Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GOD IS BED
Jun 17, 2010

ALL HAIL GOD MAMMON
:minnie:

College Slice
There's a comic about a teacher who leaves his baby in a hot car. I wanna say it was by Dash Shaw and it was black and white. Anyone know what I'm talking about? I thought I read it online too, if that's any help.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GOD IS BED
Jun 17, 2010

ALL HAIL GOD MAMMON

College Slice

Sanford posted:

On a similar note, if anyone can point me at any Stormwatch volumes that are worth reading, particularly leading directly into the Ellis run on Authority, that would be cool and good. Thanks.

The Ellis issues of Stormwatch and Aliens vs. Wildstorm or whatever the title of that was. Anything else is not going to be so great. There's 5 trades of SW by Ellis that collects everything.

GOD IS BED
Jun 17, 2010

ALL HAIL GOD MAMMON

College Slice

Karenina posted:

Bonus if it's a comic revolving around a city. Not totally sure how to describe it, but it's the vibe I got from Berlin, The Wire, and James Joyce's Dubliners.

Building Stories by Chris Ware

GOD IS BED
Jun 17, 2010

ALL HAIL GOD MAMMON

College Slice
Archie vs Predator
Archie - The Married Life

Criminal - Last of the Innocent (but that's Image)

GOD IS BED
Jun 17, 2010

ALL HAIL GOD MAMMON

College Slice

Skwirl posted:

I haven't read it, but I imagine Chip Zdarsky's Jughead is worth reading.

seconding this, can't believe I forgot to recommend it before

GOD IS BED
Jun 17, 2010

ALL HAIL GOD MAMMON

College Slice

obi_ant posted:

Is Paper Girls any good? Also, I'm wondering about Black Science, but it seems vol. 2 is sold out for some weird reason.

Black Science is fantastic, but I love anything Remender does. Vol 2 is probably out because the series is about to end and they'll probably be putting out a new printing soon.

GOD IS BED
Jun 17, 2010

ALL HAIL GOD MAMMON

College Slice

El Gallinero Gros posted:

What Predator comics are good?

AVP - ARCHIE VS PREDATOR

GOD IS BED
Jun 17, 2010

ALL HAIL GOD MAMMON

College Slice

Vulpes Vulpes posted:

It's not a long run, but the first trade of Black Cat comes out next week and we've been trying to hit the action/comedy balance with it.

"We" as in you had something to do with the creation of this great book?

Wonderful comic, highly recommended.

GOD IS BED
Jun 17, 2010

ALL HAIL GOD MAMMON

College Slice

Yvonmukluk posted:

He wrote it, yes.

And I second (third?) the recommendation.

Well heck yeah! Gonna support a goon and buy a great book this week!

GOD IS BED
Jun 17, 2010

ALL HAIL GOD MAMMON

College Slice

Honestly, Busiek is a phenomenal writer, he deserves a bit more love in general.

qft

e: read the super pets issues and have tissues ready

GOD IS BED
Jun 17, 2010

ALL HAIL GOD MAMMON

College Slice

FAT BATMAN posted:

It occurred to me today that by adulthood, Peter Parker should be an accomplished professional photographer with a secret album he can’t show anyone but trusted friends; pictures (that don’t star Spidey) of NYC and life in NYC from angles and perspectives that would difficult/impossible without Spidey powers, like from the top of a skyscraper, or looking straight down off the side of a glass panel building, or a picture of a public basketball court from on top of a hoop.

Are there any stories focusing on his non-Spidey photography, or do I need to get to work writing something called “The Secret Portfolio of Peter Parker”? Also has Spidey ever taught the audience or an audience stand-in how to get into amateur photography explaining things like white balance and rule of thirds and lenses?

This sounds amazing. The closest I could think of similarly was the already mentioned book of Spidey photos, "Webs." There was a cover for Web of Spider-Man that was one of the first photo covers- it had an actor in a Spidey costume, an early version of the cosplay covers Marvel has been running.

GOD IS BED
Jun 17, 2010

ALL HAIL GOD MAMMON

College Slice

sliami posted:

I just read Breaking Glass and it was a banger. I can't stop thinking about Steve Pugh's work for it. Speaking of, do you guys know any other good books with him/artists on his tier?

Pugh did a long run at the end of Animal Man, I fell in love with his work there. He also did the Saint of Killers story in Preacher (vol 4 of the paperbacks) that was also brilliant. In addition to the previously mentioned Flintstones (which was great), he also has some work in Doom Patrol, 2020 Visions, Hellblazer, and Hitman. I also wanna say he has credits on a recent Harley Quinn book, but I dunno if it is out yet or not.

