Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Veg
Oct 13, 2008

:smug::smug::xd:
Remenders X-Force omnibus releases tomorrow in my country, general consensus? what are some themes it explores? if I like ______ series I would also like Uncanny X-Force?

For reference, I'm newer to comics and my favourite runs are Millers DD, Snyders Batman and Lemires Green Arrow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Veg
Oct 13, 2008

The New 52 Batman series, written by Scott Snyder, is literally the best starting point for Batman and villains.

The first 11 issues covers Batman fighting a new foe and explains where he came from etc.

Veg
Oct 13, 2008

I am loving Preacher and X-Force so much. I roared with laughter when Deadpool was talking about being loved during the Dethlok story.

Veg
Oct 13, 2008

52 was an amazing experience to be around for when it was first released.

Its only gotten better with age.

Veg
Oct 13, 2008

I liked Original Sins a lot, I've been meaning to read more of Constantines stuff. With Hellblazer being rereleased in new edition trades, I thought I'd pick up Ennis run since I also loved Preacher.

Besides Ennis run, including vol 8 which is coming out next month, I also ordered vol 2 The Devil You Know.

What I'm wanting to know is can I safely skip volumes 3 and 4 without missing anything crucial for Ennis' run. I believe one has a hippy story and the other a serial killer story.

Veg
Oct 13, 2008

bobkatt013 posted:

Family Man is loving awesome and ties into Sandman. Volume 3 and 4 is good poo poo, but Ennis run is pretty self contained.

No doubt I'll get more withdrawal symptoms and get em eventually.

Veg
Oct 13, 2008

Kids loving love goofy poo poo like that. Grimdark Futures End nonsense? Not so much.

Veg
Oct 13, 2008

Ramadu posted:

Hi, I was looking to figure out where I should start with Hellblazer. Should I start with issue 1? That 1980s art is pretty harsh on the eyes. Is there a more modern jumping in point or should I just tough it out and hope the comics in the 90s are better?

The art owns. :colbert:

DC is reprinting the series in proper volumes now, I started there and it owns so much.

Veg
Oct 13, 2008

Nehru the Damaja posted:

I still feel alienated by most Marvel stuff that's off the street level but holy heck Immortal Iron Fist got dope. I really expected all its mystic hoodoo to turn me off, but that hasn't been the case yet. I don't even know what to ask for because "more stuff like this!" may not be what I'm even after. The whole thing has just been so drat huge and fun and colorful without getting too dumb. Any suggestions of where I can go from here? Been reading Hawkeye already and it's a joy for different reasons.

Jeff Lemires run on new52 Green Arrow #17 to #34. Heavily influenced, but not a copy of, Immortal Iron Fist and bonus: they have just wrapped up its story.

Veg
Oct 13, 2008

Nehru the Damaja posted:

I still feel alienated by most Marvel stuff that's off the street level but holy heck Immortal Iron Fist got dope. I really expected all its mystic hoodoo to turn me off, but that hasn't been the case yet. I don't even know what to ask for because "more stuff like this!" may not be what I'm even after. The whole thing has just been so drat huge and fun and colorful without getting too dumb. Any suggestions of where I can go from here? Been reading Hawkeye already and it's a joy for different reasons.

Oh and also the current ongoing Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles by IDW. It gives off the same awesome vibes with killer twists on the traditional TMNT story.

The easiest way to try it and see if you like it is read the Microseries Leonardo issue. As well as the main series issues each month there is usually a side issue released a month too, either part of a miniseries or stand alone micro issues based on just one character. Leonardos micro issue gives the best taste of the series as a whole without spoiling too much plot. I believe it takes place, story wise, around issue 8.

The whole series on sale right now on Comixology too,

If you do get into it, reading order is basically 1-20, the Secret History of the Foot Clan miniseries then 21-36. Everything else (stand alone micro issues, other miniseries etc) can be read after you finish the main line.

Veg
Oct 13, 2008

Heads up that Brubakers run relies heavily on knowledge of older Cap lore and lost me towards the end.

Veg
Oct 13, 2008

Soonmot posted:

I didn't start reading Cap until Brubaker's run and no trouble following anything.

The second Cap from the 50's? What?

Veg
Oct 13, 2008

Yeah I dunno, the explanation just felt like I was missing something major and honestly that plot was pretty lame.

Veg
Oct 13, 2008

Begby posted:

I mostly read hellboy, atomic robo, and the walking dead, and old rear end conan stuff....

