Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SMP
May 5, 2009

Inhumans: Where do I start? With the new post-Infinity series?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SMP
May 5, 2009

Comixology's sale today is Captain America. I've heard constant recommendations to check out Ed Brubaker's run on it. Is this the run they're recommending? Because I notice he is the writer on both vol 5 and 6.

SMP
May 5, 2009

Brocktoon posted:

Looks like the sale is only v6, which is great, but I would read v5 first. The whole Brubaker run is amazing.

Thanks, I picked up v6 now since it's cheap. Hopefully v5 will go on sale closer to when the movie releases. Is there a good goon-recommended reading order around? I know next to nothing about the dude except what I saw in the movies & cultural osmosis.

SMP
May 5, 2009

Hakkesshu posted:

Thor: God of Thunder. The first two trades. The whole God Butcher arc is as far as I am concerned the best book to come out of NOW. It's entirely self-contained and rad as hell.

Seconding this. Thor: GOT's god butcher arc is actually what got me into comics.

SMP
May 5, 2009

Teenage Fansub posted:

The current Avengers/New Avengers series' aren't close to as light hearted as the movie was, but it's some good, heady, conceptual sci-fi stuff.

For some great comic reading, I'd recommend going through Jonathan Hickman's Fantastic Four,

Speaking of this...

I caught up on Hickman's Avengers/New Avengers/Avengers World stuff so far and it's amazing. New Avengers in particular. I love the themes and mood in New Avengers. I enjoy the crazy sci-fi concept and the way it's getting out of control. The villains in NA are great (most notably the Black Swan and Black Priests), issue #15 was particularly great for showing all the alternate universe in which things have gone horribly wrong and they get a better idea of what they're dealing with.

I'm a huge fan of Hickman now. I'm reading his Fantastic Four run at the moment and plan on checking out his other creator owned projects, but where do I go after that? I guess what I'm looking for is long-form sci-fi that gets real dark.

SMP
May 5, 2009

Planetary sounds pretty great and Casanova's art looks pretty great. I'll definitely check both out.

Skwirl posted:

Annihilation and then the Abnett / Lanning cosmic stuff is really good, different in tone than Hickman, but it goes to some dark places. Seconding Planetary also.

Forgot to mention I've read Annihilation/Annihilation: Conquest/War & Realm of Kings/Thanos Imperative/Annihilators too.

SMP
May 5, 2009

ExMortis posted:

I'm generally out of the loop on most comics, so couple things:

Played some Squirrel Girl in the Marvel Heroes PC thing and found her to be cute in an earnest way which was counter to what I expected (like, Deadpool at his worst, plus squirrels). Is there any good Squirrel Girl stuff that is more "adorable and genuinely trying hard to be a superhero" than just "LOL Squirrels beat Dr. Doom, guys!! Right? Right?!?"

Also not having ever read any Ghost Rider, what are some good stories for him? The only related thing I've read is some of the Larry Hama BLAZE which chafed on me. Felt like it was trying too hard to be Spawn with weirdo freaks and kee-razy serial killers. That said I do genuinely like early Spawn so I'm not necessarily against *90's*. Is Midnight Sons worth reading?

Jason Aaron's run for Ghost Rider was great, just be sure to get the mini-series that finishes it up (Ghost Rider: Heaven's on Fire)

SMP
May 5, 2009

Can anyone recommend a modern Thor reading list? The OP recommends Thor, vol. 3 by JMS and The Mighty Thor by Fraction, but I've also heard things (good? bad? can't remember) about Kieron Gillen's Journey Into Mystery and Kid Loki stuff.

SMP
May 5, 2009

Somehow I forgot to mention that Thor: God of Thunder is like my favorite series ever and that's why I want to dive into more Thor :v:

SMP
May 5, 2009

Jack B Nimble posted:

A while back I asked for a pretty specific recommendation (female lead,a mature comic but not overtly sexualized, some action but explicitly not a costumed adventurer) and I was told to read Alias.

Alias was perfect, exactly what I wanted, loved it. My question this time is much easier: is the sequel series "the pulse" also good? If I loved Alias will I like The Pulse?

I just finished Alias as well, then read the Pulse. Honestly it's not very focused on Jessica Jones OR Luke Cage. It's pretty much the Ben Ulrich show. It's pretty different and only alright.

