Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
Is Cassaday the reason why Planetary took so long to finish? What's with his delays?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)

MrCompson posted:

crime fiction/noir or character driven comics of any kind are of particular interest to me.

Try the Dennis O'Neil run of The Question from the 80s. It's great, but I'm not sure how to acquire it nowadays.

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
Astonishing first, then maybe check out the Claremont/Byrne era before going to Morrison's X-Men.

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
X-books recommendation: I recommend X-Men Legacy by Spurrier, it's self-contained, conclusive, and really good. There's also X-23 by Marjorie Liu, though Bendis has sort of disregarded and ruined all of Laura's character development in that book.

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
What FF runs are worth reading, aside from Lee/Kirby, Waid/Wieringo, and Hickman?

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
Thank you! I love Simonson's work on Thor, didn't know he had a great run with the FF.

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
What are some good runs for Captain America? I've read most of the Brubaker run and loved it.

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
Morrison's New X-Men run introduces Quire.

Jason Aaron's Schism and Wolverine and the X-Men follow through mostly.

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)

Irukandji Syndrome posted:

I am completely new to comics, though I have your usual familiarity with the characters due to movies, games and general cultural knowledge. I like Spider-Man (any Spider-Man, whether it's Peter or Miles or what have you) and clean, stylized art that's easy on the eyes over, like, gritty rippling muscles and a million black-line wrinkles on everyone's face. (No offense to anyone who likes that style, it's just not my preference as far as aesthetics.) Can someone recommend me a good starting point?

Spider-Man: Blue might be good for you, if you want to read about him.

As for art you're looking for, I think Chris Samnee fits the description, he's worked on some good comics like Thor: The Mighty Avenger, Daredevil with Mark Waid, and Black Widow (with Waid again).

There is also Gwenpool drawn by Gurihiru.

Mine: Is there a good Hawkman run?

Lily Catts fucked around with this message at 11:06 on Jul 21, 2017

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
Watson & Holmes is an indie comic reimagining Sherlock Holmes in modern-day Harlem.

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
I'm a sucker for post-JiM Loki as well.

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)

B33rChiller posted:

Hey folks, DC has a big sale going on, and I have only ever read marvel. Looking to start reading some other stuff. Can you give me some recommendations from what is on sale right now? There is way too much to choose from, so any recs, just what you have enjoyed reading would be appreciated. I am open to anything, so long as someone here considers it good.

The Multiversity by Grant Morrison is super cheap ($5 sale price compared to $35). Actually most stuff by him is pretty good, though some BSS posters don't like him very much. His work on Batman (especially Batman and Robin where Dick assumes the Bat-mantle) and JLA (with Howard Porter) are excellent. Also rear end (All-Star Superman).

52 was what got me into reading DC. It focuses not on the big stars (i.e. Superman, Batman, Wonder Woman) but on an ensemble cast.

Hitman by Garth Ennis is very fun and irreverent without going too much into Ennis's excesses (though be warned that there is a character who "fights evil with the power of perversion" and it goes exactly how you think). It's about a hitman (duh) with powers in the meanest part of Gotham.

I'm also a fan of Planetary by Warren Ellis, it's about a team investigating weird stuff from ghosts to kaiju to other dimensions (and they fight an evil pastiche of the Fantastic Four). I especially like the one-shot crossover with Batman that sort of celebrates how the character has evolved throughout the years and yet distills him to his very core.

Lily Catts fucked around with this message at 06:26 on Nov 22, 2017

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)

Retro Futurist posted:

I don't think I could recommend Multiversity to someone who hasn't read any DC. You need Final Crisis to make sense of it, and bunch of other things to make sense of FC.

I love Morrison and all his works but that's not a great starting point. His JLA would be a lot better or All Star Superman.

It is a good deal, though! (but yeah I agree)

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
Uh, so after finishing the Nu52 run of Justice League, I'm interested in Face Turn Luthor and Jessica Cruz. What good series should I read if I want to experience more of them? I'm aware of Rebirth Action Comics and Green Lantern(s?), but are there others?