GOD IS BED
Jun 17, 2010

ALL HAIL GOD MAMMON

College Slice

Selachian posted:

Have you read Stray Bullets? It's very much in the Jim Thompson noir tradition of petty crooks making bad choices that land them in the poo poo.

Stray Bullets is my favorite crime comic, it is amazing on every level.

GOD IS BED
Jun 17, 2010

ALL HAIL GOD MAMMON

College Slice

EdsTeioh posted:

Seconding this! Lapham absolutely nailed the late 70’s dirtbag feel in this book. One of my favorites from the 90’s.

If you missed it, Lapham's been making new SB over the last few years: SB Killers and Sunshine and Roses. Just as good as the original, he hasn't missed a step.

GOD IS BED
Jun 17, 2010

ALL HAIL GOD MAMMON

College Slice
If you liked Fraction and Lieber's previous work, you'll love Jimmy Olsen.

GOD IS BED
Jun 17, 2010

ALL HAIL GOD MAMMON

College Slice

Nyeehg posted:

I'm a fan of Damian Wayne and read a lot of stuff with him before i just fell out of comics to deal with life. Now that i have time I'm not sure what to read next(if anything).

I read the following and enjoyed them:

Batman by Grant Morrison
Batman and Robin (the new 52 run)
Robin: Son of Batman
Super Sons (Peter J Tomasi)

Has there been any good comics with Damian Wayne in them that have been released since these titles? Alternatively is there anything I've missed that's worth going back to? I know he was in the Teen Titans but I've avoided that as the last Titans runs i've read were dire.

He's been cool in DCeased (I forget which book- there was a new issue this week). The latest Teen Titans run hasn't been bad. Damian being a huge jerk while the rest of the team is being adorable is more entertaining than I would have guessed.

GOD IS BED
Jun 17, 2010

ALL HAIL GOD MAMMON

College Slice
Rebirth has been going since 2016 and it's pretty good. Tom King's Batman started in rebirth and I loved his run, probably my favorite Batman since Grant Morrison's run. Flash was also enjoyable.

e: looking over the wiki for Rebirth, there were a lot of good titles: Suicide Squad, Justice League of America, Deathstroke, New Superman, Super Sons are all worth a read.

GOD IS BED fucked around with this message at 00:37 on Dec 1, 2020

GOD IS BED
Jun 17, 2010

ALL HAIL GOD MAMMON

College Slice

Skwirl posted:

When did Nocenti leave the book?

1991, and Hornhead was bad until Bendis came along. Lee Weeks drew a lot of the 90s awfulness, so at least it looked pretty.

GOD IS BED
Jun 17, 2010

ALL HAIL GOD MAMMON

College Slice
BBV Lou specifically mentioned it to be skipped, haha. It was really dumb, which is sad because it had decent plot potential.

e: and Jock's great art

GOD IS BED
Jun 17, 2010

ALL HAIL GOD MAMMON

College Slice
Simon Hanselmann's CRISIS ZONE just ended. https://www.instagram.com/simon.hanselmann/ Start at March 13 for the ride of your life.

GOD IS BED
Jun 17, 2010

ALL HAIL GOD MAMMON

College Slice

Waltzing Along posted:

I read The Boys and thought it was fantastic. Probably the best comic series I've ever read. I grabbed the first volume of Preacher as that seemed like a natural spot to go next.

What else is up there with The Boys in terms of quality?

Ennis is kinda hit or miss with a lot of people. I love him, and would recommend his Punisher Max run. His 616 Punisher run and his Hitman book at DC are good and similar in theme to The Boys: taking the piss out of superheroes; but they aren't as polished as The Boys.

GOD IS BED
Jun 17, 2010

ALL HAIL GOD MAMMON

College Slice

Azhais posted:

In my continuing trend of reading the MCU related stuff, are any of the Eternals or Shang-Chi comics worth reading, and if so where would you start?

Both current books are really good. As mentioned earlier, Yang is writing Shang-Chi, and Gillen is writing Eternals.

GOD IS BED
Jun 17, 2010

ALL HAIL GOD MAMMON

College Slice

Solitair posted:

Looking for anything that has one or more of the following:
-Keeps a lot of balls in the air without dropping them.
-Gets a lot done in not a lot of pages.
-Body horror.
-Surreal horror.
-Authentically written zoomers.
-Changes its core premise dramatically at least once, in a way that makes sense when you read it.
-Sociological storytelling.
-PoC protagonists, especially indigenous ones.
-Queer protagonists.
-Ensemble cast.

