Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

If I enjoyed the first JSA Omnibus, will volume two also rock my world?

vvvThanks! Wanted to make sure I wasn't wading into an expensive turd arc or anything.vvv

Space Fish fucked around with this message at 16:19 on Dec 8, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

I read the Last of Us issues as they came out and really enjoyed the series. If you liked the game's story DLC, I think you would enjoy the comic too.
I also reocmmend it as a devotee of Faith Erin Hicks.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

This is more of a DC Nerd Western, but Justice Riders is a fairly straightforward western featuring much of Justice League International filling trope roles, with J.H. Williams III's art absolutely slaying every page.

It's $2 on Comixology for 60-odd pages of a slowly building showdown that pays off in many ways by the end.

vvv It's one strong shot, hope you enjoy it! vvv

Space Fish fucked around with this message at 16:51 on Mar 27, 2015

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

The Modern Leper posted:

Anything I should seek out in trades? I understand DC's gearing up for an event - should I just hold off for a few months?

On the DC end, check out Batgirl (of Burnside) and Grayson. They both treat superheroics with a lighter touch.

The Convergence event is underway and really just a stopgap solution to sell *something* while DC moves offices from NY to CA. Specific parts of it might be good, but I'm waiting it out, especially while DC toys with $3.99 issue prices.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Ragequit posted:

I would like to spend more money because I am an idiot.

Go to Dark Horse Digital, load the gently caress up on some 50% off titles and bundles, plus an extra 10% off with code DHD4YEAR

Here's a hit list that should entertain...

Hellboy
BPRD
Baltimore
Mind MGMT
Lady Killer
Dr. McNinja
Adventures of Superhero Girl
Concrete
Groo
Beasts of Burden
Lone Wolf & Cub
Kurosagi Corpse Delivery Service

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Hellboy and historical fiction fans (specifically World War I era) need to check out Baltimore. Its story arcs are relatively short, usually build off what came before (or are entertaining one-shots), and have satisfying resolutions IMO.

It may help to imagine the main character is Hellboy under a humanizing spell.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Sensation Comics has increasingly become my go-to recommendation for complaints about what people would like to see Wonder Woman do and be - solve international crises as a goodwill ambassador, inspire fairness and equality in children, act on her personal characteristics besides "woman born in warrior culture," switched up art styles without rear end-shots and melon boobs, adventures involving mythological beings... it's a great complement to the Azzarello/Chiang run, I think.

Hiketeia is wonderful and deserves wider readership.

The first issue's worth of Wonder Woman '77 has come out digitally and been collected in a stuffed, $8 physical issue, and it's really pretty/respectable, but I hope it starts running with bolder concepts like Batman '66 has been doing.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Will Eisner's "Last Day In Vietnam" is excellent.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Descender and Trillium are SciFi-ish, kind of like Star Wars the way they travel through outer space while dealing with more fantasy-like forces.

Descender's got a bunch of robots and is the lovelier of the two thanks to Nguyen, but they're both worth checking out, in my opinion.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Most Mignolaverse titles (Baltimore, Abe Sapien, Witchfinder)

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

On the more modern, impersonal end, Todd Allen'sThe Economics of Digital Comics is a great, concise read that gets to the heart of how dollars are distributed to retailers, publishers, and creatives, unwittingly serving as a great guide to how the industry works (or doesn't, as the case may be).

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

I just recently dove into Valiant and they're trouncing the big two in terms of quality by a county mile. The Valiant thread is friendly and consists of reports from the field of "yup, still awesome."

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

They're both great and have held up for me on multiple reads. Dig in and report back!
Also, "Justice" and "World's Greatest Superheroes" are among my favorite DC things ever, check those out too.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Brocktoon posted:

(Why is Hal Jordan the main Green Lantern when he's so loving boring?)

I am legit excited that DC Rebirth will shoot him back into space and let the rookies get some experience.

