Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Is Aphrodite IX V2 any good? I don't know anything about the original, but I checked out a preview of the new book on a whim and man this loving art:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saeku
Sep 22, 2010
I'm just getting into superhero comics. The ones I like most have a surreal/trippy side -- read pretty much everything by Peter Milligan and Grant Morrison and recently enjoyed the New 52 Animal Man and Dial H. Shade: the Changing Man is the perfect example of the kind of thing I want. Any recs in the same vein?

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
The current X-Man Legacy?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Uthor posted:

It just ended.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Saeku posted:

I'm just getting into superhero comics. The ones I like most have a surreal/trippy side -- read pretty much everything by Peter Milligan and Grant Morrison and recently enjoyed the New 52 Animal Man and Dial H. Shade: the Changing Man is the perfect example of the kind of thing I want. Any recs in the same vein?

Jack Kirby's Fourth World.
http://www.amazon.com/Jack-Kirbys-F...k+kirby+omnibus

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Saeku posted:

Matt Fraction's Casanova?

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
The newest version of Moon Knight looks like it's going to be right up your alley. Only one issue out, so far.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

Uthor posted:

http://www.amazon.com/X-Men-Legacy-Volume-Prodigal-Marvel/dp/0785162496/ref=tmm_pap_title_0?ie=UTF8&qid=1395954550&sr=1-1
This is the one they are talking about and it does sound like what you're looking for.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer
I got Marvel Unlimited recently, and I've been using this thread, the older thread, and various best-of list I googled to build up a library of stuff to read. Nonetheless, the sheer amount of comics can be overwhelming. I'm still trying to find the best arcs of the most popular characters, but I'm also trying to spread out on lesser-known characters as well.

Today in my googling, I came across this amazing web page that breaks down a lot of famous arcs and where to find them on Unlimited. It also mentions specific issues as well, so that's an option.

The same website has another page that breaks down major events in Marvel's history, from before Avengers Disassembled to Infinity, also Unlimited friendly.

I dunno if you want to put these links on the first page of the thread, but I they've helped me a LOT.

Also, if anyone's interested in reading through Annihilation, the Thanos 12-issue series (2003) by Starlin and then Giffen isn't that good.

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Three games, thousands of playthroughs. 90% of the players don't know I exist. Still a redhead saving the galaxy with a [Right Hook].

:edi:

Franchescanado posted:

I got Marvel Unlimited recently, and I've been using this thread, the older thread, and various best-of list I googled to build up a library of stuff to read. Nonetheless, the sheer amount of comics can be overwhelming. I'm still trying to find the best arcs of the most popular characters, but I'm also trying to spread out on lesser-known characters as well.

Today in my googling, I came across this amazing web page that breaks down a lot of famous arcs and where to find them on Unlimited. It also mentions specific issues as well, so that's an option.

The same website has another page that breaks down major events in Marvel's history, from before Avengers Disassembled to Infinity, also Unlimited friendly.

I dunno if you want to put these links on the first page of the thread, but I they've helped me a LOT.

Also, if anyone's interested in reading through Annihilation, the Thanos 12-issue series (2003) by Starlin and then Giffen isn't that good.

I was planning to get Marvel Unlimited so this helps out a ton.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Use the original reader they offer. The beta is still very buggy and its smart panels option is poo poo.

Mahasamatman
Nov 8, 2006

Flame on the trail headed for the powder keg
Black Panther v3 (Priest) was really fun and amazing. Thanks for the good recommendations goons.

What's the best Dr. Strange stuff?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Mahasamatman posted:

Black Panther v3 (Priest) was really fun and amazing. Thanks for the good recommendations goons.

What's the best Dr. Strange stuff?

The original Lee/Ditko stuff, it's more of a Dr Doom story than a Dr Strange one, but their team-up is good, Matt Fraction's Defenders, The Oath by Brian K. Vaughn, and Strange: The Doctor is Out, by Mark Waid. If you like older comics, than what little I've read of the original Defenders is pretty good too.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
On that note, is the Defenders miniseries by the JLI team of Giffen, DeMatteis, and Maguire any good? I've never heard anyone actually discuss it.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

On that note, is the Defenders miniseries by the JLI team of Giffen, DeMatteis, and Maguire any good? I've never heard anyone actually discuss it.