SMP
May 5, 2009

Rat Queens?

SMP
May 5, 2009

genghis.khan posted:

So what would you recommend to someone who is greatly enjoying Hickman's Avengers universe? Some of the things I love about it:

- Self contained story. I had never read a single Avengers story before this and I was able to start at issue #1 with ease.
- World-building and interesting mythos
- Lots of different superheroes
- Action

Hickman's Fantastic Four/FF
All the Giffens/Abnett/Lanning cosmic stuff:
Annihilation
Annihilation Conquest
(optional) Realm and War of Kings
Thanos Imperative

SMP
May 5, 2009

Daredevil very quickly became my favorite superhero and the Netflix series trailer got me hyped as hell. What are some other good reads? I've read:

Frank Miller's Daredevil
Born Again
Man Without Fear
Daredevil: Yellow
Bendis' Daredevil
Brubaker's Daredevil
End of Days
Waid's Daredevil

Stuff with Gladiator, Typhoid Mary, Purple Man (yes I've read Alias), and maybe The Owl would be cool. I've read a lot of Elektra/Bullseye/Kingpin stuff by now, so focus on his lesser villains would be cool. His journeys in San Francisco or with Black Widow (not the current run) would be sweet too.

SMP
May 5, 2009

I'll definitely check out Nocenti's run next then. It also seems like there's a fair few miniseries that people like too (like Daredevil: Noir), so I'll check them out with the Death of Jean DeWolff. Thanks!

SMP
May 5, 2009

There's a sweet BOGO DC sale going on at comixology right now. Should I pick up Ostrander's Suicide Squad or Moore's Swamp Thing?

SMP
May 5, 2009

:negative: i was hoping someone would dissuade me from that

SMP
May 5, 2009

redbackground posted:

Well, they're both fantastic. You can't go wrong either way. I would strongly suggest you read the Legends miniseries before Squad, though, and Secret Origins #14 after that for the full Squad narrative--it bridges the creation of the SS during Legends and the beginning of the ongoing. All of it is written by Ostrander, too.

Thanks. I'll probably go with Ostrander's stuff since there's a greater chance Swamp Thing will go on sale again in a few months with an Alan Moore sale.

e: I don't see Legends (or the Doom Patrol/SS special) on Comixology :/

e2: Nevermind, found Legends. Comixology's search is terrible.

SMP fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Nov 30, 2015

SMP
May 5, 2009

Veg posted:

The start of Brubakers run was better than the start of Bendis.

Brubaker's run was very enjoyable but I'll be damned if I can remember anything past the prison arc.

SMP
May 5, 2009

I'm pretty sure that I'll never end up reading the Green Lantern saga simply because it's way too many fuckin' trades to pick up. My only hope is that it's on the DC streaming service whenever that pops up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SMP
May 5, 2009

FastestGunAlive posted:

A little overwhelmed by the Marvel sale on Amazon. I'm not a longtime comic reader but I am familiar with most characters through video games and general nerdery. I did read Civil War about 7 years ago. Other than that I've recently read Capt America up to just post-Civil War, Way's Deadpool Vol 1, and Claremont's Nightcrawler Vol 1 thanks to other recent Amazon sales (enjoyed all three). Beyond that I'm not up to speed on recent and current events in the universe.

Right my list has Moon Knight: From the Dead, Iron First: the Last Iron Fist Story, Black Panther: A Nation Under our Feet, Guardians of the Galaxy: Cosmic Avengers, Infinity Gauntlet, Way's Deadpool Vol 2, and X-Men Gold.

Looking for recommendations on more Cap, Iron Man (seems to have a lot of different titles), X-Men (I like Nightcrawler, Kitty, and Wolverine. Interested in them or any "newer" characters I might not recognize). I'm also open to recommendations on other tie-in events or lesser known/niche characters. If the older stuff hasn't aged well I have no problem jumping in on more recent stuff.

Cap hasn't really had a great series since Brubaker's run finished, so you should look into buying up the rest of his post-Civil War stuff. You might also like Remender's run which immediately follows, but it's a pretty radical change in direction that not everyone likes.

For like 9 issues, Iron Man was "evil" and moved to San Francisco in Superior Iron Man. That was a great, albeit short and without a resolution series.

For Wolverine, check out Tom Taylor's ongoing All-New Wolverine which stars Laura.