Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

bobkatt013 posted:

This should have been a bit messier.

A more innocent time, when Wolverine couldn't walk off a fall from low orbit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I liked "The Twelve" but most people don't.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I think she's mainly explored in JSA by Geoff Johns, I think.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Hakkesshu posted:

Is PAD's original X-Factor run actually collected? The Essentials stop right before his run starts.

Yep. There's four "X-Factor Visionaries: Peter David" trades. Not sure what their availability's like, though.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
The Stern omnibus is actually the only Spider-Man thing I own at the moment. I keep meaning to get the Lee/Ditko omnibuses because they seem to be constantly republished but there always seems to be something else I want to spend my money on.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Hugoon Chavez posted:

The last thing I read that scratched that itch was Invincible and it was everything I wanted. Hell I might just go read it again.

If you enjoyed Invincible, you might like Dynamo 5 by Jay Faerber and Mahmud Asrar.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

X-O posted:

There's 26 issues, including the 0 issue, the Annual and the Holiday Special and then there's a five issue mini that picks up after the series. It was not yanked, it was ended by the creators but they left the door open to do more down the line. It takes place in the same universe as Faerber's Noble Causes which is not as good but still a fun but different kind of read.

Faerber was working on a second miniseries with Julio Brilha (who pencilled the first miniseries) a few years ago, but nothing ever came of it. I think it was a question of the first one not doing as well as they'd hoped.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Brocktoon posted:

If I'm going to read Excalibur for the first time, is it worth reading the Davis/Delano Captain Britain series first?

It's not essential to Excalibur, but Alan Moore / Alan Davis / Jamie Delano Captain Britain is very good in its own right.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

B33rChiller posted:

Are these recommendations further Galactus stories, or more along the lines of first appearance/origin type stories? I will check them out, but I'm really looking for good stories beyond first appearance/origin type stories.

Mark Waid and Mike Wieringo did a good Galactus story when they had the book - their run as a whole is very good and definitely worth checking out if you're interested in the Fantastic Four. Maybe the second or third best there's been.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Mr Hootington posted:

Since Marvel unlimited has most of the Star Wars comics ever printed on it now I'm curious what is good? Is any of it good? Or should I just ignore all but the new books they are printing?

John Ostrander's Star Wars comics were generally very good. Agent of the Empire was an entertaining James Bond pastiche which was fairly accessible. The villain of its first arc was an older EU bad guy but the story as a whole was reasonably stand-alone.

My favourite weird Star Wars comic was one called Jedi vs Sith, on which I reminisced in the Star Wars comic thread a while ago.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Toxxupation posted:

Is Secret Invasion good? I'm looking for something as epic in scope as Hickman's Dark Reign to Secret Wars "run", any suggestions?

Secret Invasion wasn't great, in my view, but if you want something with that sense of scope and scale, the "cosmic" run that started with the Annihilation crossover and ran through Guardians of the Galaxy by Dan Abnett and Andy Lanning to Annihilation: Conquest is very highly regarded. There are several reading order charts, one of which will no doubt be posted shortly after I've made this post. :v:

Edit: Hold on, which Secret Invasion do you mean? Do you mean the one where a bunch of superheroes have been replaced by Skrulls, or the one where Nick Fury masterminds an invasion of Latveria?

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
My mistake. :shobon:

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I believe the Balder miniseries goes between Thor #369 and Thor #371 (Thor #370 was a fill-in issue, but not the one with Hercules).

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
What can anyone tell me about Wally Wood's T.H.U.N.D.E.R. Agents?

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
How is the Dynamite reboot of the Shadow?

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

pancreatic cancer posted:

what are the best hulk stories from the "hulk smash" era, i.e. when he was just stupid as gently caress and angry all the time. i've read all the peter david issues and it was good but he's never really stupid very much in it. i want him dumb as hell and just punching the poo poo out of modok or whatever. thanks.

It'd be the Bronze Age runs by guys like Roy Thomas and Steve Englehart when Hulk would fight the likes of the Bi-Beast, the Glob, the Missing Link, Rhino, Sandman and Juggernaut. There's a Roy Thomas / Herb Trimpe story I really like where Hulk fights the Absorbing Man, and that's Hulk #125, so maybe in and around that era.

Bill Mantlo Hulk is pretty good as well. He was on the book from 1980 through 1985, so there's a lot of stuff from him. The peak of it is probably Hulk #300 where Hulk fights the Avengers in New York City.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Fantastic Four #57-60.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Jerry Cotton posted:

Serious question: has a Simonson had a bad run on anything?

I'm afraid so - it was his brief Avengers run in the late 1980s.