Awhile ago I read the joss whedon run on Astonishing x-men and really liked it. Are there any other really good reads in the realm of x-men? I haven't read any other issues of x-men whatsoever. Really liked the last two movies though.

The current Marvel now Magneto run is really badass.

Veg
Oct 13, 2008

What is the comic book equivalent of True Detective?

A long, winding crime story with occult influence?

For reference I love Hellblazer, Preacher and have been recommended Sandman Mystery Theatre already.

Veg
Oct 13, 2008

derkaiser posted:

Fatale by Brubaker and Phillips.

I loving love Brubaker, thank you.

Veg
Oct 13, 2008

Oliver Queen is rich and has 2 people helping him in his crusade. Now go.. Read the best GA run in over 20 years.

Veg
Oct 13, 2008

I just started Annihilation too!

It loving owns. That is my review.

Veg
Oct 13, 2008

SMP posted:

Daredevil very quickly became my favorite superhero and the Netflix series trailer got me hyped as hell. What are some other good reads? I've read:

Frank Miller's Daredevil
Born Again
Man Without Fear
Daredevil: Yellow
Bendis' Daredevil
Brubaker's Daredevil
End of Days
Waid's Daredevil

Stuff with Gladiator, Typhoid Mary, Purple Man (yes I've read Alias), and maybe The Owl would be cool. I've read a lot of Elektra/Bullseye/Kingpin stuff by now, so focus on his lesser villains would be cool. His journeys in San Francisco or with Black Widow (not the current run) would be sweet too.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3439888&perpage=40

Join us..

Veg
Oct 13, 2008

Sodomy Non Sapiens posted:

Could anyone recommend something ongoing at Marvel at the moment that has the same feel as Hickman's Fantastic Four run? Not in high concept ideas but more in terms of a sense of adventure. Part of the reason I came to like the Fantastic Four (and Hickman's run got me starting reading back through a whooooollllleeee lot of FF) is that they would regularly do things like take trips to other dimensions and alternate realities or journey to strange places around the world mixed with the run-of-the-mill-save-Manhattan stuff.

On a semi-similar note - Annihilation-era cosmic Marvel seemed to hit a lot of those notes that I'm looking for too, are any of the currently ongoing ones (Nova, Guardians, Star Lord I think?) worth jumping on?

I suppose in theory I'd be open to DC suggestions too but seeing the tail end of Johns' run on Green Lantern slide into Venditti's run I'm really not super optimistic.

Awful lot of the recommendations here arent giving you adventures, just 'good' comics.

Go read Saga. Its an ongoing by Image, its an amazing adventure through space whilst raising a family. Beautiful book.

Veg
Oct 13, 2008

Sodomy Non Sapiens posted:

Could anyone recommend something ongoing at Marvel at the moment that has the same feel as Hickman's Fantastic Four run? Not in high concept ideas but more in terms of a sense of adventure. Part of the reason I came to like the Fantastic Four (and Hickman's run got me starting reading back through a whooooollllleeee lot of FF) is that they would regularly do things like take trips to other dimensions and alternate realities or journey to strange places around the world mixed with the run-of-the-mill-save-Manhattan stuff.

On a semi-similar note - Annihilation-era cosmic Marvel seemed to hit a lot of those notes that I'm looking for too, are any of the currently ongoing ones (Nova, Guardians, Star Lord I think?) worth jumping on?

I suppose in theory I'd be open to DC suggestions too but seeing the tail end of Johns' run on Green Lantern slide into Venditti's run I'm really not super optimistic.

I forgot to recommend the current ongoing Transformers series, More Than Meets The Eye.

You read Last Stand Of The Wreckers, then jump right into vol 1.

The war between the Autobots and Decepticons is over. This is Star Trek meets Arrested Development. Wonderful space adventure with some real feels.

Veg
Oct 13, 2008

Cyphoderus posted:

Is anyone familiar with all the spin-offs and miniseries from IDW's Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles? Are they worth reading or necessary to the plot of the ongoing series?

Secret History of the Foot Clan are less a miniseries and more just additional issues of the main title. Probably my favourite arc in the entire run. They fit perfectly between issue 20 and 21, you will be lost without it.

Utrom Empire is pretty average. Only good if youre interested in this series General Krang.

Turtles in Time rocks my loving socks off. Great wee side story, pretty skipable but alot of fun. #4 is a particular stand out.

Mutanimals was like Utrom, only good if you like Hobb.

The individual one-shots are hit and miss. The must-reads are Leo, Alopex and Bebop/Rocksteady. The Leo one shot is my favourite single issue in the series.

