Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
A few bits in Gotham Central are about how frustrated the GCPD feel about having to work around the vigilantes in the city, including telling them to their face.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brocktoon
Jul 18, 2006

Before we engage we should hang back and study their tactics.
Powers, Gotham Central, X-Force/X-Statix and Bendis' DD are all great suggestions. You may also like Top 10, which is about the police force in a world where everyone has superpowers, making them somewhat mundane. Or maybe Alias, which is Bendis' series about a former superheroine who is now a private eye.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Seeing as I just got paid the other day, I was thinking about getting the new Roger Stern Spider-Man omnibus, but I was also considering getting the two West Coast Avengers omniboo (since I've seen one of them really cheap).

Which would be the better choice? I like Stern's Avengers but I've not read a great deal of what Englehart's done.

A Tin Of Beans
Nov 25, 2013

Can anyone recommend some good Namor-centric storylines, or just plots where he features heavily?

I read the Fear Itself tie-in, which was pretty fun in terms of ridiculous teamups, and I got through all of Namor: The First Mutant, as well, which I quite liked. I also read Sub-Mariner: The Deep, which had the most breathtaking art ever but obviously wasn't typical Namor.

Not liking the New Invaders run too much, though I keep trying. The writing just feels kind of clunky.

I'm up for classics or more recent stuff. If there's anything that doesn't involve half the population of Atlantis getting slaughtered for the billionth time, that'd be awesome. :downs:

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Metal Loaf posted:

Seeing as I just got paid the other day, I was thinking about getting the new Roger Stern Spider-Man omnibus, but I was also considering getting the two West Coast Avengers omniboo (since I've seen one of them really cheap).

Which would be the better choice? I like Stern's Avengers but I've not read a great deal of what Englehart's done.

West Coast Avengers had moments of goodness, but there were a lot of mediocre issues. I can't recommend it without lots of caveats.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I might give Spider-Man by Stern a go, then.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

A Tin Of Beans posted:

Can anyone recommend some good Namor-centric storylines, or just plots where he features heavily?

I read the Fear Itself tie-in, which was pretty fun in terms of ridiculous teamups, and I got through all of Namor: The First Mutant, as well, which I quite liked. I also read Sub-Mariner: The Deep, which had the most breathtaking art ever but obviously wasn't typical Namor.

Not liking the New Invaders run too much, though I keep trying. The writing just feels kind of clunky.

I'm up for classics or more recent stuff. If there's anything that doesn't involve half the population of Atlantis getting slaughtered for the billionth time, that'd be awesome. :downs:

Are you reading all new invaders or new invaders? One just started an not that bad, and the other is Austen.

A Tin Of Beans
Nov 25, 2013

bobkatt013 posted:

Are you reading all new invaders or new invaders? One just started an not that bad, and the other is Austen.

I meant All-New Invaders, sorry. The one currently running. I only read the first two, has it picked up a bit?

Anime_Otaku
Dec 6, 2009

Brocktoon posted:

Powers, Gotham Central, X-Force/X-Statix and Bendis' DD are all great suggestions. You may also like Top 10, which is about the police force in a world where everyone has superpowers, making them somewhat mundane. Or maybe Alias, which is Bendis' series about a former superheroine who is now a private eye.

Enjoying Powers, Gotham Central and DD so far. Can't find X-statix on Comixology though X-Force shows up. I've read book one of Top 10 but can't seem to track down book 2 or a digital version. Going to give Alias a go.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Anime_Otaku posted:

Enjoying Powers, Gotham Central and DD so far. Can't find X-statix on Comixology though X-Force shows up. I've read book one of Top 10 but can't seem to track down book 2 or a digital version. Going to give Alias a go.

Well the Milligan/Allred X-Force starts in X-Force #116 and runs through #129 so that's a good chunk of comics.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

Anime_Otaku posted:

The X-Statix stuff starts on X-Force #116, and you can find it on Marvel Unlimited. I'm pretty sure Alias isn't digital since it is MAX but the omni for it is getting a reprint.

zoux posted:

Well the Milligan/Allred X-Force starts in X-Force #116 and runs through #129 so that's a good chunk of comics.
After 129 it continues in a book actually called X-Statix.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

A Tin Of Beans posted:

I meant All-New Invaders, sorry. The one currently running. I only read the first two, has it picked up a bit?

I am enjoying it but it might be I am just happy to see Bucky in a monthly title again.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Senor Candle posted:

The X-Statix stuff starts on X-Force #116, and you can find it on Marvel Unlimited. I'm pretty sure Alias isn't digital since it is MAX but the omni for it is getting a reprint.

After 129 it continues in a book actually called X-Statix.

Right but he was saying X-Statix wasn't on Comixology.

