Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Saeku
Sep 22, 2010
I'm just getting into superhero comics. The ones I like most have a surreal/trippy side -- read pretty much everything by Peter Milligan and Grant Morrison and recently enjoyed the New 52 Animal Man and Dial H. Shade: the Changing Man is the perfect example of the kind of thing I want. Any recs in the same vein?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saeku
Sep 22, 2010
Thanks for the recommendations for psychedelic comics, folks. Finally got a chance to of through all of them.

Jack Kirby's Fourth World: already read and enjoyed this.
Casanova: a bit cerebral and I didn't find any of the characters likeable. Didn't bother continuing after Luxuria, but the writing was snappy enough that I'm ordering Hawkeye and Sex Criminals.
Moon Knight (2014): I always thought Moon Knight had a great hook, but dropped the 2006 series because he felt like a generic "gritty" vigilante. This is first single issue I've bought in years and years, on the strength of the beautiful cover and Waren Ellis's name. There's not much content for me to judge yet, but it's an insanely pretty book with a much more distinctive plot and milieu than the 2006 iteration. Very atmospheric. Not really what I was thinking of but I'm hooked.
X-Men: Legacy (2012): colourful, intriguing, and trippy while still a breezy and comprehensible read, and accessible to me despite my total lack of X-Men knowledge. Absolutely perfect recommendation, can't wait for the final volume.

Baby Broomer posted:

I have always wanted to read The Flash, so what're the recommended Flash runs? I'm willing to read really old comics, in fact I love them, so please feel free to recommend some 50's stories if they're any good.

Also, I'm almost through Ennis' Punisher Max. What are the best Ennis books? I ask because I've heard a lot of horror stories. If it helps, I hated the Boys and that book alone almost put me off Ennis forever until I started reading his Hellblazer run.

If you like Ennis's Hellblazer run and haven't already read Preacher, you should check it out. It's got the same sort of down-to-earth dark humour and is widely considered one of Ennis's best works.

---

edit: Oh yeah, and I could use more recs -- had a great time this week with X-Men: Legacy, Superior Spider-Man, the Superior Foes of Spider-Man, and the X-Men First Class movie. I'm really into these kinds of storylines where the focus is less on whether or not the hero will win a given fight, and more about the internal conflicts that drive heros and villains. Any more character-focused books I should be getting into? (Not involving Batman. I've already read a lot of introspective books about Batman.)

Saeku fucked around with this message at 00:24 on Apr 3, 2014

Saeku
Sep 22, 2010

zoux posted:

I mean, is there anything in Ult. marvel to avoid, really? I know Ultimates 3/Ultimatum is supposed to be pretty awful, but I think I have to read it because it fucks with so much poo poo.

Back in the day I read the four ongoings through Before Ultimates 3, so I've heard Ultimatium "ruins Ultimate Marvel" until the relaunch. True? (And The only specific complaints I've heard are Blob eats Wasp and Wolverine is mean to Clint about his dead wife)

The plot of Ultimates 3 hinges around a leaked sex tape between Iron Man and Black Widow. It's barely relevant to the wider continuity beyond one important event that launches Ultimatum, but it's a pretty fun read in an entertainingly stupid way, and could potentially have been legitimately good if it took itself less seriously.

Ultimatum is grim, unpleasant, stupid and pointless. It "ruins Ultimate Marvel" by snuffing a tremendous amount of beloved characters. If you want to know about Ultimatum for continuity purposes, I would skip the comic and just read the lists of deaths on the Wikipedia article -- it's an entire page long on my laptop screen.

Saeku
Sep 22, 2010

Sarchasm posted:

I just came to the end of Remender's run on Venom. Do I stop now, or bravely press on into Cullen Bunn territory?

Edit: The next arc is called "Monsters of Evil," that does not sound promising.

The Toxin With A Vengeance TPB, as mentioned above, is potentially worth reading for excellent Declan Shalvey fight artwork. Other than that, nothing interesting or remotely intelligent happens until the character re-appears in Superior Spider-Man.