Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008
American Vampire is really good. There are some early stories by Stephen King that are kind of weak, but it's pretty smooth sailing after that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008
I just want to recommend anyone who likes fun lighthearted comics NEEDS to read Bandette if you haven't already. It is utterly fantastic.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

O Hanraha-hanrahan posted:

Will have a look at Soule's other work, not familiar with him.

You're really missing out.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

Uthor posted:

The current X-Man Legacy?

http://www.amazon.com/X-Men-Legacy-Volume-Prodigal-Marvel/dp/0785162496/ref=tmm_pap_title_0?ie=UTF8&qid=1395954550&sr=1-1
This is the one they are talking about and it does sound like what you're looking for.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

Genetic Toaster posted:

100 Bullets is very much love it or hate it (I personally love it) and drops the gritty crime drama aspect partway through to focus on a conspiracy plot. It's super hard to get into and ridiculously hard to follow (I only really started to understand the plot after reading that fan website), so I wouldn't recommend it to someone trying to get into comic books.

I would maybe recommend the first trade at least. I think it's super solid story by itself.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

Anime_Otaku posted:

Enjoying Powers, Gotham Central and DD so far. Can't find X-statix on Comixology though X-Force shows up. I've read book one of Top 10 but can't seem to track down book 2 or a digital version. Going to give Alias a go.

The X-Statix stuff starts on X-Force #116, and you can find it on Marvel Unlimited. I'm pretty sure Alias isn't digital since it is MAX but the omni for it is getting a reprint.

zoux posted:

Well the Milligan/Allred X-Force starts in X-Force #116 and runs through #129 so that's a good chunk of comics.
After 129 it continues in a book actually called X-Statix.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

zoux posted:

Right but he was saying X-Statix wasn't on Comixology.

Marvel Unlimited also doesn't have Alias, but if you are just trying to catch a few runs here and there and don't care about owning digital copies, a month's worth of Unlimited is like 8 bucks and you can read sooo much stuff.

That's why I said the things I said in my post.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

zoux posted:

Punisher recommendations? Preferably stuff not "drawn" by Ariel Olavetti.

If you don't mind a team book, check out Thunderbolts from whenever Soule took over. It's really good.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

MeatwadIsGod posted:

I'm a huge Samurai Jack fan. Are the IDW books that take place after the series worth buying?

Absolutely. I think it does a pretty good job of capturing the feel of the show.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008
Hammond was the Torch in Marvels right? Read Marvels.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008
Dial H is really good. They touched on some really cool stuff like how the dials actually work which could have had big impacts in other books.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

zoux posted:

This is an extremely broad question but:

Last week I got the Planetary omni and this week I got the Sleeper omnibus. I was wondering what other good omnibus collections are out there? I like indie superheroish stuff like the two I mentioned, I'm not really interested in slice of life or whatever books. So good omnibuses that collect 20+ or so issues of really quality, complete runs is what I'm after.

I know it isn't indie but Uncanny X-Force by Remender. Animal Man by Grant Morrison. Out of the Onmis I have that are complete series those are my favorite.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

irlZaphod posted:

I'd recommend New Warriors, I just posted in the Marvel thread about how fun it is. I don't think I'd recommend Young Avengers for a 10 year old, though, certainly not the Gillen/McKelvie run. You might want to pre-read that before giving it to him. There is just a bit of "mature" content, I suppose.

TBH I don't remember much mature content unless you think homosexual relationships aren't appropriate for kids, but that book is definitely aimed at an older audience(teenagers).
I'm going to recommend the Marvel Unlimited if you have a tablet of any kind. It has all of Ultimate Spider-Man and good portions of everything else you listed(Marvel ones at least). Teen Titans does kind of blow, and the run I can think of that people really like is by Geoff Johns, so probably not for kids. I would maybe flip through some of GLC before you get into it because it can get pretty violent, GotG is a much better book if you want sci-fi adventures. ALSO get Cyclops, it's about the young Cyclops from the past hanging out in space with his space pirate father. Just make sure you get the new series.

hadji murad posted:

Outside of superheroes, Lookouts and Bandette would be real stimulating and look gorgeous.
Lookouts is really good despite being related to Penny Arcade.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

Hekk posted:

I added New Warriors to my list. I looked around and I agree that it looks like it might be a good fit. Also I appreciate the heads up about New Avengers. I've no problem with homosexual relationships or sexual implications. My boy is pretty mature and has a clear understanding of how babies are made. I'd just like to stay away from full nudity (he's a bit young to be rubbing one out anyway) and extremely graphic violence (decapitations, disembowelment, body parts flying around, etc.).