Also, I'm looking for good Hal Jordan stories. That is, stories that are good and only work if it's Hal (and not any other Green Lantern). I would like to get into him more because he's the character who gets the most attention, but I don't really want a huge reading order of trades or something.

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)

Teenage Fansub posted:

Especially since you read Darkseid War, pick up the amazing Tom King/Doc Shaner Hal Jordan Green Lantern tie-in.
There should be a collection of all of the side issues in that digital sale.
New Frontier has good Hal. The whole pilot aspect perfectly fits the period.

As for Lex, he was in Greg Pak's Action Comics for a few spots, and that's just a great comic anyway.
'Superman' is dealing with his whole Apokolips god-hood right now.

Is that collection the one labeled The Darkseid War, where Hal saves Oa and loses his godhood?

I have New Frontier too but still haven't read it.

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
Yeah that one, I quite liked it. Hal's was the one that stood out quite a bit.

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)

Retro Futurist posted:

Yep, start at Rebirth and stop after Blackest Night (although I kind of liked War of the Green Lanterns but a lot don't)

How many issues/trades is that?

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
Jack Kirby made a lot of great stuff in Marvel and DC, but which ones would you recommend as his best work? (I'd prefer it to be more Marvel-weighted, but I'd love to check out his DC output too, I got Demon from the holiday sale)

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
Thanks for the recs. I've been contemplating on doing a chronological reading of Kirby to see his development as an artist and a writer, but I could settle for the best hits first. I have most of the Lee/Kirby F4 run in trades so I'll probably go through that first.

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
I'm making a coming-of-age comic about a girl who goes on a road trip with a ghost who used to be the previous driver of her vintage muscle car. For reference and inspiration, are there any nice comics that have the following elements?

- road trips (preferably just two people)
- emphasis on car detail/realism
- sincerity and thoughtfulness

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)

Skwirl posted:

I can't think of any comics that fit your description, but I'd recommend The Getaway with Steve McQueen as a film to watch if you've got 2 hours free.

Doesn't need to have all in one work, but thanks!

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
Ellis's Moon Knight run also breathed new life into the character and undid the damage that Bendis did.

Also Squirrel Girl has a great ongoing now after decades of being treated as a joke.

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)

Beef Jerky Robot posted:

So Spider-Man and the X-Men is now maybe my favorite series ever, any recommendations for tonally similar books? Team ups appreciated but not necessary.

What have you read? Jason Aaron's Wolverine and the X-Men run was great (though a bit marred by crossovers), and would provide more background on the X-Men status quo in Spider-Man and the X-Men.

I'd suggest Spider-Man/Deadpool but I haven't even finished the first trade...

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
Duggan's Deadpool is pretty great, too. Also Nicieza's Cable & Deadpool. Funny and occasionally touching.

Avoid Way though.

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)

obi_ant posted:

I've been eyeing Moon Knight By Brian Michael Bendis, any good?

Bendis shits on established continuity and inserts his own take. That's it.

I'm meeting my friend in a week and I've been thinking of gifting her a graphic novel. She's just read Lemire's Essex Country and loved it. Daytripper is also one of her favorites. She's a high school teacher and reads a lot of literature. What would be some good books for her?

Hard mode: no Sandman (she already has it I think)

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
I think a shorter graphic novel would do better than a long or ongoing series, but The Unwritten does sound like something my friend would enjoy.

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
I'm creating a basic reading guide for my MCU-loving friends who want to get into comics. One area where I'm drawing a blank is Vision and Scarlet Witch. Aside from their recent comics, what are good and cool storylines centered on them? They don't have to be together, and no I'm not including House of M in the list.

Also, Thanos outside of Infinity Gauntlet, I guess? I'm not really a fan so I don't know too much of him outside of funny stuff like Star-Lord punching him in the junk (where was that from, anyway?).

