Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Thirding Thor

The opening arc from the new volume of Captain America (Castaway in Dimension Z) is amazing.

The current Avengers/New Avengers series' aren't close to as light hearted as the movie was, but it's some good, heady, conceptual sci-fi stuff.

For some great comic reading, I'd recommend going through Jonathan Hickman's Fantastic Four, then Matt (Hawkeye) Fraction's 'FF' (meaning FF, not Fantastic Four. FF is a side book to Fantastic Four but it barely crosses over and is much better.)
You could jump right into Fraction's FF. It's ridiculous fun, but Hickman's stuff was amazing too and sets up a lot of the characters.

Also, even though it gets way dark, I gotta rec Rick Remender(Cap America)'s Uncanny X-Force from a few years ago. I think it's the best series Marvel has published in recent history.
There's a new volume of it from another writer. Forget about that.

e: And Ultimate Spider-Man. It's in another universe, but is 100% the best Spider-Man going. You could pick it up from when the main character changed http://www.amazon.com/Ultimate-Comi...mate+Spider-man

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 10:04 on Apr 13, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SMP
May 5, 2009

Teenage Fansub posted:

The current Avengers/New Avengers series' aren't close to as light hearted as the movie was, but it's some good, heady, conceptual sci-fi stuff.

For some great comic reading, I'd recommend going through Jonathan Hickman's Fantastic Four,

Speaking of this...

I caught up on Hickman's Avengers/New Avengers/Avengers World stuff so far and it's amazing. New Avengers in particular. I love the themes and mood in New Avengers. I enjoy the crazy sci-fi concept and the way it's getting out of control. The villains in NA are great (most notably the Black Swan and Black Priests), issue #15 was particularly great for showing all the alternate universe in which things have gone horribly wrong and they get a better idea of what they're dealing with.

I'm a huge fan of Hickman now. I'm reading his Fantastic Four run at the moment and plan on checking out his other creator owned projects, but where do I go after that? I guess what I'm looking for is long-form sci-fi that gets real dark.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
Have you read Ellis? Hickman (and Fraction) is pretty much taking what Ellis has done in the 00's and running with those ideas. Read his Planetary, especially since you are reading Fantastic Four.

I'd also recommend checking out Fraction's Casanova series. It's crazy sci-fi meets James Bond meets pop culture.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

SMP posted:

Speaking of this...

I caught up on Hickman's Avengers/New Avengers/Avengers World stuff so far and it's amazing. New Avengers in particular. I love the themes and mood in New Avengers. I enjoy the crazy sci-fi concept and the way it's getting out of control. The villains in NA are great (most notably the Black Swan and Black Priests), issue #15 was particularly great for showing all the alternate universe in which things have gone horribly wrong and they get a better idea of what they're dealing with.

I'm a huge fan of Hickman now. I'm reading his Fantastic Four run at the moment and plan on checking out his other creator owned projects, but where do I go after that? I guess what I'm looking for is long-form sci-fi that gets real dark.

Annihilation and then the Abnett / Lanning cosmic stuff is really good, different in tone than Hickman, but it goes to some dark places. Seconding Planetary also.

SMP
May 5, 2009

Planetary sounds pretty great and Casanova's art looks pretty great. I'll definitely check both out.

Skwirl posted:

Annihilation and then the Abnett / Lanning cosmic stuff is really good, different in tone than Hickman, but it goes to some dark places. Seconding Planetary also.

Forgot to mention I've read Annihilation/Annihilation: Conquest/War & Realm of Kings/Thanos Imperative/Annihilators too.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
Can anyone recommend some really good recent miniseries or one-shots, or any generally stand-alone stories? A chain of local comic shops has one day a year where you can bring them any unwanted comics for $2 in back issue credit (up to four per store, so $8 in free back issues per store). I only buy trades and I'm done with binding, so I'm just interested in cool stuff to read. Last year I picked up the singles of Before Watchmen: Minutemen (liked it) and First Wave (hated it).

Is Five Ghosts any good? I'm just looking for things where I might get a complete, satisfying story if I end up with four or six individual issues.

Daric
Dec 23, 2007

Shawn:
Do you really want to know my process?

Lassiter:
Absolutely.

