Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!
Quinones is doing a signing at my local shop. Is Canary/Zatanna: Bloodspell worth getting, or is it as bad as it sounds?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!

Opopanax posted:

Wolverine and The X-Men and X Statix

To expand, there was one issue of WatXM that was just Doop's job at the academy.
It could have easily been the year's best single issue of any comic.

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!
Any recommendations for a good trade of post Secret Wars Marvel, or something great that's generally overlooked?
I get a bunch of comics, so tomorrow I'm trading in a bunch of the old single issues for a trade or two. Just going by this page, Copperhead sounds right up my ally. Gwenpool sounds like it could be good, or it could be a bit much. I may get the old Brubaker Catwoman. Is the first book good and independent, or does it build?

I generally like characters over plot, and Sci Fi is a great bonus. My favorite stuff coming out now is Autumnlands, Wicked + Divine, Vision, Tree, Injection, Saga, Island when it's good.

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!
Thanks, I'll check out the Ultimates. I'm already on East of West and Vision, I should have put them in my favorites because they rule. I picked up Low, but I was on a bit too much Remender at the time and dropped it. It seemed too much of a downer, does it pick up at all?

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!
Ewing? Thanks. This is the post Secret Wars Ultimates, right? I'd heard there was one, but I know nothing about it, all I know about post SW Marvel is Doom has no mask, and I guess Iron Man is now Riri Something.

I tried Omega Men, but it just didn't work for me. It had all the right stuff for me, I just couldn't get into it.

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!

Lamont posted:

I realised recently that quite a few of the most memorable comics stories I've read have been one-shots and limited series about second-stringer characters, such as the Batroc one-shot and that series about Namor done from the point of view of a submarine crew. (I also really wanted to like Bullseye: Perfect Game but I'm not American and I just couldn't wade through the endless baseball jargon)

Anyone got any recommendations?

If you can find it, Avengers: The Initiative #13 is a great one shot about Boulder. It's at a time in Marvel when everyone with powers had to go through hero training, and Boulder is invulnerable but also a clumsy nerd. It's a heartbreaking story.

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!

Narzack posted:

Looking for some new poo poo to read. I really dislike capes, can't even do Batman, anymore(gently caress you, Grant Morrison). There are exceptions, like Kyle Baker's Plastic Man and Deadpool, and Daniel Way's Deadpool, plus Ennis's run on Punisher. But that's about it.

I acknowledge that my tastes are pretty poo poo, but I like gory horror or action, and interesting sci fi. My favorite comic of all time is still Preacher, so Ennis is usually a solid rec for me, but I bounced hard off The Boys, and ended up hating Jennifer Blood. Cheesecake doesn't bother me, so I enjoyed Hack/Slash. Saga was really good, but I think I only made it to trade #7. I gave up on Walking Dead right around them leaving the prison, so I've been kind of starved for some good genre zombie stuff.

But, yeah, bloody horror and action or space opera sci fi would be cool. I'm also a dumbass who's very particular about art. I don't really care for impressionistic stuff, I like clear and clean art. Manga is fine, too.

You might like Chew, about a dystopian-ish future where eating chicken is illegal and a detective, John Chu, has the ability to know the history of anything he eats. Really good, fairly gross.

East of West is where I go when I'm in a sci fi mood. Alternate future America with the 4 horsemen of the apocalypse, cyber Navajo, other stuff. A neat world with lots of gun fights and people saying portentous things

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!

Defenestrategy posted:

I've gotten into a comics kick recently, and I don't know where to go from here. I like horror, deconstruction, and stuff with kinda downer moments in them? So more of that kinda stuff?

Stuff I liked:
Geiger
The Boys
Arkham: A Serious House on Serious Earth
Ruins
Injustice
Wytches

There's a couple directions this list could go. The Boys is pretty classic Garth Ennis. Preacher (also a Hulu series) is a big one of his. He did a lot of Constantine, but I don't know what to recommend there.
I'd say Monstress is more Fantasy World in Real War. It's really good, there's a lot of it, but it is not yet done.
Tom Taylor, who did Injustice, also did a Suicide Squad run called Bad Blood. I really liked it.

You might also like Sandman, maybe Watchmen. Both classics.

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!

magic cactus posted:

Howdy!