Marvel Unlimited also doesn't have Alias, but if you are just trying to catch a few runs here and there and don't care about owning digital copies, a month's worth of Unlimited is like 8 bucks and you can read sooo much stuff.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

zoux posted:

Right but he was saying X-Statix wasn't on Comixology.

Marvel Unlimited also doesn't have Alias, but if you are just trying to catch a few runs here and there and don't care about owning digital copies, a month's worth of Unlimited is like 8 bucks and you can read sooo much stuff.

That's why I said the things I said in my post.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Punisher recommendations? Preferably stuff not "drawn" by Ariel Olavetti.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

zoux posted:

I really enjoyed Garth Ennis' violent and darkly humorous Marvel Knights Punisher run (there is an Omnibus) and what I've read of his more serious and mature Punisher MAX run.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
I really, really liked Greg Rucka's recent run.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

The Ennis max run is the best hands down. Remender's is also good, if you're into weird stuff

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Opopanax posted:

The Ennis max run is the best hands down. Remender's is also good, if you're into weird stuff

Isn't the Remender run also Olivetti's?

Also Unlimited doesn't have Max stuff for some reason.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

Opopanax posted:

The Ennis max run is the best hands down.

The few pages Fury shows up in the Russia story arc were amazing and insane.

sporklift
Aug 3, 2008

Feelin' it so hard.

So I have the three Brubaker Captain America Omnis and it seems unlikely that a fourth is coming out. What trades do I need to complete the run?

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

sporklift posted:

So I have the three Brubaker Captain America Omnis and it seems unlikely that a fourth is coming out. What trades do I need to complete the run?

Two Americas
No Escape
The Trial of Captain America
Prisoner of War

Then there's two trades of 'Captain America and Bucky', four trades of Vol. 6 and the 'Steve Rogers: Super Soldier' miniseries

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

zoux posted:

Punisher Max by Garth Ennis (Born, 1-60, Barracuda, From First to Last)
PunisherMAX by Jason Aaron (1-22)
and
The Punisher: G-Force, which has the best cover of all time.

Marvel Universe vs. The Punisher is pretty fun, too. There's a good sequel, too (vs. Wolverine).

redbackground fucked around with this message at 14:36 on May 2, 2014

Yivgev
May 19, 2004

i brought my +1 ak-47

Hi goons. I read DMZ and I really enjoyed it, and also looked at the FUBAR comic for free comic book day. I was wondering if anyone has any recommendations for any other war-themed or military-themed comics?

sporklift
Aug 3, 2008

Feelin' it so hard.

Teenage Fansub posted:

Two Americas
No Escape
The Trial of Captain America
Prisoner of War

Then there's two trades of 'Captain America and Bucky', four trades of Vol. 6 and the 'Steve Rogers: Super Soldier' miniseries

Wow. That's a lot of books. All of them worth reading?

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

zoux posted:

If you don't mind a team book, check out Thunderbolts from whenever Soule took over. It's really good.

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib
What are some good books featuring Rockslide? Any time period is fine; I just want to see more of him after seeing some panels of him around here and in Avengers Academy.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

DoubleDonut posted:

What are some good books featuring Rockslide? Any time period is fine; I just want to see more of him after seeing some panels of him around here and in Avengers Academy.

New X men (not Morrison's) and he's in Generation Hope a bit. His best all time panel is in one of the X men Fear Itself tie ins though.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

I've been reading over some of the Stan Lee era X-Men stuff from those Essentials and maybe I'm just not as emotionally invested in the characters as, say, Spider-Man. Is there any point that this stuff is worth reading and it gets actually good with a plot?

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

notthegoatseguy posted:

I've been reading over some of the Stan Lee era X-Men stuff from those Essentials and maybe I'm just not as emotionally invested in the characters as, say, Spider-Man. Is there any point that this stuff is worth reading and it gets actually good with a plot?

Not really. It's been a while since I've read it, but it's generally just "In this week's issue the X-Men fight another weird circus villain" or The Living Pharaoh or some poo poo like that. It's just really uninteresting compared to Giant Size X-Men #1.

Edit: Thinking on it, I want to say the first appearance of Sauron is worth reading, as I remember it having pretty awesome art for the time by Neal Adams. That's the only story that stands out in my mind right now, though. I don't remember how many issues he did, but it's somewhere in the 50s/60s.

Hakkesshu fucked around with this message at 13:58 on May 8, 2014

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

notthegoatseguy posted:

Nope!