If you're wanting a reading order, do #1-#20, Secret History, then #21 onwards. Read the one shots later.

Veg
Oct 13, 2008

WickedHate posted:

What's a good gag gift for a fellow comic geek? I want to evoke the feeling "Awww, gently caress you too pal :3:". The other, non joke things I'm planning on getting him are Ellis' Moon Knight and Godzilla: Half Century War.

The ultimate Frank Miller box set, yes yes yes.. Daredevil and Elektra blurays!!!

Veg
Oct 13, 2008

zoux posted:

How essential is Nocenti's run on DD?

E: I hope not very, because they only have through #276 on MU

It starts off suprisingly well and has 2 key happenings. Stop when the Typhoid Mary story ends otherwise you'll end up reading some real dog poo poo stories.

Veg
Oct 13, 2008

The start of Brubakers run was better than the start of Bendis.

Veg
Oct 13, 2008

bobkatt013 posted:

Better than the stabbing of kingpin and then the reveal of his identity? The prison arc was good, but Bendis had a great start.

Yep. The Devil in Cell Block D is a wonderful read.

Veg
Oct 13, 2008

Get the Marvel and DC comic apps and see what books released every wednesday?

Veg
Oct 13, 2008

Uthor posted:

How is the TMNT: Casey & April miniseries?

Not a great way to kick off their 51-100 story line. It wasnt *bad* but the art was awful and the story was so-so.

It's one of the reasons I'm going to wait until around issue 75ish before I binge from issue 51.

I loving loved the first 50 issues though.

Veg
Oct 13, 2008

Uthor posted:

If you told me a few hours earlier!

Yeah, I loved issue #50 and am down the buying the main series. I pick and choose the micro series.

Have you read the first issue of Bebop and Rocksteady Destroy Everything?

It was okay! The first few pages really threw off the pacing but I think as a 4 issue story it will get better. Built on what the micro set up. I also loving love Ben Bates art.

Veg
Oct 13, 2008

Mr Hootington posted:

Where should you start if you want to read TMNT comics?

Issue one of the IDW series.

The reading order I recommend is:
1-8, Leonardo micro issue, 8-20, Secret History of the Foot Clan 1-4, 21-24, Alopex micro issue, 25, Bebop and Rocksteady micro issue, 26-37, Turtles In Time 1-4, 38-50. Phew, sounds more complex than it actually is.

The micro series are side issues covering main characters but entirely skippable. The Leo microissue is the best single issue in the whole series, imo. The Secret History and Turtles in Time 4 parters are just additional issues to the main series and are both fuckin awesome. Don't skip those.

There are other microissues, one for each main character, but the ones I listed are the only ones really important.

Veg
Oct 13, 2008

Sociopastry posted:

If I wanted to start reading Preacher, where do I start?

Issue 1. :shrug:

They have collected the series into 9 volumes. Reading from volume 1 will get you reading the side stories in correct order.

Veg
Oct 13, 2008

IDW: Transformers MTMTE.
DC: Deathstroke. Superman.
Marvel: Daredevil.

Veg
Oct 13, 2008

Skwirl posted:

Watchmen.

How realistic are we goin for here? Cos One Piece is one of the longest running manga and is about pirates WITH POWERS

Veg
Oct 13, 2008

got any sevens posted:

What do you mean by collected editions, and which ones should I look for?

Collected editions are thicker books where 5+ issues of a comic are 'collected' into one book.

They usually come out a few months after the individual issues do.

Theyre cheaper than buying the individual issues

Veg
Oct 13, 2008

Bubble-T posted:

Things I've enjoyed lately:

Patsy Walker aka Hellcat
Power Man and Iron Fist
Ms Marvel

What else should I read in that vein? I briefly read some squirrel girl and that was maybe too tongue in cheek for me but I'd be willing to give it another shot.

Do you like Tranformers?

Because Transformers: More Than Meets The Eye is a must read series. Charming, funny and heart breaking. Its Arrested Development meets Star Trek.

It has one lead-in mini series to read, Last Stand of the Wreckers, and then jump right into the ongoing series.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Veg
Oct 13, 2008

Jerry Cotton posted:

Is Daredevil still OK? I'm thinking of subscribing to something for next year and I don't want anything that requires me to read a bunch of other magazines as well. Any other recommendations for a single title to get are welcome.

The art is loving unreal. It carried the book through the first arc. Story wise it's getting much better and the current arc is great.

Issue 4 showed signs of how good Soule can write DD. If you like that issue, you'll love from issue 8 onwards.