Shawn:
Well it starts with a holla! and ends with a Creamsicle.
I've read 28 issues of Ultimate Comics: Spider-man with Miles Morales as Spider-Man and it says The End. Next Cataclysm! at the end of the last one.

What else follows Miles as Spider-Man? I haven't read comics in a long time so I don't know all the crossover stuff and big events. I just like this kid as Spider-Man and want to read more with him if there is any.

Shawn
Feb 6, 2003

I yiffed two people at once and all I got was laughed at.

Daric posted:

I've read 28 issues of Ultimate Comics: Spider-man with Miles Morales as Spider-Man and it says The End. Next Cataclysm! at the end of the last one.

What else follows Miles as Spider-Man? I haven't read comics in a long time so I don't know all the crossover stuff and big events. I just like this kid as Spider-Man and want to read more with him if there is any.

Ultimate Spider-man: Cataclysm, which is 3 issues long, and then in a week or so Miles Morales: Ultimate Spider-man

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

Can anyone recommend some really good recent miniseries or one-shots, or any generally stand-alone stories? A chain of local comic shops has one day a year where you can bring them any unwanted comics for $2 in back issue credit (up to four per store, so $8 in free back issues per store). I only buy trades and I'm done with binding, so I'm just interested in cool stuff to read. Last year I picked up the singles of Before Watchmen: Minutemen (liked it) and First Wave (hated it).

Is Five Ghosts any good? I'm just looking for things where I might get a complete, satisfying story if I end up with four or six individual issues.

Like, the last couple years?

Batman/Superman's recent Annual is a one-shot, and pretty good. Issues 1-4 are also a good stand-alone story with stunning art.
That's written by Greg Pak's who also recently finished his first arc on Action Comics (25-29) which is even better and requires nothing going in. It leaves some stuff hanging at the end for future stories, but it should work. The two series don't tie-in at all, btw.

Thor: God of Thunder's opening year of story is completely isolated and amazing, but 11 issues might be too much. I hope not. It's the best.

edit: Trillium! I just read that in one go. It's eight issues, but one complete thing, all by itself. A time traveling sci-fi love story from Jeff (Sweet Tooth, Animal Man) Lemire that you have to read upside down and back to front. It's a great time.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 12:33 on Apr 17, 2014

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Shawn posted:

Ultimate Spider-man: Cataclysm, which is 3 issues long, and then in a week or so Miles Morales: Ultimate Spider-man
Also, Ultimate Spider-Man #200 which came out last week.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Daric posted:

Did you get Spider-men? Its Miles meeting our Pete.

Bikini Quilt
Jul 28, 2013
Possibly a weird question, but what are some options I could look at in the horror genre? 30 Days of Night was good (and Ben Templesmith is a wonderful artist), the Silent Hill comics are really hit-or-miss, and beyond that I'm kind of at a loss for stuff to look for. There seems to be a lot of "fantasy with horror elements" type thing, but I'm more interested in modern settings.

Bonus points for art in the vein of Templesmith or Mignola - I prefer stylized art to hyperrealistic stuff for the most part.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Full Fathoms Five posted:

Possibly a weird question, but what are some options I could look at in the horror genre? 30 Days of Night was good (and Ben Templesmith is a wonderful artist), the Silent Hill comics are really hit-or-miss, and beyond that I'm kind of at a loss for stuff to look for. There seems to be a lot of "fantasy with horror elements" type thing, but I'm more interested in modern settings.

Bonus points for art in the vein of Templesmith or Mignola - I prefer stylized art to hyperrealistic stuff for the most part.

It's not a weird question! Check out our horror comics thread, lots of great stuff in there.

Bikini Quilt
Jul 28, 2013

Hakkesshu posted:

It's not a weird question! Check out our horror comics thread, lots of great stuff in there.

Awesome, no idea how I missed that!

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Full Fathoms Five posted:

I imagine Dylan Dog is mentioned in that thread, but you can get The Dylan Dog Case Files, which is a digest sized compendium of the 7 different stories that Dark Horse translated into English.

It's 680 pages and at $17 dollars used that's a lot of comic for your buck.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer
I'm sure this came up in the old thread, but I'll re-ask it just in case.