Also, Guy's part of Red Lanterns is good, hop in when Charles Soule writes.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Admittedly, I am not invested in the Lucifer character/series, but after reading the first five issues of the new series... it's okay? Feels less like the devil, prince of lies is investigating God's murder and more like some angels are being curt with each other and using Biblical names.
I prefer Red Thorn and its brand of "demonic influence with clever uses of magic" much better.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Formerly Known As The Justice League and I Can't Believe It's Not The Justice League are both single-arc revisits of Justice League International by the original crew, they're how I first got into JLI and they hooked me on the spot. Funny enough to make me laugh, dramatic enough to make me care.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Bitch Planet is entertaining in the story as well as educational in the back, with essays and letters.

Ody-C is full of brilliant, mind-bending art but the words can't match the visuals for poo poo.

Jughead is a delight and I'm only kind of upset that I've been buying those as they come out.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

I am absolutely in love with Kamala Khan's series but fuuuuck Civil War 2. By the time the event's over, I'll have switched to trade-waiting on her. (Even though her Last Days arc for Secret Wars was pretty good).

I think the fallout from events is generally more worthwhile than watching series get bottlenecked to the sidelines of the main event. This is part of why I like DC's Rebirth: a one-issue event that leads to plenty of single-thread series (back-burner Watchmen subplot notwithstanding).

Valiant's events have easily been the most coherent and rewarding. Always well mapped out.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

"Huck" doesn't get too mean, if that's what you're worried about. There's a story arc with widening intrigue, a cute ending, everything to make it easy to pick up and satisfying to finish.

It's not so great that I worship Millar all of a sudden, but it is a go-to wakeup call for people who roll their eyes at the very mention of his name because of his earlier duds.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Boom!: Giant Days, The Woods
Dark Circle: The Black Hood
Dark Horse: Baltimore, Groo
DC: Deathstroke, Legend of Wonder Woman
Dynamite: Shaft, Bob's Burgers
IDW: Samurai Jack
Image: Deadly Class, Monstress
Marvel: Howard The Duck, Ms. Marvel
Monkeybrain: Bandette
Oni: Letter 44, The Sixth Gun
Valiant: Wrath of the Eternal Warrior, Rai
Vertigo: Clean Room, Sheriff of Babylon

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Anime_Otaku posted:

Is there any good comics with disabled protagonists who actually are impaired by whatever they're supposed to have wrong with them? 've got Spina Bifida and it's one thing that's irked me for a while is that people like Daredevil have disabilities, but then they have some ability that seems to totally negate it. Equally, I do like Nico Minoru and Elsa Bloodstone, but they may as well have both arms intact for all their prosthetic arms impede them, I'm aware both are magic, but that's part of the problem as stated above. The only character I can think of is Oracle but of course they went and fixed her too, so she's back to being Batgirl.

Torque from Harbinger has atrophied or otherwise weak legs, but can essentially hulk out. His heart's in the right place for superheroics, but he has a blind spot about his disability the size of the chip on his shoulder.

A couple members of H.A.R.D. Corps (found in Bloodshot volumes 4+5) have disabilities, including Flatline (who has cystic fibrosis and wears an oxygen mask everywhere) and Genius (who is developmentally disabled but accepted brain implants to boost his intellect).

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

VolticSurge posted:

After watching Shin Godzilla, a friend of mine got me the first volume of Kaijumax. I still haven't read it-I'm still weary after that time he gifted me the Morrison Batman comics. Is it any good? I AM a big Kaiju buff,would I get any enjoyment outta it?

YES
~second opinion~
HELL YES

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Akira Himekawa's Legend of Zelda manga series is kid-friendly and recommended. Hops from game to game, but still easy to read.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Kid-friendly comics that are pretty great:

Compass South
Little Nemo: Return To Slumberland
Snow White (Matt Phelan)
The Nameless City
Three Thieves series (Scott Chantler)
Fantasy Sports
Mouse Guard
Hereville series (Barry Deutsch)
Zita The Spacegirl
Cleopatra In Space
El Deafo
Anything by Raina Telgemeier

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Schneider Heim posted:

There's also X-23 by Marjorie Liu, though Bendis has sort of disregarded and ruined all of Laura's character development in that book.

Tom Taylor pulled up quick to retrieve her.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

The Legend of Wonder Woman by Renae de Liz

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Henchgirl, Space Battle Lunchtime, Deadly Class, Cassandra Cain Batgirl, Goldie Vance, Adventures of Superhero Girl (with a new, recent edition!), Black Hammer...