Definitely not up to his usual standard.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I think that might have been either Bob Harras or the very short Larry Hama run (which also introduced Rage) in between them.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Schneider Heim posted:

What are some good runs for Captain America? I've read most of the Brubaker run and loved it.

Roger Stern (w) and John Byrne (a) from the early 1980s; pretty short run but it's got the Cap for President story and the one where he teams up with Union Jack to fight the Nazi vampire Baron Blood.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

obi_ant posted:

Finally collected Geoff's three omnibuses for Green Lantern. Just wondering was there something else I needed to pick up before I jump in.

Not specifically Johns, but if you enjoy his GL, definitely check out the concurrent Green Lantern Corps series, variously written by Dave Gibbons, Peter Tomasi and others.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Which Elseworlds collections do I positively have to have? I have my eye on the Batman collections they just released, especially the first one. I'm intrigued by the Supes collection on the way but am worried the premises are the best part and the stories are dogshit. I'm also eyeing up that big trade that celebrates Mignola's work for DC. Anything else? How's the Justice League one?

Keep in mind I have Kingdom Come, Red Son and I cherish New Frontier the way seniors cherish their grandchildren. I also think Gotham by Gaslight is one of the best alternate history type stories ever, and don't really dig the Batman/Dracula stuff.

JLA: The Nail / Another Nail.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

joehonkie posted:

I really need to read Another Nail. The Nail was so good.

It's not as good as the Nail but it's Alan Davis at the top of his game as an artist and it's worth it for that alone.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I've read a lot of comics with Batman in them, but they're mainly issues of Justice League or Superman in which Batman appears. I've never really been a Batman reader. Therefore, could I ask for some Batman recommendations?

I am obviously aware of Morrison Batman and everything after but that's much bigger and wider than I feel like getting into for the time being. So stuff from before that. Maybe pre-Hush stuff generally.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Covok posted:

There is also an 80% off sale on Star Wars comics. Does anyone know any good reads?

https://m.comixology.com/Super-Sized-Star-Wars-Sale/list/21320

Most of John Ostrander's stuff is pretty good. I would personally recommend those Rise of the Sith and Clone Wars Epic Collections but that's probably just my own preference.

Agent of the Empire was a fun James Bond pastiche.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I believe Rucka began as a novelist before he wrote comics. How are his novels?

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Skwirl posted:

It's genre stuff, but good genre stuff.

So fantasy, science-fiction or...?

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Gaz-L posted:

Mostly spy/crime fiction, actually.

I like that sort of thing, much more so than science-fiction and fantasy, actually.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

canyonero posted:

If I really loved Invincible, what should I read next? I binged the whole series pretty hard and didn't really notice a drop off in quality that people here talk about.

I've read the first few Walking Dead collections to know it's not really for me. I think my tastes are pretty mainstream, but I don't really enjoy most DC or Marvel series (one offs are great though like Red Son and Superman: Birthright).

Jay Faerber wrote Noble Causes and Dynamo 5 for Image; they're not dissimilar to Invincible. Sometimes Invincible characters have cameo appearances in them. Unfortunately, Dynamo 5 was never finished.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Does anyone have recommendations for non-superhero "adventure" type stories? Not necessarily in a "period" setting like Indiana Jones, but that would be a potential bonus since it aligns with my interests. Something where the hero is a sort of globetrotting sort, like a spy or a journalist or a researcher, who travels to exotic locations where they thwart villains and solve mysteries, that sort of thing.

I know there are European comics like Modesty Blaise and Tintin that are all over this, so I'm happy to take whatever, just so long as it's something I can get hold of (ideally legally).

Wheat Loaf fucked around with this message at 22:41 on Jun 28, 2018

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Gaz-L posted:

Athena Voltaire is a series I always mean to check out and it looks like it's that exact vibe, but I can't vouch for it's quality.

I've seen that one. Haven't read it either myself.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

zoux posted:

However the whole red blue Superman thing happens in the middle of it so suddenly you’re trying to figure that out.

Much worse is the ending of the first or second issue of the Rock of Ages arc, where the League and the Injustice Gang both detect something mysterious approaching from outer space then the next issue ignores it and continues the JLA storyline because that cliffhanger had been setting up the now-forgotten John Byrne miniseries Genesis.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I think most people liked Geoff Johns's run on Wally. It has some stuff that's a bit "Johnsian Literalism" in retrospect (Captain COLD was abused by his father, a COLD man, which left him with a COLD heart, and now he wants the rest of the world to be just as COLD as he is; also, the only place he felt secure as a child was his uncle's ICE CREAM TRUCK, because it was COLD) but on the whole I think it's very good, probably one of the best things Johns has written.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I liked Dynamo 5 while it existed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Too bad it never got that last miniseries (which I think Faerber said would finish the story).