There isn't anything like that in YA, but I'm not sure if a 10-year-old would really connect with it. Does he have a tumblr? If he does then he'll probably like it.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008
The Wicked + The Divine was super good. I liked Thomas Alsop by BOOM!. it's about some family that got cursed and becomes "The Hand of the Island(New York)" and goes around stopping weird magic poo poo from happening. It has really nice art and is jumping between some pilgrim rear end dude which was the first one, and his great great grandson who is some drug addled rock star type dude who is making a reality show based on his adventures or something? I dunno it seems pretty cool.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

SALT CURES HAM posted:

Like, I want to read it, but it's long as poo poo, I don't have Marvel Unlimited, and my wallet is small. :smith:

I've heard good things about Unwritten (though the fact that it crosses over with Fables, which has been hot garbage for a very long time, is mildly turning me off) and I definitely want to check out Prophet and Glory at some point, since I remember hearing both are super great.

Just pay for a month of unlimited and make sure you cancel it before it charges you again.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

prefect posted:

I think it's the Mark Waid Fantastic Four run where Doom sacrifices the soul of a woman who loved him so he could make magical leather armor from her skin.

Mark Waid's FF is good but if you want an even slightly sympathetic Doom you should look elsewhere.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008
Not really super hero stuff but literally anything Brubaker has done for Image you would probably like.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

Lurdiak posted:

Fatale and...?

Velvet! I forgot he has only done two there, I should have said any of his indie stuff.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

WinnebagoWarrior posted:

Speaking of Batman, what are the must read graphic novels/trades? The only Batman thing I have ever read is Killing Joke and I liked it. I would prefer standalone type stuff as I know very little about the DC Universe. I plan on reading Day One and Long Halloween. I dont mind grim darkness (which seems to be a prerequisite for getting in to Batman) and I dont like goofy stuff too much unless its actually pretty funny. Also, just give me a top 2 or 3 favorites. I asked this question elsewhere and got several lists of, like, 10 each. Appreciated but I am realistically not going to spend the next year reading Batman. Just a few more beyond Year One, Killing Joke, and Long Halloween.

Black Mirror by Scott Snyder and Year 100 by Paul Pope. I would also suggest picking up anything with Dick as Batman.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

Uthor posted:

I think you mean Year One, which definitely be read.

You will also probably come across Dark Knight Returns sooner rather than later. It's a classic for a reason.

He literally said Year One in his post so I thought I'd suggest some different things.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008
You can read Grant Morrison's New X-Men which starts in New X-Men 114. Fantomex was created in that run.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

frenchnewwave posted:

Still here! But I'm a girl not a guy ;)
Will add that to my list.

Should I be, like, going to a comic book store or can I order all these off amazon?

You can order trades and stuff off of Amazon, but for single issues you'll probably want to check out your local store if you have one.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

Brocktoon posted:

I read the Hulk suggestions earlier, but any recommendations of good Hulk stuff for my 9-year-old nephew? He loves the Hulk, and I've been getting him Marvel Adventures Hulk collections for years, but he's a pretty mature, smart kid, and I think he can definitely handle something more sophisticated. (He's reading LotR on his own) I took him to a comic book store for the first time, and he was interested in the new Waid Hulk, but I don't know anything about it.

And same question goes for me, since I've never read any Hulk, and probably should.

I think Waid's Hulk was really good for the first couple arcs. Maybe like a trade or two of it.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

Brocktoon posted:

Hasn't there been only one arc so far? (Who Shot Bruce Banner?)

That was the relaunch. He actually starts here https://www.comixology.com/Indestructible-Hulk/comics-series/9005 and of the 4 trades listed there I think only the 3rd one is really lacking.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

Hakkesshu posted:

I don't know that it requires no background knowledge, since not only does it spin off from Siege: Loki and Gillen's Thor run, kid Loki himself is a result of something that happened in Fraction's run, which is itself a continuation of JMS' run. It's all very good, but I can't agree that it's mostly self-contained.

I only actually read the mainline Siege story line and I followed it just fine.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

Goatmask posted:

Thanks guys, I've been flooded with great advice.

I've always meant to check out Essex County (to be honest on that list I was a bit lukewarm on Underwater Welder, but enjoyed Sweettooth). And Jimmy Corrigan too.

