appearances of the character so I can't comment on those - but most were written by Chris Claremont which ought to give you an idea, I suspect. Brian Reed's relaunch of the Ms. Marvel title (just after House of M) was, I thought, really very good - albeit kind of uneven at times, and all too often saddled with very cheesecake-y art. When it was good it was very, very good, though. Plus it had the "Carol Danvers and Spider-Man go on a date" issue which was wonderful.

You could make a fairly compelling case that the entire events of that series serves as the impetus for Carol to adopt the Captain Marvel ID, really - the kickoff idea was that Carol did go by Captain Marvel in the House of M reality, and she was a big shot - the Superman equivalent, basically - and she felt, once House of M ended, like she had seen a glimpse of her potential, and that she hadn't been living up to that potential, so it was time to get her rear end in gear.

it dont matter
Aug 29, 2008

Read that new Tales of Honor comic, the one based on the Honor Harrington stories by David Weber. Writing isn't great, art is bland. However, it is sci-fi with big spaceships and lasers, which I haven't seen a lot of in comics. Anything else out there along those lines which isn't Star Trek/Wars related?

Also, any recommendations for dark superhero stuff? I've read Irredeemable, The Boys, The Authority, Planetary, that new series The Royals, Supergods, Uber, God is Dead, and just about everything I could find by Warren Ellis on that theme. Anything I might have missed involving superheroes going bad or things taking a darker turn than the usual Marvel and DC approach? Particularly liked Supergods and God is Dead for the weirdness, horror and their use of religion and mythology, and Uber and The Royals for their alternate history.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

O Hanraha-hanrahan posted:

Read that new Tales of Honor comic, the one based on the Honor Harrington stories by David Weber. Writing isn't great, art is bland. However, it is sci-fi with big spaceships and lasers, which I haven't seen a lot of in comics. Anything else out there along those lines which isn't Star Trek/Wars related?

Jonathan Hickman's Avengers/New Avengers led up to Infinity which was big on the dozens of space ships shootin' lasers at each other and robot aliens. Also, his New Avengers is pretty dark, or at least heavy and bleak.

e: You could try Letter 44 which is about the new US president inheriting a secret mission where a team of astronauts are attempting to contact a massive alien craft which is cloaked near Earth. That's starting to get really crazy, and it's by Charles Soule who's killing it beyond what's necessary on, like eight mainstream comics at once.

ee: Definitely backing the post down there about Rick Remender's Uncanny X-Force for dark superheroes. It's excellent. He's continued the story into his current Uncanny Avengers, where things recently got to such a state that the Earth blew up!
Look for Remender's series. The new volume of Uncanny X-Force from a different author has nothing to do with it.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 14:17 on Mar 24, 2014

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

As for Carol, her adoption of the Captain Marvel name came pretty much out of the blue; there was an issue of... I want to say Avengers Assemble... that featured her and Captain America and Cap basically told her "hey it's time to get out of the first Captain Marvel's shadow" that came not long after AvX but it wasn't an event-driven shift; it was one of those decisions that was almost certainly editorially pushed, or at least pushed by the writer (Kelly Sue DeConnick), but it felt - at least to me - like one of those decisions that had been a long time coming anyway, so there was no burning need to get all nerdrage-y about it.

She's not even officially calling herself Captain Marvel for the first few issues of Captain Marvel.

I think she decides to use it after the time travel arc.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Aphrodite posted:

She's not even officially calling herself Captain Marvel for the first few issues of Captain Marvel.

I think she decides to use it after the time travel arc.

Actually no, I'm pretty sure "I'm taking the drat name" is from the end of the first issue.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

Also, any recommendations for dark superhero stuff? I've read Irredeemable, The Boys, The Authority, Planetary, that new series The Royals, Supergods, Uber, God is Dead, and just about everything I could find by Warren Ellis on that theme. Anything I might have missed involving superheroes going bad or things taking a darker turn than the usual Marvel and DC approach? Particularly liked Supergods and God is Dead for the weirdness, horror and their use of religion and mythology, and Uber and The Royals for their alternate history.