I thought I posted here once before a good while ago, but I just checked and nothing came up in my post history so... :shrug:

I just tore through The Department of Truth and loved it. I want more weird comics like that. Give me a bunch of philosophical pontificating about reality to read while I wait for the next issue because the person who recommended it to me forgot to mention it's still ongoing. Stuff I've already read:

Morrison's The Invisibles, Doom Patrol, The Filth, The Nameless, Animal Man, Arkham Asylum... (I really like Morrison)
Moore's Watchmen, Promethia (good, could do without the weird sex but I also read Lost Girls out of morbid curiosity so :shrug:,) and Swamp Thing
Peter Milligan's run on Shade, The Changing Man (Probably a top 5 of all time for me)
Sandman (owns)
Prophet (2012)
ODY-C
Charles Burn's Black Hole and X'd Out
Zero by Ales Kot (I read a few other books of his but this was the only one to really grab me)
Mazebook by Lemire
Like a Velvet Glove Cast In Iron
The Incal
Hellblazer up to the new-52 Constantine reset

I don't have a problem I swear.

Flex Mentallo - Another Morrison, my favorite, and I think I've read all Morrison?

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!
Asterios Polyp is really great, if you like that Mazzucchelli also did the comic for City of Glass. He also did the art for Daredevil: Born Again, but that's got a very different feel.

Space Fish posted:

This is the siren song for Fearscape (sequel: A Dark Interlude) by Ryan O'Sullivan and Andrea Mutti, Art Ops by Shaun Simon and Michael Allred, and The Picture of Everything Else by Dan Watters and Kishore Mohan.

Fearscape: Every so often humanity's best storyteller is recruited to fend off nightmares from entering our realm, but this time an egotistical plagiarist has been recruited and he's too dug in to tell anyone he's a fraud.

Art Ops: Pieces of art are living beings, protected by a clandestine organization known as The Art Operatives. The son of one of their agents is recruited after a spate of art thefts as well as a strange encounter that gives the new kid a prosthetic arm made of... paint? Doom Patrol vibes all around, right down to the Neighborhood of Dads who resist art's pull. (Their rivals ought to be the Forum of Criterion Dads)

The Picture of Everything Else: a killer whose paintings create real-world victims crosses paths with a thief. Visuals include 1800s Paris and the story does Oscar Wilde proud as a soft sequel to Dorian Gray.

This sounds amazing, I'm going to try it out.

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!
I lump everyone under 25 in to the same category, so I don't know if it works for 11.5, but Die?
It is mostly about adults trapped in a D&D-ish world, but the end tackles some gender identity feels.
It's probably too adult in the "people talking about being adults" sense,

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!
Hickman's East of West isn't really small scale, but it takes place in a bonkers version of Earth which is pretty fun.
Monstress is also not small scale, but it involves travel through a very different fantasy world and going into its history.
Far Sector, a Green Lantern by NK Jemisin (Read Broken Earth!) is much more pure sci-fi and might work for you.

I remember liking Trees, but I think Ellis just left it hanging, although I see now that Vol 3 came out 4 years after vol 2, so maybe it wrapped up?

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!

Fereydun posted:

just throwing it out here but are there any good runs/comix of redemption stories similar to journey into mystery (kid loki) or incorruptible (minus the weird grooming poo poo) in the scope of following a character who was a total shitter and is trying against all odds to be better?

for some reason nothing else was really coming to mind even though i swear i've read some good arcs of a similar vein. i ended up going through the classic run of thunderbolts recently and it was uh, not great (but very much of it's era!) and am the mood for that kinda stuff

Astro City: The Tarnished Angel

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!
All of Astro City is really good along those lines. Life in the Big City is full of great one shots, including the greatest (not) Superman story ever told. Confession is really good too, and I almost recommended it as a redemption story but its a little not quite. The other ~14 books are solid, some highs and lows, but those first two are by far my favorites.

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!
David Mack has done some great watercolor work, but I think it was all for covers?
I haven't read his Kabuki in 10+ years but it was a lot of fun, all B&W, wish I could remember if Mack got artistic with it.

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!
Animal Man is a great recommendation. Definitely less polished, but in some ways better for it.

Flex Mentallo is a huge love letter to comics and is great, unless you're violently repulsed by Sex

Seven Soldiers is great if you read the 2 volume version that has everything in publication order. I can't imagine reading the books separately.

Invisibles was great when I read it decades ago, but at this point it goes in a box with Preacher and Transmet, a place I fondly remember and should not revisit.

Batman is generally great but is very interwoven and qualifies as a Commitment.

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!
Or like recommending It's Jeff when someone wants something along the lines of Jaws.

It's Jeff is a delight and I recommend it to the OP

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!
Got a question from a friend: Is anyone familiar with the Korean comics scene? My friend is curious about it but not sure where to start.
They can read Korean, but I think they'd prefer English.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!
Oh dang yeah, Finder is worth a shot. The titular character is male, but the author and I think most other characters are female.