Stan Lee X-Men is pretty skippable, sadly. Hell, starting at #67, it just fell into reprints because nobody gave a poo poo about it until Giant Size #1.

redbackground fucked around with this message at 14:37 on May 8, 2014

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

redbackground posted:

Stan Lee X-Men is pretty skippable, sadly. Hell, starting at #67, it just fell into reprints because nobody gave a poo poo about it until Giant Size #1.

Remarkably enough, if you look at the letters pages reprinted in the first Uncanny omnibus, they received more than a few rather cross missives from readers who complained that they'd patiently waited five or six years for new X-Men and were now horrified that it was no longer about the adventures of Cyclops, Marvel Girl, Iceman, Beast and Angel.

The most memorable was one which said something like, "Storm and Colossus should just get married and clear off to Africa or Russia or something!"

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

notthegoatseguy posted:

Yeah I tried to do a "read all the X-men ever" one time and got through like 2 Stan Lee issues. I get why people thought comics were a joke medium until recently.

Brocktoon
Jul 18, 2006

Before we engage we should hang back and study their tactics.
Yeah, I'm doing the same thing, and I made it through a handful of early issues before I just skimmed summaries through issue 66 and then skipped to Giant Sized #1. I don't think I missed anything.

wedgie deliverer
Oct 2, 2010

I've read through the 28 issues of Miles Morales Ultimate Spider-Man on Marvel Unlimited and loved it. The scene where Miles lets the Roxxon guy hang upside-down monologuing before saying 'you're under arrest'? Pure gold.

So since the stuff following it isn't on Marvel Unlimited yet, what do I need to buy next time I'm in the comic book store?

Also what's good with X-men these days? There are like 8 different books and I have no idea where to start. FWIW I really like Whedon's Astonished X-Men.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Once Roy Thomas starts writing with Neal Adams art, it gets a good bit better. X-Men was probably the weakest Lee/Kirby book.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

hi liter posted:

I've read through the 28 issues of Miles Morales Ultimate Spider-Man on Marvel Unlimited and loved it. The scene where Miles lets the Roxxon guy hang upside-down monologuing before saying 'you're under arrest'? Pure gold.

So since the stuff following it isn't on Marvel Unlimited yet, what do I need to buy next time I'm in the comic book store?

Also what's good with X-men these days? There are like 8 different books and I have no idea where to start. FWIW I really like Whedon's Astonished X-Men.

I really like All-New and Uncanny X-men, but some people can't take time travel shenanigans (these people should not read x-books.) Wolverine and the X-men is pretty much universally loved. I dunno when the last time you read was but, what's going on post AvX isThe phoenix force comes back to earth, gets split into five parts accidentally by Tony Stark, inhabits Namor, Emma Frost, Cyclops and the Rasputins, they try to unilaterally make the world into a Utopia, the Avengers don't like that, they shut down the Phoenix Five after events, Scott, Emma, Magneto and Magik decide to form their own X-men (Uncanny) which says gently caress the Avengers and gently caress the world we're looking out for mutants first, this pisses off Beast so he goes back in time to get the original five X-Men (yes Jean Grey is back, in teen form) so that modern Scott would be shamed by old school Scott (All-new X-men) Then Battle of the Atom happens which is a crossover between the three main X-books and shifts some teams and people and motivations around. Vanilla X-men and Astonishing are still going on but afaik they aren't tied into the main continuity. There's Amazing as well which I haven't read but Jason Aaron wrote it. There's an X-force book with Cable leading the team but it's its own thing too, mostly.

e: I'm reading all this through Unlimited so I'm six months behind (and OK with that) so it's possible there has been some huge book shakeup I'm not aware of.

zoux fucked around with this message at 19:43 on May 8, 2014

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

The Cyclops (mini? ongoing?) of him being a space pirate with his dad was really good. I'd recommend that.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer
I just finished Remender's Uncanny X-Force, and the recommendations held strong: it's the best comic series I've ever read.

Now I'm hungry for more. I have a few different new recommendations I'm looking for. I mainly read through Marvel Unlimited, so if I can read it through that, I'm happy,

First, I loved the dynamics of the team. They didn't really get along, but by the end, there's at least a mutual respect for each other and appreciation for how they've grown. What's another good series based around a team?

Second, what else by Remender is worth reading?

Third, Fantomex is the poo poo. I want to read everything with Fantomex. Where should I go?

I've never really read any of the X-books until this. Are there any other good X-series I should read now?

I know this is a lot, but hot drat, the series leaves you wanting so much more.

Thanks for any help!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
I really liked Remender's Fear Agent and Venom runs. I don't think there's anything of his I really disliked.

Go to X-book recommendations are Grant Morrison's New X-Men (bonus, Fantomex gets introduced here) and Joss Wheadon's Astonishing X-Men, probably best read in that order.

Uthor fucked around with this message at 18:44 on May 11, 2014