Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

it dont matter
Aug 29, 2008

Read that new Tales of Honor comic, the one based on the Honor Harrington stories by David Weber. Writing isn't great, art is bland. However, it is sci-fi with big spaceships and lasers, which I haven't seen a lot of in comics. Anything else out there along those lines which isn't Star Trek/Wars related?

Also, any recommendations for dark superhero stuff? I've read Irredeemable, The Boys, The Authority, Planetary, that new series The Royals, Supergods, Uber, God is Dead, and just about everything I could find by Warren Ellis on that theme. Anything I might have missed involving superheroes going bad or things taking a darker turn than the usual Marvel and DC approach? Particularly liked Supergods and God is Dead for the weirdness, horror and their use of religion and mythology, and Uber and The Royals for their alternate history.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

it dont matter
Aug 29, 2008

Uthor posted:

Take a look at Fear Agent, which is basically a space story with lasers and jet packs and rockets, but, well, modern and kind of dark.

It's not superhero, but take a look at Hickman's Manhattan Projects or his East of West. The first is an alternate history where the world's greatest scientists fight off alien threats with ultraviolence. The second is slightly in the future, but with an alternate history starting with a vastly different Civil War, where the four horsemen of the apocalypse are on Earth. Also: ultraviolence. Actually, a lot of Hickman's stuff is along those lines: Red Mass for Mars, Pax Romana, Red Wing. Lots of alternate histories, not a lot of superheroes.

As for straight up superhero stories, Remender's Uncanny X-Force about a squad of mutant assassins is really good.

The recent 12 issue run of Glory is pretty great, kinda dark, but not on the weirdness levels of Ellis' work.

I've got Manhattan Projects, it's great, and I'm following East of West too, which is also great. Hickman is one of my favourite writers at the moment. He did an awesome job on The Ultimates for a while, that Reed Richards plotline and the apocalyptic direction the whole universe went in was nuts.

Red Mass for Mars I've read too, but I've not seen those others yet so will give them a crack. Cheers.

Letter 44 I'm following, and it's quite good, though I can't get over the name of the president in it: PRESIDENT BLADES. It sounds like something I'd have come up with when I was 12. Will have a look at Soule's other work, not familiar with him.