Oh yeah, I forgot about that one. It's very much tongue in cheek, but entertaining enough. I haven't read JLI, but based on what I heard about it, they're very similar tonally.

Zombie Tsunami
Jun 22, 2006

bobkatt013 posted:

It is good, but dated. The stories are still enjoyable, but they are still written in the 70s. It is important to read them with that knowledge. It is also one of the few times Hal Jordan is interesting.

Just now got to reading this, wanted to say thanks. These stories get pretty heavy, man.

Baby Broomer
Feb 19, 2013
I have always wanted to read The Flash, so what're the recommended Flash runs? I'm willing to read really old comics, in fact I love them, so please feel free to recommend some 50's stories if they're any good.

Also, I'm almost through Ennis' Punisher Max. What are the best Ennis books? I ask because I've heard a lot of horror stories. If it helps, I hated the Boys and that book alone almost put me off Ennis forever until I started reading his Hellblazer run.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Baby Broomer posted:

I have always wanted to read The Flash, so what're the recommended Flash runs? I'm willing to read really old comics, in fact I love them, so please feel free to recommend some 50's stories if they're any good.

Also, I'm almost through Ennis' Punisher Max. What are the best Ennis books? I ask because I've heard a lot of horror stories. If it helps, I hated the Boys and that book alone almost put me off Ennis forever until I started reading his Hellblazer run.

Mark Waid's big-rear end run on the Flash is very well regarded. I once had a plan to bind his entire tenure on the title since DC didn't look like they were going to (and still doesn't), but I eventually chose not to, but I do have this checklist lying about that has it all in reading order.

The best Ennis books IMO are: Punisher Max (inc. Born, Barracuda, and From First to Last), Fury Max (the 2012 version), his Hellblazer run, and Hitman (talk about nailing the landing).

redbackground fucked around with this message at 17:55 on Apr 1, 2014

aroundtheback
Apr 4, 2013
Can anyone give me any advice on pre-crisis Superman? I've read a fair bit of modern Superman but the only real classic stuff I've read is from the Superman Greatest story ever told trade. I was looking at the Gil Kane Superman trade that DC put out recently, would that be an alright place to get my feet wet with that era or is there something better?

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.
Has anyone read the Crimson Dynamo mini-series where a kid (Gennady Gavrilov) accidentally activates the Dynamo armor? Does it get the goon thumbs up?

How does it compare to the Juston Seyfert mini-series?

Saeku
Sep 22, 2010
Thanks for the recommendations for psychedelic comics, folks. Finally got a chance to of through all of them.

Jack Kirby's Fourth World: already read and enjoyed this.
Casanova: a bit cerebral and I didn't find any of the characters likeable. Didn't bother continuing after Luxuria, but the writing was snappy enough that I'm ordering Hawkeye and Sex Criminals.
Moon Knight (2014): I always thought Moon Knight had a great hook, but dropped the 2006 series because he felt like a generic "gritty" vigilante. This is first single issue I've bought in years and years, on the strength of the beautiful cover and Waren Ellis's name. There's not much content for me to judge yet, but it's an insanely pretty book with a much more distinctive plot and milieu than the 2006 iteration. Very atmospheric. Not really what I was thinking of but I'm hooked.
X-Men: Legacy (2012): colourful, intriguing, and trippy while still a breezy and comprehensible read, and accessible to me despite my total lack of X-Men knowledge. Absolutely perfect recommendation, can't wait for the final volume.

Baby Broomer posted:

If you like Ennis's Hellblazer run and haven't already read Preacher, you should check it out. It's got the same sort of down-to-earth dark humour and is widely considered one of Ennis's best works.

---

edit: Oh yeah, and I could use more recs -- had a great time this week with X-Men: Legacy, Superior Spider-Man, the Superior Foes of Spider-Man, and the X-Men First Class movie. I'm really into these kinds of storylines where the focus is less on whether or not the hero will win a given fight, and more about the internal conflicts that drive heros and villains. Any more character-focused books I should be getting into? (Not involving Batman. I've already read a lot of introspective books about Batman.)

Saeku fucked around with this message at 00:24 on Apr 3, 2014

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Saeku posted:

Thanks for the recommendations for psychedelic comics, folks. Finally got a chance to of through all of them.

