Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

I remember as a kid reading some of Dad's old collections of The Phantom and I've always had a little soft spot for the character just from the half-remembered nostalgia that provides. Does anyone have any suggestions on where to start/good runs to look for? I don't know if I'm willing to take a shot from the beginning, that's one hell of a lot of comics.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

Could anyone recommend something ongoing at Marvel at the moment that has the same feel as Hickman's Fantastic Four run? Not in high concept ideas but more in terms of a sense of adventure. Part of the reason I came to like the Fantastic Four (and Hickman's run got me starting reading back through a whooooollllleeee lot of FF) is that they would regularly do things like take trips to other dimensions and alternate realities or journey to strange places around the world mixed with the run-of-the-mill-save-Manhattan stuff.

On a semi-similar note - Annihilation-era cosmic Marvel seemed to hit a lot of those notes that I'm looking for too, are any of the currently ongoing ones (Nova, Guardians, Star Lord I think?) worth jumping on?

I suppose in theory I'd be open to DC suggestions too but seeing the tail end of Johns' run on Green Lantern slide into Venditti's run I'm really not super optimistic.

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

Can anyone recommend me some comics focusing on magic/magicians/wizards? The weirder the better. I've read a significant chunk of Dr. Strange's various runs, Hellblazer, Gaiman's Books of Magic... I also read the first volume of Promethea but it didn't grab me.

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

Watching Wandavision has got me curious about more of the magic corner of the Marvel universe. I've read a whoooole stack of the old Dr. Strange stuff, what else is out there? Is any of the more modern (say, post-2000) Dr. Strange stuff any good?
Has Marvel done anything for the magic corner of their universe the way that Annihilation was for their cosmic stuff? Who/what else should I check out?