Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

I usually recommend Morrison's New X-men as a good jumping on point, but you could start with dawn/powers if you know the basics

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Ewing and Hickman aren't quite Morrison but their stuff is closest

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

magic cactus posted:

I've heard a lot of good things about Hickman, can you recommend me a place to start with his stuff?

If you want cape stuff, Shield or his Avengers run. For the really good poo poo stick to his Image stuff. Pax Romana, Red Wing, and Red Mass for Mars in particular. East of West as well

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Madkal posted:

My buddy's kid is nearly four years old and my buddy wants to read Spiderman comics to his kid as a bonding thing. Are there any children books by marvel that are good for young kids?

Any of the Marvel Adventures stuff is geared younger, and Superhero Squad is specifically towards the really younger kids.

Spidey and his Amazing Friends is newer and for that crowd as well but I haven’t read any of it so can’t give any recommendation

Opopanax fucked around with this message at 00:33 on Nov 27, 2022

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Anything Ewing did

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Defenestrategy posted:

More like Nailbiter please. Already read through hack/slash, harrow county, nice house, something killing children, and locke and key. So I guess horror mystery?

Look up the Hill House stuff at DC, there's a bunch of good horror minis from the last few years

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Looks like there are some Dead End graphic novels, those would be an idea

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Luther Strode

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

DC had a bunch of Joe Hill produced minis under the Hill House label that were all pretty good

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Kart Barfunkel posted:

Found Morrison’s All-Star Superman at the library and decided to reread it after many years. It’s still great. Is this considered the high water mark for Morrison’s writing or…where do I go from here?

It's definitely one of their more accessible works but I mean they're one of the best Big 2 writers of all time. Invisibles, Doom Patrol, Animal Man, Final Crisis, We3, X-men, Arkham Asylum, you really can't go wrong

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Probably the stuff about Spider, who is just Ellis' self insert, sleeping with his much younger assistant, which is something Ellis has done more than once

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Bone

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

All New Ultimates was fine, it just didn't go anywhere or do anything. It did have Ultimate Terror Inc though, that was cool

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

There's the Pet Avengers

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

radlum posted:

For obvious reasons, I’ve been thinking about the Manhattan Project recently and was wondering if The Manhattan Projects is worth reading; I’ve enjoyed most of Hickman’s superhero work and some of his other work; would The Manhattan Projects be a good read? Is it finished?

Really good. Not exactly unfinished but it's kind of an open ended story anyways

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

We3 is great if you're looking for something like Watership Down

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Not yet. The artist had some health issues that delayed it and Hickman is Hickman, but supposedly they're just about done.