Jack Kirby's Fourth World: already read and enjoyed this.
Casanova: a bit cerebral and I didn't find any of the characters likeable. Didn't bother continuing after Luxuria, but the writing was snappy enough that I'm ordering Hawkeye and Sex Criminals.
Moon Knight (2014): I always thought Moon Knight had a great hook, but dropped the 2006 series because he felt like a generic "gritty" vigilante. This is first single issue I've bought in years and years, on the strength of the beautiful cover and Waren Ellis's name. There's not much content for me to judge yet, but it's an insanely pretty book with a much more distinctive plot and milieu than the 2006 iteration. Very atmospheric. Not really what I was thinking of but I'm hooked.
X-Men: Legacy (2012): colourful, intriguing, and trippy while still a breezy and comprehensible read, and accessible to me despite my total lack of X-Men knowledge. Absolutely perfect recommendation, can't wait for the final volume.

If you like Ennis's Hellblazer run and haven't already read Preacher, you should check it out. It's got the same sort of down-to-earth dark humour and is widely considered one of Ennis's best works.

---

edit: Oh yeah, and I could use more recs -- had a great time this week with X-Men: Legacy, Superior Spider-Man, the Superior Foes of Spider-Man, and the X-Men First Class movie. I'm really into these kinds of storylines where the focus is less on whether or not the hero will win a given fight, and more about the internal conflicts that drive heros and villains. Any more character-focused books I should be getting into? (Not involving Batman. I've already read a lot of introspective books about Batman.)

Since you dug Moon Knight I'm going to throw out a couple other Ellis books Fell was a sadly short lived book about a cop working in the worst town, and NextWave was a fun little book about a highly dysfunctional group of heroes, most of them from forgotten corners of Marvel's past.

For more introspective stuff with super heroes both Bendis's classic run on Daredevil and Mark Waid's current run deal with that kinda stuff. Alias, also by Bendis dealt with all the baggage surrounding being a(n ex) superhero.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

There's a Geoff Johns sale on at Comixology.
https://www.comixology.com/Aquaman-by-Geoff-Johns-Sale/page/1395

I've already ordered the JSA omnibus, so how was his Hawkman?

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Saeku posted:

Superman - Secret Identity is a fantastic, completely non-canon story that's all about what Clark Kent wants in life.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
How is Geoff Johns's Superman stuff with Gary Frank?

I'm asking mostly because I like Gary Frank. :shobon:

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

I liked Superman and the Legion of Superheroes a lot, but it's not in the sale.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,
you shouldn't have signed it.

Baby Broomer posted:

After you've finished with Punisher Max follow up with Fury Max: My War Gone By. It some of Ennis' best stuff and I comfortably falls under PunisherMax/Hellblazer rather than The Boys. It's one of my favourite books of the last few years. Also while not Ennis I would suggest you try the similarly named PunisherMAX (all one word) by Jason Aaron and Steve Dillion which is a continuation of sorts to Ennis' run and really great.

Saeku posted:

Just echoing previous suggestions but Daredevil by Brian Bendis and Alex Maleev is the definitive street level superhero book, which while he fights bad dudes, is at it's core about how the main character suffers a nervous breakdown after his girlfriend is killed and how he tries to react as his secret identity is outed and he goes beyond breaking point. Alias by Bendis and Gaydos is similar in that it's about a former superhero attempting to readjust to life after a horrible event which forced her to hang up her costume.

Metal Loaf posted:

How is Geoff Johns's Superman stuff with Gary Frank?

I'm asking mostly because I like Gary Frank. :shobon:

It's alright. Frank does his usual thing which looks a bit weird when young Clark kind of looks a bit like bobbleheaded Christopher Reeves and it falls under revamping Superman's origin just before Nu52 happens and erases it.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer
Since everything's coming up Deathlok these days, how good is the Dwayne McDuffie solo series from the early 90s? Do I want to bother tracking down cheap back issues?

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
After watching the Lego movie it occurred to me that I've never read any Green Lantern. Where do I start?

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

With the modern Geoff Johns era?
Start with the Green Lantern Rebirth miniseries (which is pretty confusing in itself, trying to re-introduce Hal who'd been The Specter for years.)
Then his whole Green Lantern run through to the New 52 series up to #20 where he left.
That includes lots of crossovers with Green Lantern Corps and Emerald Warriors, Blackest Night, so it's probably way easier to read in trades that group all that stuff together, which are...