I've never had an interest in DC characters as a whole. After playing through Injustice, that's changed. Are there any good DC Universe stories that I would like that includes a large cast of heroes and villians like Injustice?

Also, what's are some good Flash arcs and Aquaman arcs?

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Franchescanado posted:

I've never had an interest in DC characters as a whole. After playing through Injustice, that's changed. Are there any good DC Universe stories that I would like that includes a large cast of heroes and villians like Injustice?

The best Flash arcs are probably Geoff Johns' late '90s/early 2000s run featuring Wally West as Flash, Mark Waid's early-mid '90s run that immediately preceded Johns' (also with Wally West), and the recent "New 52" Francis Manapul run featuring Barry Allen as Flash, starting from Flash #1. I don't think the writing is nearly as good in Manapul's run, but his art is absolutely stunning -- some of the best art that has come out of DC in the last decade.

As for large casts, I would have to recommend Grant Morrison's JLA run from the late '90s for cinematic, epic action featuring DC's superstar heroes, Darwyn Cooke's New Frontier, a beautifully-drawn period piece set in the early 1960s, and a series called 52, featuring several somewhat lesser-known heroes during a year when Superman, Batman, and Wonder Woman dropped out of sight, written by four of DC's top writers (Morrison, Johns, Waid, and Greg Rucka).

Comedy option (although it is really good): Keith Giffen and J.M. DeMatteis' Justice League International, kind of a sitcom take on superheroes from the late '80s, with lots of character development and comic relief.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Kingdom Come is great. But does it depend too much on general DC knowledge to really get? I thought it was really accessible as a teen without having read much DC (or comics) at the time and it's out of continuity.

Shawn
Feb 6, 2003

I yiffed two people at once and all I got was laughed at.

Franchescanado posted:

If you like Injustice you should check out the actual book for Injustice. It's one of the least terrible things that DC has put out in recent times. I see that you ask for things in universe, but that's another rabbit hole.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Franchescanado posted:

Do what's in the first reply, then for Aquaman start the current series at #1. It's pretty good.

Earth 2, you might want to read if you're getting on the Injustice series just because it's been taken over by the Injustice comic's writer and has become very Injustice-y, and is a pretty neat ensemble book anyway.
It's on an alternate world where their Superman/Batman/Wonder Woman trinity had died prior to the series starting.

The current Justice League series has not been great, except during an Aquaman crossover, and you'll get those issues in the Aquaman collections anyway.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Uthor posted:

Kingdom Come is great. But does it depend too much on general DC knowledge to really get? I thought it was really accessible as a teen without having read much DC (or comics) at the time and it's out of continuity.
It doesn't *really* but there's definitely parts that are better with more knowledge of DC comics, especially anything Captain Marvel related, who is both very important to the story and nowhere near as well-known as Superman, Batman, or Wonder Woman.

Doc Fission
Sep 11, 2011

Hi guys, I have basically no comics knowledge of the Green Lantern mythos outside of catch-all stuff you'd pick up from JLA comics and the DCAU. I saw some interesting panels floating around about the former friendship between Hal Jordan and Sinestro--I'm worried I might be asking for a lot here, but I'm interested in reading about how they met and then later became enemies, which I guess pares down to the origin of the Sinestro Corps? I guess what I'm asking for first is, can someone give me a reading order for some Sinestro backstory?

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Without going into comics from the 60's, Geoff Johns had an arc part way through his run called 'Secret Origin' which detailed Hal and Sinestro's first patrols together.
You could start with that, then go back to the beginning of Geoff's run with Green Lantern Rebirth to see the return of Sinestro (and Hal for that matter), then work your way through to the Sinestro Corps War event.
Then there's Sinestro taking over as primary Green Lantern in the beginning of the New 52 series. It's a long run inbetween, but maybe you'll be into the series enough to get through it all.

e: Hey. That Secret Origin arc is on sale right now. https://www.comixology.com/Secret-Origin-Sale/page/1613

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 12:40 on Apr 22, 2014

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Reading about OMAC:
http://comicsalliance.com/bizarro-back-issues-omac-and-the-city-of-the-super-rich-1974/

Is there a good collection of the comics that I can check out? I liked Kirby's Fourth World Omnibus tpbs and something like that would be great.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

There's something exactly like that http://www.amazon.com/Jack-Kirbys-O-M-C-Corps/dp/1401240429/ref=tmm_pap_swatch_0?_encoding=UTF8&sr=&qid=

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Duh, should have checked, first. $15! Thanks!