Dunno how serious you want your comics, but Megg, Mogg, and Owl by Simon Hanselmann hits on a lot of that stuff. Megahex or Crisis Zone would be a good place to start.

GOD IS BED
Jun 17, 2010

ALL HAIL GOD MAMMON

College Slice
Hulk IS ridiculously good and hits that horror vibe you're looking for as well. You should also check out The Black Coin for more horror- single issue stories from a variety of creators, including Zdarsky.
Zdarsky also has a great Daredevil run going on, and wrote a fantastic issue of Crossover (definitely read Crossover).

GOD IS BED
Jun 17, 2010

ALL HAIL GOD MAMMON

College Slice

Any Image stuff you'd recommend?

That Texas Blood
Made In Korea
The Good Asian
Time Before Time
The Department of Truth
the aforementioned Crossover

This is stuff I'm enjoying right now from Image. That TX Blood and Dept of Truth might satisfy your horror itch.

GOD IS BED
Jun 17, 2010

ALL HAIL GOD MAMMON

College Slice

Desert Bus posted:

I'm looking for kid friendly comics for an 8 year old girl who isn't super into reading but also loves picture books. I'm thinking the Terry Pratchett Discworld graphic novels or similar, but would love some recommendations. Christmas is coming up fast.

Edit: she loves LOVES animals. Are there Redwall comics? I dunno.

Mouse Guard is all about little mice knights, it's pretty cool but it's been a while since I read any so I dunno how appropriate for an 8 year old it would be.
I got a book called Cat Ninja for my nephews, but it's pretty cutsey, maybe a little too cute for an 8 year old.
Goodbye Chunky Rice by Craig Thompson might be good.
James Kochalka also makes some good kids style books, Pinky and Stinky is the one I own.

e: I'm pretty sure there are some Redwall comics out there, but can't say for sure, I lost interest in Redwall back in high school, so the comics never popped up on my radar.

GOD IS BED
Jun 17, 2010

ALL HAIL GOD MAMMON

College Slice

Narzack posted:

I've been kind of starved for some good genre zombie stuff.

Year Zero was really good.

Also seconding the Ennis Hellblazer run. I got the omnibus for xmas, it's one of his best works.

If your taste is as poo poo as mine, you might enjoy Crossed. Truly depraved stuff, but if you like Ennis and zombies, you might get some enjoyment out of it. David Lapham's run was good as well.

GOD IS BED
Jun 17, 2010

ALL HAIL GOD MAMMON

College Slice

Regarding the Goon, are the library editions the way to go? Or is it like Hellboy where the omnibus is more complete?

If they're anything like the Black Hammer library editions I have, they get all the main story, but no spinoffs- those are a separate book series.

GOD IS BED
Jun 17, 2010

ALL HAIL GOD MAMMON

College Slice
seconding the Brubaker recommendation

e: vvv seconding the Stray Bullets recommendation (anything by the Laphams is good imo)

GOD IS BED fucked around with this message at 02:53 on Jul 28, 2022

GOD IS BED
Jun 17, 2010

ALL HAIL GOD MAMMON

College Slice

Selachian posted:

David Lapham' Stray Bullets.

If you like gritty crime with deep characterization, I can't recommend Stray Bullets enough

GOD IS BED
Jun 17, 2010

ALL HAIL GOD MAMMON

College Slice

magic cactus posted:

Howdy!

I thought I posted here once before a good while ago, but I just checked and nothing came up in my post history so... :shrug:

I just tore through The Department of Truth and loved it. I want more weird comics like that. Give me a bunch of philosophical pontificating about reality to read while I wait for the next issue because the person who recommended it to me forgot to mention it's still ongoing. Stuff I've already read:

Morrison's The Invisibles, Doom Patrol, The Filth, The Nameless, Animal Man, Arkham Asylum, Flex Mentallo... (I really like Morrison)
Moore's Watchmen, Promethia (good, could do without the weird sex but I also read Lost Girls out of morbid curiosity so :shrug:,) and Swamp Thing
Peter Milligan's run on Shade, The Changing Man, Rogan Gosh, and Enigma (Shade is probably a top 5 of all time for me)
Sandman (owns)
Prophet (2012)
ODY-C
Charles Burn's Black Hole and X'd Out
Zero by Ales Kot (I read a few other books of his but this was the only one to really grab me)
Mazebook by Lemire
Like a Velvet Glove Cast In Iron
The Incal
Hellblazer up to the new-52 Constantine reset
The Unwritten

I don't have a problem I swear.