I also think you'd have fun with Faith, which had one starter volume then four volumes in a series, which will soon become Faith & The Future Force with crossover shenanigans. Worth a shot.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Disclaimer: Deadly Class and Cassandra Cain Batgirl aren't necessarily lighthearted (even though they do have occasional humorous moments), but they are free of crossover BS and just do their own thing.

Feel free to add Fantasy Sports, Three Thieves, Delilah Dirk, and Hereville to the stack of "fun and fancy free stuff anyone can enjoy."

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

IIRC, after the story where Scrooge gets the news about his mom and crushes a steamboat while fighting some crooks, Europeans were miffed that their beloved Scrooge apparently had super-strength like American superheroes. In a follow-up story, though, Scrooge is asked about it and says "Huh? No, I just slipped out of my chains and fought them normally." The crooks might've just perceived Scrooge as being super-powered...

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

David F. Walker's Shaft series is good. Walker is a Shaft superfan and novelist, and he gets a lot of mileage from tweaking blaxploitation tropes and expectations.

Divinity from Valiant Comics is sci-fi bordering on fantasy. It takes place within a superhero universe, but by Divinity II and III the series becomes its own corner of that universe.

Space Fish fucked around with this message at 22:00 on Oct 9, 2017

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

How much of The Shadow should I read if I enjoyed Year One and just picked up The Shadow Now? (The writer for Now wrote a moving paean to pulp fiction that was printed in Year One)
There's a big ol' Comixology sale and I want to stock up on The Shadow goodness.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Bombshells and Gotham City Garage are two of a kind.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Quantum & Woody!

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Brocktoon posted:

Any must-read Etrigan appearances other than The Demon/Swamp Thing/Demon Knights?

IIRC, he makes a funny cameo in I Can't Believe It's Not The Justice League.
Regardless, that and Formerly Known As The Justice League (which comes before ICBINTJL) are top-shelf funny cape books.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

The Miles book is good as YA, but it needs waaay more Spider-Manning to justify its cover. Jason Reynolds did not nerd out nearly hard enough.

Wonder Woman: Warbringer by Leigh Bardugo is decent.
Marie Lu's Batman came out recently, no idea if it's good but she's a great YA author.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Marguerite Bennett, Pete J. Tomasi, Tom King, Dan Abnett, Kelly Thompson, Renae De Liz (pick up Legend of Wonder Woman if you missed it), Al Ewing, Sam Humphries, Ryan North (pace yourself), James Tynion IV, Christopher Priest, Gene Luen Yang, Tim Seeley, Tom Taylor, Steve Orlando (esp. Midnighter / Midnighter and Apollo), Jason Aaron, G. Willow Wilson, Brandon Montclare, Dennis Hopeless...

DC/Marvel have got plenty of gems between them. Young Animal's stable is pretty strong, too.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Valiant is always a good recommendation :dance:

What's the best way to get into Darkwing Duck comics? "The Definitively Dangerous Edition" looks like a great collection. Any word on the older stuff? All good & charming, or are there potholes along the way? I see a few print editions going sold as used on Amazon, and Comixology appears to be a bust. What's the deal?

Space Fish fucked around with this message at 06:54 on May 14, 2018

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Last Gang In Town - all in one trade!

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

How well written these are, hmm, ymmv, but here are some female-led comics I've enjoyed:

Be Prepared
Giant Spider & Me: A Post-Apocalyptic Tale
The Prince & The Dressmaker
Satania
Lighter Than My Shadow
Monstress
My Favorite Thing Is Monsters
Clean Room (okay, it's a Vertigo title, but still)
The Death-Defying Doctor Mirage
Complex Age
Harrow County
Velvet
Bandette
Shoplifter (rec'd mainly on strength of its visuals)
The Property
Delilah Dirk (series)
The Adventures of Superhero Girl

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

MockingQuantum posted:

I'm looking for a recommendation along the lines of Bone. Something upbeat, fun, maybe on the cartoonier side of things, and ideally fairly long and complete.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Three_Thieves_(graphic_novel_series)