Lily Catts fucked around with this message at 03:44 on May 8, 2018

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
Also Al Ewing

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)

Spacebump posted:

Is Ben Reilly not the main character in Scarlet Spider? I feel like I've missed so much.

edit: is Spider Island worth reading?
There was a Scarlet Spider run a few years back by Yost which featured Kaine in Houston. It's pretty good.

And no, Spider-Island isn't worth reading.

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
I just want to read about Autobot Megatron. What series/volumes should I check out?

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)

Sanford posted:

I read The Omega Men and it was cool and good; any more reasonably recent mainstream DC titles I should check out? I prefer a self-contained story but am well versed in the lore if that's a consideration.

(I have Vision, JSA: The Golden Age and DC: The New Frontier set aside for my holiday as per replies to my previous question!)

Try Dial H by China Mieville!

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)

Sanford posted:

I have two books, did it go beyond that?

Ah no, that's pretty much it.

I also enjoyed Nu52's Midnighter by Steve Orlando. Very violent and had a surprising emotional core to it.

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
I have a request that might be strange. What are the good superhero story arcs that count as isekai? Isekai is a Japanese subgenre of people being transported into another world, usually a fantasy one (i.e. Magic Knight Rayearth, Escaflowne, Digimon, Konosuba).

I know there are a lot, like Remender's Dimension Z story arc for Captain America, Doomquest, but I wanna learn about the best ones.

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)

X-O posted:

The recent Weirdworld series is screaming out your name.

Also Birthright from Image is really good.

I have the Weirdworld comic, it's great, but it's about a kid. I'm thinking more of actual heroes.

Skwirl posted:

Exiles is about a bunch of alternate reality X-Men being transported to a bunch of other alternate realities.

I missed this! But it goes downhill after a certain point, right?

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
I'm making a list of titles/runs to introduce MCU fans to the comics. My goal is just to get fans of the movies to read good stories and not be too scared or daunted by the sheer amount of content. My criteria are:

1. Not (too) continuity-heavy
2. Starring mostly MCU characters (no heavy focus on X-Men, Fantastic Four)
3. Familiar storylines
4. Establishes a good feel for the character(s) that are more or less similar to their MCU versions

With that criteria, here's what I came up with:

1. Captain America by Ed Brubaker (specifically, the Winter Soldier arc) - do I really need to explain this?
2. Iron Man: Extremis by Warren Ellis - was the basis for IM3 and reinvigorated the character (citation needed?)
3. Thor: God of Thunder by Jason Aaron - incredibly good and metal
4. Ultimate Spider-Man by Brian Michael Bendis - teenage Spidey goodness without the continuity baggage of 616
5. Avengers and New Avengers by Jonathan Hickman - inspired some parts of Avengers: Infinity War, long but epic storytelling
6. Doctor Strange: The Oath by Brian K. Vaughn - Strange is a dick who tries his best to be good
7. Invincible Iron Man by Matt Fraction - while not *that* good, it was quite interesting in a way that they steered the direction of Iron Man's character towards RDJ's version, and it ran alongside the Iron Man movies
8. Black Widow by Nathan Edmonson & Phil Noto (who was 80% instrumental in making the book shine) - RED IN MY LEDGER done well

Other honorable mentions are Robbie Thompson's Spidey, which would be a lot shorter than USM, Waid & Samnee's Black Widow for a more adventurous, high-octane take on the character, Thor the Mighty Avenger for a self-contained, short, yet endearing run, Walt Simonson's Thor inspired Thor: Ragnarok, and is just super-good (despite being very old by MCU fan standards), Bendis's New Avengers which did breathe new life to the Avengers after dissassembling them... I'm missing Hulk, Black Panther, and Guardians of the Galaxy (DnA's run is too mired in continuity, while Bendis's blows) in the mix, because I'm not too well-read on them. Planet Hulk seems to require some backstory, and I'm not sure about Priest's BP run.

Any thoughts?