I think you'll love Mind MGMT by Matt Kindt

GOD IS BED
Jun 17, 2010

ALL HAIL GOD MAMMON

College Slice

magic cactus posted:

:sigh: I'll update the OP. Hey at least I know what I like! Appreciate it though.

Asterios Polyp?

e: looking over my indie shelf for stuff dealing with identity/perception, metafiction, cool cosmic concepts, "Morrisonish" books:
Superspy and Revolver by Kindt
Once and Future by Kieron Gillen is similar to Dept of Truth, only more action
Alex + Ada by Luna and Vaughn
Memetic by Tynion
Miracleman by The Original Writer (lol)

if you want a great read, but a bit of a challenge, check out One Soul by Ray Fawkes. Has a "Morrison omnifiction" style but a very grounded appearance.

GOD IS BED fucked around with this message at 05:32 on Nov 23, 2022

GOD IS BED
Jun 17, 2010

ALL HAIL GOD MAMMON

College Slice

magic cactus posted:

I'll check all this out, do you have a suggestion where to start with ennis war story stuff?

Sara

GOD IS BED
Jun 17, 2010

ALL HAIL GOD MAMMON

College Slice

Cornwind Evil posted:

Looking for something new to read. I will take anything. I have a slight preference for lesser known but still good comic book runs like say, Jason Aaron's Avengers run (I have no idea if it was good, I'm just using it as an example of what I'd prefer as opposed to say, something in the vein of Walt Simonson's Thor run, which is quite well known), but as said, I will take any recommendation, any genre, anything. You might recommend stuff I've read before, that's fine, you can't read my mind and reading history. Just make it clear if you're recommending something bad just so I can see how bad it is.

Stray Bullets by Lapham

Lazarus by Rucka

American Splendor by Pekar

X-Men Legacy by Carey

Superfuckers by Kochalka

the Reckless series by Brubaker and Phillips

Daredevil by Ann Nocenti (most issues 236-291)

GOD IS BED fucked around with this message at 22:24 on Dec 24, 2022

GOD IS BED
Jun 17, 2010

ALL HAIL GOD MAMMON

College Slice
The first one was decent, the second and third are more of what I expected from Mark Millar. The art is consistently nice. I think it's about to conclude soon.

GOD IS BED
Jun 17, 2010

ALL HAIL GOD MAMMON

College Slice
Carey's X-Men Legacy has a couple of redemption arcs- Danger, Daken, Frenzy, and even Prof X.

GOD IS BED
Jun 17, 2010

ALL HAIL GOD MAMMON

College Slice
Human Target has maybe one or two issues left so it's technically still running.

GOD IS BED
Jun 17, 2010

ALL HAIL GOD MAMMON

College Slice

How is Where's the Furthest Place from Here?

I enjoy it, but I'm a big Jawbreaker/Jets to Brazil fan. It's kinda confusing and takes a while to get going, but I expect that from a title loosely based on song lyrics.

GOD IS BED
Jun 17, 2010

ALL HAIL GOD MAMMON

College Slice
Then jump on in, friend! The art is great, the characters are complex and intriguing, the world is weird and wild. It's a fun read.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GOD IS BED
Jun 17, 2010

ALL HAIL GOD MAMMON

College Slice

Rental Sting posted:

Just finished King, Gerad, and Shaner's Strange Adventures, really enjoyed the parts with Mister Terrific and would like to read more stuff with the character but it seems he's never had a solo book. Is there a run of JSA or something else where Mister Terrific is used to good effect?

The Terrifics was a fun read. Lighter in tone than Strange Adventures, but it's solid stories featuring Mr Terrific, Plastic Man, and Metamorpho. I do remember Mr Terrific being a badass any time he was in Geoff John's Justice Society of America series, but I can't remember any specific run.

Rental Sting posted:

I killed this thread, I apologize. But I'm going to try again: are there any good non-Man Without Fear 90s Daredevil runs or miniseries? Trying to go all in on the character and it seems like the received wisdom is to skip from Nocenti's run to Bendis, but surely some good DD stories were written in the 90s, so what are they?

Chichester and Weeks had some decent issues, but nothing too fantastic. I mostly read those issues for Week's art.