Green Lantern Rebirth, No Fear, Revenge of the Green Lanterns, Wanted: Hal Jordan, Sinestro Corps War, Secret Origin, Rage of the Red Lanterns, Agent Orange, Blackest Night + Green Lantern: Blackest Night (the main BN miniseries and GL issues running in-between are in different trades), GL: Brightest Day (just the GL issues. You don't need to read the actual Brightest Day series), War of the Green Lanterns.
New volume:
Sinestro, Revenge of the Black Hand, The End.

You could also get into reading Green Lantern Corps at the same time. I usually liked it more than the main GL. Starts with 'GLC: Recharge', then the trade volumes.

From #21 of the N52 series there are new writers across the board with a new status quo. You could jump on there, but it's best you do the Johns stuff.
I think the new GL is terrible, but from #21 Red Lanterns got great (It's written by the guy who's also doing Swamp Thing and She-Hulk, which are great too.)

There's also the 70's Green Lantern/Green Arrow team-up that got all up in the social issues of the day, which is classic.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 10:32 on Apr 7, 2014

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
I've been playing Spider-Man: Shattered Dimensions lately, and I was wondering if any of the Spider-Man 2099 runs were good and if Spider-Man Noir is any good?

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Franchescanado posted:

I've been playing Spider-Man: Shattered Dimensions lately, and I was wondering if any of the Spider-Man 2099 runs were good and if Spider-Man Noir is any good?

2099 actually still holds up pretty well and is worth checking out. For Noir the first one is really good, but the second's quite a bit weaker.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Franchescanado posted:

I've been playing Spider-Man: Shattered Dimensions lately, and I was wondering if any of the Spider-Man 2099 runs were good
Peter David wrote the entirety of the series (with the exception of the last two issues, but at that point, things had gone to hell behind the scenes). The first half (through #25) is the strongest; having Rick Leonardi on art for that whole chunk didn't hurt either. They both also worked on a prestige one-shot called Spider-Man 2099 Meets Spider-Man which is a great solo story.

A new SM2099 series is just about to start, also written by PAD.

redbackground fucked around with this message at 15:06 on Apr 8, 2014

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I just read Strong Female Protagonist and really liked it, are there other superhero webcomics that are worth reading? I looked in the webcomic thread, but SFP was lumped in with "fantasy" and I looked through the lists but didn't see anything that seemed to fit.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

zoux posted:

I just read Strong Female Protagonist and really liked it, are there other superhero webcomics that are worth reading? I looked in the webcomic thread, but SFP was lumped in with "fantasy" and I looked through the lists but didn't see anything that seemed to fit.

Doctor McNinja?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Skwirl posted:

Doctor McNinja?

Doc McNinja is good, but it's not really what I'm looking for. What I liked about SFP, besides the interesting and unusual characterization of the heroes/villians, is the exploration of how ridiculously overpowered beings would interact with the real world as we experience, and how punching big robots really doesn't address any of the real big problems the world faces. It's similar to what I liked about the Ultimates, except it looked more at how superbeings would affect geopolitics, which is something that mainstream supercomics kind of gloss over.

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

I want to pick up some new Marvel trades and I'm not sure what to get. I'm getting Captain Marvel and Hawkeye because I heard good things about them. I read Captain America Winter Solder and liked that. I also love how the recent Marvel Movies embrace how goofy and weird their world is and doesn't even attempt to be The Dark Knight. Are their any other marvel characters you guys reccomend?

BigRed0427 fucked around with this message at 22:54 on Apr 12, 2014

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

BigRed0427 posted:

I want to pick up some new Marvel trades and I'm not sure what to get. I'm getting Captain Marvel and Hawkeye because I heard good things about them. I read Captain America and liked that. I also love how the recent Marvel Movies embrace how goofy and weird their world is and doesn't even attempt to be The Dark Knight. Are their any other marvel characters you guys reccomend?

Thor: God of Thunder. The first two trades. The whole God Butcher arc is as far as I am concerned the best book to come out of NOW. It's entirely self-contained and rad as hell.

SMP
May 5, 2009

Hakkesshu posted:

Thor: God of Thunder. The first two trades. The whole God Butcher arc is as far as I am concerned the best book to come out of NOW. It's entirely self-contained and rad as hell.

Seconding this. Thor: GOT's god butcher arc is actually what got me into comics.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
The art also consists entirly of the most metal van paintings imaginable.