I'll need to check out this Charles Burns trilogy. What else has he done that I should check out?

But first I think Asterios Polyp.

Thanks again.

Essex County is much better than Underwater Welder. Not that I didn't enjoy both.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008
They are less superheroy, but you should absolutely read East of West and Manhattan Projects, both are written by Hickman. Also read his F4/FF, the first omni is out and the second is coming out pretty soon.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008
If you liked Scott Pilgrim, try Seconds! It's very very good.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008
http://www.instocktrades.com/TP/Marvel/FANTASTIC-FOUR-BY-HICKMAN-OMNIBUS-HC-VOL-01/MAY130711
Hickman's Fantastic Four is one of my absolute favorite comics ever. This is the first half, and the second comes out in a couple weeks I think.
Also if your order on IST is over $50 they give you free shipping.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

Majuju posted:

HOLY poo poo I just spent, like, an hour trying to remember the title of a series I was hyped about and thought I had missed the launch of. Turns out I didn't, turns out it's Drifter, turns out it's out next week. I had to dig back through like a month of Becky Cloonan's vacation photos from Wales to find it.

Anyhow while I was blasting through every non-Marvel/DC publisher's catalog looking for whatever the hell I was thinking of, I ran across some stuff that I am interested in, and was wondering if anyone had opinions on Copperhead, Birthright, or The Trees they'd be willing to share???

I thought Copperhead was interesting, but I will probably trade wait it. I was enjoying Trees until the last issue that came out and now I'm loving it. There was a really cool dialogue on gender and sexuality in it that I really didn't expect.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

Vorik posted:

Are there any good teen titan comics?

Young Avengers by Kieron Gillen

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008
Also the current Iron Fist series by Karre would probably be up your alley.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

Why cookie Rocket posted:

I haven't really read Spider-Man since Erik Larsen was drawing Amazing, but the concept of "Agent Venom" seems really interesting to me. Where should I pick up if I want to see how that character was created, what he's been up to, etc?

I think all you need is the Venom series by Rick Remender.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

SunAndSpring posted:

So I've been reading a lot of Grant Morrison (Doom Patrol, Animal Man, All-Star Superman), as well as Saga and Kill Six Billion Demons, and I'm really liking the weird bullshit that happens in those comics. Are there any other good surreal and bizarre comics like these?

If you want some weird meta comics I just read Satoshi Kun's Opus and it is very much that. A manga artist's characters come to life and try to stop him from killing them off.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

crondaily posted:

Am I crazy for thinking that All-Star Superman feels really spaced out?

Like compared to Long Halloween it feels like it's all over the place rather than happening in order.

I think most of the issues tell complete stories that aren't always directly connected with the next, so it can be jarring if you are reading it in a trade. It's also one of the best Superman comics ever.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

shaqula posted:

any reccomendations for poo poo like the new jonah hex, fear agent, loveless, and manifest destiny. fear agent has gotta be my favorite comic ever. also liked maybe preacher, transmetropolitan, and hellblazer.

The team that was doing All-Star Western has done like 100 issues or something of Jonah Hex. If you haven't read those I've heard they are pretty good.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

El Gallinero Gros posted:

1) How is Peter David's Supergirl run?

2. How's the current Loki series?

I really liked Loki: Agent of Asgard up until Original Sin & SIXIS started and I feel like it's kind of been floundering since. I have faith that Ewing will get it together once it stops getting pulled into crossovers for a bit. Also if you haven't already you need to read Journey into Mystery by Gillen and Young Avengers by Gillen/McKelvie if you want to know what Loki has been up to.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

El Gallinero Gros posted:

I have read both, hence my desrire for more well-written Loki!

Then yeah I would check out at least the first trade of the current series.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

Teenage Fansub posted:

Matt Fraction/Lee Allred's FF (not Fantastic Four) was a great follow up.
It's a terrible follow up if you are looking for more cool Doom and Valeria interactions, but overall it's a good read.

MisterShine posted:

So I just finished reading the Hickman run of Fantastic Four. I really found the Valeria/Doom angle interesting and would like to see more arcs involving Uncle Doom. Also how the hell did that even happen?

I've read very little FF in general, so any recommendations would be awesome

You should really check out Hickman's Avengers if you liked his FF. I know it's not really what you were asking for but it is very good.(And it does have Doom and Val in a couple issues.)