Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stagger_Lee
Mar 25, 2009
Uncanny X-Men #104 is the first appearance, with the "Cyclop's father" reveal in #154. X-Men in space has always been weird to me, especially as wikipedia seems to suggest that it only happened cause Marvel kept putting off publishing Cockrum's team of space pirates and he talked Claremont into writing them in with the connection to Cyclops.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stagger_Lee
Mar 25, 2009
It also implies that Professor X's telepathy can function faster-than-light, which really bothered me because I am dumb and lame.

Stagger_Lee
Mar 25, 2009

Nehru the Damaja posted:

This isn't a comic, but you ever play The Secret World? I ask 'cause it's often among the best writing I've seen in games and it had no business being wasted on a drat MMO. Anything worth reading that has a setting like that? It's a modern setting with hidden magic and intrigue. Everything from New England towns grappling with the Cthulhu mythos, old witch stories and Indian legends to massive multinationals digging up ancient tombs of apostate pharaohs engaged in the cult worship of a a mind-warping black contagious ooze. Throw in secret society lore, government conspiracies, etc. for flavor.

Anything that would hit me on that kind of level? Like crazy esoteric poo poo in an otherwise grounded world. The more intrigue or skullduggery the better.

It's a black and white arty comic, just for fair warning, but if you haven't read From Hell you really should.

Stagger_Lee
Mar 25, 2009
I love Morrison's 1-2-3-4 mini, which totally sold me on the Fantastic Four, having previously not really gotten the appeal. He hits a lot of the interesting emotional character beats while also turning in a standard-weird Morrison story.

Stagger_Lee
Mar 25, 2009
On the Black Panther tip, Don McGregor on the original Jungle Action series is actually really great. I don't know that it makes me excited for a Black Panther movie, because I don't think the Wakanda stuff works at all in a contemporary movie, especially the tribal imagery? I don't actually like comics movies that much, though. They're good comics.

Stagger_Lee
Mar 25, 2009
Yeah, I'd definitely recommend Ultimate, with the caveat that turn-of-the-millennium comics can tend to look especially uncool. Clean, though. I haven't actually looked at it recently, and my guess is that my issue is more with the coloring/inking practices than with Bagley.

Stagger_Lee
Mar 25, 2009
One of those Team-Up issues is a Spider-man/Daredevil/Punisher that I think doesn't make any sense in the Ultimate universe but has insanely awesome Sienkiewicz stuff.

edit: So close.

Stagger_Lee
Mar 25, 2009
I am super stupid and misread the posts above me. I am an idiot who loves comics.

Stagger_Lee fucked around with this message at 16:23 on Jun 23, 2023

Stagger_Lee
Mar 25, 2009
In Gillen's Journey Into Mystery run in the early 2010s, Kid Loki adopts a little Hel puppy, and names it Thori, and it is very good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stagger_Lee
Mar 25, 2009
Sandman kicks off with an off-screen rape and has an early issue completely devoted to horrific ultraviolence. It's a great candidate for an early teen to come to on their own, as those don't really characterize the run at all, but worth being aware of.