Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

AXE COP posted:

There was a 'what if' style comic where Superman was British. Pretty funny if you're from the country. I read it ages ago so I can't remember if it was very good but I think it was called Superman: True Brit?

It was. Written by John Cleese, as a matter of fact.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Action Tortoise posted:

I really enjoyed the latest Moon Knight issue. I know that there was an attempt to revamp the character a few years ago. Is it worth reading or should I stick to the older volumes?

Also is there a specific event tied to Carol Danvers becomming Captain Marvel? And are there any good runs with her as Ms. Marvel? The character looks cool and I wanna read about the transition.

The last Moon Knight series was the Bendis-written one, which had some interesting idea but was, in the end, a Very Bendis Book; if you enjoy his work, great, try it out. Otherwise, it's missable. The 2006 relaunch by Charlie Huston got very good reviews and was definitely an exploration of "hey look this guy might be a superhero and all but he's also fuckin' nuts" that I think was far superior.

As for Carol, her adoption of the Captain Marvel name came pretty much out of the blue; there was an issue of... I want to say Avengers Assemble... that featured her and Captain America and Cap basically told her "hey it's time to get out of the first Captain Marvel's shadow" that came not long after AvX but it wasn't an event-driven shift; it was one of those decisions that was almost certainly editorially pushed, or at least pushed by the writer (Kelly Sue DeConnick), but it felt - at least to me - like one of those decisions that had been a long time coming anyway, so there was no burning need to get all nerdrage-y about it.

I haven't read any of the early, early appearances of the character so I can't comment on those - but most were written by Chris Claremont which ought to give you an idea, I suspect. Brian Reed's relaunch of the Ms. Marvel title (just after House of M) was, I thought, really very good - albeit kind of uneven at times, and all too often saddled with very cheesecake-y art. When it was good it was very, very good, though. Plus it had the "Carol Danvers and Spider-Man go on a date" issue which was wonderful.

You could make a fairly compelling case that the entire events of that series serves as the impetus for Carol to adopt the Captain Marvel ID, really - the kickoff idea was that Carol did go by Captain Marvel in the House of M reality, and she was a big shot - the Superman equivalent, basically - and she felt, once House of M ended, like she had seen a glimpse of her potential, and that she hadn't been living up to that potential, so it was time to get her rear end in gear.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

It was John Ney Reiber's Captain America run, the run that preceded Ed Brubaker's (so 2001-ish). I've never heard anyone discuss it, though.

It was a decent run that wasn't as good as it thought it was - which is to day, it was a solid bunch of comics that thought it was the Biggest Deal Ever with a Real Gritty Story Ripped From The Headlines. So... eh. Pretty, though.

Metal Loaf posted:

Is the Paul Cornell "Black Ring" run on Action Comics worth checking out?

Yes. Amazing run, arguably the best thing he's written (though Captain Britain and MI-13 gives it a run for its money).

I like his Wolverine run a lot more than most around here, but even so his earlier work set such a high bar that it's tough for him to live up to it, methinks.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

redbackground posted:

Never read it. :shrug:

You should fix that.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

azren posted:

Thanks, I'll make sure to look those up!

edit: is any specific identity of Captain/Ms/Miss Marvel recommended? From a cursory glance (not going into anything very much), Kamala Khan seems promising.

Carol Danvers is the standard-bearer for the Ms. Marvel (currently Captain Marvel) identity; Kamala Khan is a great character but her series is only six issues old and so she might not have the depth of material needed for an academic study.

And yeah, IIRC Carol never went by Miss Marvel (I don't think anyone did, actually). It was always 'Ms.,' which - given her 1977 debut - was attempting to tie into the zeitgeist a bit by presenting her as strong and independent despite the fact that she was essentially a spinoff character.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

CowboyAndy posted:

I read through Remender's run of X-Force thanks to this thread. How has Spurrier's run been of X-force? Worth checking out?

Amazing. I wasn't feeling the first few issues - that happens sometimes with Spurrier - but once you get a couple issues in and see where he's going with it even the issues I wasn't sold on look better in hindsight. So damned good.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Shawn posted:

Young Justice

The only correct answer, honestly.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

irlZaphod posted:

As others have said, yes, the Civil War tie-in issues of Brubaker's Cap are very seamless. He just continued his own plot threads during it. Also, what comes afterward is basically one of my favourite parts to that run, so you should definitely stick with it.

Yes, but there's also the Madrox mini which Peter David did with Pablo Raimondi before his X-Factor run. It's a fantastic little mini-series, and while you don't really need to read it to follow X-Factor, it is a nice little introduction to it.

The biggest reason to connect the Madrox mini to X-Factor is that it was where the notion of Madrox sending his duplicates out to learn things and have experiences and then come back to him to download those experiences into his head came from; the idea of duplicates manifesting personalities all their own sprang from that mini as well (or at least was massively expanded upon, as I think PAD started playing with that notion back in v1 of X-Factor).

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Wheat Loaf posted:

You may also enjoy JSA by Geoff Johns, which spun out of Grant Morrison's JLA. It's one of my top five favourite superhero comics of all time; the second of three omnibus collections was recently published.

While I agree with this recommendation wholeheartedly, it's important to note that you want Johns' JSA - when it's relaunched as Justice Society of America it becomes a steaming turd that you should avoid.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

LordPants posted:

So that's where Hard Hat Spidey came from

Yeah, when the issue was new someone posted that page and everyone who had something interesting or at least vaguely amusing to say about it got an avatar. I think there's only like three of us left that still have it but for a while there there were entire pages in BSS full of nothing but Hardhat Spidey avatars.

It was glorious.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Teenage Fansub posted:

Rick Remender's Uncanny X-Force might be one of the best comics you'll ever read, so I'd give that a shot.

While this is an undeniably true statement, it's also not the best advice for someone looking to follow up X-Factor; the tonal shift between those two books would be... jarring.

I mean, it's an amazing book, it's just... besides having an X in the front they're really not books that have much in common.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Endless Mike posted:

Starlin cosmic stuff is annoying since it's spread across a dozen titles over 20 or 30 years since he'd like to have a one-issue appearance of Silver Surfer or Adam Warlock in some other random title he was writing up until he got the second Surfer volume going. I wish there was a reading order out there, but I feel like that would be a hell of a task.

It's worth noting that Starlin had the idea for characters like Thanos and couldn't get on a cosmic book so he debuted them in Iron Man.

Thanos:Starlin::Mantis:Englehart, is what I'm saying.