Edit: I hope it's more New Gods and less Jimmy Olsen.

Uthor fucked around with this message at 02:33 on Apr 22, 2014

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
James Robinson's Starman question: I'm really interested in reading this series the whole way through since it's so highly recommended (I liked Robinson's short JSA run and I've read a few assorted issues of Starman, but it's my understanding it's much better when you read the whole thing from start to finish), but the first few omnibus editions are tough to get in hardcover (especially the third one). Can anybody tell me if the TPBs are worth looking into as an alternative? I've heard they leave out a few issues across the run.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Metal Loaf posted:

James Robinson's Starman question: I'm really interested in reading this series the whole way through since it's so highly recommended (I liked Robinson's short JSA run and I've read a few assorted issues of Starman, but it's my understanding it's much better when you read the whole thing from start to finish), but the first few omnibus editions are tough to get in hardcover (especially the third one). Can anybody tell me if the TPBs are worth looking into as an alternative? I've heard they leave out a few issues across the run.

The omnibus are the way to go, but the third one is impossible to find at a decent price since they made the hc go OOP, then cancelled the soft cover.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

So glad I found that for cover price in Annapolis on a random trip out there.

Sistergodiva
Jan 3, 2006

I'm like you,
I have no shame.

So I just finished Batman - Hush and it was loving awesome. Also loved the long halloween. Is there anything else like this? I don't know a lot of the Batman badguys so Hush was awesome in that it gave backstory and stuff every time someone was introduced. Would be awesome with something that either has a lot of different bad guys or maybe go into more detail about some of them. I've only really read through Batman: Year one, The Dark Knight Returns, the long halloween and Hush, it's just so hard to choose between everything.

Would also be nice to read something that gave a bit of backstory on the different Robins and Batgirl and stuff, since I mix up those a lot, though I'm not really sure I would like something that is centered on one of them instead of Batman, but if there is anything I could give it a try.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Sistergodiva posted:

So I just finished Batman - Hush and it was loving awesome. Also loved the long halloween. Is there anything else like this? I don't know a lot of the Batman badguys so Hush was awesome in that it gave backstory and stuff every time someone was introduced. Would be awesome with something that either has a lot of different bad guys or maybe go into more detail about some of them. I've only really read through Batman: Year one, The Dark Knight Returns, the long halloween and Hush, it's just so hard to choose between everything.

Would also be nice to read something that gave a bit of backstory on the different Robins and Batgirl and stuff, since I mix up those a lot, though I'm not really sure I would like something that is centered on one of them instead of Batman, but if there is anything I could give it a try.

There's a digital sale on right now for Robin and Batgirl Year One miniseries. https://www.comixology.com/Secret-Origin-Sale/page/1613

There was another Hush storyline collected in 'Heart of Hush'.

The current awesome 'Zero Year' storyline in Batman has been a year long run involving The Riddler as Batman and Gotham's first major foe. That started in #21 and this will be it's first trade http://www.amazon.com/Batman-Vol-Zero-Year-Secret-City/dp/1401245080

There isn't a total focus on villains, but diving into Grant Morrison's years long run may give you the best lot of Batman stories you'll ever read. The trades start from 'Batman and Son'. Here's a reading list: http://www.amazon.com/Grant-Morrisons-Batman-Run/lm/R5KPZVDQOS8L1 (you can skip 1,2,4 and maybe 7)

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 01:07 on Apr 24, 2014

Sistergodiva
Jan 3, 2006

I'm like you,
I have no shame.

Teenage Fansub posted:

There's a digital sale on right now for Robin and Batgirl Year One miniseries. https://www.comixology.com/Secret-Origin-Sale/page/1613

There was another Hush storyline collected in 'Heart of Hush'.