Take a look at Fear Agent, which is basically a space story with lasers and jet packs and rockets, but, well, modern and kind of dark.

It's not superhero, but take a look at Hickman's Manhattan Projects or his East of West. The first is an alternate history where the world's greatest scientists fight off alien threats with ultraviolence. The second is slightly in the future, but with an alternate history starting with a vastly different Civil War, where the four horsemen of the apocalypse are on Earth. Also: ultraviolence. Actually, a lot of Hickman's stuff is along those lines: Red Mass for Mars, Pax Romana, Red Wing. Lots of alternate histories, not a lot of superheroes.

As for straight up superhero stories, Remender's Uncanny X-Force about a squad of mutant assassins is really good.

The recent 12 issue run of Glory is pretty great, kinda dark, but not on the weirdness levels of Ellis' work.

Uthor fucked around with this message at 14:06 on Mar 24, 2014

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Hakkesshu posted:

Actually no, I'm pretty sure "I'm taking the drat name" is from the end of the first issue.

Yeah but time travel so I'm right too!

I don't actually remember, it just seemed like literally taking the Captain Marvel role in her own origin story would be a natural point to do it.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Aphrodite posted:

I don't actually remember, it just seemed like literally taking the Captain Marvel role in her own origin story would be a natural point to do it.

The whole first issue is a cleverly constructed tone piece, that sets the stage for Carol as a new icon for female superheroes, beginning with the name. The art doesn't really fit, but I think it's a stellar starting point... which DeConnick promptly throws in the garbage with that loving time travel arc. In hindsight, it seemed the book never really recovered from that, and was just very directionless until the whole The Enemy Within arc, not to mention the art kept changing in completely opposite directions between issues. Captain Marvel has a lot of heart, but I think it is the very definition of wasted potential in everything except maybe cover art, which are almost all poster-worthy.

At least the first issue of the relaunch was really good, but it's probably too late to salvage.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

Aphrodite posted:

I think I'm the only bothered by her calling herself Captain Marvel when she's a Colonel in the Air Force, a full three ranks above Captain. She even brought it up in the first issue of her ongoing (I think) where she told Captain America that she out ranks him.

it dont matter
Aug 29, 2008

Uthor posted:

Take a look at Fear Agent, which is basically a space story with lasers and jet packs and rockets, but, well, modern and kind of dark.

It's not superhero, but take a look at Hickman's Manhattan Projects or his East of West. The first is an alternate history where the world's greatest scientists fight off alien threats with ultraviolence. The second is slightly in the future, but with an alternate history starting with a vastly different Civil War, where the four horsemen of the apocalypse are on Earth. Also: ultraviolence. Actually, a lot of Hickman's stuff is along those lines: Red Mass for Mars, Pax Romana, Red Wing. Lots of alternate histories, not a lot of superheroes.

As for straight up superhero stories, Remender's Uncanny X-Force about a squad of mutant assassins is really good.

The recent 12 issue run of Glory is pretty great, kinda dark, but not on the weirdness levels of Ellis' work.

I've got Manhattan Projects, it's great, and I'm following East of West too, which is also great. Hickman is one of my favourite writers at the moment. He did an awesome job on The Ultimates for a while, that Reed Richards plotline and the apocalyptic direction the whole universe went in was nuts.

Red Mass for Mars I've read too, but I've not seen those others yet so will give them a crack. Cheers.

Letter 44 I'm following, and it's quite good, though I can't get over the name of the president in it: PRESIDENT BLADES. It sounds like something I'd have come up with when I was 12. Will have a look at Soule's other work, not familiar with him.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

Will have a look at Soule's other work, not familiar with him.

You're really missing out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

I've got Manhattan Projects, it's great, and I'm following East of West too, which is also great. Hickman is one of my favourite writers at the moment. He did an awesome job on The Ultimates for a while, that Reed Richards plotline and the apocalyptic direction the whole universe went in was nuts.

If you haven't, y'should totally check out his Avengers. If you want apocalyptic, in New Avengers there's been a constant threat of multi-dimentional Earths crashing into each other and Infinity was the best big event they've had in about forever.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 20:44 on Mar 24, 2014