Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Genetic Toaster
Jun 5, 2011

zoux posted:

100 Bullets, too, maybe?

100 Bullets is very much love it or hate it (I personally love it) and drops the gritty crime drama aspect partway through to focus on a conspiracy plot. It's super hard to get into and ridiculously hard to follow (I only really started to understand the plot after reading that fan website), so I wouldn't recommend it to someone trying to get into comic books.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Genetic Toaster
Jun 5, 2011

Senor Candle posted:

I would maybe recommend the first trade at least. I think it's super solid story by itself.

Maybe Brother Lono? It eschews the Minuteman conspiracy plot for south of the border crime story but it's even harder to get into and I'm not sure whether it stands up on its own, rather than as an epilogue to 100 Bullets.

Genetic Toaster
Jun 5, 2011

irlZaphod posted:

I can't even fathom how horrible a Claremont/Millar Wolverine book would be.

Rape, mind control, and Sage all the way down.

Genetic Toaster
Jun 5, 2011

I've completely avoided Secret Wars thusfar, but I picked up Civil War on a whim (because the film, and also because Soule writes good funny books), and it's gotten me interested in the rest of the Battleworld books.

Are any of the other series' absolutely essential? In terms of quality, rather than importance to the main plot.

Genetic Toaster
Jun 5, 2011

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

Seconded. In fact, it's the only run I can think of that humanizes Cyclops and makes him cool.

Morrison's New X-Men does a great job with that, too. It has the best Cyclops/Wolverine one-shot ever.