Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
And I'd expect DH to at least do a digital fire sale on Conan in the next few months.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

site posted:

The one where eminem does the face while he fucks you in the rear end

As much as I dislike them both, Ennis is much better than Millar. God, I hate Wanted. I'm actually mad my best friend from uni bought me it when I said I needed to read it for that dumb toxx thread a year or two back.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

hadji murad posted:

How is Wonder Woman Rebirth after Greg Rucka? I notice there are a few different writers.

*dashes into thread breathless*

OK, so, the filler arc right after Rucka is fine, if unspectacular in my eyes, has some nice stuff that hints at the 'shouldn't Wolverine donate blood/organs 24/7 forever and that'd be more useful' line of thinking which is always a dicey proposition. James Robinson's run is... very competently done, and very wrongheaded in what it sets out to do, in my eyes. Diana constantly has to be saved by male family members throughout, her retconned-in twin brother is the special snowflake who is the real hero for most of it and it's just basically clear Robinson has no clue how to tell a story where women are the driving force.
G Willow WIlson's run is one I like more and more the more distance I have from my first reading. She has a nice dry sense of humour, and I feel like she had some long term threads that were cut short by DC's line-wide events at the time. And there's an interesting, if subtle, refocusing of the character back to Golden Age roots in a way.
Steve Orlando comes off to me a bit like Dan Slott or Nick Spencer, a 'look at all the obscure lore I know and can show off' manner that is hit or miss. His first issue is a done-in-one that's absolutely excellent and he does some nice work reintegrating the Amazons and Boston back into Diana's world, but not sure how I feel about his attempt to do a Wonder Woman Sinister Six type thing.
And finally the just-concluded Mariko Tamaki run was... disappointing. I've loved her work over at Marvel generally, and I really hope her Detective Comics run is cool, but this felt like an editorially mandated 'make it kinda like the movie so the trades are on shelves while the movie is on streaming in theatres on streaming" and it just feels very uninspired with a new villain who has what should be a tragic backstory, but we don't get enough of a sense of who they are before the turn to really care.

Gaz-L fucked around with this message at 22:52 on Dec 25, 2020

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Orlando's probably worth a shot at least, as well. He's at the very least got a story direction he wants to go and has a decent understanding of the character, just certain story beats didn't land so well for me. He certainly seems to be the run that has the most impact of what's happening with the Future State/Infinite Horizon stuff. Plus I gotta give him props for being willing to engage with Donna Troy, which most other writers are steering a wide berth around the Wonder Girls because they don't want to deal with the continuity quagmire.