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)

Samuringa posted:

Hickman's Avengers and New Avengers were confusing as gently caress and I'm sort of used to comics.

There's also a criminal lack of Fraction's Hawkeye there.

Coates' Black Panther is not as punchymans as other comics but it brings light to some things people brought up when watching the movie.

The Immortal Iron Fist so they can see what he is really like.

I don't think DnA's GOTG is too confusing, you just have to preface it with Annihilation and Annihilation˛ which are essentially small reboots of the cosmic universe.

I didn't include Hawkeye because while excellent, it does not reflect MCU Clint very much, but I can put it there with the caveat that 616 Clint will be quite different.

I read Annihilation and it was quite confusing, plus Richard Rider is the main character and he doesn't have an MCU equivalent yet, so I'm hesitant to recommend it.

I have not read Coates' BP, is it any good? It was polarizing last time I checked.

Uthor posted:

I'm a huge Hickman fan, but found his Avengers stuff too long and too repetitive and too "meh" and would probably revolt if given as a new fan.

Maybe Infinity Gauntlet? Kind of obvious? I don't know if it'd be too campy for a new reader, and the Avengers play a much smaller role. I dunno.

The Ultimates is an obvious pick as they inspired a lot of the tone of the movies, but they don't have a good reputation around here.

Yeah I missed Ultimates, but I don't think it's a good read considering how fairly mean-spirited everyone is (2 is very cringeworthy with the whole Ultimate Hawkeye thing, but 1 is also quite dire with the Giant-Man/Wasp/Captain America subplot).

The OG Infinity Gauntlet is a bit too dated and I don't think it's accessible enough to readers. But then again I thought of adding Hickman's Avengers and... yeah

zoux posted:

Hickman's whole thing from FF4 through Secret Wars is one of the great successes of comics storytelling but it is not for beginners. There were tons of characters in there I'd never heard of, much less someone who only knows people from the movies.

I don't think Planet Hulk is that inaccessible, you just have to know that The Powers that Be viewed Hulk as such a threat that they shot him into space. Everything else is new to 616 (afaik)

I never read the Bendis guardians stuff but my understanding is that they basically rewrote the Guardians to be 100% like the movies. I know people have problems with that run but you have to remember that people brand new to comics aren't gonna have the same problems with story/character stuff that long time readers do.

I read the first volume of Bendis's Guardians. It was okay but sort of lacking? I think the inclusion of Iron Man to the team was pure fanservice. Maybe it picks up after Angela appears though it's been poorly reviewed by most people in general.

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
Which is friendlier to the newbie Aquaman reader? Nu52 or Rebirth run? I might buy both vol 1s and wait for the next sales, but there might be better choices.

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)

Teenage Fansub posted:

Johns/Parker is better than Abnett, imo.
I don't really remember how either one read at their first issues, but they should both be fine to jump in to. I guess Johns' would be easier since it was a newly rebooted universe and all.

I got both!

Is there a reading order for Morrison's pre-Nu52 Batman run? There's a lot of trades and I'd like to read them in chronological order. And I don't mind spoilers, could someone list down the major story beats?

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
I'm looking for Iron Man comics for my girlfriend, who loves RDJ Iron Man. She's not a comics fan so I want something that doesn't require extensive context.

I guess nothing older than 2000, unless the story is very timeless/self-contained (I liked Demon in a Bottle but I don't think it's right up her alley)? My picks are Extremis, Fraction/Larroca run, and maybe Gillen's run, but ugh Greg Land...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
Thanks for the recommendations, everyone. However, I'm thinking that an art book/guidebook might be a better option?

There's this Iron Man: The Ultimate Guide to the Armored Super Hero (https://www.amazon.com/Iron-Man-Ultimate-Guide-Armored/dp/0756657490), and The Art of Iron Man (https://www.amazon.com/Art-Iron-Man-10th-anniversary/dp/1785659502), based from the reviews they don't look like cheap cash grabs. Anyone thoughts?