The current awesome 'Zero Year' storyline in Batman has been a year long run involving The Riddler as Batman and Gotham's first major foe. That started in #21 and this will be it's first trade http://www.amazon.com/Batman-Vol-Zero-Year-Secret-City/dp/1401245080

There isn't a total focus on villains, but diving into Grant Morrison's years long run may give you the best lot of Batman stories you'll ever read. The trades start from 'Batman and Son'. Here's a reading list: http://www.amazon.com/Grant-Morrisons-Batman-Run/lm/R5KPZVDQOS8L1 (you can skip 1,2,4 and maybe 7)

Thanks! I've never really been into comics, so no idea how it works, but a trade is like a collection right? And there are several different versions of the comic running at one time? That list seems awesome, gonna see if amazon.com ships to Sweden, I know they don't ship videogames etc, but maybe comics are ok.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

In general, yes, a trade is a collection of individual issues (there are original graphic novels (OGNs) that are written for the book format, but rare from the Big Two).

As for different versions, it's best not to think about it too hard. Usually, there is only one main book going but some characters are popular and have multiple titles. Those can be various things from telling related stories to telling separate stories that still "count" to telling stories in different points in a character's history to telling stories in alternate realities that don't (usually) affect each other.

(I believe the current DC universe is currently putting out stories set "now" and stories set at the beginning of characters' careers.).

Just find the good books and trust that the characters are fundamentally the same without worrying about how it all fits together. That way lies madness.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Sistergodiva posted:

Thanks! I've never really been into comics, so no idea how it works, but a trade is like a collection right? And there are several different versions of the comic running at one time? That list seems awesome, gonna see if amazon.com ships to Sweden, I know they don't ship videogames etc, but maybe comics are ok.

There's gotta be a Swedish online book seller that will get you collections locally.
If all fails and you have a tablet, that stuff is all available digitally at https://www.comixology.com

Since 1940 there have always been more than one Batman book with different creative teams telling their different Bat stories at the same time, so while the main book has been set in the past for a year, a couple of others are telling the current day stuff. With the weekly series that just started, there might be too much Batman at the moment.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 01:41 on Apr 24, 2014

Sistergodiva
Jan 3, 2006

I'm like you,
I have no shame.

Teenage Fansub posted:

There's gotta be a Swedish online book seller that will get you collections locally.
If all fails and you have a tablet, that stuff is all available digitally at https://www.comixology.com

Since 1940 there have always been more than one Batman book with different creative teams telling their different Bat stories at the same time, so while the main book has been set in the past for a year, a couple of other people are telling the current day stuff.
There's also a weekly series that just started. There might be too much Batman going on at the moment.

Mostly that your prices are so awesome, but I guess I would save on the shipping and maybe fees.

Going to check out Batman and Son and continue from there if I like it. So far I've never really read any Batman that I didn't like, of course I've been reading stuff from the recommendations so...

Is there any other superhero I should get into if I like Batman? I mean except his sidekicks and allies. I've never really liked any of the ones I know as much as Batman since I love the whole gritty feeling and the fact that he's just a "normal" human doing awesome poo poo with gadgets and training.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
If your thing is more "normal guy" and not just "grim & gritty", check out Hawkeye from Marvel. He's just a dude with a bow rescuing dogs, fighting track-suited mobsters and making a total mess of his life.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Sistergodiva posted:

Is there any other superhero I should get into if I like Batman?

I haven't actually read into it, but the new Moon Knight series from Marvel is reportedly awesome https://www.comixology.com/Moon-Knight-2014/comics-series/15006

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
Gotham Central is a really good low-level Batman series (except the Bat-family isn't in it much).

Veg
Oct 13, 2008

:smug::smug::xd:
The New 52 Batman series, written by Scott Snyder, is literally the best starting point for Batman and villains.

The first 11 issues covers Batman fighting a new foe and explains where he came from etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moai Ou
May 18, 2004

WE LOVE SHOOTING GAMES!

Fun Shoe
A friend of mine wants to get into comics, but generally only reads true crime books. The only true crime comic I can think of is Bendis' Torso. Are there any others out there?

Failing true crime books, any other good crime stuff? I've already loaned her Criminal, and planning on Jinx. Gotham Central & Bendis & Brubaker's Daredevil are on my short list too.